Atlanta Dolphins?

Well, Coach Smith and Marlarkey hired who they think we help them implement their new system. I'm not so worry about the hiring. and simply its too early to tell how are we going to do next year. It's all speculation at the moment.

Another thing, Miami wasn't that bad of a team. Injuries and the AFC schedule basically it what cost them to have their record. If they play in the NFC, I think they would win at least a few more games.

We hired 1 dolphins coach, and the unit that he coached was very good...

Armstrong joins the Falcons following seven seasons as the special teams coordinator for the Miami Dolphins. The 14-year NFL coaching veteran was instrumental in leading rookie punt returner Ted Ginn, Jr., who finished fourth in the AFC with a 9.6 return average. Ginn also returned 63 kickoffs for 1,433 yards (22.7 avg.)

From 2001-2006, the Dolphins finished in the top eight in the NFL in punt return defense all but one season under Armstrong s direction. During that same time frame, Miami opponents averaged 6.1 yards per punt return, including a 4.5-yard mark in 2001 when they led the League in the category. In 2003, the Dolphins ranked first in the NFL in opponents average starting field position with a 25.0-yard line mark and finished second in the same category in 2006 with a 24.9 figure.

Prior to joining the Dolphins, Armstrong served in the same role with the Chicago Bears from 1997-2000. In 2000, Chicago s special teams unit ranked fourth in the NFL in punt return defense, allowing an average of just 7.0 yards per return. In his four seasons with the Bears, the special teams unit ranked in the top ten in the League in punt return average, punt coverage and kickoff coverage twice in each category.

UGA_DAWG46 (1/29/2008)
Well, Coach Smith and Marlarkey hired who they think we help them implement their new system. I'm not so worry about the hiring. and simply its too early to tell how are we going to do next year. It's all speculation at the moment.

Another thing, Miami wasn't that bad of a team. Injuries and the AFC schedule basically it what cost them to have their record. If they play in the NFC, I think they would win at least a few more games.

While I understand the OP's point, I agree with you here. I watched them on a couple of games, including that 3-0 loss at the Steelers, when I believe they were using their backup QB most the whole game. They were really better than their record said, not that that's saying all that much, but still. Rather than looking at it as we got coaches from the worst team, I just look at it as we got coaches from another team that's about on our same level. Maybe not much of an upgrade, but I'm not convinced it is necessarily a downgrade either. The more I read about Roboskie (sp?) the better I've felt about him anyway. Chin up Falcons fans! It's a long road, but at least we're on our way!

frankthetank966 (1/29/2008)
Whats with the hiring of all the Miami Dolphins coaches? I am starting to get worried about these hirings. The Dolphins were terrible last year, and their coaches weren't much better. Mularkey was enough, we dont need to hire a few other guys from them. I am guessing Mularkey has some say in the hirings which is weird.

Every team doesn't stink because of coaching alone. YOU DON'T GET TO BE AN NFL COACH BY NOT KNOWING WHAT YOU'RE DOING...PERIOD. There are so many things that go into a team being successful and coaching is one of them, but the organization has to draft well, players have to play, you have to be lucky and not get too many injuries, your schedule has a lot to do with it, etc. At least recognize the fact that these coaches are professionals in their field especially for guys that have played in the NFL and coachED in the NFL for 10+ years.

Robriskie has been coaching in the NFL since 1982 and spent 5 years as an offensive coordinator. He is respected enough that twice he was named interim head coach when coaches got fired.

Mularkey has been coaching in the NFL since 1994, after a 9 year playing career. He was an offensive coordinator for four of those seasons and did well enough to get a job as a head coach. Remember also that he was in Miami in part because he wanted to be close to his home, he grew up in Ft. Lauderdale. Mularkey had other opportunties last season if he wanted them.

Armstrong has been coaching in the NFL since 1994 and been a special teams coordinator since 1997. He was well enough thought of that Jauron kept him on when Wannstedt was fired, then Wannstedt brought him back down to Miami where both Saban and Cameron retained him.

This is WAY better than the low rent staff we had last season. Last year it was Zimmer and Hue, both of whom had worked with Petrino when they were younger, some holdovers from the Mora staff and then a bunch of clowns from Louisville who had no business coaching in the NFL. It is absolutely telling to me that the offensive line coach followed Petrino to Arkansas. That guy was clearly a yes man/Petrino butt-boy who had no talent. Besides Nix, who went back to college, and the guys who went with Petrino, I have not heard of any of them getting jobs this season.

Go check out some of the other staffs around the NFL. For a first time head coach the staff we are putting together is fine.

With Armstrong we have a coach with 2 very recent highlights, because of Miami.

1st they punted a lot, so he had a lot time to perfect his craft in gametime situations.

2nd they got scored on alot, so he too has a lot of gametime coaching on kick returns.

He should be able to improve our special teams, and I'm all for it.

I like Armstrong as a SC

To all thoses badmouthing the coaches we've hired, I'd like you to think about a few things first:

1. How many coaches can you name on the staffs of New England, Green Bay, Giants, and Chargers staff?

2. Two years ago, fans in Green Bay and NY were calling for their coach's heads. How'd that turn out?

3. Swap Miami's and NE's coaching staffs this past season. How different would things have turned out? NE would still be in the Super Bowl and Miami possibly would have won 2 more games.

Coaching is very important, but talent wins. Sure we didn't get the big names but that's fine with me. I want a coach that is HUNGRY. My only questionable hire is Van Gorder, but I've read where Mike Smith will be preparing the defense and VG will just be calling plays.

Atleast we didn't hire Pete Carroll.

high voltage (1/30/2008)
To all thoses badmouthing the coaches we've hired, I'd like you to think about a few things first:

1. How many coaches can you name on the staffs of New England, Green Bay, Giants, and Chargers staff?

2. Two years ago, fans in Green Bay and NY were calling for their coach's heads. How'd that turn out?

Coaching is very important, but talent wins. Sure we didn't get the big names but that's fine with me. I want a coach that is HUNGRY. My only questionable hire is Van Gorder, but I've read where Mike Smith will be preparing the defense and VG will just be calling plays.

Atleast we didn't hire Pete Carroll.

HERE!! HERE!! I Agree 100%

Here is proof good people come from bad teams and vice versa :)

Wes Welker was on the Dolphins last year - went from 7-9 dolphins to the 18-0 patriots.

Randy Moss was on the Raiders last year - went from 3-13 raiders to the 18-0 patriots.

Cam Cameron was the Chargers OC 2 years ago - went from 14-2 chargers to the 1-15 dolphins.

Most of the time the issue with bad teams is really a bad combination of players. Every team has talent, but they don't work well together. Same for coaches... some coaches fail with one team and excell with other... look at Bill Belicheck

UGA_DAWG46 (1/29/2008)

Did you say Miami wasnt that bad of team? Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand genades and they ALMOST won some games BUT they LOST ALL but one.

RICARDO VIALPANDO (1/30/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (1/29/2008)

Did you say Miami wasnt that bad of team? Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand genades and they ALMOST won some games BUT they LOST ALL but one.

I see your point about horseshoes & hand grenades, but I agree with him. I'm going only by the few games I watched them play, but their defense kept them in those games. They just consistently struggled on offense. Plus, they didn't have much bench depth to deal w/injuries. Sound familiar?

falconfootball (1/30/2008)
RICARDO VIALPANDO (1/30/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (1/29/2008)

I see your point about horseshoes & hand grenades, but I agree with him. I'm going only by the few games I watched them play, but their defense kept them in those games. They just consistently struggled on offense. Plus, they didn't have much bench depth to deal w/injuries. Sound familiar?

Good point.

It's not like they were blown out every game. They were like us...within striking distance until something went wrong, like a key player injury with very little depth at that position, coupled with bad QB play.

And a coach that didn't know his azz from a hole in the ground.

londonfalcon (1/30/2008)
So if I've got this right - we've ONE coach from the Dolphins and the sky is falling is the correct reaction.;)

We could hire the entire Patriots team and staff - And half the users on this board would tell you it was a bad solution, and we will never win again;).

One thing i love about our new coaching staff is, that all the coaches have a lot of experience and they are known to be player friendly.

On his danish blog, Morten Andersen wrote about the time under Petrino. The short version was :

- He would never forget his first day back with the Falcons. The joy of playing football was nowhere to be found, and even the veteran players look as if, they had given up - It all pointed to Petrino.

- Morten Andersen tried to get closer to Petrino, but he came to the conclution, that Petrino didn't have even the basic skills of communication.

- Petrino wasn't comfortable when he was with the players and everything was stressed.

- Morten didn't see Petrino talk to the players - the only time he spoke to the players was, when he diciplined a player.

- The team lost a lot of games - Noone on the team wanted to play for Petrino.

- When Petrino ran away - a lot of the players was happy.

When i read this, i suddenly understood why Petrino choose to leave a note instead of talking to the players.

When you look at the new coaching staff, i believe they will do a better job of motivation and bringing back the joy of playing football - Maybe that is what we need!

Please forgive my poor spelling - I hope you understand what i'm saying.