Asteroid aims close, but won't hit Earth

Twinblade

Ethanga62890 (1/28/2008)
Twinblade (1/28/2008)
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/5484716.html

I have never knew nothing about this at all...To bad I don't have a telescope :(

There is another asteroid called Apophis or something that in 2029 will come within the outer rim of our satellites.

Hopefully Steve Buscemi, Bruce Willis, and Ben Affleck are still alive.

Twinblade (1/29/2008)
what would happen if it turned and goes towards earth, that would be messed up.

I remember hearing a story of a guy walking his dog in Arizona.. a meteorite struck, creating a crater and the only casualties were the man and his dog..

Now lets talk about something much much bigger =)

Ethanga62890 (1/28/2008)
Twinblade (1/28/2008)

I have never knew nothing about this at all...To bad I don't have a telescope :(

There is another asteroid called Apophis or something that in 2029 will come within the outer rim of our satellites.

Its just too bad it costs so much friggin money to put the cool plans we have in to effect.

Solar based energy systems and asteroid defense grids have been planned out since the mid 90's, it just costs billions upon billions to put them into production. We would never have to worry about asteroids and possibly energy ever again.

The theory goes like this...put a very, very , very large reflective array(or solar array) into space by building it in space. Using the mirror, you could direct it's light, and thus energy/photons at other objects, especially in space. The energy redirected would be enough to throw asteroids off course or destroy them altogether. Also, we could potentially beam collected energy down to Earth using lasers. Even simpler for energy is ability to gather charge on a wire while in space. They ran a test on a shuttle a few years ago where they suspended a wire into space and ran a charge through it. The thing produced so much energy so quick it...from what I remember...burned a hole in the wire and shorted the capacitors. And I dont believe it was all that long, or conducting a large charge at all. Imagine being able to harness that energy?

ki45toryu (1/30/2008)
Ethanga62890 (1/28/2008)
Twinblade (1/28/2008)

Its just too bad it costs so much friggin money to put the cool plans we have in to effect.

Solar based energy systems and asteroid defense grids have been planned out since the mid 90's, it just costs billions upon billions to put them into production. We would never have to worry about asteroids and possibly energy ever again.

The theory goes like this...put a very, very , very large reflective array(or solar array) into space by building it in space. Using the mirror, you could direct it's light, and thus energy/photons at other objects, especially in space. The energy redirected would be enough to throw asteroids off course or destroy them altogether. Also, we could potentially beam collected energy down to Earth using lasers. Even simpler for energy is ability to gather charge on a wire while in space. They ran a test on a shuttle a few years ago where they suspended a wire into space and ran a charge through it. The thing produced so much energy so quick it...from what I remember...burned a hole in the wire and shorted the capacitors. And I dont believe it was all that long, or conducting a large charge at all. Imagine being able to harness that energy?

Billions upon billions of dollars for that energy or billions to the current energy which will run out soon. Tough decision for me

Ethanga62890 (1/30/2008)
ki45toryu (1/30/2008)
Ethanga62890 (1/28/2008)
Twinblade (1/28/2008)

Billions upon billions of dollars for that energy or billions to the current energy which will run out soon. Tough decision for me

yeah...should we spend the $ on infinite energy and protect the planet from apocalypse, or should we spend the $ on energy that will run out and is polluting the earth and is lining the pockets of the religious crazies that want to bring on the apocalypse? that's a toughie.

XLDenaliReturns (1/30/2008)

yeah...should we spend the $ on infinite energy and protect the planet from apocalypse, or should we spend the $ on energy that will run out and is polluting the earth and is lining the pockets of the religious crazies that want to bring on the apocalypse? that's a toughie.

:blink::laugh:

Twinblade (1/30/2008)
Why don't we just build a huge space ship like you see in alot of fiction movies/games and when a huge asteroid comes...fly to it and blow it up.

Too expensive....and not because of the shuttle....but by the combined salary that Ben Afleck, Bruce Willis, Owen Wilson, Michael Clarke Duncan, Steve Buschemi, William Fichtner, Peter Stormare, Robert Duvall, Jon Favreau, and Blair Underwood commanded to accomplish the mission.

ki45toryu (1/30/2008)
Twinblade (1/30/2008)
Why don't we just build a huge space ship like you see in alot of fiction movies/games and when a huge asteroid comes...fly to it and blow it up.

Too expensive....and not because of the shuttle....but by the combined salary that Ben Afleck, Bruce Willis, Owen Wilson, Michael Clarke Duncan, Steve Buschemi, William Fichtner, Peter Stormare, Robert Duvall, Jon Favreau, and Blair Underwood commanded to accomplish the mission.

You are stealing my thunder man... Im always the guy that makes the Armageddon reference when people talk about a meteor.

You forgot to mention Aerosmith though. We cant save the world if Steven Tyler isnt singing in the background...

ki45toryu (1/30/2008)
Its all good, I combined it with a Deep Impact reference.

Double the fun.

But what if Owen Wilson gets up there and starts having those "bad thoughts" again and does something crazy that undermines the entire mission. You're gonna need a person up there watching him.