If Matt Ryan is so bad

ATLFalcfan

I really haven't seen a lot of Matt Ryan that I think is great. Actually, I haven't seen a lot of Matt Ryan that I think is good. I know a lot of posters say absolutely not to a Matt Ryan pick with our 1st but then why are so many mock drafts saying we pick Ryan? I'm not trying to start an argument or anything but I am interested in someone giving an intelligent argument for or against us picking him.

My biggest problem with drafting Ryan in the top 5 is paying him top 5 money. I just don't think he is that much better from a talent perspective to justify giving him that much more money than a guy that the Falcons could get in the 2nd round.

Perhaps I am just a little bit gunshy about the Falcons overpaying QBs these days.....

Bobbyj (1/28/2008)
I really haven't seen a lot of Matt Ryan that I think is great. Actually, I haven't seen a lot of Matt Ryan that I think is good. I know a lot of posters say absolutely not to a Matt Ryan pick with our 1st but then why are so many mock drafts saying we pick Ryan? I'm not trying to start an argument or anything but I am interested in someone giving an intelligent argument for or against us picking him.

Out of all the QBs in the draft...I feel Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, and Chad Henne are the only ones who look like the pros will be successful and an easy transition for them.

because they can, and this draft class is weak. ESPN is all about hyping up players. this year no1 stuck out. 1st it was brohm, then Woodson( when UK beat UofL), and now Matt Ryan. when a team is winning with an average QB, they will hype him up to look great. Most of the pro analysis are just saying what ESPN is saying in their own words.

For some reason, All of those "experts" say we NEED to draft QB with the 1st pick because of the void left by Vick. However, if they really sat down and actually watched a Falcons game, they would see that the problems on offense start with our paper thin line. We couldn't block for Vick, we **** sure couldn't block for Harrington and Leftwich, and we won't be able to block for Ryan if we take him. My issue with Ryan is that his INT ratio is way too high and he kinda stunk it up in his last few games. I was much more impressed with Chad Henne in his bowl game against an SEC defense and the darkhorse in my book is Flacco. I agree that picking QB with a top 5 pick is way too risky. The guy might hold out for $$ and we would have to put all of that $$ in one position. I'm for solidifying our O-Line early and often and setting the cornerstone of the franchise there, then going QB in the 2nd or 3rd. The difference between Ryan, Brohm, Woodson, Flacco, etc. is not that great to me

ShaunnBigDin08 (1/28/2008)
Bobbyj (1/28/2008)

Out of all the QBs in the draft...I feel Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, and Chad Henne are the only ones who look like the pros will be successful and an easy transition for them.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I'm going to say it anyway...

Don't sleep on Erik Ainge. He may be a project (which we don't necessarily need right now) but w/the right O-line, I think he could become a decent NFL QB.

I'm w/Donsolo. Nuttin against Ryan, just don't think he's our first need, or should be paid that kind of money when there are others available in later rounds, and we still have REdman while we're rebuilding

Bobbyj (1/28/2008)

These are the same guys who said Ryan Leaf was gonna be great.

There are two factors in play here. The first is that scouts frequently fall guilty in projecting what a player could be rather than acknowledging what a player is. The thought process is that if Matt Ryan played smarter and stopped throwing lazy passes into heavy coverage, he'd be great. The problem with that is most players don't develop into something they are not. They only exemplify what they already are.

The other factor at play here is that conventional wisdom and herd mentality are large factors in draft discussion. One web site, The War Room at Sporting News, always gets slammed for having much different draft board rankings than the rest. Personally, I always enjoy their grading, because it offers a rare opportunity to see scout evaluations that do not simply regurgitate what everyone else is saying about a prospect. Too many sites simply follow the leaders, Scouts Inc. and NFL Draft Scout, when they do their rankings. NFL front offices are no different in this regard. Many of the people who will make decisions on draft day, particularly members of the coaching staff, are only now seeing players for the first time. So, their opinions are oftentimes based on what they have heard about a prospect moreso than what they have seen of said player.

Pete Williams' The Draft does an excellent job in relaying these largely unknown aspects of the process. I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys draft season.

Aren't these the same experts who, despite our 4 win season, rank us lower than miami on the power polls. I think they are. So what does that tell ya? Don't let the media dictate to you what is the right answer. Hint: It's not Matt Ryan.

I'll get over it if we pick him that high (3rd-5th), but we really have much more dire needs than QB with that high of a pick when QBs are going to be a dime a dozen in this draft.

celtik

The experts are the same ones that figured that Michael Vick was the be-all end-all of our offense. Yes he was an extremely important part, but at him leaving wasn't the biggest void. It wouldn't matter who was playing QB behind that line, if they weren't as fast as Vick, they were getting killed. So many people refuse to recognize that our pass blocking (and now run blocking) is absolutely atrocious, but the experts just took one look at our running stats (augmented by Vick running for near or above 1,000 yards a year) and figured our o-line was automatically the best.

NO.

Our offensive line is terrible. I'd rather draft a lineman than a QB with the #3.

Bobbyj (1/28/2008)

Flacco having an easy transition... you must be kidding.. he is going to be going from D2 Bowl Sub Division to the NFL... he wasn't even the best D2 QB... but he gets all the press cause hes 6'6.... Matt Ryan and Flacco are BOTH products of ESPN hype... i laugh at people that say we should draft Flacco in the second round... or even trade up into the first to get him.. that was the funniest..... Long in the first then Henne in the second is the way to go... everyone that has said Long can't be a LT..... think about this stat... 1 sack in the last 2 years given up

Bobbyj (1/28/2008)
I know a lot of posters say absolutely not to a Matt Ryan pick with our 1st but then why are so many mock drafts saying we pick Ryan?

Because it is a quick fix. Because most of these draft guys look at the talent that he is supposed to have, but not his decision making. He might be very good in a few years. Or he might be Ryan Leaf. We don't know.

1) Many around here don't want to draft him, is that he doesn't seem to be enough of a sure thing to risk our first round pick on him.

2) The draft is also deep in QB, so if we play our cards right, we can get a very good prospect that we can mentor into a good QB. IE, Matt Schaub. Half the NFL is made up of QB's that weren't high draft picks.

3) We, unfortunately, have a **** of a lot of needs. We need talent at DT, RB, OG, OT, LB, C, K, and Safety. That is a lot of needs. QB is a crap shoot. Those positions, are much, much less of a crap shoot.

4) And one of my personal faves, NFL QB take time to develop. We have no o-line. We need to build our O-line up so that we don't get our future QB killed. If our QB is dead, he probably isn't going to develop into a great player.

Flacco having an easy transition... you must be kidding.. he is going to be going from D2 Bowl Sub Division to the NFL... he wasn't even the best D2 QB... but he gets all the press cause hes 6'6.... Matt Ryan and Flacco are BOTH products of ESPN hype... i laugh at people that say we should draft Flacco in the second round... or even trade up into the first to get him.. that was the funniest..... Long in the first then Henne in the second is the way to go... everyone that has said Long can't be a LT..... think about this stat... 1 sack in the last 2 years given up

While I echo your sentiments about Flacco, I am hoping that OL is heavily addressed in free agency so we dont have to take Long or at least have more options available to us rather than having to be locked into one player or position.

Bobbyj (1/28/2008)

...and Brian Brohm perhaps???

Bobbyj (1/28/2008)

What I have seen of his has hes been OK, but nothing special, What is getting all the analysts panties in a wad, is hes kind of like J. Cutler, who of anybody WR wise of Boston College was a great Wide Receiver that will be taken in the draft "nobody". That he did well playing with a bunch of crappie WRs and he still did well, so to say. ;) Like Cutler did.

But in my opinion, Cutler is a tons better then ryan. :P

I hear alot about the 19 INTS. I get the feeling they think he is inaccurate or has poor decision making skills. These are senior year only by the way.

Ryan's INT% = 2.9

Brohm's INT% = 2.5

Flacco's INT% = 0.9

Henne's INT% = 3.2

Booty's INT% = 2.9

Peyton Manning's INT% @ Tennessee = 2.3

-

I am not scared at all by the Ryan's #s. He has all the physical tools to be a great NFL QB. Whether or not he has the mentality is up in the air. None of us know that for sure. It would be gamble, but I trust that Dimitroff knows what intangibles a successful QB needs considering he has been around the greatest QB of all time the last 4-5 years.

Right now, I have Ryan as #3 best player in the draft. He was the BC offense. Besides Cherilus his offense @ BC was lacking talent.

If we can't get Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey, Ryan would be my pick.

BigSlick (1/28/2008)
I hear alot about the 19 INTS. I get the feeling they think he is inaccurate or has poor decision making skills. These are senior year only by the way.

Ryan's INT% = 2.9

Brohm's INT% = 2.5

Flacco's INT% = 0.9

Henne's INT% = 3.2

Booty's INT% = 2.9

Peyton Manning's INT% @ Tennessee = 2.3

-

I am not scared at all by the Ryan's #s. He has all the physical tools to be a great NFL QB. Whether or not he has the mentality is up in the air. None of us know that for sure. It would be gamble, but I trust that Dimitroff knows what intangibles a successful QB needs considering he has been around the greatest QB of all time the last 4-5 years.

Right now, I have Ryan as #3 best player in the draft. He was the BC offense. Besides Cherilus his offense @ BC was lacking talent.

If we can't get Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey, Ryan would be my pick.

Challenger also is an NFL prospect.

How about posting the fact that the guy never had a 2/1 TD/INT ratio? EVerything about his stats are pedestrian except his yardage because of the number of attempts he has.

If he was playing for an offense, where he wasn't asked to do so much by himself, his numbers would be better.

Besides college stats don't have alot to do with NFL success. Peyton's numbers were good, but not earth shattering. Brady barely played in college. If college #'s were so important Colt Brennan would be the #1 pick hands down.

Here is what we know. He has ideal height and his arm is strong. He is mobile inside and outside the pockett. He could stand to add a small amount of bulk to his frame. If, during interviews with the team, Dimitroff feels he is a pro-bowl type QB, then I am all for drafting him.

BigSlick (1/28/2008)
If he was playing for an offense, where he wasn't asked to do so much by himself, his numbers would be better.

Besides college stats don't have alot to do with NFL success. Peyton's numbers were good, but not earth shattering. Brady barely played in college. If college #'s were so important Colt Brennan would be the #1 pick hands down.

Here is what we know. He has ideal height and his arm is strong. He is mobile inside and outside the pockett. He could stand to add a small amount of bulk to his frame. If, during interviews with the team, Dimitroff feels he is a pro-bowl type QB, then I am all for drafting him.

Great numbers don't necessarily mean you will be great.

However, on the other hand, pedestrian numbers don't exactly translate into success.

I can trace college stats back to 1998 and I can't find another QB with numbers as pedestrian as Ryan's to go on to have success.

It's not just his numbers that show he's a bad decision maker either, it's the fact that he throws into double/triple coverage.