Why do some of you want another retread QB

Vicious

Redman played extremely well with a horrible o-line and "pick six". Why would some of you want the team to blow cap space on an old retread instead of putting the money to good use and picking up needs? Not to mention Shock is coming back as well.

We obviously need o-line, then d-line, then RB, MLB, FS, and more o-line. QB is not a huge need at the moment. If Redman could play that good with that little time to think because of the pressure, then imagine how good he could play behind a stout line and running game. It would be a thing of beauty!

If nothing else, he'll be a cheap band-aid while we groom someone not named Matt Ryan for a few years.

QB is our most glaring need behind the lines. To say so otherwise is to have your head in the sand.

Gotta draft a QB this year.

And people, Shockley is NFL caliber.

Fixed.

Did you watch Redman play? He did great with the same o-line that made Vick, Harrington, and Leftwich all look bad.

FalconMama (1/28/2008)
So we shouldnt sign a qb in FA nor should we draft a QB?

Is this what you're saying Vicious??

Please say no....

No. Of course not. I'm saying quit picking up these retread qbs and don't draft Ryan. Redman did well and should continue to do well while we draft a qb and groom him for a year or two. I still think Shock would do very well if given a chance.

Matthew Pritts (1/28/2008)
QB is our most glaring need behind the lines. To say so otherwise is to have your head in the sand.

And people, Shockley is not NFL caliber.

ignorance is bliss i guess. How do you know if he is NFL caliber?? never given a chance to prove if he was or no. if half the MB ran this team. we would have tom brady on this team( before people knew he was great) and they would cut him.

Vicious (1/28/2008)

Fixed.

Did you watch Redman play? He did great with the same o-line that made Vick, Harrington, and Leftwich all look bad.

Shcokley has accuracy issues, plus, he's just now coming off an ACL tear.

We'll agree to disagree. Shock will be lucky to be 3rd string at the NFL level. MOF, if he didn't play for the Dawgs, people wouldn't be so adamant about him and their wouldn't be blinded by Red N'Black glasses.

Vicious (1/28/2008)

Fixed.

Shcokley has accuracy issues, plus, he's just now coming off an ACL tear.

We'll agree to disagree. Shock will be lucky to be 3rd string at the NFL level. MOF, if he didn't play for the Dawgs, people wouldn't be so adamant about him and their wouldn't be blinded by Red N'Black glasses.

He doesnt have accuracy issues, but the small problem he does have goes with learning the system. the more you know the system the better your throws will be. he has the best Deep Ball on this team. it was an AJC article saying redman gots best accuracy, harrington gots exp., and DJ gots Deep Ball. ACL tear isnt that big any more. people come back for them all the time. its not the 1970s. thomas brown and Sean Bailey tore their knees, and they looked good this year.

Good God! Redman has two half-way decent outings against:

A. The Arizona Cardinals - who in 2007 had one of the worst defenses (defense ranked #27 at time of game) in the NFL. (And the Falcons still lost that game.)

B. The Seattle Seahawks - who had their post-season ranking fixed and were playing at half-speed.

and many of you want to give Redman the keys to the kingdom!

Actually, I agree that Redman should be a part of the 2008 Falcons roster. However, those of you who think Redman is potentially the next Tom Brady (as I have actually read some of our more mentally questionable posters allude to), I have but two words: Get Real.

As for the DJ Shockley advocates: guys, they prescribed the lithium pills to you for a reason - don't skip taking them again.

falcon_freddie (1/28/2008)
Good God! Redman has two half-way decent outings against:

A. The Arizona Cardinals - who in 2007 had one of the worst defenses (defense ranked #27 at time of game) in the NFL. (And the Falcons still lost that game.)

B. The Seattle Seahawks - who had their post-season ranking fixed and were playing at half-speed.

and many of you want to give Redman the keys to the kingdom!

Actually, I agree that Redman should be a part of the 2008 Falcons roster. However, those of you who think Redman is potentially the next Tom Brady (as I have actually read some of our more mentally questionable posters allude to), I have but two words: Get Real.

As for the DJ Shockley advocates: guys, they prescribed the lithium pills to you for a reason - don't skip taking them again.

whats your plan?? draft Matt Ryan??? its easy to judge, when you do not give a plan back.

Biggest problem is that there are no FA QB's that are really any good.

Anderson will come with a hefty price.

Is Culpepper healthy? He might be an option if the price is right.

Grossman? Please.

McCown, Drew Henson....the list is pretty ugly.

We dont have much choice. Despite all the praise and verbal BJ's Redman gets on this board I am not sold on him. He did great against crap teams. When he played a real team he was destroyed.

I think 2008 is going to be a year of learning and rebuilding so I have not set expectations that high. Lets draft a kid to groom this season with Redman at the helm.

As far as Shockley....another fan favorite. The kid might be the second coming of Steve Young but the team cannot plan on that. They have to set expectation with a dose of reality. The guy was picked in the 7th round and until and unless he proves differently, the team has to rank him as a backup.

If he does well, then great...we uncovered a gem. Until he proves that the team has to prepare otherwise.

It doesn't matter who the QB is until the line gets fixed anyways. We could have Tom Brady and would have won maybe two more games. The o-line was different every week. This game is won in the trenches. Redman is far better than some of you give him credit for. As far as Shock goes, his only year starting was better than any year Ryan started. Drew Weatherford had a better Td-Int ratio this year.

falcons4life (1/28/2008)
Biggest problem is that there are no FA QB's that are really any good.

Anderson will come with a hefty price.

Is Culpepper healthy? He might be an option if the price is right.

Grossman? Please.

McCown, Drew Henson....the list is pretty ugly.

We dont have much choice. Despite all the praise and verbal BJ's Redman gets on this board I am not sold on him. He did great against crap teams. When he played a real team he was destroyed.

I think 2008 is going to be a year of learning and rebuilding so I have not set expectations that high. Lets draft a kid to groom this season with Redman at the helm.

As far as Shockley....another fan favorite. The kid might be the second coming of Steve Young but the team cannot plan on that. They have to set expectation with a dose of reality. The guy was picked in the 7th round and until and unless he proves differently, the team has to rank him as a backup.

If he does well, then great...we uncovered a gem. Until he proves that the team has to prepare otherwise.

DJ's Skills go with the new offense.

I think Redman earned the starting job. It's not like he has ever done badly when he was on the Ravens, a major back injury just forced him out of football.

GEORGIAfan (1/28/2008)

DJ's Skills go with the new offense.

Actually, DJ's the most experienced Qb other than Leftwich in this type of offense. He ran the same style of offense at Georgia.

Well GEORGIAfan, its apparent that you are going to lobby for DJ no matter the arguement made against him.

So youre going to start a totally unproven 7th round short guy who hasnt started a football game in the NFL....ever.

His skills? Supposedly the team is going with a power running game to set up vertical passing game. How are his skills superior to anyone elses to run this type of offense?

Any QB who has any sense of talent and skill can adapt to an offense like this.

Im all for giving him a fair shake to compete in camp but annointing him team leader at this point in time is just pure homerism.

The Falcon Ace (1/28/2008)

I think Redman earned the starting job. It's not like he has ever done badly when he was on the Ravens, a major back injury just forced him out of football.

No WAY!!! No one should get the starting job because of last year. redman played in 2 games that didnt matter. New Coach New system. QB Competition. **** almost every one should Compete for their Job. that just makes players better, and we should have the best on the field, and you cant have the best if you give some one the job.

Vicious (1/28/2008)
Not to mention Shock is coming back as well.

Who cares if Shockley is coming back. What exactly has he done to warrant any grand expectations? I'll tell you what ... absolutely nothing. You Bulldawg homers crack me up. The guy is a seventh round pick and was a third string QB for us two seasons ago and you jugheads proclaim him to be the second coming of Tom Brady. :w00t::w00t: Homerism at its finest. If he had went to any other school he would be what he is to the rest of the football watching crowd which is nothing more than a wasted seventh round draft pick. The guy will probably not even make the team this year.

I think Chris Redman can be the starter next season. Give him all the reps in mini camps and training camp and he will be very productive.

Plus Mularkey already has experience turning insurance salesmen into starting QBs! Tommy Maddox sold insurance for a while after the Falcons cut him in 1997.

rydolph (1/28/2008)
Vicious (1/28/2008)
Not to mention Shock is coming back as well.

Who cares if Shockley is coming back. What exactly has he done to warrant any grand expectations? I'll tell you what ... absolutely nothing. You Bulldawg homers crack me up. The guy is a seventh round pick and was a third string QB for us two seasons ago and you jugheads proclaim him to be the second coming of Tom Brady. :w00t::w00t: Homerism at its finest. If he had went to any other school he would be what he is to the rest of the football watching crowd which is nothing more than a wasted seventh round draft pick. The guy will probably not even make the team this year.

if he went to a different school he wouldnt have been drafted in the 7th, NOR a falcon. 2nd of all 7th round doesnt mean crap. last time i checked marcus coltson is playing like a probowler in this league, and he was a 7th round pick. trey lewis was killing it, til he got hurt, and he is a 6th rounder. IT DOESNT MATTER WHERE YOU GET DRAFTED AS LONG AS YOU PROVE YOURSELF. how can he warrant anything, when he hasnt been given a chance??

GEORGIAfan (1/28/2008)

if he went to a different school he wouldnt have been drafted in the 7th, NOR a falcon. 2nd of all 7th round doesnt mean crap. last time i checked marcus coltson is playing like a probowler in this league, and he was a 7th round pick. trey lewis was killing it, til he got hurt, and he is a 6th rounder. IT DOESNT MATTER WHERE YOU GET DRAFTED AS LONG AS YOU PROVE YOURSELF. how can he warrant anything, when he hasnt been given a chance??

People are quick to jump on Ryan's jockstrap. But they want to call us homers because we support a QB who had better success in his one year than Ryan ever has. DJ ran a run oriented pro-style offense that uses a lot of play action to set up the pass and still had better passing stats than Ryan in a pass friendly system. Shock has way better decision making, arm, and mobility than most every QB in the draft. Well Brohm is as good everywhere except for the mobilty. It's stupid how someone will say Ryan has intangibles, but say Shock isn't an NFL QB even though he has the same "intangibles" and some.