Post Senior bowl mock by Draft headquarters

FalconMama

1 Miami Glenn Dorsey Defensive Tackle LSU

With the 1st pick in the draft, the Dolphins need to land a playmaker. Because they are set at running back with Ronnie Brown, I think it'd be a mistake to take Darren McFadden. There have been rumblings that they could strike a deal with Dallas, but at this point, they still hold the pick. The Dolphins defensive line really struggled this year and could use a player like Dorsey to plug in along their front seven. Depending on which defense Miami ends up deciding to run, Chris Long could also be a possibility here. With offensive line coach Tony Sparano being hired as the team's head coach, I wouldn't rule out Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long.

2 St. Louis Chris Long Defensive End Virginia

The Rams defensive line still struggled this year despite investing their 2007 1st Round pick in Nebraska's Adam Carriker. Adding a rare player like Long would go a long ways towards upgrading the team's overall defense, not just against the run, but against the pass as well. Long plays the run like a 3-4 defensive end and plays the pass like a 4-3 end. He's a versatile player who could fit in a variety of roles. Other options include Jake Long, as Orlando Pace seems to be nearing the end of his career.

3 Atlanta Darren McFadden

Running Back

Arkansas

The Michael Vick situation really took a toll on the entire Falcons organization. Bobby Petrino's abrupt departure also did not help, but it's better that they'll be able to start from scratch this offseason. While quarterback is a big need for Atlanta, I don't think that there's a quarterback at this time that is worth taking with the 3rd pick in the draft. The Falcons chose to hire Patriots director of college scouting Tom Dimitroff. It's well known that the Patriots were able to land their franchise quarterback with a 6th Round pick. Maybe that's the way the Falcons will go. Either way, the Falcons need to land a playmaker to help re-build their franchise and that's exactly what McFadden is.

4 Oakland Sedrick Ellis

Defensive Tackle

USC

There was no player at this year's Senior Bowl that was more dominant than defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis. The former USC defensive lineman really raised is stock and is now a lock to go among the Top 10 picks, if not the Top 5. While the Raiders could still use another playmaker or two on offense, their biggest weakness on defense has been their play against the run. Warren Sapp has retired, leaving a hole at one of the team's defensive tackle spots. This seems like a perfect fit for both sides.

5 Kansas City Jake Long Offensive Tackle Kansas City

The Chiefs offensive line has really gone down hill as of late. Their #1 need is clearly a franchise tackle to protect the blindside of their quarterback, whether it's Brodie Croyle or someone else. While they could look at the quarterback position, I think there's a better chance that they'll give Brodie Croyle another shot next year. Long would be a great value pick here and would be capable of coming in and helping shore up the Chiefs offensive line issues right away. If they were to go with a quarterback here, it'd be Matt Ryan from Boston College.

6 New York Jets Vernon Gholston Defensive End Ohio State

While the Jets ideally would like to land Darren McFadden, it seems highly unlikely that he'll be around by the 6th pick. Instead, Vernon Gholston seems like the most logical choice. A physical freak, Gholston is as productive on the field as he is in the weight room, having recorded 21 sacks over the course of the past two seasons. He is being projected as a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 outside linebacker for the next level. With the Jets running a 3-4 defense, this makes him a perfect fit for their 3-4 alignment.

7 New England (from San Francisco) Mike Jenkins

Cornerback South Florida

It's amazing that the Patriots can pull of a perfect 16-0 regular season and still land a Top 10 pick in this year's draft. While the team barely has any weaknesses, they could definitely stand to shore up their secondary. Star cornerback Asante Samuel appears likely to bolt via free agency, leaving a hole at the cornerback position. Jenkins' stock really took a rise with Ohio State's Malcolm Jenkins returning to school. However, he's not the top cornerback in some scout's eyes. Wherever he ends up being ranked, he should still end up being a high 1st Round pick come April.

8 Baltimore Matt Ryan

Quarterback Boston College

The Ravens offense has never done much under head coach Brian Billick, one of the main reasons that he was fired. Whether it's been a lack of a stud quarterback or just that Billick wasn't the right fit for the job, it's been clear that they need to add a franchise type of signal caller. While they drafted Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith in the 5th Round last year, it's hard to say that he can eventually be the answer for them. With new coach John Harbaugh coming in, I could really see him deciding to take his own quarterback to begin grooming for the future. The Ravens cornerback position was hit with injuries this year, so Aqib Talib or Antoine Cason could also be possibilities here.

9 Cincinnati Keith Rivers

Linebacker USC

Cincinnati's struggles this year really began with their defense as a whole. Flat out, they weren't able to stop anyone. While their defensive line is where they could use the most help, their aren't any defensive lineman worthy of being taken here. Their front seven as a whole really needs to add a playmaker. Keith Rivers is a stud at linebacker and should be capable of coming in right away and making an impact. This would be a great value pick for the Bengals as they would begin to rebuild their struggling defense.

10 New Orleans Aqib Talib

Cornerback Kansas

Over the course of the past two years, the Saints have had two of the worst corners in the league starting for them. Last year it was Fred Thomas, this year it was Jason David. With their best corner Mike McKenzie going down with a torn ACL in the 2nd to last game of this season, there is now no excuse for the Saints not to add a cornerback in this year's draft. There isn't another team in the league that needs a corner as bad as the Saints do right now. Talib is the top cornerback available and would be a huge upgrade for the Saints.

11 Buffalo Malcolm Kelly Wide Receiver Oklahoma

The Bills have done a nice job of finding young talent to build their offense around. Trent Edwards and Marshawn Lynch form a solid duo in the backfield with Lee Evans, one of the better wideouts in the game, split out at wide receiver. Adding another receiver to line up alongside Evans will be crucial toward this offense having long-term success. Kelly is one of the top junior receivers available and is expected to be a sure 1st Round pick in 2008.

12 Denver Dan Connor

Linebacker Penn State

The Broncos run defense was among the worst in the league this year. While defensive tackle may be a bigger need than linebacker, there aren't any tackles worth taking with Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis already off the board. Connor one of the best linebackers available this year and has the potential to be a very good player at the next level. With Matt Lepsis retiring, Ryan Clady and Chris Williams could be possibilites.

13 Carolina Kenny Phillips Safety Miami (FL)

Earlier this year, the Panthers traded for safety Chris Harris from the Bears. While Harris has looked good, they could still use a stud like Kenny Phillips to stick alongside him. Phillips is by far the best safety available this year, meaning his stock should remain high for the 2008 Draft. They could also look at offensive tackle with Ryan Clady or Chris Williams, or at quarterback with Andre Woodson.

14 Chicago Andre Woodson

Quarterback Kentucky

The Bears quarterback position has arguably been their greatest weakness over the course of the past two years and was one of the main reasons why they weren't able to win the Super Bowl last season. Rex Grossman clearly doesn't look like a player that is going to lead you to a league championship and I don't think I'd put money on Kyle Orton doing it either. Woodson's stock dropped a bit during the week of Senior Bowl practices, however I still think he's worthy of being a 1st Round pick. I think that it is a must that the Bears address the quarterback position at some point in this year's draft if they want to be successful in the next few years.

15 Detroit Ryan Clady Offensive Tackle Boise State

The Lions have one of the worst offensive lines in the league.with both Jeff Backus and George Foster among the top five linemen to have allowed sacks this season. An athletic lineman like Clady would do wonders for Detroit. Not only would it keep quarterback Jon Kitna on his feet, but it would also give them a better opportunity to run the ball. The Lions secondary could also use an upgrade, making Antoine Cason and Leodis McKelvin other options.

16 Arizona Antoine Cason

Cornerback Arizona

While the Cardinals could use some help along the defensive line, there aren't any players remaining that are worth drafting this high. Selecting Cason would really help to solidify Arizona's secondary and would allow the Cardinals to move Antrel Rolle to safety. The Cardinals pass defense hasn't been as good as they would like, meaning a player like Cason would be a nice fit. Cason, a former Arizona Wildcat, would also likely be a fan favorite.

17 Minnesota Reggie Smith

Defensive Back

Oklahoma

The Vikings could use help at both wide receiver and defensive end, but they could also use a playmaker for their secondary. While they would love to have Kenny Phillips fall to them, Smith is easily the second best safety available this year. The Oklahoma star is as versatile as you can get as a defensive back and is being projected as a cornerback as well safety. The Vikes could use some help at nickel back and they could use a star at safety, which makes Smith such a great pick. Calais Campbell, Derrick Harvey, DeSean Jackson, James Hardy, and Mario Manningham are other options.

18 Houston Rashard Mendenhall Running Back Illinois

The Texans have a nice looking offense, highlighted by Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub. While they have Ron Dayne and Ahman Green, those two aren't exactly top of the line running backs. If the Texans could land a back like Mendenhall, I think it would take their offense to the level. Other options could include Jonathan Stewart, Felix Jones, and Gosder Cherilus.

19 Philadelphia DeSean Jackson Wide Receiver California

The Eagles wide receiving core lacks a true playmaker and their return game has struggled at times this year. While Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown are solid receivers, they could still use a player like Jackson to add to their offense. Jackson had a bit of a down year this season, but is still expected to be a Top 25 pick in this year's draft.

20 Tampa Bay Chris Williams

Offensive Tackle Vanderbilt

The Buccaneers added Luke Petitgout this offseason to try and bolster the left side of their offensive line. When he was forced to miss the rest of the season with a knee injury, they were forced to insert undrafted free agent Donald Penn into the starting lineup. While I have no problem with Penn, I think it would be better for them to draft a franchise offensive tackle. Between Chris Williams and Gosder Cherilus, Williams would be a better pick as he is being projected as a left tackle at the next level, while Cherilus is being projected more as a right tackle. The Bucs are set at right tackle with Jeremy Trueblood, so it'd make more sense to take Williams.

21 Washington Calais Campbell Defensive End Miami (FL)

The Redskins defense improved this season, yet they could still use some help along the defensive line. Phillip Daniels, at age 34, could really stand to be replaced and they could use a strong presence at defensive end opposite Andre Carter. Campbell is an absolute monster and is expected to go in the 1st Round. At 6-8, 280 lbs, Campbell has a combination of size and athleticism that you rarely find in a player. The Redskins could also look for some seconday help in Leodis McKelvin.

22 Dallas (from Cleveland) Leodis McKelvin

Cornerback Troy

One of the clear weaknesses for the Cowboys has been their defensive backfield. Terrence Newman is among the top corners in the league, but he is getting up there in age and there isn't much behind him. Anthony Henry could stand to be upgraded and they don't have much at the nickel back position. At safety, Ken Hamlin is a free agent and Roy Williams clearly struggled at times this season. McKelvin's stock is on the rise and is looking like a lock for the 1st Round. He would be a great addition to the Cowboys secondary.

23 Pittsburgh Gosder Cherilus Offensive Tackle Boston College

The Steelers are expected to be a in a tough situation this offseason when both Alan Faneca and Max Starks could leave via free agency. If this ends up happening, it would make sense that they would use the draft to replace these key linemen. Cherilus had some struggles this year when he played at left tackle, a position he was not very familiar with. Despite this, he is still expected to be a 1st Round pick and has the potential to be a very nice player at the next level.

24 Tennessee James Hardy

Wide Receiver Indiana

The Titans greatest need is clearly at wide receiver where they have still yet to find a true deep threat for quarterback Vince Young. I think Limas Sweed would be a great fit here, but his stock has dropped as he has struggled with a nagging wrist injury this year. Hardy is a huge target at 6-6, 220 lbs. He is looking like a lock for the 1st Round at this point, as Early Doucet and Sweed have seen their stock drop recently. One other option could include Mario Manningham.

25 Seattle Jonathan Stewart Running Back Oregon

While the Seahawks have Shaun Alexander, he is clearly heading towards the end of his career with his production declining this season. Stewart played in high school in Washington and played collegiately at Oregon, so it makes sense that he'd stay in the Northwest for the NFL. Stewart has a rare blend of size, strength, and speed that you don't usually see in a running back. He would be a great value pick here for the Seahawks.

26 Jacksonville Jaguars Derrick Harvey

Defensive End

Florida

The Jaguars don't have many strong needs this year, but one place they could use some help is at defensive end, where they are lacking depth. Harvey was the MVP of the 2007 BCS National Championship game in which he recorded three sacks against Ohio State. Coming into the 2008 Draft, he is being projected among the top three players at his position. The Jaguars seem poised to make a serious run next year as long as they can stay healthy. Adding a playmaker on defense like Harvey would be a great pick not just for next year, but also long-term. Jacksonville could also use some help at wide receiver, making Mario Manningham another option.

27 San Diego Chargers Kentwan Balmer

Defensive Tackle North Carolina

After seeing Kentwan Balmer up close at the Senior Bowl, I can say that I am now officially sold that he is worthy of being taken in the 1st Round. Prior to my trip to Alabama, I questioned whether he was a 1st Round pick in this year's draft. That question has been answered. While Balmer only participated in one day of practice, he really impressed and there was a buzz regarding his name the entire week. The Chargers don't have many holes, but one place they could certainly use help is along the defensive line where they are lacking depth. Balmer seems like a perfect fit here.

28 Dallas Felix Jones

Running Back

Arkansas

It's widely known that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones would like to trade up to select Arkansas's Darren McFadden. At this point, it appears as if he'd have to give up both 1st Round picks and then more. If that isn't an option, I think it'd make sense to stay where they are and take McFadden's teammate Felix Jones. Jones doesn't get the same headlines that McFadden does, but he is right behind him in terms of being projected to the next level. He is very talented and is certainly worthy of being taken in the 1st Round of this year's draft. The Cowboys could also use some depth at wide receiver, making Mario Manningham another option.

29 San Francisco (from Indianapolis) Mario Manningham

Wide Receiver Michigan

Was Joe Staley worth giving up the #7 pick in this year's draft? We'll have to wait and see. The 49ers offense was among the worst in the league this year. At receiver, the 49ers featured Arnaz Battle, Darrell Jackson, and Ashley Lelie; not exactly an intimidating combination. They could clearly use an upgrade here, making Manningham a very good pick. He'd also be of great value, this late in the 1st Round. With Mike Martz coming to San Francisco, you know that he'll be looking for fast, quick wide receivers to plug into his system.

30 Green Bay Jeff Otah

Offensive Tackle

Pittsburgh

The Packers two greatest needs coming into this offseason are arguably along their offensive line and in their secondary. The offensive line had some injuries last year and they seem to frequently rotate their offensive guards in and out. Thinking more long-term, the team could also use eventual successors for tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher. Otah has tremendous size at 6-5, 340 lbs. He is being projected as a tackle, while also having a shot at moving inside to guard. He'd add some nice depth to Green Bay's offensive line and would give them a bright future on the offensive line. At defensive back, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie could also be an option.

31 New York Giants Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Cornerback Tennessee State

Is it a shock to see Cromartie here? Possibly. Is there any doubt after the Senior Bowl game that Cromartie has a ton of talent? No. The cousin of Chargers Pro Bowl cornerback Antonio Cromartie, Dominique is a very talented player with loads of potential for the next level. Coming out of high school, Rodgers-Cromartie didn't receive many scholarship offers as he had only started playing football as a senior. At Tennessee State he went on become a playmaking defensive back for the Tigers secondary. While this seem's like a bit of a reach, the Giants are in need of serious depth at cornerback. Rodgers-Cromartie is the best corner on the board and his stock is currently on fire.

32 New England

Pick Forfeited

I don't think taking McFadden is a mistake because he is as elite as they come. However you have to pass on him b/c the draft is deep at RB, and isn't deep at DT - so we would be smart to take Ellis or Dorsey, and pick a tailback in the 3rd round. Furthermore, there is no way that Woodson goes in the first round and Henne and Brohm drop to the second round. I used to be the biggest Woodson fan until I watched several Kentucky games - theis guy is a system QB. His accuracy was so inflated because of the amount of screens and slants he threw. His deep ball sails. And you have to have him behind a great offensive line because of his slow, windup release.

grendel (1/28/2008)
scott24falcs (1/28/2008)
I saw Ryan and Woodson as the only QBs taken. If that's the case, Henne, Flacco, and Brohm all may be available for us in the second. I love the thought of that. I'll take Brohm.

Am I the only one who finds it EXTREMELY unlikely that Woodson is taken in the 1st before Brohm, Flacco, and Henne?

I'm w/you, especially if he has a bad combine.

halsey (1/28/2008)
The Falcons would be making a mistake to take McFadden in that scenario. The Falcons need an offensive or defensive tackle more than they need a bar fighting Rb who's so similar to Norwood.

100% agree.

McFadden does little to improve the running game with our current offensive line. We have to get OL or DL in the first round, JMO.

So Woodson absolutely BOMBS in senior week (the 2nd biggest showcase besides combines) and he moves up in the round?

hmmm. I would be suprised to see Woodson go in 2 even. I was working on a full 2-3 round mock and it was hard for me to find a spot in the first 2 rounds to put Woodson. I even looked it over to see if I was just missing something.

If there is one QB I am watching to sneak into the 2nd QB slot, it is Henne. He is improving every time he picks up the football. He had a week similar to Cutler last season, which moved him into the (late) first round area. (which he then improved upon after insane workouts at the combine)

grendel (1/28/2008)
scott24falcs (1/28/2008)
I saw Ryan and Woodson as the only QBs taken. If that's the case, Henne, Flacco, and Brohm all may be available for us in the second. I love the thought of that. I'll take Brohm.

Am I the only one who finds it EXTREMELY unlikely that Woodson is taken in the 1st before Brohm, Flacco, and Henne?

No.

Draftnut57 (1/28/2008)
To me the most overrated player in the first rd is Sam Baker , I don't think he will be drafted in the first rd by the time the draft gets here. JMO

I'm the exact opposite. I think he's quietly flying under the radar. I do agree that he slips out of the second round though. Baker is a great LT prospect IMO.