free agents we can use

dsgbncali

we could sure of the holes in the defense if we went on the offensive and went after a few FA's.

Randall Gay UFA New England Patriots

Gay is just 25, and while he benefits from playing for a solid Patriots team, he is still a decent player in his own right. He s been able to step up even more this season and post solid numbers, while also showing more consistency. He has registered 37 total tackles to go along with three interceptions. The Patriots and Gay will look to keep him in New England, but a few teams could jump in and try to lure him away, including the New York Jets, who were interested in Gay last offseason.

or

Drayton Florence, UFA, San Diego Chargers

Florence held onto his starting spot over Antonio Cromartie when it was thought that Cromartie would win the job early. However, even though the veteran showed his resolve and stepped up his play, Cromartie will probably be the starter next season. Florence is not a shutdown type of player, but he does make plays when he needs to most of the time and he had three interceptions in 2006 with two this season. The Chargers can afford to let him hit the market, and the best bet is that Florence will find a starting position somewhere else come next season.

either one of these CBs opposite D-Hall would give us a dependable #2.

i know we need a safety as well but i think Milloy is good for one more season if we can grab one of thse 2 CB's.

at OL i think: Jordan Gross, UFA, Carolina Panthers

With Gross contract voiding at season s end, the Panthers will need to increase his salary in order to keep him around. The ownership seems to agree that he deserves a pay raise, and the team appears to want to keep him around as their starting right tackle. A former first-round selection who has played well, Gross will be looking for a considerably larger check come next season i think it would be an easy transistion because he is familiar with the players and we could get him cheap.

if not him then i think we should try to get Max Starks, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Starks is young and massive, and another Pittsburgh player that may leave the Steel City. He s 25 and is listed at 6 7 while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the potential he has shown on the field. he's just as big as a shaved grizzly bear. he could anchor the tackle position for years to come.

and the RB we should go after is Musa Smith UFA Baltimore Ravens. The guy would be a big help to Norwood because he could be used as a short yardage back or we could use him between the 20's. and also he's a very strong punishing runner.

in the draft we should get Sedrick Ellis with the first pick. Joe Flacco or Andre Woodson with the first of our two second rd picks and MLB with the second pick. in rds 3-7 we shoul just concentrate on depth.

agree disagree thoughts opinions welcome

We dont need new corners. They did just fine. We need some saftey depth andor challenge for starting spot. We also need to get healthy on the DL. Also we need to upgrade at MLB somehow.

On the offense side, we need to upgrade the OL. and we need a current and future QB. Also based on the style of offense we will run we need a bigger, every down, feature back.

On special teams, if old man river doesnt come back we need a kicker. Also an upgrade at PR or Jenkins needs to step it up a notch.

Guest Libid21

I don't know why we'd be looking for a 'dependable 2' opposite of Hall when we have Houston. The most we should be looking at is a solid cornerback to play the nickel back position. I don't trust Lewis Sanders or David Irons in that position. To me, Sanders is nothing more than a dime back and Irons too.

I'd want us to sign Michael Turner once his price goes down due to the amount of good running backs in this draft. He's a power runner who hits that hole hard, and we need someone like that to free up another draft pick for us so we won't have to spend a pick on a RB position in the early second day draft picks.

ok let me QB these questions you guys have asked

1)yea we do need safety help but we can nix that if either Houston steps up or we get someone who plays the position better. Milloy cant cover the field like he use to but he can get the job done. The MLB position we can fix in the draft. I personally would not be opposed to us drafting Animal's boy with our 1st pick (if the plan was to get rid of Brooking). The QB positin is a moot point. No one is going to be happy with whoever we pick at the QB spot. If its a rookie he'll be knocked for that. If its Redman I'm sure we 'll find something to about him that bothers us. so i didnt even try to hazard a guess at who we will sign/draft. we do need a PR and forget about Jenkins stepping it up. he needs to just concentrate on WR skills.

2) Musa didnt have a year that would impress anyone

here are his stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4535

but ive seen Musa run at UGA and a few times this season he's a strong runner. i think he could be a fit for our team.

3) why would we need turner if we have Norwood. I know everyone thinks turner is a good back but youhave to remember he plays behind LT. Turner as a fulltime starter is not a good idea. he will get crushed he is a power back he's just small and fast. take LT out of that picture and see how productive he is. and the same can be said for Jones-Drew as well. Small backs are only so successful nowadays. we need a brusier as a change of pace back not another fast back

dsgbncali (1/28/2008)

1)yea we do need safety help but we can nix that if either Houston steps up or we get someone who plays the position better. Milloy cant cover the field like he use to but he can get the job done. The MLB position we can fix in the draft. I personally would not be opposed to us drafting Animal's boy with our 1st pick (if the plan was to get rid of Brooking). The QB positin is a moot point. No one is going to be happy with whoever we pick at the QB spot. If its a rookie he'll be knocked for that. If its Redman I'm sure we 'll find something to about him that bothers us. so i didnt even try to hazard a guess at who we will sign/draft. we do need a PR and forget about Jenkins stepping it up. he needs to just concentrate on WR skills.

but ive seen Musa run at UGA and a few times this season he's a strong runner. i think he could be a fit for our team.

3) why would we need turner if we have Norwood. I know everyone thinks turner is a good back but youhave to remember he plays behind LT. Turner as a fulltime starter is not a good idea. he will get crushed he is a power back he's just small and fast. take LT out of that picture and see how productive he is. and the same can be said for Jones-Drew as well. Small backs are only so successful nowadays. we need a brusier as a change of pace back not another fast back

Great analysis...

Alan Faneca, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Faneca seems to be the most likely of this group to leave his current team. Rumors suggest that he plans on leaving after the season and contract extension talks have gone nowhere. Faneca is a quality guard who has started in five Pro Bowls and been selected as a first team All-Pro five times as well. He also still has some prime seasons of his career remaining. Faneca will receive the most interest at his position, could be the most coveted offensive linemen after the season, and should also be one of the most coveted players available in all of the NFL.

Gimmesomo (1/28/2008)
dsgbncali (1/28/2008)

Great analysis...

yea the analysis part came from an espn site. i just took the info off the ones i thought could improve us for cheap at the right positions. i think we could make the neccessary FA moves happen and still have cap room left over to sign our eventual draft picks. And thats one good thing i can say about McKay. we always have a cap room.

Case25 (1/28/2008)

Faneca seems to be the most likely of this group to leave his current team. Rumors suggest that he plans on leaving after the season and contract extension talks have gone nowhere. Faneca is a quality guard who has started in five Pro Bowls and been selected as a first team All-Pro five times as well. He also still has some prime seasons of his career remaining. Faneca will receive the most interest at his position, could be the most coveted offensive linemen after the season, and should also be one of the most coveted players available in all of the NFL.

i agree Faneca is the best of the FA o-linemen available but we cant afford what he's going to ask. besides i think we can get a young quality o-lineman and let him hit his peak years with us.

dsgbncali (1/28/2008)
Case25 (1/28/2008)

i agree Faneca is the best of the FA o-linemen available but we cant afford what he's going to ask. besides i think we can get a young quality o-lineman and let him hit his peak years with us.

yea faneca will be expensive but if we do get him maybe he can help mentor some of our rookie lineman that we draft.