2008 Atlanta Falcons Draft Choice .... QB? Yes/No, & why?

With so many opportunities for this Falcons team to grow and become successful, why would or would we not want to draft a solid quarterback for our first round pick??

What other positions do you feel need to be filled with star young players?

And how many more years do you feel that Keith Brooking will continue playing at a high level?

Thanks.

-Rick

Rick Castillo (1/28/2008)
With so many opportunities for this Falcons team to grow and become successful, why would or would we not want to draft a solid quarterback for our first round pick??

And how many more years do you feel that Keith Brooking will continue playing at a high level?

Thanks.

-Rick

I don't think there are any QB's that are ready to start from Day 1 coming out of this draft. Due to that, it is my opinion that any QB we draft should sit for a year. Since we won't be drafting a Day 1 starter, why not pick up a QB in a later round and use our 1st on a Day 1 starter?

Ryan will go before we pick, and there isnt another QB worth the pick (i dont think Ryan is either though)

I like Henne, but we might have to move into late round one to get him. Either he or Brohm should fall to us in the 2nd though, depending where KC picks compared to us in round 2.

Rick Castillo (1/28/2008)

Thanks.

-Rick

We have a chance to really improve the offensive line or defensive line with out first pick. We are most likely going to be able to get Jake Long, Glen Dorsey, or Sedrick Ellis with our 1st pick.

I am not even sure Matt Ryan is going to be a better pro then say Flacco, Henne, or Booty. I am pretty sure that Long, Dorsey, and Ellis will be excellent pros and better then someone we could get in the later rounds.

Possible combinations:

1. Glen Dorsey DT LSU

2. Ghosder Cherilus OT Boston College

2b. Joe Flacco QB Delaware

or

1. Matt Ryan QB Boston College

2. Ghosder Cherilus OT Boston College

2b. Pat Sims DT Auburn

These are obviously hypothetical, but to me Dorsey is considerably better the Pat Sims and I think Ryan's upside isn't any better then Flacco's.

No one is denying that we need to draft a QB, they just realize that there is much greater value for QB if we take one in the 2nd round as opposed with a top 5 pick.

The only QB with top 5 draft stock is Matt Ryan and that's because he is severely overrated.

At #5 we could get a franchise linemen in Long/Ellis/Dorsey or a franchise back in McFadden.

There is no excuse for taking a QB that high.

Everyone here agrees we need a QB but none of the QB's in this draft are ready to start.

They will have to sit for at least 1 year, you draft a QB top 5 his butt starts day one.

We need to go OL/DL with our first pick.

1. Dorsey / Ellis_ ( Both will be studs, but I am sorta leaning towards Ellis now).

2. Henne / Otah

2. Wheeler / Lofton

3. Nicks / Flacco

3. Forte / Johnson

Any combination of these players would be an outstanding draft.