Mularky's Offense

cheaton

cheaton (1/28/2008)
What type of offence does this guy run? I'm the first to admit I've never paid a bit of attention to him.

Kinda Reeves-esque. Power running game, lots of gadget plays and misdirection. It's pretty solid, fundamental football with some fun stuff thrown in.

We'll be a run 1st team, that's for sure. And we'll see a lot of play action. When we're bad, it will be brutal to watch (if you can't run the football, nothing else really works), but when we're good, it will be a REALLY fun offense to watch.

JDaveG (1/28/2008)
cheaton (1/28/2008)
What type of offence does this guy run? I'm the first to admit I've never paid a bit of attention to him.

Kinda Reeves-esque. Power running game, lots of gadget plays and misdirection. It's pretty solid, fundamental football with some fun stuff thrown in.

We'll be a run 1st team, that's for sure. And we'll see a lot of play action. When we're bad, it will be brutal to watch (if you can't run the football, nothing else really works), but when we're good, it will be a REALLY fun offense to watch.

sounds like THE PERFECT SYSTEM FOR DJ SHOCKLEY!!!! he is great in the play action. just watch him in play action and you will see. also i think that he could lead this team even if our running game isnt working. like chris did one time. remember that we have 2 opposite running backs. Norwood and Snelling are nothing alike, so i believe that if one way is not working, than another way will.

GEORGIAfan (1/28/2008)

Remember that we have 2 opposite running backs. Norwood and Snelling are nothing alike, so i believe that if one way is not working, than another way will.

You could be right. No one else seems to think Snelling can be the guy. I like theSnelling and Norwood combination. Shockley may also win the job. Can't say I would be disappointed.

Lee Long (1/28/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/28/2008)

Remember that we have 2 opposite running backs. Norwood and Snelling are nothing alike, so i believe that if one way is not working, than another way will.

You could be right. No one else seems to think Snelling can be the guy. I like theSnelling and Norwood combination. Shockley may also win the job. Can't say I would be disappointed.

i said it before give Snelling and Norwood 10-15 carries a game.( Norwood should get more), and give Ovie like 5. Have Norwood as the situational back, and have him on the outsides, and he will explode. Norwood is sick when he is in open space making people miss. Ovie would be good for some passing plays.

GEORGIAfan (1/28/2008)
sounds like THE PERFECT SYSTEM FOR DJ SHOCKLEY!!!! he is great in the play action. just watch him in play action and you will see. also i think that he could lead this team even if our running game isnt working. like chris did one time. remember that we have 2 opposite running backs. Norwood and Snelling are nothing alike, so i believe that if one way is not working, than another way will.

I was actually telling my dad this weekend that DJ may have benefitted more than anyone from our OC selection. Not only is he good for a system like this (mobility, huge arm, good PA), but Mularkey has a lot of experience making use of Kordell Stewart, so he will know how to give DJ the best chance to succeed.

I still think it's a long shot that he makes the team, but I'm pulling for him, so I hope it works out.

JDaveG (1/29/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/28/2008)

I was actually telling my dad this weekend that DJ may have benefitted more than anyone from our OC selection. Not only is he good for a system like this (mobility, huge arm, good PA), but Mularkey has a lot of experience making use of Kordell Stewart, so he will know how to give DJ the best chance to succeed.

I still think it's a long shot that he makes the team, but I'm pulling for him, so I hope it works out.

man i think DJ has already made the team, BUT i think his chance moved to 50% starting, because he is well known for his play action pass, and with a real run game backing him up, he will have a lot of pressure off him. Kordell and DJ are about the same size, and i think that DJ and Mularkey will be perfect for each other, and i hope that we have the same season they had.

GEORGIAfan (1/28/2008)
JDaveG (1/28/2008)
cheaton (1/28/2008)

Come on now, if they had said his offense was 95% pass 5% run, you would have said "sounds like THE PERFECT SYSTEM FOR DJ SHOCKLEY!!!!" too.

Not sure if any of you young bucks remember this, but I was thinking the hire would mirror a LOT of the Reeves era. In 1998, we drafted Tim Dwight and used him on a bunch of trick plays. The Dwight throwback to Chandler was one of my favorites. We ran a LOT of trick plays in 1998...successfully.

Duff_Man (2/1/2008)
Not sure if any of you young bucks remember this, but I was thinking the hire would mirror a LOT of the Reeves era. In 1998, we drafted Tim Dwight and used him on a bunch of trick plays. The Dwight throwback to Chandler was one of my favorites. We ran a LOT of trick plays in 1998...successfully.

Speaking of 98, we did have a power back that used to open the offense up for those trick plays. One of my favorite plays that year was when Anderson broke into the defensive backfield and the only defender back there was chicken neck Merton Hanks. Man that was an ugly hit and run:w00t:

"We'll be a run 1st team, that's for sure. And we'll see a lot of play action. When we're bad, it will be brutal to watch (if you can't run the football, nothing else really works), but when we're good, it will be a REALLY fun offense to watch."

Well ideally, ya' don't want the opposing "D" to know what ur gonna do. I don't like the run first philosophy. Things become to predictable.....the next thing ya' know if the run doesn't work then ya' got your Qb in 3rd and long scenario. When the run doesn't work ya' create to many obvious passing situations.

Robb4242 (2/1/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/28/2008)
JDaveG (1/28/2008)
cheaton (1/28/2008)

Come on now, if they had said his offense was 95% pass 5% run, you would have said "sounds like THE PERFECT SYSTEM FOR DJ SHOCKLEY!!!!" too.

DJ does have the best deep ball. if they said we would go into a run and shoot or spead, then i would not say it. DJ can do well in some 3-4 wide sets, but all 4 wide sets would not help, and 95% pass would not be good. he needs a balance offense, but adding deep ball, and play action are his specialties.

That would be correct GAFan. If you paid any attention to Mularkey's Pit offense, and if you watched Richt's offense, then you would see a striking similarity. Both had big bodies up front protecting the QB and plowing open running lanes. You would see many drives where it was nothing more than an all run drive. Then you would see the play action open up whenever the safeties started to sneak up to defend the run, and Voilà! A ball control offense with big play capability. Throw in some play fakes and a few trick plays and you have a pretty good blueprint for offense.

I'll admit I was down on Mularkey because he's been on a steady decline, but then I put where he's been and his talent into play and decided that it wasn't all his fault that he hasn't done to great as of late. Hopefully he gets back into gear and turns this inconsistent franchise into a consistent power house.