Will We Keep Norwood?

formul8or

With all the talk of a power running game and such, do you think the coaching staff will even want Norwood? He could probably fetch a good trade with a team he can flourish on. He's my favorite player on the team to watch and I'd be PO'ed if he was traded, but realistically I think that is a good possibility.

he is dirt cheap. A power running game doesnt always mean a 240 lb back.

PIT runs a power running game with Willie Parker. A power running game comes more from the blocking scheme than the RB for the most part.

Regardless Norwood will be here throughout his contract IMO. I dont know that we will re-sign him, but he will be here this year yet.

Norwood is too explosive of a player to just to get rid of. In my opinion he still hasn't gotten the opportunity to show what he's capable of. If we can fix our o-line he will be a force to reckon with, but I still don't mind drafting a bruiser in the early rounds though.

teams let "impact" players walk all the time. Just look at Patrick Kerney.

FA is loaded with good players every season, because teams let guys walk. It has become the norm to let them go, save the money and gain comp pikcs for them. Top teams build that way (NE and PHI come to mind)

1989fan (1/28/2008)
he is dirt cheap. A power running game doesnt always been a 240 lb back.

PIT runs a power running game with Willie Parker. A power running game comes more from the blocking scheme than the RB for the most part.

Regardless Norwood will be here throughout his contract IMO. I dont knowe that we will re-sign him, but he will be here this year yet.

Well said. I think that this is a bad year to sell a RB for a trade. This draft is loaded with RB's into the 5th round. We would not get much for Norwood at this point. The above post is right about a power run game. It all rests on the OL in front of the RB. Emmitt Smith was a little guy that ran behind a huge and tough OL. Walter Payton was powerful, but not a big guy. The same for Dorsett and number of other RB's that were successful "power" runners.

We should not only keep Norwood, but make him the featured RB. The only thing holding him back is his reluctance to learn to block in the passing game.

Mike Mularkey(Falcons OC) will absolutely love Jerious Norwood. Norwood will not be the "feature" runner but I think you will see Mularkey utilize Norwood much like he did Antwan Randle-El while he was at Pittsburgh.

Mularkey will utilize Norwood on reverses, screens, misdirection, etc. Norwood will be the "gadget man".

One of the few smart things done during the Year of the Quitter was putting Norwood returning KO's. (The other one was letting DHall return punts - but that's for another thread).

Some say Norwood is not durable enough to be a feature back. Let's assume he is not. Let him be our kick returner and the change of pace guy. Open up some holes, and this guy is an explosive runner. Get the Falcons a better O line and a better ST coach, and you'll see Norwood chalking up positive yards.

Every team will need a change of pace back. Norwood will do very well in that role, not to mention he can be split out as a reciever and could become one of the better return men in the league.

There is to much he brings to the table for any stable minded coach to not utilize.

Khufu (1/28/2008)
We need to bring in another back similar to T.J. Duckett to compliment Norwood. Norwood is a better, younger version of Dunn so it may be time to let Dunn go. If we have Norwood and then a strong, down-hill runner to add to 1-2 combo. It will almost be like 2004 all over again, except with a Super Bowl win.

Norwood is nothing like Dunn, except they are both RBs.

Norwood is like Leon Washington IMO.

1989fan (1/28/2008)

Norwood is nothing like Dunn, except they are both RBs.

Ok, I may have overstated that but Leon Washington though? I can see why you would say that, and then again I don't. But I just compared Dunn and Norwood because of the cuts they can make and the breakaway speed. I just don't believe that Dunn is our answer right now. We need a power back. What's your opinion on Snelling? Is he good enough to carry the load?

Khufu (1/28/2008)
We need to bring in another back similar to T.J. Duckett to compliment Norwood. Norwood is a better, younger version of Dunn so it may be time to let Dunn go. If we have Norwood and then a strong, down-hill runner to add to 1-2 combo. It will almost be like 2004 all over again, except with a Super Bowl win.

We have Jason Snelling. He only failed once to gain a short yardage 1st down, and that was when 'Mr. Offensive Genius' sent him in on 4th and 2 with everyone in the Western Hemisphere knowing he was going to get the ball. Snelling IS what Duckett should have been. He hits the hole and runs downhill. IMO, keep Norwood and sign UFA Michael Turner. Backfield set.

Our TJ Duckett is Jason Snelling. He has done nothing but good things.

Smith said that he doesn't want to force a scheme onto players that cannot do certain things, he wants to use what personnel he has to their strengths. Unlike Petrino where it was you do it and win or you cannot handle it and we lose our butts off until we find a replacement for you next year.

i certainly hope so. i would love to see him as a 3rd down back and KR/PR. There's no sense trading him, because we used a 2nd rd pick on him and we wont get that in return.

Interesting point about Snelling, i thought he could handle the bruiser back role, but Petrino never game him much of a shot. if we knew he could handle that role, it would certainly erase the need for us to use a good pick on a RB.

bozoatl (1/28/2008)
Khufu (1/28/2008)

We have Jason Snelling. He only failed once to gain a short yardage 1st down, and that was when 'Mr. Offensive Genius' sent him in on 4th and 2 with everyone in the Western Hemisphere knowing he was going to get the ball. Snelling IS what Duckett should have been. He hits the hole and runs downhill. IMO, keep Norwood and sign UFA Michael Turner. Backfield set.

Wisdom from a clown, right there. :cool: I wonder what are chances would be of actually getting Turner in Atlanta. What do you think, slim to none?

Khufu (1/28/2008)
1989fan (1/28/2008)

Norwood is nothing like Dunn, except they are both RBs

Ok, I may have overstated that but Leon Washington though? I can see why you would say that, and then again I don't. But I just compared Dunn and Norwood because of the cuts they can make and the breakaway speed. I just don't believe that Dunn is our answer right now. We need a power back. What's your opinion on Snelling? Is he good enough to carry the load?

yeah, Leon Washington is very effective when running for NYJ, but he cant carry the load. Very quick, and can go house after his cut. He is also a very good KR (top 5 in the NFL) and I think Norwood can be just as good.

Leon Washington is a very good 3rd down back/utility player.

j_redd21 (1/28/2008)
Norwood is too explosive of a player to just to get rid of. In my opinion he still hasn't gotten the opportunity to show what he's capable of. If we can fix our o-line he will be a force to reckon with, but I still don't mind drafting a bruiser in the early rounds though.

my thoughts exactly,everyones trying to replace him when all he`s done is average 6 ypc.

give him a chance with some blocking and he could be special.

formul8or (1/28/2008)
With all the talk of a power running game and such, do you think the coaching staff will even want Norwood? He could probably fetch a good trade with a team he can flourish on. He's my favorite player on the team to watch and I'd be PO'ed if he was traded, but realistically I think that is a good possibility.

Look where Smith came from, the jagz with Fred taylor, the Bruiser, and Maurice jones Drew, the cutter. We have a cutter with Norwood, we need a bruiser. I would love us to snag Hester, or if Mendenhal doesn't get taken in the 1st round. ;)