VanGorder never contacted South Carolina recruit.

SacFalcFan

VanGorder never contacted South Carolina recruit

By Jeff Hood

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/27/08

Banneker safety Darrell Simmons, who committed to South Carolina last fall, said Sunday afternoon he s never spoken with Brian VanGorder.

VanGorder was introduced as the Gamecocks new defensive coordinator on Dec. 19. Nearly a month later, VanGorder bolted South Carolina to rejoin the Atlanta Falcons coaching staff.

If VanGorder communicated with any of the incoming defensive recruits during his tenure in Columbia, Simmons wasn t among the group.

I really never met him, said Simmons, who committed to the Gamecocks when Tyrone Nix was in charge of the South Carolina defense. I didn t know anything about him.

But I m still committed to South Carolina. Nothing s changed.

Simmons seemed puzzled that VanGorder never picked up the phone and dialed his number.

I was surprised because I thought I d get a call, he said. But I never got a call.

Simmons is confident the Gamecocks are close to being a contender in the SEC, despite the recent turnover at the defensive coordinator position.

I think we re a couple of players away from doing some good things at South Carolina, Simmons said.

SacFalcFan (1/28/2008)
You know it's a slow news day when this is the biggest news in the ajc on recruiting.. LOL and SC is a few players away from what? making a lower tier bowl?

A couple of players away from beating you guys by 14 instead of 4-5?:D Of course that seems to be our mantra all too frequently. "We're ony a couple of players away". Gonna be pretty rough for you Sac if the Dawgs come into Williams-Brice and lose next season.

xnex (1/29/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/28/2008)
You know it's a slow news day when this is the biggest news in the ajc on recruiting.. LOL and SC is a few players away from what? making a lower tier bowl?

A couple of players away from beating you guys by 14 instead of 4-5?:D Of course that seems to be our mantra all too frequently. "We're ony a couple of players away". Gonna be pretty rough for you Sac if the Dawgs come into Williams-Brice and lose next season.

Xnex...What is the general feeling from SC fans about what yall's record will be next year?

From the outside, I'm guessing the feeling around there is 8-4 or 9-3, not that I agree with it.

xnex (1/29/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/28/2008)

You can't beat a team every year. I would say 5 wins in a row and then a loss isn't that bad considering last year we had 26 freshman play in their first SEC game. Those same freshman are now sophomore's and know what it takes to win in the SEC. You guys can hang your hat on one game last year, but if that's how bad it is at SC you can't be happy with what spurrier is doing. The last time the Dawgs were at bryce we shut you guys out 18-0 with a true freshman qb and a guy name joe t as the starter until he got hurt in the first quarter. I like our chances.

jdu00743 (1/29/2008)
xnex (1/29/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/28/2008)

Xnex...What is the general feeling from SC fans about what yall's record will be next year?

From the outside, I'm guessing the feeling around there is 8-4 or 9-3, not that I agree with it.

Not really sure on this JDU. Last year's early success, only to fall completely on their faces has probably caused the enthusiasim level to become more "guarded". My understanding is that we have 10 returning starters on D along with the year of experience that some of our freshmen got last season.

O line also seems to be a huge question mark. Spurrier has supposedly realized that his offense is a bit dated and he needs to have a much more mobile qb in order to compete. Smelley isn't supposedly much of a runner, but Garcia is being mentioned as an all around threat that drove the D crazy in practice last year with his mobility. Maybe he can find a way to cover up some of the pass protection shortcomings by taking off with the ball a few times each game. We should be pretty good at the "skill positions", but replacing Boyd is going to be a big challenge.

I believe that most "reasonable fans" would predict somewhere between 7-5 and 9-3 because no fan should predict a losing season. But this team was absolutely schitzo (sp) last year so no one should have great confidence. The SEC opener vs. UGA should go a long way toward telling us what we have.

What are you guys expecting from the Vols? Most fans here seem to have UGA and UF clearly atop the east. Do you guys think you are going to compete for the title?

SacFalcFan (1/29/2008)
xnex (1/29/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/28/2008)

You can't beat a team every year. I would say 5 wins in a row and then a loss isn't that bad considering last year we had 26 freshman play in their first SEC game. Those same freshman are now sophomore's and know what it takes to win in the SEC. You guys can hang your hat on one game last year, but if that's how bad it is at SC you can't be happy with what spurrier is doing. The last time the Dawgs were at bryce we shut you guys out 18-0 with a true freshman qb and a guy name joe t as the starter until he got hurt in the first quarter. I like our chances.

You gonna try to come up for the game?

I told you last season that I thought GA was playing as well or better than anyone at the end of the season. And you've had a huge recruiting season. There is going to be some serious hype around that game. I will say that I don't think you guys will come in there and route us which considering your talent level is actually saying something. I say we're gonna be hanging our hats on a two game "winning streak" versus the Dawgs after the game.:cool:

I am still scared that we will have a lead late in the game and somehow David Pollack will come running out of the stands and crush our qb, pick up the ball and score the winning TD.

xnex (1/29/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/29/2008)
xnex (1/29/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/28/2008)

You gonna try to come up for the game?

I told you last season that I thought GA was playing as well or better than anyone at the end of the season. And you've had a huge recruiting season. There is going to be some serious hype around that game. I will say that I don't think you guys will come in there and route us which considering your talent level is actually saying something. I say we're gonna be hanging our hats on a two game "winning streak" versus the Dawgs after the game.:cool:

I am still scared that we will have a lead late in the game and somehow David Pollack will come running out of the stands and crush our qb, pick up the ball and score the winning TD.

Depends on if my buddy is going. His brother was suspended for the 2 first games, but if he is back and in good graces I will be there. Dude you are seriously grasping at straws. So football wise give me a serious reason other than you feel you guys will win a game. Show me where you guys have an advantage over Georgia. Anywhere on the football field? You guys will be back where you almost always are with spurrier whining on his radio show after UGA wins that game in columbia. I think UGA goes in and wins by a few touchdowns.

I think UGA goes in and wins by a few touchdowns.[/quote]

You need to get to the Doctor Sac. The fever has made you delusional. No way they win by a few TD's.

1) We're playing at home

2) Our DB's are better than UGA's as a group.

we've got 10 returning starters on D so they should be much improved.

Show me where we had any significant advantage last year at Sanford? Even playing freshmen O linemen you weren't at that much of a disadvantage. It's not like we were loaded with seniors at the time.

Admitted that on paper this doesn't look like it should be a barnburner. But they don't play the games on paper and SC should still be feeling pretty positive about the season when the game kicks off. And that makes a huge difference.

xnex (1/29/2008)
jdu00743 (1/29/2008)
xnex (1/29/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/28/2008)

Not really sure on this JDU. Last year's early success, only to fall completely on their faces has probably caused the enthusiasim level to become more "guarded". My understanding is that we have 10 returning starters on D along with the year of experience that some of our freshmen got last season.

O line also seems to be a huge question mark. Spurrier has supposedly realized that his offense is a bit dated and he needs to have a much more mobile qb in order to compete. Smelley isn't supposedly much of a runner, but Garcia is being mentioned as an all around threat that drove the D crazy in practice last year with his mobility. Maybe he can find a way to cover up some of the pass protection shortcomings by taking off with the ball a few times each game. We should be pretty good at the "skill positions", but replacing Boyd is going to be a big challenge.

I believe that most "reasonable fans" would predict somewhere between 7-5 and 9-3 because no fan should predict a losing season. But this team was absolutely schitzo (sp) last year so no one should have great confidence. The SEC opener vs. UGA should go a long way toward telling us what we have.

What are you guys expecting from the Vols? Most fans here seem to have UGA and UF clearly atop the east. Do you guys think you are going to compete for the title?

Well, without seeing what our new offense is going to look like, I think 9-3 is a pretty reasonable prediction at this point for us...If Clawson (our OC) is as good as I think he will be, that prediction will probably move to 10-2.

I will be able to get a much clearer opinion after spring practice.

xnex (1/29/2008)

You need to get to the Doctor Sac. The fever has made you delusional. No way they win by a few TD's.

1) We're playing at home

Show me where we had any significant advantage last year at Sanford? Even playing freshmen O linemen you weren't at that much of a disadvantage. It's not like we were loaded with seniors at the time.

Admitted that on paper this doesn't look like it should be a barnburner. But they don't play the games on paper and SC should still be feeling pretty positive about the season when the game kicks off. And that makes a huge difference.

You need to go the reality doctor. He needs to give you a shot.

1. Who cares if you are playing at home. Last time you played at home UGA won 18-0. There goes #1.

2. Your kidding me right? Your dbs are better than UGAs. Right.. The sad thing is UGA's defense and offense is better than south carolina. So if you think your dbs win you the game then you are forgetting the other 3 units offense, defense, and special teams. I don't care if they are so deliriously excited about the season it won't matter. UGA is the better team and they will do worse to south carolina than they did 2 years ago in columbia. Unfortunately for sc no matter where they play the game whether on paper or in a lake, sc loses and it will be a few touchdown win for Georgia.

SacFalcFan (1/29/2008)
xnex (1/29/2008)

1) We're playing at home

1. Who cares if you are playing at home. Last time you played at home UGA won 18-0. There goes #1.

2. Your kidding me right? Your dbs are better than UGAs. Right.. The sad thing is UGA's defense and offense is better than south carolina. So if you think your dbs win you the game then you are forgetting the other 3 units offense, defense, and special teams. I don't care if they are so deliriously excited about the season it won't matter. UGA is the better team and they will do worse to south carolina than they did 2 years ago in columbia. Unfortunately for sc no matter where they play the game whether on paper or in a lake, sc loses and it will be a few touchdown win for Georgia.

1 question

Do you smoke the stuff or is it injectable?

xnex (1/29/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/29/2008)
xnex (1/29/2008)

1) We're playing at home

1 question

Yeah it's called reality. You sc fans need to get some of that.. :hehe::hehe:

1 question

You're talking to a fan who watched his team fall from #6 all the way out of the rankings, lost to Vandy......at home, were treated like speed bumps by Ark, and watched Florida run up and down the field on us like a track meet. I've had several doses of reality. But to predict a win by a few TD's sounds you've come unhinged. Nevermind, the Gamecocks are gonna give you guys the reality check you need.;)

xnex (1/29/2008)
1 question

You're talking to a fan who watched his team fall from #6 all the way out of the rankings, lost to Vandy......at home, were treated like speed bumps by Ark, and watched Florida run up and down the field on us like a track meet. I've had several doses of reality. But to predict a win by a few TD's sounds you've come unhinged. Nevermind, the Gamecocks are gonna give you guys the reality check you need.;)

Yes it took you a while to figure out how your team was and now you have forgotten haven't you.. As I have said 5-1 in the last 6, you have to be completely unhinged to pick sc in that game next year.. and no worries sc will fall into place. LOL

SacFalcFan (1/30/2008)
xnex (1/29/2008)
1 question

Yes it took you a while to figure out how your team was and now you have forgotten haven't you.. As I have said 5-1 in the last 6, you have to be completely unhinged to pick sc in that game next year.. and no worries sc will fall into place. LOL

I admit that I thought the Gamecocks were going to turn a corner last season and they completely fell apart. In my mind the Ten. loss is what crushed us but that's not important. You're basing your opinion on how the teams finished last season and the historical dominance of UGA. I'm basing mine on the game last year at your stadium. If you couldn't whip us in Sanford when we gave you every chance to punch one in why would you be certain that UGA will win by more than 20 points at our stadium. Next years team will not have shattered by the time Georgia comes to town (or, if they have then we have massive issues) so they will not be so quick to accept defeat. They will fight throughout the entire game and it will be a close game until the end.

xnex (1/30/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/30/2008)
xnex (1/29/2008)
1 question

I admit that I thought the Gamecocks were going to turn a corner last season and they completely fell apart. In my mind the Ten. loss is what crushed us but that's not important. You're basing your opinion on how the teams finished last season and the historical dominance of UGA. I'm basing mine on the game last year at your stadium. If you couldn't whip us in Sanford when we gave you every chance to punch one in why would you be certain that UGA will win by more than 20 points at our stadium. Next years team will not have shattered by the time Georgia comes to town (or, if they have then we have massive issues) so they will not be so quick to accept defeat. They will fight throughout the entire game and it will be a close game until the end.

I am basing my opinion on the teams coming into the year. You are basing your opinion on one game last year that was the first sec game for 26 guys who saw playing time. Last year's game has as much significance as the previous 5 games. It means as much as the last game played in columbia. You kidding you gave uga every chance? UGA outgained and moved the ball up and down and left 5 touchdowns on the field in that game.. UGA gave you guys every chance to open the game up and you guys couldn't in that game. Let's see if uga can shut out sc again.. that would be quite nice. :w00t::w00t:

judas yeast (2/4/2008)
UGA is overrated every year (especially by the fans) so this sort of attitude shouldn't be surprising. :D

USC will win AGAIN. Mark it down.

Actually that is completely and utterly false.. Almost every year UGA is underrated. We have plenty of facts to back that up. This year is a prime example, preseason #12 and finish post season #2. I know you haven't been on here much, but that has already been established. Yep 5 years prior you guys lost. You said that every year then as well.. LOL ;):P