HOW THE FALCONS TURN THIS SHIP AROUND FOR YEARS TO COME...

magnus23

The 2007/08 draft years are going to repair a lot of deficiencies for a very long time. This year ... there is so much depth and redundancy ... this team can really be shored up.

Round 1 -

Dorsey or Ellis

With Trey Lewis our only true NT ... and with two ELITE DTs in this draft ... we have to make this move. If we avoid the injury bug ... our defensive line could be two deep and solid.

Round 2a -

Mendelhall if he drops .... if not .... Flacco....if he is taken .... Sam Baker ....if he taken Gosder Cherilus

Round 2b -

John David Booty, if he is taken .... Josh Johnson

Round 3

If a QB has not been picked by us ... Josh Johnson ... if one has, Heath Benedict OT if we have not picked up an OT yet .... if we have .... Philip Wheeler MLB ....if taken ....Matt Forte RB.

Round 4

If Craig Steltz SS/FS is available .... take him ....

Round 4b

Kevin O'Connell if a QB has not been picked up yet, if it has Jason Jones DE.

Round 5

Kevin Hoff if we have not selected an ILB if we have ... Chad Rinehart OG.

Round 6

Corey Boyd or Kevin Hester, if we already have a running back ... Joe Fields or David Roach FS.

Round 6a/b

Breno Giacomini OT and/or Brian Johnston DE

Round 7a/b

Shannon Tevaga OG and/or Alexis Serna K

magnus23 (1/27/2008)
The 2007/08 draft years are going to repair a lot of deficiencies for a very long time. This year ... there is so much depth and redundancy ... this team can really be shored up.

Round 1 -

Dorsey or Ellis

With Trey Lewis our only true NT ... and with two ELITE DTs in this draft ... we have to make this move. If we avoid the injury bug ... our defensive line could be two deep and solid.

Round 2a -

Mendelhall if he drops .... if not .... Flacco....if he is taken .... Sam Baker ....if he taken Gosder Cherilus

Round 2b -

Round 3

If a QB has not been picked by us ... Josh Johnson ... if one has, Heath Benedict OT if we have not picked up an OT yet .... if we have .... Philip Wheeler MLB ....if taken ....Matt Forte RB.

Round 4

Round 4b

Round 5

Round 6

Corey Boyd or Kevin Hester, if we already have a running back ... Joe Fields or David Roach FS.

Round 6a/b

Round 7a/b

I have us taking an OT no later than the third round and as early as our second pick.

I'd like to see the OL addressed with at least two good prospects to go along with Blalock from last year. I'd also like to see us get somebody to work beside Lewis on the interior of the DL. Rod's getting up in years and a good DL makes everybody else's job easier while a good OL protects any investment we make in a running back.

magnus23 (1/27/2008)

Round 1 -

Dorsey or Ellis

Round 2a -

Round 2b -

Round 3

Round 4

Round 4b

Round 5

Round 6

Round 6a/b

Round 7a/b

That is true. We need Qb and O-line first. By the way Houndz that Lox album is amazing eh?

JayOzOne (1/27/2008)
I'd like to see the OL addressed with at least two good prospects to go along with Blalock from last year. I'd also like to see us get somebody to work beside Lewis on the interior of the DL. Rod's getting up in years and a good DL makes everybody else's job easier while a good OL protects any investment we make in a running back.

I think we will get one OL high and one OL low.

Lewis, Ellis, and Dorsey can play three technique ... so we are covered when Coleman leaves.

I still think Coleman has a good couple of years in him if he can just tone down the off-field activities.

I would be very happy if the draft progressed in that way.

Initially analysts were saying there were no legit second round QBs in this draft ... but there is shaping up to be at least three or four.

Also value can be found at the running back position as low as the sixth round ... Corey Boyd really does have all .... and is a major sleeper.

OT is available throughout this draft and TD is adept at finding those gems per his resume.

Remember the Jags tried out Heath Benedict last year in case he entered the draft early.

So we may have our eye on him.

jonahfalcon (1/27/2008)
I would be very happy if the draft progressed in that way.

Initially analysts were saying there were no legit second round QBs in this draft ... but there is shaping up to be at least three or four.

Also value can be found at the running back position as low as the sixth round ... Corey Boyd really does have all .... and is a major sleeper.

OT is available throughout this draft and TD is adept at finding those gems per his resume.

Remember the Jags tried out Heath Benedict last year in case he entered the draft early.

So we may have our eye on him.

Well said.

Posted this in another thread, but it fits here too.

We aren't going to rebuild in 1 year, if we go get a qb in the first few rounds of the draft, chances are he gets killed since we won't be overhauling the line. I say start up front, build a power o-line. Get the line used to playing together this year with the QB's we have (maybe pick up a vet FA qb) but get rid of Harrington (sucks) and Leftwich (injury prone). Let DJ and Redman compete for the spot along with a vet. Develope the pass protection establish the running game and solidify our defense.

Look at the Chicago Bears in 2006, or the Superbowl Ravens. They had no passing game AT ALL and they both went to the show. Redman showed a lot of promise late last year when our team was already down. If he can come in and do that out of the gate... even just a little of what he did, the momentum may carry us pretty far.

We won't win the show next year, but we can work toward it. We have 2 decent QB's with DJ and Redman. For the draft, I say grab the O-line, young minds ready to come in and learn. Develope them together along with a few of the o-line we have now, and wait to grab a QB once we know he won't get killed and shake his confidence back there. Grab a power back in this RB deep draft, a young power DT in the draft, along with a DT FA (or keep Coleman) Spend the money and get Samuels (also keep D. Hall).

Our LB's are good, I know everyone rags on Brooking, but he was tied 21st in tackles... he was tied with Boley. They were the the highest Falcons on the list. D. Hall was the only Falcon on the interception list (5) and had 70 total tackles (He stops the run).

Everyone needs to stop wanting to get rid of all of our vets who produce. Instead put people around them that compliment their short comings. If we had BIGGER DTs who could run stuff and penetrate, the rest of the D could play their position with confidence. Everything starts up front, if you don't have a great O-line your QB gets killed or rushed, and your RB's are going to go anywhere (It's a team sport). If the D line doesn't put preasure on the other teams QB, then any QB can pick a D apart.

I love Dunn, and when you talk about having Great character... Dunn sets the standard with everything he gives back to the community. This is a business and while I love loyalty, Dunn will probably hurt us more with the money we will give him compared to the cap hit we will take if we cut him.

Anyway, Draft IMO should be = O-line, D-line, and RB, possibly a younger kicker in later rounds, and a late late late round diamond in the rough QB. **** if Colt Brennan is still there with our last pick... grab him, he is better than at least 2 of what we had this year

Cuts: Jennings (PLEASE), Jenkins, Harrington, Leftwich, Dunn (don't want to), Gandy, Finneran (love him but 2 years not playing sucks), Lowe, Horn (but I think he could still teach White and Robinson, so maybe keep him), and Coleman (although not sure about this one)

What does everyone think?

Oddy (1/29/2008)
Football thread, and you bring up my picture... can you say insecurities. Back to football please. Love the negative aspect people try to bring towards others because they have issues with themselves.

OK, I'm not going to lie but that picture scares the ##### out of me. How can you talk football when there is some guy pulling his pants down in his avatar?

Oddy (1/29/2008)
Football thread, and you bring up my picture... can you say insecurities. Back to football please. Love the negative aspect people try to bring towards others because they have issues with themselves.
I'm absolutely okay with myself. I'm not the one screaming for attention by putting a picture of myself with my pants unzipped on a MB. To me that is an issue.

bluedevilx34 (1/29/2008)
Not a fan of the Steltz pick. He seems to be a typical college overachiever. He'll be a special teamer in the nfl, no more. I could be wrong though.

Plus the shoulder injury he just received. We don't need another injury prone player.

MidWest Falcon (1/29/2008)
I would rather get Tom Zbikowski. We can get him in the later rounds as well :cool:

I like him too, but it seems more teams are interested in him now that he said he is done with boxing. He is one of the few good safeties... not sure how late he will be there though.

Oddy (1/29/2008)
MidWest Falcon (1/29/2008)
I would rather get Tom Zbikowski. We can get him in the later rounds as well :cool:

I like him too, but it seems more teams are interested in him now that he said he is done with boxing. He is one of the few good safeties... not sure how late he will be there though.

He had a good week of senior bowl practices, scouts said he did well covering TE's and slot receivers and proved he was not as one-dimensional as previously thought. Plus he returned punts at ND so we could get value there. I'm a huge fan of his, I followed his whole career at ND starting when ESPN.com posted his journal going through the recruiting process out of highschool.