The RIGHT Draft! (pt. II)

Gimmesomo

Here we go again! Of course...my two cents matter and as a diehard, true Falcons fan d@mmit i'm entitled to it! Also, i consider myself a mock draft veteran with former 1st Round suggestions like Patrick Willis! :D....Honestly, i know it's quite a few members on this board who are just as entitled if not more to a super-delegate's suggestion but hey man, this is one of the few things in my life that actually do well...so... Uh....lets see....

Libid21's mock was one of the few that i've read recently and would actually co-sign....one of the few...Most of the mocks on this board are poorly researched and are causes of "spur-of-the-moment" type ideas or suggestions...none of which i'm truely opposed to (besides that Matt Ryan crap) and i try to read almost every posting that makes atleast a small amount of sense (though i rarely respond). Due to the fact that post-Senior Bowl nobody seems to interested in what the **** happens, atleast until the Combine, i decided to help some of you catch a d@mn clue.....

------------------------

2008 Falcon's Mock Draft

R.1

---------

with no further than the 5th Pick in the First Round of the 2008 NFL Draft: Darren McFadden will still be available and still be a viable option towards breathing life back into this franchise. BUT! Dimitrioff thinks: 'Instead of making the feel good decision we're gonna make the wise decision and wah-lah!

The Falcons trade their Top-5 pick to the Arizona Cardinals for their 16th pick in the First, their 48th pick in the Second, their 112th pick in the Fourth and a 4th Round pick next year. (This makes perfect sense in terms of Draft Value)

pick 16- The Atlanta Falcons select: Jeff Otah, LT, Pittsburgh (6'6, 340) - there's no doubt Mularkey will want to draft a 'back like Johnathan Stewart or Rashard Mendenhall, fortunately he'll agree to this choice because 'no O-line, no run-game'. Otah opted not to play in the Senior Bowl but that decision should not drop his stock significantly. The explanation behind this pick is: DOMINANCE. Otah's footwork and hand placement will need refining but what he lacks in technique he makes up for in sheer power. The only reason he gets the nod over Chris Williams is the fact that he'll be better in the long-run and may become more dominant than Jake Long with time.

R.2

-----------

pick 35-37- The Falcons select: Curtis Lofton, ILB, Oklahoma, j, (6'0, 240) - at this point everyone's anticipating a QB selection, even you, but add the obvious weakness of this position to Mike Smith's disposition and this guy becomes the solution. After watching Lofton this season he get's the highest compliment from me: 'this guy is a football player!'. The fact that he is such an obvious selection leads me to wondering is this Franchise truely in a new era, one of making the right choices, or is that just a slogan to get rekindle our hopes? Only time will tell.

pick 48 from Arizona- The Falcons select: Dre Moore, DT, Maryland , (6'4, 310) - no QB yet? NOPE! The biggest overhaul needed this offseason for this franchise is in the trenches right? Moore is one of my personal favorites. He didn't get alotta burn in the Senior Bowl but if you noticed him in practice this guy was impressive. Strong, youthful with a great motor; he'll still need a year to fully develop but will show above-average ability and flashes of dominance his first year. Paired with a healthy Trey Lewis our opponet's run game get effectively neutralized.

pick 50 from Houston- The Falcons select: Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego, (6'3, 205) - YESSSS!!!! It's SO many variables with this pick that i earnestly consider it a "dream pick", meaning it most likely won't happen. Although, i'm sure his stock will rise after the Combine i'm not sure if someone will like him enough to take 'em sooner or we don't consider him a legit future leader on this team and go with somebody else (like JD Booty). Either way i'm not gonna blather on about 'em more than i already have. Check the "Josh Johnson Just Makes Sense" topic if you want to know my opinion.....43 touchdowns to 1 interception?.......think about it.

R.3

-----------

pick 67-69- The Falcons select: DaJuan Morgan, FS, NC State, j, (6'0, 205) - I really have to apologize to all the Falcons' "safety apologists" as i like to call them. Whether you buy it or not we desperately need an influx of talent at this position. Jimmy Williams WILL NEVER BE THE GUY HE WAS DRAFTED TO BE! And Chris Crocker has always been a band-aid for the problem. Morgan is probably the next best thing to come out of NC State after Philip Rivers and Mario Williams. His strength and speed allow him to play at either saftey position. He has a great attitude, positive demeanor, and want and will to learn and be great at what he does. Moreso he's a physical safety that's use to either playing coverage or stopping the run. Perfect fit i'd like to think.

compensation pick for Kerney- The Falcons select: Oniel Cousins, OT, UTEP, (6'4, 305) - This is my official "Clabo-competition" guy. If Tyson can out work this guy then not only should he start, he'll deserve the appropriate accolades for his accomplishment. If you notice Cousins in the Senior Bowl he made a couple of mistakes BUT: his motor KEPT going, he dominated his man when in the correct form, and he has a nasty-streak. He'd be perfect for moving from his previous right Tackle position inside to the right Guard position. I guarantee this guy'll beat out Clabo.....or Forney, and be starting by mid-season.

R.4

-----------

pick 99-101- The Falcons select: John Greco, OT, Toledo, (6'5, 320) - Can you fix an O-Line in one draft? NO. Can you set up the cornerstone's to insure a Pro-Bowl offensive line? YES. Greco was the only Tackle that stood out to me during the Shrine Bowl. He showed flashes of dominance that lead me to believe he could eventually start at the next level. Of course Todd Weiner is still one of the better right Tackles in the league so Greco is pretty much groomed as not only the eventual starter but insurance!

pick 112 from Arizona- The Falcons select: Cory Boyd, RB, South Carolina, (6'0, 215) - I have to apologize to all the Matt Forte-co-signers for this pick. I REALLY like Forte too and i think he's gonna make a great pro, but the fact is: there is ALWAYS somebody else who is less-known with the same abilities if not more! Cory Boyd is that guy with just as much shiftiness, power, and speed. (I'm really curious to see what these two guys 40 times are in the Combine.) I honestly think that Boyd has slightly more catching and blocking ability and if pushed he can distribute more power wereas Forte is just as much of a finesse-type back. Boyd kinda reminds me of Willie Parker.

R.5

-----------

pick 131-133- The Falcons select: ??????????

R.6

-----------

pick 163-165- The Falcons select: ??????????

R.7

-----------

pick 195-197- The Falcons select: ??????????

pick 220 from Pittsburgh- The Falcons select: ??????????

Aight, so i kinda "petered out" after the 4th but you catch my drift!!! Respond if you want or finish it for all i care!!!......thanks

Gimmesomo (1/27/2008)
Also, i consider myself a mock draft veteran with former 1st Round suggestions like Patrick Willis! :D

First, I would say that hardly means you are a "mock draft veteran", but whatever helps you sleep at night.

Secondly, why would Arizona want to trade up? I don't think I saw that in your mock, so before I respond, I just wanted to see what they were trading up to get.

Great picks and very realistic , WE have a lot ofthe same taste , I know that , only 2 things I would do differant is I wouldn't trade down or take a FS that high . I really like the rest especially Cory Boyd . If we had the 16 pick thou I would take Jonathan Stewart with that pick and then get my OTs latter .

Gimmesomo (1/27/2008)

pick 112 from Arizona- The Falcons select: Cory Boyd, RB, South Carolina, (6'0, 215) - I have to apologize to all the Matt Forte-co-signers for this pick. I REALLY like Forte too and i think he's gonna make a great pro, but the fact is: there is ALWAYS somebody else who is less-known with the same abilities if not more! Cory Boyd is that guy with just as much shiftiness, power, and speed. (I'm really curious to see what these two guys 40 times are in the Combine.) I honestly think that Boyd has slightly more catching and blocking ability and if pushed he can distribute more power wereas Forte is just as much of a finesse-type back. Boyd kinda reminds me of Willie Parker.

How does Boyd remind you of Parker hes 2"+ taller over 10lbs more and Parker has a 40 time that is .2 sec faster AT LEAST. Boyd is shifty, Parker is fast.

I am impressed with Boyd's receiving stats with 35+ catches and 350+ yards his past 3 seasons.

L.Rover (1/27/2008)
Gimmesomo (1/27/2008)
Also, i consider myself a mock draft veteran with former 1st Round suggestions like Patrick Willis! :D

First, I would say that hardly means you are a "mock draft veteran", but whatever helps you sleep at night.

Secondly, why would Arizona want to trade up? I don't think I saw that in your mock, so before I respond, I just wanted to see what they were trading up to get.

Uh.....Darren McFadden...i thought context clues would alude to that...and i was j/j about "mock draft vet" duh! Geez'louweez lighten up...Gawd! (in the voice of Napoleon Dynamite)

Guest Libid21

I'll help you finish it off:

5. WR Dexter Jackson

6. K Art Carmody or DE Adamm Oliver

7. C Fernando Velasco Georgia

7. FB/RB Jehuu Caulcrick or K Jeremy Ito Rutgers

:D:D

Good mock though. I like the draft, but I don't know if we will really trade around. But we haven't seen Dimitroff draft yet, so you never know. Loving the Josh Johnson draft choice, but the earliest he will go is the early third round. Just my opinion though.

DaJuan Morgan is a very good safety, but we still have to let Williams develop. I will consider him a rookie as of last year because of the new position that he was forced to play [he didn't want to] and he didn't really do that bad in it. He made some rookie mistakes which is understandable. If we were to draft a safety, it would be a strong safety because we will need to look for a replacement for Milloy as soon as possible.

I think you drafted too many offensive tackles. We need to bring in more depth in the interior line more than tackle once we get our starters because we have a capable back up in Foster and maybe Weiner if he is willing to mentor the young ones. I'd say add a offensive guard and take away someone like Greco, and I would like it more, but that's just a suggestion. I'm not trying to force you to change your mind.

Boyd is an interesting running back, but Forte is still a better back. However, you passed on him in the third round. That's where Forte will most likely be drafted in, so this would be a good pick and of good value if you want a versatile back. Not sure if Boyd would be the power back that we would need. If we pass on Forte, I would honestly rather have Caulcrick from Michigan St. who has an excellent blend of size, speed, and power.

Cory Boyd is my pick for runningback this year. He can be picked up in later rounds and is a workhorse. He can pound tha ball up tha middle, break it to tha outside, and catch from out tha backfield as well as a receiver. He's tha kind of runningback that looks for tha ball to be thrown to him.

Everybody's going with tha newest riser on draft charts, Matt Forte, but Cory Boyd is better imo. he's played in tha SEC (something that's big on these boards). And while Forte "shined" in tha Senior Bowl, Boyd's stats were similar if not better in tha East West Shrine game.

Yall will see at tha combine tho.

thakrunk1 (1/27/2008)
Cory Boyd is my pick for runningback this year. He can be picked up in later rounds and is a workhorse. He can pound tha ball up tha middle, break it to tha outside, and catch from out tha backfield as well as a receiver. He's tha kind of runningback that looks for tha ball to be thrown to him.

Everybody's going with tha newest riser on draft charts, Matt Forte, but Cory Boyd is better imo. he's played in tha SEC (something that's big on these boards). And while Forte "shined" in tha Senior Bowl, Boyd's stats were similar if not better in tha East West Shrine game.

I am torn on Byrd. One of my buddies is an SC alum, so I watched a good bit of Byrd, and when I told him how unimpressed I was with him this past season, he quickly replied "oh man, Byrd is one of the best in SEC, hands down."

Now I know he is incredibly biased, but I guess Byrd has shown some flashes of skill over the years, or any SC fan wouldn't be singing his praises (you should hear how they talk about Blake Mitchell)

Guest Libid21
thakrunk1 (1/27/2008)

I don't know. All the things you've listed about Boyd, Snelling can do.

Boyd was one of the best players at the shrine Game. I was amazed at how well he caught the ball.

If Dorsey and Ellis is gone is the only way I'd trade down , and then I would only try to trade down about 4 or 5 picks and then take Glady , or trade down a 2nd time and get another pick and Jonathan Stewart . That would give us 4 2nd rounders , Wow! That sounds pretty good .:)

Guest Libid21
Draftnut57 (1/27/2008)
Boyd was one of the best players at the shrine Game. I was amazed at how well he caught the ball.

If Dorsey and Ellis is gone is the only way I'd trade down , and then I would only try to trade down about 4 or 5 picks and then take Glady , or trade down a 2nd time and get another pick and Jonathan Stewart . That would give us 4 2nd rounders , Wow! That sounds pretty good .:)

1.OT Clady

2.ILB Curtis Lofton

2.OT Carl Nicks

2.OG Branden Albert

1.RB Stewart

2.OT Anthony Collins

2.OT Carl Nicks

2.DT Red Bryant

2.LB Philip Wheeler

Wow, amazing possibilities. Draftnut, please apply to be the next GM of Atlanta or draft planner or something lol

Libid21 (1/27/2008)
thakrunk1 (1/27/2008)

no way should you put Boyd and Snelling in tha same category. Boyd is a pure runningback; somebody that can get 15+ touches a game and make a noticeable difference. The guy can flat out play some football, and he has one of those tear-jearker stories behind his success. He's about 6'1'' 215lbs, but im sure he'll add more weight and be ripped for tha combine. He's easily faster than Forte, packs a punch, and can shift through traffic.

yall will see at tha combine tho.

Scrappy777 (1/27/2008)
Love the draft man. I'm a huge Oklahoma fan so i'm lovin the Loften pick. I honestly cant find any flaws with it. I'd cry tears of joy.

I'm a huge Lofton fan too, I'd love to be able to get him. If we had taken Atwan Barnes last year instead of Millner we be set at MLB. Barnes was a steal .

Guest Libid21
thakrunk1 (1/27/2008)
Libid21 (1/27/2008)
thakrunk1 (1/27/2008)

no way should you put Boyd and Snelling in tha same category. Boyd is a pure runningback; somebody that can get 15+ touches a game and make a noticeable difference. The guy can flat out play some football, and he has one of those tear-jearker stories behind his success. He's about 6'1'' 215lbs, but im sure he'll add more weight and be ripped for tha combine. He's easily faster than Forte, packs a punch, and can shift through traffic.

Enough with the y'all crap. I don't want to read hillbilly accents on forums.

You're assuming now. You're assuming Boyd will be 'jacked' for the combine and that he will be bigger. Sounds like you just have his autograph or something.

Listen, the kid's got a great story. I know that. He's a terrific athlete and can be a star back if you put him in the right 1,2 punch combination. But in Mularkey's offense, I just don't see Boyd being the missing piece of our offense. We need someone who's more of a bruiser than anything else, but Boyd's more speedy than anything else. He runs hard, but that doesn't mean he will be bruising any NFL linebackers any time soon. He's not a Maurice-Jones Drew no matter how much muscle he puts on.

We already have a speedster in Norwood. We need a power back like Jehuu Caulcrick, Matt Forte, or someone in the free agency like Michael Turner who's got that ability to hit the hole.

Libid21 (1/27/2008)
thakrunk1 (1/27/2008)
Libid21 (1/27/2008)
thakrunk1 (1/27/2008)

You're assuming now. You're assuming Boyd will be 'jacked' for the combine and that he will be bigger. Sounds like you just have his autograph or something.

Listen, the kid's got a great story. I know that. He's a terrific athlete and can be a star back if you put him in the right 1,2 punch combination. But in Mularkey's offense, I just don't see Boyd being the missing piece of our offense. We need someone who's more of a bruiser than anything else, but Boyd's more speedy than anything else. He runs hard, but that doesn't mean he will be bruising any NFL linebackers any time soon. He's not a Maurice-Jones Drew no matter how much muscle he puts on.

We already have a speedster in Norwood. We need a power back like Jehuu Caulcrick, Matt Forte, or someone in the free agency like Michael Turner who's got that ability to hit the hole.

that's all I can do is assume for now. i would hope that he doesnt come to tha combine outta shape just for his well-being and future. Most players usually do come to tha combine in tip-top shape.

and i dont have tha man's autograph. i just know that he's just as capable as Forte; better, I believe. Do you want a guy that's just gonna fit tha system, or a guy that'll fit tha system and do more?

yall will see at tha combine.

Draftnut57 (1/27/2008)
Scrappy777 (1/27/2008)
Love the draft man. I'm a huge Oklahoma fan so i'm lovin the Loften pick. I honestly cant find any flaws with it. I'd cry tears of joy.

I'm a huge Lofton fan too, I'd love to be able to get him. If we had taken Atwan Barnes last year instead of Millner we be set at MLB. Barnes was a steal .

Yup! i wanted Barnes too man! I think the only reason we drafted Nicholas is 'cause he use to beat on Quitrino's old Louisville squad.

Libid21 (1/27/2008)
thakrunk1 (1/27/2008)
Libid21 (1/27/2008)
thakrunk1 (1/27/2008)

I gotta admit Forte is a great blend of strength, speed, and finesse. He's not really a bruiser though, more shiftiness with the ability to administer punishment. Boyd's gotta better frame for contact but doesn't seem to prefer contact, like he'll hit somebody but not as hard like his intent isn't to pop you, ya know? Forte'll pop you if he gets the chance so that's something i like about him but know that if Boyd had the same attitude he'd be a little better at it and probably could do it more consistently. I'm waiting for the combine to see who has the best flat out speed. Boyd has better hands but Forte may be a better blocker. I'd be satisfied with either, but when pile pushers like BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Peyton Hillis will be available in the 4th-7th Rounds i'd rather not spend as much money when i could get the same production for less $.