I hate being a Hawks fan

±0.5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GEORGIAfan (1/27/2008)
we are still in the postseason if it started right now. i just hope we can turn it around, because our PG problem is still showing. when will acie get more time? same with salim.

Brandon Roy mad Joe look silly tonight. coach should have switched with a faster defender

NineOhTheRino (1/27/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/27/2008)
we are still in the postseason if it started right now. i just hope we can turn it around, because our PG problem is still showing. when will acie get more time? same with salim.

Brandon Roy mad Joe look silly tonight. coach should have switched with a faster defender

Not trying to bash but Joe held the ball for like 24 seconds at the end of the game.

Question is would it be beneficial he if was on the bench.

NineOhTheRino (1/27/2008)
GEORGIAfan (1/27/2008)

Who were they going to put on him? Joe is our best defender, and Roy causes those same mis-match problems that JJ does. They play almost identical games.

keithbrooking56 (1/28/2008)
I love the Hawks but Knight and Woodson are a joke. The ownership fiasco doesn't help either. But when you draft bums like Shellhead over guys like Roy or Gay then I'm sorry but you need to be fired. I won't even TOUCH the whole Marvin over Deron Williams and Chris Paul blunder.

This Chris Paul crap will be the death sentance to Knight. What team would hire the guy after screwing that up? Hawks fan must stand up and demand better from the FO

Anansi (1/28/2008)

The team has talent, the coach sucks.

And that's the problem right there. Woodson has no offensive gameplan, no real philosophy. Whenever you see him drawing up a play at the end of a game, it always ends up being "inbounds to joe...dribble down the clock, take a tough shot." For like the last 3 minutes of any close game, that's our entire plan on O. It's just sickening.

I gave Woody the benefit of the doubt up until this season...no more.

While I was not happy with the result last night I think blaming Billy and Woody for the loss is a bit much. Roy was very impressive. But, the foul that the refs called on Joe was ridiculos. Look at the tape. Roy pushed off to get separation and fell down. How exactly is that a foul on JJ when Roy initated the contact? That should have been a no call if not an offensive foul. I guarantee that would have been a no call in Atlanta.

Jsmooth had two turnovers in the last 7 minutes. Roy got two and-ones on layups in the last six minutes. That s you you have to foul the ish out of someone to ensure they don t make the basket and earn it at the line. Roy shoots 78% of the line, so that would have been a good trade off for us. That s not coaching folks. Our guys have to start doing the things to win games on the floor.

FYI: The Blazers scored 8 points in the 4th off our our turnovers. Two 3 point plays as one was from behind the line and the other came from a and1. The Blazers scored two more points via a layup by Roy after he blocked Josh Smith s shot on the other side of the floor. So, when you factor the 10 points we gave to the other team along with 6 lost scoring chances on our side (7 with the the block on Smooth) it s clear what lost this game. That s not on Woody or Billy. That s on the guys in blue that had Atlanta across their chests last night! They had 6 turnovers in the 4th. The Hawks had 8 turnovers in the other 3 quarters!! We need to take care of the basketball. How does Josh Smith get his shot blocked by Brandon Roy? Joe played all but 3 minutes and 6 seconds of the game. He had a tough night shooting, but didn t get any real easy shots. JJ got a clear look on the last shot. It just didn t fall, but I don t expect the guy to walk on water. Get rid of Joe and we don t make the playoffs because Josh and Marvin will draw all the attention that Joe s been getting.

Lets look at the positives from last night:

1) Woody called two beautiful plays that resulted in alleyopps within the last 4 minutes.

2) We ve taken the team with the longest winning streak in the NBA this season to the limit twice in a weeks time. That was one of the better games I ve seen this year.

3) We are playing well in our division and at home.

4) We are less than 5 games out of #4 playoff spot despite having a 4-6 record over our last 10 and 6-13 record on the road.

5) Marvin is really stepping up his game and playing well along side Joe and Smooth, and getting to the line. I'm happier with Marvin's play (compared to Smooth's) because he is scoring almost as many points with fewer shots, but has a FG percentage 5 points higher. I'd like to see more plays called for him because he plays from inside out and takes high percentage shots.

6) We are 13-4 when ahead after the 3rd quarter. So, this year is not a case of losing games in the 4th quarter. We're winning 76% of the time when ahead going into the 4th with last nights loss (We would have won 82% of the time with a lead going into the 4th had we done a better job protecting the ball). Loosing leads in the 4th quarter was much more of a factor last year and in previous years.

FYI: Portland is 10-14 when behind after the 3rd. Clearly, the Blazers are very good at coming from behind. Lets look at the records of other teams... Boston 4-4, Detroit 3-9, Orlando 1-13 (Who wanted Jeff VanGundy here), Denver 7-12, Phoenix 5-11, New Orleans 5-11, Lakers 4-10, San Antonio 5-13, Dallas 3-10, Cleveland 12-17, Atlanta 4-17

7) We are still maturing. This is a young team. But, we are getting more dangerous by the game and will make the playoffs this year if things go as they have been.

MrHughes (1/28/2008)

7) We are still maturing. This is a young team. But, we are getting more dangerous by the game and will make the playoffs this year if things go as they have been.

Oh, I don't blame it all on Woody. But he just hasn't proven himself as a coach. Sure, we're a young team. So is Portland, and look what they're doing in the west.

Woody called 2 nice alley oop plays, which they didn't stop. Unfortunately, we stopped it by not trying it again (how bout this time with smoove, or chills?).

I backed him for a long time, but I think now that at best he can be a mediocre coach.

Fanboy3000 (1/28/2008)
MrHughes (1/28/2008)

Oh, I don't blame it all on Woody. But he just hasn't proven himself as a coach. Sure, we're a young team. So is Portland, and look what they're doing in the west.

Woody called 2 nice alley oop plays, which they didn't stop. Unfortunately, we stopped it by not trying it again (how bout this time with smoove, or chills?).

I backed him for a long time, but I think now that at best he can be a mediocre coach.

Normally that play is run with Smooth. That's why it worked... Steve Smith pointed out that teams are starting to look for that featuring Smooth. Running it with Marvin was genius. Childress only played the final 42 seconds inside of the 7:30 mark.

Mike Woodson is not medicore. He's maturing right along with the team. Lets look back over the season.

1) We beat the Mavs to open the season.

2) Lost by one on a horrid call in Detroit. (Free throws awarded to Billups with one second remaining in the contest) This is another game where we had a led going into the 4th and that a strinking similarity to last night because it was decided by the refs rather than the players.

3) Got beat on a fluke shot by the fake rookie of the year against the Sonics.

4) Lost by 4 in Cleveland to the defending Eastern Conference Champions in a game where one of the most feared players in the NBA put up 36 (James scored 32 of his 36 in the second half, including 19 in the fourth quarter and 12 in the final 1:50 to help the Cavs pull it out).

5) Teams we've beaten: Mavs, Suns, Magic (in Orlando), Jazz, Pacers, Cavs, Nuggets

Did you realize that we've beaten the teams currently seeded #2, #3, and #4 in both the Eastern and Western Conferences. Correct that... only in the West... We did not beat the Pistons...

6) Season win totals

2004-2005 13

2005-2006 26

2006-2007 30

We've already won 18 games officiallly this year (they've temporaily taken one win away ie: Heat), have not reach the Allstar break (still 10 games away), are in a slump 4-6 over last 10 and 6-13 on the road. We easily could have 22 wins at this point. It's concievable that the Hawks could have matched the season win total from last year by the All Star Break. That's beyond expectations in my book. Fire Billy and Woody... I think not!!

The team with Glenn Robinson, Jason Terry and Reed won only 35 games!!

MrHughes (1/28/2008)
While I was not happy with the result last night I think blaming Billy and Woody for the loss is a bit much. Roy was very impressive. But, the foul that the refs called on Joe was ridiculos. Look at the tape. Roy pushed off to get separation and fell down. How exactly is that a foul on JJ when Roy initated the contact? That should have been a no call if not an offensive foul. I guarantee that would have been a no call in Atlanta.

Jsmooth had two turnovers in the last 7 minutes. Roy got two and-ones on layups in the last six minutes. That s you you have to foul the ish out of someone to ensure they don t make the basket and earn it at the line. Roy shoots 78% of the line, so that would have been a good trade off for us. That s not coaching folks. Our guys have to start doing the things to win games on the floor.

FYI: The Blazers scored 8 points in the 4th off our our turnovers. Two 3 point plays as one was from behind the line and the other came from a and1. The Blazers scored two more points via a layup by Roy after he blocked Josh Smith s shot on the other side of the floor. So, when you factor the 10 points we gave to the other team along with 6 lost scoring chances on our side (7 with the the block on Smooth) it s clear what lost this game. That s not on Woody or Billy. That s on the guys in blue that had Atlanta across their chests last night! They had 6 turnovers in the 4th. The Hawks had 8 turnovers in the other 3 quarters!! We need to take care of the basketball. How does Josh Smith get his shot blocked by Brandon Roy? Joe played all but 3 minutes and 6 seconds of the game. He had a tough night shooting, but didn t get any real easy shots. JJ got a clear look on the last shot. It just didn t fall, but I don t expect the guy to walk on water. Get rid of Joe and we don t make the playoffs because Josh and Marvin will draw all the attention that Joe s been getting.

Lets look at the positives from last night:

1) Woody called two beautiful plays that resulted in alleyopps within the last 4 minutes.

2) We ve taken the team with the longest winning streak in the NBA this season to the limit twice in a weeks time. That was one of the better games I ve seen this year.

3) We are playing well in our division and at home.

4) We are less than 5 games out of #4 playoff spot despite having a 4-6 record over our last 10 and 6-13 record on the road.

5) Marvin is really stepping up his game and playing well along side Joe and Smooth, and getting to the line. I'm happier with Marvin's play (compared to Smooth's) because he is scoring almost as many points with fewer shots, but has a FG percentage 5 points higher. I'd like to see more plays called for him because he plays from inside out and takes high percentage shots.

6) We are 13-4 when ahead after the 3rd quarter. So, this year is not a case of losing games in the 4th quarter. We're winning 76% of the time when ahead going into the 4th with last nights loss (We would have won 82% of the time with a lead going into the 4th had we done a better job protecting the ball). Loosing leads in the 4th quarter was much more of a factor last year and in previous years.

FYI: Portland is 10-14 when behind after the 3rd. Clearly, the Blazers are very good at coming from behind. Lets look at the records of other teams... Boston 4-4, Detroit 3-9, Orlando 1-13 (Who wanted Jeff VanGundy here), Denver 7-12, Phoenix 5-11, New Orleans 5-11, Lakers 4-10, San Antonio 5-13, Dallas 3-10, Cleveland 12-17, Atlanta 4-17

Does it not make you head hurt to think about the fact that both Chris Paul and Brandon Roy could been Hawks? I'll give Woody a pass but I'll never let Knight get off so easy.

Bloodhoundz Reborn (1/28/2008)
Lets see Chris Paul is leading the New Orleans Hornets to the best record in the Western Conference and he's playing the the toughest division.

Now imagine Chris Paul leading the Hawks with all that talent the Hawks have in the SouthEast Division.

Why you wanna make me cry?

:crying:

Lets see Chris Paul is leading the New Orleans Hornets to the best record in the Western Conference and he's playing the the toughest division.

Now imagine Chris Paul leading the Hawks with all that talent the Hawks have in the SouthEast Division.

Yet fans still don't hold Billy accountable for this. Please explain to me why he gets a pass? Ok& .I understand us fans blowing this one but how in the **** can a self proclaimed basketball genius screw this one up.

I craziest thing about it was the fact that PG was the biggest need at the time.

But we all have to move on because what s done is done.

NineOhTheRino (1/28/2008)

Yet fans still don't hold Billy accountable for this. Please explain to me why he gets a pass? Ok& .I understand us fans blowing this one but how in the **** can a self proclaimed basketball genius screw this one up.

I craziest thing about it was the fact that PG was the biggest need at the time.

Brace yourself Fanboy this is what I was talking about me saying.

The worst part about it is that Knight also passed up on Deron Williams along with Chris Paul. Those are two great point guards and definitely would have the Hawks contending the East right now.

As a Houston Rockets fan I wish the Hawks would of taken either one of those players. :crying:

NineOhTheRino (1/28/2008)

I'm fine with the job Billy has done because we have good pieces.

Lets compare Billy's picks to our history Bab's came in 1990... Trevor Wilson, Rodney Monroe, Anthony Avent, Alan Henderson, Stacy Augmon, Jason Terry, Rumeal Robinson, Adam Keefe, Gaylon Nickerson, Shammond Williams, Preist Lauderdale, Donnie Boyce, Dion Glover, Cal Bowlder, Demarr Johnson(not his fault), Ed Gray, and Roshown McLeod.

The Hawks didn't draft a star for almost 20 years... Most of the players on that list were not even serviceable pros. I don't consider late second rounders anything more than a training camp cut.

Contrast that to Royal Ivey, Pau Gasol, Donta Smith, Josh Smith, Josh Childress, Salim Stoudamire, Marvin Williams, Shelden Williams, Acie Law, and Al Horford. Every player on the later list is a serviceable pro. You could say that we have drafted 4 starters in Acie, Marvin, Smooth, and Horford via Billy Knight. Roy is great, but not a PG. He does not solve our problems and would likely play behind Joe. Joe had one more assist than Roy last night. We needed front court depth that year more than depth depth at SG, so I can't fault him for picking M Williams. Also, Paul wasn't the right choice. D Williams is the better PG because he does more with less around him. The Jazz at least won a game against the Spurs. But, Marvin is beginning to show why he was the right pick. He's looked very good this year. Paul will not be playing at this level in 3 years. He's too small and there are durability and attitude issues with him. In conrast, Marvin will be feared in 3 years.

it's a damned crime that he didnt get voted as a starter in the All-Star game. 20.6 points a game, 10.5 assists, and nearly 3 steals

MrHughes (1/28/2008)

I'm fine with the job Billy has done because we have good pieces.

Lets compare Billy's picks to our history Bab's came in 1990... Trevor Wilson, Rodney Monroe, Anthony Avent, Alan Henderson, Stacy Augmon, Jason Terry, Rumeal Robinson, Adam Keefe, Gaylon Nickerson, Shammond Williams, Preist Lauderdale, Donnie Boyce, Dion Glover, Cal Bowlder, Demarr Johnson(not his fault), Ed Gray, and Roshown McLeod.

The Hawks didn't draft a star for almost 20 years... Most of the players on that list were not even serviceable pros. I don't consider late second rounders anything more than a training camp cut.

Contrast that to Royal Ivey, Pau Gasol, Donta Smith, Josh Smith, Josh Childress, Salim Stoudamire, Marvin Williams, Shelden Williams, Acie Law, and Al Horford. Every player on the later list is a serviceable pro. You could say that we have drafted 4 starters in Acie, Marvin, Smooth, and Horford via Billy Knight. Roy is great, but not a PG. He does not solve our problems and would likely play behind Joe. Joe had one more assist than Roy last night. We needed front court depth that year more than depth depth at SG, so I can't fault him for picking M Williams. Also, Paul wasn't the right choice. D Williams is the better PG because he does more with less around him. The Jazz at least won a game against the Spurs. But, Marvin is beginning to show why he was the right pick. He's looked very good this year. Paul will not be playing at this level in 3 years. He's too small and there are durability and attitude issues with him. In conrast, Marvin will be feared in 3 years.

Chris Paul has less help then Deron Williams. Deron Williams is playing with 2 players that have been all-stars. Chris Paul is the better PG. The Hornets would of been one of the top teams in the West last year if Paul didn't get hurt along with Peja and some other key players. I don't see how a Hawks fan can be satisfied with Billy Knight when passing up on Paul or D. Williams.