South Sr. Bowl Recap

67camaro

Scott Wright

President, NFL Draft Countdown

To many NFL scouts and decision makers the highlight of the Senior Bowl is the week of practices and the game is an afterthought. There is no doubt that performances in the actual game don't carry nearly as much weight as what happens the rest of the week but personally I think it would be a mistake to totally discount what happens on gameday. I want to see who rises to the occasion and stands out amongst his peers, who just happen to be 100 of the finest prospects in the nation. I watched the entire game from the South sideline and while these are only preliminary and I'll obviously have to evaluate the tape further here are my initial thoughts:

" Tennessee quarterback Erik Ainge got to air it out almost twice as many times as Colt Brennan and Andre Woodson combined and looked much better tonight than he did all week long. Ainge completed 13 of 21 passes for 159 yards, led his team on a game-winning drive and was named the South Offensive MVP.

" Tulane running back Matt Forte was named the 2008 Under Armour Senior Bowl Overall MVP after compiling 97 all-purpose yards (59 rushing and 38 receiving). Forte displayed good feet and some speed to get outside and late in the contest he had a very tough run down to the two yard line that set up the game-winning score.

" Television viewers got a glimpse of what we've been seeing from Tennessee St. cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie all week down here in Mobile when he made an athletic interception of a Joe Flacco pass. "D.R.C.", as I like to call him in my notes, was given the Under Armour Prototype Award along with Dan Connor.

" Arkansas fullback Peyton Hillis runs hard and is tough to bring down. He had a couple of nice runs in this game, highlighted by a 18 yarder right up the middle.

" Tennessee tight end Brad Cottam caught a touchdown. He has helped himself this week.

" Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan looked okay but he didn't have the big game that I anticipated. In his defense Brennan did seem to be facing a lot of pass rush pressure.

" L.S.U. fullback Jacob Hester does not seem to have much wiggle although he did adjust to the ball and make a nice catch in the passing game.

" Kentucky outside linebacker Wesley Woodyard looked as good as I've seen him all week and was seemingly in on every other play. He really flashed a lot today.

" Georgia Tech running back Tashard Choice looked awfully good, running hard and finishing his runs by delivering a blow rather than absorbing one.

" South Florida inside linebacker Ben Moffitt is obviously better in game action than he is in drills and practice. Today he laid a nice hit on Justin Forsett.

" The struggle continues for Kentucky quarterback Andre Woodson. His accuracy remains an issue and he also made some very questionable decisions that led to big plays for his opponent. He may have had an impressive TD/INT ratio in college but I think that is very misleading and his decision making is sketchy at best.

" Louisiana St. outside linebacker Ali Highsmith recorded four tackles and was named the South's Defensive MVP but he didn't really stand out to me during the game.

" Georgia kicker Brandon Coutu went 1 for 2 on his field goal attempts, hitting a 20 yarder but missing from 33. Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of this guy.

" Alabama wideout D.J. Hall showed good feet on a sideline catch.

" Newberry offensive tackle Heath Benedict was beaten badly by Jason Jones on one play.

" Louisville wide receiver Harry Douglas had his best play of the week on a nice catch and run in the 4th quarter. Where was that in the practices?

" Florida wide receiver Andre Caldwell had a pretty good game, showing some elusiveness and scoring the game-winning touchdown on a two yard run.

It wasn't always pretty but the South pulled out the win and credit Erik Ainge for leading an impressive game-winning drive. There were a number of impressive performances for the South and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is right at the top of the list but I really liked what I saw from Wesley Woodyard as well. The 2008 Under Armour Senior Bowl might be officially over but NFL Draft Countdown's coverage will continue. Be sure to stop back in the coming days for a Stock Watch with a look at who helped and hurt themselves the most in Mobile as well as an in-depth, position-by-position review of the entire week.

1989fan (1/27/2008)
honestly I would touch Woodson. If I could land him in round 5 or later, maybe, but not sooner. Someone will fall in love with stats and take him in the late 2nd or 3rd though.

Some would say that would be good a value pick, but when is it ever good value to waste a pick?? I do not care when you draft him it will be a waste!!

67camaro (1/28/2008)
1989fan (1/27/2008)
honestly I would touch Woodson. If I could land him in round 5 or later, maybe, but not sooner. Someone will fall in love with stats and take him in the late 2nd or 3rd though.

Some would say that would be good a value pick, but when is it ever good value to waste a pick?? I do not care when you draft him it will be a waste!!

that is a very good comment /question. I think you have to put the "value" on a pick weighing our risk/reward. When the possiblity of the guy becomming good in a season ro two outweighs the value of the pick, it is good value.

To be honest not many 5th round picks become anything, so I wouls ay in the 5th or later he would be worth a flyer, especially on a team that desperatly needs QB help. If I got Woodson in the 5th, I would want to see another QB brought in as well either in a higher pick, or FA, with Woodson as a backup plan.

red2play (1/28/2008)
I would take either Brohm, Henne, Ainge in the 2nd rd (in that order) and Woodson in the 3rd.

The Qb's this year aren't that good.

I completely disagree. This is a great year for QBs, just a bad year for a franchise QB. There is some serious potential, but there is not an elite QB.

" The struggle continues for Kentucky quarterback Andre Woodson. His accuracy remains an issue and he also made some very questionable decisions that led to big plays for his opponent. He may have had an impressive TD/INT ratio in college but I think that is very misleading and his decision making is sketchy at best."

Andre Woodson is the most despised draft pick I've ever seen while Matt Ryan is the most overrated I've ever seen. It's amazing.

The fact that people question the guy's decision making while anointing Matt Ryan is nothing short of ridiculous.

And first of all, it was one bad decision. Not taking a sack that led to a turnover.

Ignore the fact that the guy accounted for the South's only passing TD, accounted for 2/3 of their scoring drives, and was a hair away from 4/6 for 2 TDs.

Let's not put out Booty's and Flacco's poor numbers either. Let's pretend Woodson was the worst QB in the game when in reality, the only QBs that were decent in that game were Erik Ainge and Chad Henne