NFL Hype

Knight of God

Last night I posted something about my interest in Jonathan Stewart and I was unable to continue because I watched Resident Evil: Extinction and Superbad with my wife. Good movies.

My point is how draft status can affect PT during the season. I caught a little flack for it but really, I'm I really wrong?

2006 Draft- 2nd overrall pick and 1st RB taken was Reggie Bush, in the 2nd round was LenDale White who had negative hype saying that he was fat and lazy (didn't he have more rushing yds than Bush?), and laters on was Norwood who has a faster 40 time, weighs more than Bush, and has been noted as being a more powerful runner than Bush. Why was Bush the overall first RB taken then? He's a slot back. We the fans knew this...lol, why wouldn't FO's and coaches? Because they are not immune to the Hype-Machine. Norwood would've made more sense for the Saints in many ways, starting with the fact that he's from Mississippi which is right next door. He even played for a MS team...oh okay. His games were not nationally televised. That=Hype.

Hype will help your draft status, but won't make you a good player. I say take J. Stewart in the 2nd and use all of this hype to our advantage. Ryan is HYPE, Brohm is HYPE, Flacco is rising up the HYPE ranks, instead look to guys like Brennen, Dixon, and Josh Johnson. They are on Ryan's level and will be very much overlooked.

Use hype to YOUR advantage.

Thank you.

How do you figure?

Take a look at the mock drafts. Now mock drafts are rarely dead on but they can give a good indication of a players general selection spot.

I have yet to see Stewart out of the first round.

Yes mock drafts are a dime a dozen, they show that Stewart is first round material.

He is a special back as you and I agree. Teams also know this and the kid will be long gone before we pick in the 2nd.

But hey, its only my opinion based on what I have seen. We might get lucky but we cannot plan on this happening as most signs point to him being long gone.

falcons4life (1/27/2008)
How do you figure?

Take a look at the mock drafts. Now mock drafts are rarely dead on but they can give a good indication of a players general selection spot.

I have yet to see Stewart out of the first round.

Yes mock drafts are a dime a dozen, they show that Stewart is first round material.

He is a special back as you and I agree. Teams also know this and the kid will be long gone before we pick in the 2nd.

But hey, its only my opinion based on what I have seen. We might get lucky but we cannot plan on this happening as most signs point to him being long gone.

This is true. :pinch:, and the reality here is that he WILL be the best back taken in this draft. Whover takes this kid will have a slower, but stronger version of AP. He runs the same way (violently) and will break the **** out of arm tackles. McFadden won't be as great as hyped. He'll be good, just not great.

falcons4life (1/27/2008)
I say take J. Stewart in the 2nd

I love Stewart but not in our wildest dreams will he be available in the 2nd round.

I would love to see a scenario happen where Atlanta trades down to the middle of the 1st and gets Stewart and an extra 2nd round pick. With 3 2nd rd picks we could really clean up in this draft.

2nd rd: Henne - QB, Pollack - OC, Cherilus - OT.

bigduke633 (1/27/2008)
Norwood=3 tds, lendale white=7 tds, bush=15 tds

Better options?I dont think bush is great but hes better than those two.

Hype has a lot to do with it. He saw the ball way more than these guys. Especially more than Norwood. He's not that great, he had opportunities. White and Norwood did not. If Brian Leonard played for a team that could REALLY use him, he would've been one of the best.

jimusmc (1/27/2008)
bigduke633 (1/27/2008)

they dont really give norwood that many chances.

So if they double his carries next year he will get 2 tds?He had 1 td last year.He cant handle a large load and he cant stick between the tackles without going down for a week or 2.Is he talented?Absolutely,hes not a feature back though.Bush has a shot at being a marshall faulk type of back.Norwood is a perimeter player similiar to bush but he doesnt stay healthy or score.

bigduke633 (1/27/2008)
jimusmc (1/27/2008)
bigduke633 (1/27/2008)

So if they double his carries next year he will get 2 tds?He had 1 td last year.He cant handle a large load and he cant stick between the tackles without going down for a week or 2.Is he talented?Absolutely,hes not a feature back though.Bush has a shot at being a marshall faulk type of back.Norwood is a perimeter player similiar to bush but he doesnt stay healthy or score.

Norwood 4 years college every down player every game on a crap 8 men in the box team, perhaps more durability, same time in 40- your MArshall Faulk is more like Norwood.

texasbirdfan (1/27/2008)
bigduke633 (1/27/2008)
jimusmc (1/27/2008)
bigduke633 (1/27/2008)

Norwood 4 years college every down player every game on a crap 8 men in the box team, perhaps more durability, same time in 40- your MArshall Faulk is more like Norwood.

College?Why not mention how he rocked at his high school?He started every game and was in on every snap all 4 years in college?1st thats bs and second hes not playing against loiusiana monroe.I like what he can do but knowing what he cant do is just as important.

#12 Jerious Norwood

Full Name: Jerious Norwood

Born: July 29, 1983

Hometown: Jackson, MS

Height: 6-0

Weight: 204 lbs. Age: 23

Pos: RB

Class: Senior

Profile Stats Game Log

Stat Overview Rushing Receiving Fumbles

YEAR ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST

2004 195 1050 5.4 50 7 11 37 3.4 10 0 0 0

2005 191 1136 5.9 76 6 19 96 5.1 19 2 0 0

He started 2 years not 4.

legion, i am in total agreement with you on stewart. my dream draft would consist of stewart, j. johnson, and the rest OL/DL thru the first 3/4 rounds. if there is a way to manage a mid-1st rd pick, we have to take a shot at getting stewart. imo he is by far the best big back available. also i dont see how he could possibly slip to rd 2.

if we cant trade down i have been flirting with another scenario of how to get that pick for stewart. i know its a bit of a touchy subject, but considering the types of corners used in jax cover 2, and considering the new "team culture," i think we might see a trade of DHall, who would yield a mid-1st i believe. that could be our stewart pick.