McFadden

Jeremy Jones

POSTED 12:52 p.m. EST, January 27, 2008

'BOYS TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE FINS?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested during a special edition of Sunday NFL Countdown that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is eyeing the possibility of swinging a trade with the Dolphins for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Such a deal would allow the 'Boys to bag running back Darren McFadden, who played college football at Jones' alma mater of Arkansas.

Per Mort, any such deal would have to include the rights to Cowboys running back Marion Barber, who is slated to be a restricted free agent. To make it happen, the Cowboys would have to work out a sign-and-trade deal before Barber gets a chance to ink an offer sheet that would force the Cowboys to match the terms or let him go in exchange for compensation. Thus, the safest bet for the 'Boys would be to tender Barber at the highest possible level, which would force any team that signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick. Those extra picks then could be used to sweeten the pot for the top spot in the draft.

And it's clear that the Cowboys are going to have to find a way to enhance the two first-rounders that they can offer up for the No. 1 pick. Under the revised draft order, the Cowboys pick at No. 22 (from Cleveland) and at No. 28. Under the trade chart, the No. 22 overall pick is worth 780 points and the No. 28 selection is worth 660 points. The No. 1 selection has a value of 3,000 points; thus, the Cowboys would be a whopping 1,560 points short.

Though the trade chart arguably needs to be adjusted to reflect the fact that the enormous financial investment that is now required when using the top pick makes the prospects of a move up even more fraught with risk, the Fins could justify the 1,560-point gap by placing that value on Barber, who coupled with Ronnie Brown could give Miami a deadly one-two punch in the backfield.

Some readers think that the framework for a deal is already in place, and was part of the unspoken understanding that allowed the Dolphins to have their way with the Dallas front office and coaching staff. If that's true it wouldn't surprise us. Jones surely covets McFadden, and our guess is that he is willing to do whatever is necessary to get him.

profootballtalk.com

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Cowboys have a strong interest in Arkansas RB Darren McFadden.

Dallas has the No. 22 and No. 28 picks in the first round, so moving up in the draft won't be a problem. Moving up high enough to have a shot at McFadden will be difficult. The Cowboys would likely have to move ahead of the Falcons, who draft third. Miami is known to be interested in trading down.

rotoworld.com

Jeremy Jones (1/27/2008)
POSTED 12:52 p.m. EST, January 27, 2008

'BOYS TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE FINS?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested during a special edition of Sunday NFL Countdown that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is eyeing the possibility of swinging a trade with the Dolphins for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Such a deal would allow the 'Boys to bag running back Darren McFadden, who played college football at Jones' alma mater of Arkansas.

Per Mort, any such deal would have to include the rights to Cowboys running back Marion Barber, who is slated to be a restricted free agent. To make it happen, the Cowboys would have to work out a sign-and-trade deal before Barber gets a chance to ink an offer sheet that would force the Cowboys to match the terms or let him go in exchange for compensation. Thus, the safest bet for the 'Boys would be to tender Barber at the highest possible level, which would force any team that signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick. Those extra picks then could be used to sweeten the pot for the top spot in the draft.

And it's clear that the Cowboys are going to have to find a way to enhance the two first-rounders that they can offer up for the No. 1 pick. Under the revised draft order, the Cowboys pick at No. 22 (from Cleveland) and at No. 28. Under the trade chart, the No. 22 overall pick is worth 780 points and the No. 28 selection is worth 660 points. The No. 1 selection has a value of 3,000 points; thus, the Cowboys would be a whopping 1,560 points short.

Though the trade chart arguably needs to be adjusted to reflect the fact that the enormous financial investment that is now required when using the top pick makes the prospects of a move up even more fraught with risk, the Fins could justify the 1,560-point gap by placing that value on Barber, who coupled with Ronnie Brown could give Miami a deadly one-two punch in the backfield.

Some readers think that the framework for a deal is already in place, and was part of the unspoken understanding that allowed the Dolphins to have their way with the Dallas front office and coaching staff. If that's true it wouldn't surprise us. Jones surely covets McFadden, and our guess is that he is willing to do whatever is necessary to get him.

profootballtalk.com

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Cowboys have a strong interest in Arkansas RB Darren McFadden.

Dallas has the No. 22 and No. 28 picks in the first round, so moving up in the draft won't be a problem. Moving up high enough to have a shot at McFadden will be difficult. The Cowboys would likely have to move ahead of the Falcons, who draft third. Miami is known to be interested in trading down.

rotoworld.com

Dolphins (Parcells, Ireland, Sparano) probably won't trading out of that spot.. The Fans want a Franchise pick of a QB. They won't budge from that spot without an over-whelming offer.

Cowboys are too low, and there is no guarantee that any of the top 3 QBs will be around past pick #10-15.

Prediction: The Dolphins will draft Matt Ryan #1.

The Cowboys will attempt to talk to The Rams, Chiefs, Falcons next.. The Raiders would draft McFadden, so there is no chance to get their pick.

The Falcons are the best chance for The Cowboys to trade-up for McFadden. The Falcons would receive RB Barber, plus still have a 1st rounder to select a QB, or OT.

If the Cowboys were to sign Barber, then I'd be all for trading them our 1st pick for their 1st and Barber. If we get the 3rd pick, and it's been rumored that the Dolphins may be interested in Ryan, and ST Louis will not take a RB (Steven Jackson), we could be a prime target from Dallas.

We have to win the coin toss 1st.

I'd love to have "The Barbarian" on our team. Is is white right? j/k :w00t:

This could work in our favor. I really doubt it happens though. Why gamble on a rookie when you could just re-sign Barber?

bigduke633 (1/27/2008)
farbinkle (1/27/2008)
as i have posted before barber would be a great complement to norwood

what a vicious backfield!

Dont you mean norwood would complement barber?Norood has 3 tds in his career.I have seen barber score 2 or 3 in a game.Norwood is a 3rd downback and return man.

That is funny. :laugh:

I've been saying all along that the dream scenario is Barber and Dallas' two number one picks for our cap-expensive top 5 pick. I'll be surprised if Miami makes that trade since I cannot ever recall a team trading out of the top 20 when they pick #1, but Parcells is inscrutable at times. If they pass on it, I hope we jump all over it.

Of course, the other good news is that if NE gets locked in on Chris Long or Ellis, one of them will be on the board with our pick if Dallas trades up for McFadden. Trading down to #7 with NE works out even better than the Dallas deal would in terms of draft day permutations.

birdweiserrr (1/27/2008)
bigduke633 (1/27/2008)
farbinkle (1/27/2008)
as i have posted before barber would be a great complement to norwood

what a vicious backfield!

Dont you mean norwood would complement barber?Norood has 3 tds in his career.I have seen barber score 2 or 3 in a game.Norwood is a 3rd downback and return man.

That is funny. :laugh:

Funny how?