SLEEPER WATCH - Josh Johnson

jonahfalcon

Sleeper Watch: Josh Johnson

post info

By bbroman

Welcome to the first edition of Sleeper Watch. It should be easy enough to figure out what I ll do in sleeper watch: break down sleeper prospects. For those that for some reason don t know, a sleeper is a prospect that lies under the radar but has top talent. They usually acquire this status due to inferior competition or injuries.

My first sleeper is none other than the man who appears to be the sleeper king this year - Josh Johnson. Johnson is the QB for the previously unheard of University of San Diego Toreros. USD has few scholarship players, and they went 9-2 this year. There are two pro prospects on the Toreros - Johnson and DE Eric Bakhtiari. Johnson reminds quite a lot of Dennis Dixon, with very quick feet and an arm that regularly displays great touch. He s even rated above Dixon in quite a few people s charts. Since earning the Torero s starting job in 2005, he s averaged 3188 yards/year through the air. This year he garnered 7.2 ypc, earning 726 yards on 101 carries, showing his foot speed. His TD:INT ration this past year was incredible - 43:1. You read that right. 43:1. Just incredible. He had a passer rating through the roof, too - 198.3!

Enough with stats. Johnson is a guy who might ve been switched to WR, ala Matt Jones, Antwaan Randle El, Brad Smith, etc. But the way he plays and the stats he had throwing the ball, you can t move him to wideout. He s not a stereotypical athletic quarterback, USD WR coach Steve Mooshagain said. He s a quarterback first& He s a true quarterback; he really understands the game and is like a coach on field. His biggest strength is his athleticism, easily. He can escape pressure and elude defenders with ease - at least at a D-II level. His arm is accurate, and strong enough. He has a quick release and seems to progress through his routes. He usually makes quick, smart decisions.

Does this sound too good to be true? Maybe it is. After all, this is D-II ball we re talking about. His level of competition is really his only downside, other than minor character concerns (he was suspended for the first game of the season, due to breaking team rules). Keep an eye on him to see how he does in the East-West Shrine Games, which he was invited to. That s his best chance to show off his skills. With a solid combine showing, he could get up to late 3rd-early 4th round status, though teams may be a little gunshy - Tavaris Jackson was a similar experiment, and he turned awry.

In a Minute:

* Pros: Accurate, great touch. Good release, makes quick decisions that are usually the right ones. Great athleticism.

* Cons: Not exactly facing the top competition (D-II). Minor character concerns. Raw.

* Pro Comparison: Vince Young comes to mind, as does Jake Plummer and Brodie Croyle.

* Best Situation: Sitting behind a similar, aging QB that is willing to mentor him for a few years. Baltimore comes to mind, but Air McNair isn t exactly willing to teach young players.

* Drafted in Round: 4. Might reach 3, but with the way Tavares Jackson turned out, teams will be wary. No one can resist a good sleeper and a chance to be called genius on draft day, though.

* Pros: Accurate, great touch. Good release, makes quick decisions that are usually the right ones. Great athleticism.

* Cons: Not exactly facing the top competition (D-II). Minor character concerns. Raw.

* Pro Comparison: Vince Young comes to mind, as does Jake Plummer and Brodie Croyle.

* Best Situation: Sitting behind a similar, aging QB that is willing to mentor him for a few years. Baltimore comes to mind, but Air McNair isn t exactly willing to teach young players.

* Drafted in Round: 4. Might reach 3, but with the way Tavares Jackson turned out, teams will be wary. No one can resist a good sleeper and a chance to be called genius on draft day, though.

No thanks. We have enough of that problem already.

birdweiserrr Minor character concerns.

If only we could find players that are as perfect as you have been all your life.

Is God available to play QB for ther Falcons so BW can find something else to obsess about?

birdweiserrr (1/27/2008)

And you leaving, would fix most of that problem...

Hokies&Falcons (1/27/2008)
birdweiserrr (1/27/2008)

I told you years ago that I'm never leaving. You just choose to not believe it.

birdweiserrr (1/27/2008)
Hokies&Falcons (1/27/2008)
birdweiserrr (1/27/2008)

I told you years ago that I'm never leaving. You just choose to not believe it.

Not even 50 lifetime bans can get rid of you, yet the mods continue to allow you to troll these boards...

I know you aren't leaving, and it appears that the mods no longer care how many people you annoy on here...

You sit there questioning character. Well, I have to seriously question the character of a 30 plus year old man, who gets his rocks off by trolling message boards and ruining the enjoyment of the board for others...

UGA_DAWG46 (1/27/2008)
No to this pick.

If he get draft by us, I can see an Antawn Randle El type of role for him. Remember Randle El was a QB in college.

Randle El was not nearly as good a QB in college as Johnson is. they are not even from the same planet when it comes to ability behind center. try again.

Vicious (1/27/2008)
Other than Birdweiserrr's QB obsessions, he's much less annoying than all the Vick huggers.

are you suggesting that by wanting johnson one is a vick hugger? or are you merely making a random point in a random thread about a group of people that annoys you?

neko (1/27/2008)
Vicious (1/27/2008)
Other than Birdweiserrr's QB obsessions, he's much less annoying than all the Vick huggers.

are you suggesting that by wanting johnson one is a vick hugger? or are you merely making a random point in a random thread about a group of people that annoys you?

Nope. Not at all. I've watched Johnson play, and he's no Vick. If you have been around the board for years you would know what I'm talking about. Even the rants Bird sometimes get into are far less annoying than those who just won't let go of the fantasy that Vick will ever play for this team or any team in this league again.

Vicious (1/27/2008)
neko (1/27/2008)
Vicious (1/27/2008)

Nope. Not at all. I've watched Johnson play, and he's no Vick. If you have been around the board for years you would know what I'm talking about. Even the rants Bird sometimes get into are far less annoying than those who just won't let go of the fantasy that Vick will ever play for this team or any team in this league again.

i do know what youre talking about. i have seen bird commenting for quite some time, and i agree, he is much more tolerable than some others can be. i was just checking to see if you were taking a subtle shot at me. :cool:

there is no way vick is coming back and those who cannot grasp it are obviously only rooting of the team because of him.

johnson for QB. (not to fill a void, but because he is going to be great). :)

Hokies&Falcons

Not even 50 lifetime bans can get rid of you, yet the mods continue to allow you to troll these boards...

I know you aren't leaving, and it appears that the mods no longer care how many people you annoy on here...

You sit there questioning character. Well, I have to seriously question the character of a 30 plus year old man, who gets his rocks off by trolling message boards and ruining the enjoyment of the board for others...

What else do you expect from birdweisser?? The guy lives in the Warner Robins/Perry Ga area. If you have ever been down there, you will notice there isnt a **** thing to do at all but farming.

freakyfalcon (1/27/2008)

Hokies&Falcons

What else do you expect from birdweisser?? The guy lives in the Warner Robins/Perry Ga area. If you have ever been down there, you will notice there isnt a **** thing to do at all but farming.

Farming in WR? :laugh:

Maybe, but where?

neko (1/27/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (1/27/2008)
No to this pick.

If he get draft by us, I can see an Antawn Randle El type of role for him. Remember Randle El was a QB in college.

Randle El was not nearly as good a QB in college as Johnson is. they are not even from the same planet when it comes to ability behind center. try again.

Read my post again. I say he can be use in role like Randle El was use. So I wasn't comparing the two at the QB position. He will a bust in NFL if he stay at QB.

UGA_DAWG46 (1/27/2008)
neko (1/27/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (1/27/2008)
No to this pick.

Read my post again. I say he can be use in role like Randle El was use. So I wasn't comparing the two at the QB position. He will a bust in NFL if he stay at QB.

your last response doesnt make much sense. obviously i read your original post just fine because it sounded as though by comparing him to randle el you do not think much of johnson as a potential nfl qb. then you you say are not comparing them at the qb position, although you conclude by saying he will be a bust in the nfl if he stays at qb. ???????

i will just say that i disagree with your last comment, and i feel he will be quite successful at QB in the nfl, and is in no way someone that will need a position change from QB.

neko (1/27/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (1/27/2008)
neko (1/27/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (1/27/2008)
No to this pick.

your last response doesnt make much sense. obviously i read your original post just fine because it sounded as though by comparing him to randle el you do not think much of johnson as a potential nfl qb. then you you say are not comparing them at the qb position, although you conclude by saying he will be a bust in the nfl if he stays at qb. ???????

i will just say that i disagree with your last comment, and i feel he will be quite successful at QB in the nfl, and is in no way someone that will need a position change from QB.

Look, my point was. If we draft him, Marlarkey will likely move him to WR. He can be in the same role Randle EL was. How is that comparing to Randle El was?

UGA_DAWG46 (1/27/2008)
neko (1/27/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (1/27/2008)
neko (1/27/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (1/27/2008)
No to this pick.

Look, my point was. If we draft him, Marlarkey will likely move him to WR. He can be in the same role Randle EL was. How is that comparing to Randle El was?

i hear your point, and i disagree. you dont draft someone with qb skills like johnson's and move them to wide receiver. youre thinking of malarkey, not mularkey. big difference.