What should Falcons do at QB?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer to take a QB later... I'm not yet sold on Matt Ryan, and first round quarterbacks are such a crap-shoot. I really like Chad Henne and Joe Flacco. If we don't trade out of our first overall pick, I want a lineman - don't care which side of the ball. Jake Long is the most intriguing to me right now, but from what Matt, Al and J. Mike said of Sedrick Ellis at the Senior Bowl, he is going to be a beast at the next level.

I would look at a quarterback THIS year, because of how deep this class is. That way this quarterback should be ready to get some significant action in 2009, when the Mularkey system has had a year to gel and we acquire more offensive linemen that fit the system.

Any way you slice it, I'm looking forward to the injection of youth and finding the new face or faces of our franchise.

Moderator (1/27/2008)
I would prefer to take a QB later... I'm not yet sold on Matt Ryan, and first round quarterbacks are such a crap-shoot. I really like Chad Henne and Joe Flacco. If we don't trade out of our first overall pick, I want a lineman - don't care which side of the ball. Jake Long is the most intriguing to me right now, but from what Matt, Al and J. Mike said of Sedrick Ellis at the Senior Bowl, he is going to be a beast at the next level.

I would look at a quarterback THIS year, because of how deep this class is. That way this quarterback should be ready to get some significant action in 2009, when the Mularkey system has had a year to gel and we acquire more offensive linemen that fit the system.

Any way you slice it, I'm looking forward to the injection of youth and finding the new face or faces of our franchise.

Well I agree with a lot of that Mod but I believe this QB draft is very weak. There's a drop off after Ryan but there are some interesting prospects as well, like Flacco. I also like Ainge and Henne. But again, these seem to be "projects" or "long shots" to become the face of a franchise.

birdweiserrr (1/27/2008)
Mort just said Ryan may go #1 to Miami.

After watching the seinor bowl, Ainge was the only one that looked worth a ****. Brennan, I will be surprised if hes gets drafted, he does suck. And Woodson is the new leftwich, too freaking slow. Henne and booty was alright. no way i would take Ryan, one he doesn't want to be here 2. we have greater needs then him. And waiting to the 2nd round sounds alot better if we pick one up at all thru the draft this year, get one thru free-agency. Till the next draft ;)

Only- the-truth (1/27/2008)
What should they do?

1. Pray Vick gets into that drug program along with that 15%

2. Then if that happens...pray that Goodell lets Vick in with no hassle

If none of this works....START ALL THE WAY OVER and build from the trenches......and start by drafting JAKE LONG.

Vick will never play for the Falcons again, but you already know that. So lets try to be realistic.

I hear ya, Birdweisser - but I'll say this... So many folks said the following quarterbacks were on the "south" side of the "drop-off" QB curve in the draft:

Tom Brady, Marc Bulger, Matt Schaub, David Garrard, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Garcia, Derek Anderson, Tony Romo.

That said, you can surely name so many examples of top 10 QB picks who are succeeding (both Mannings, Rivers, Young, Palmer, etc.).

I think it's going to come down to whether our personnel department identifies those requisite intangibles (and, obviously, most of the "tangibles") in this crop of second-tier late day-one, early day-two quarterbacks.

One thing's for sure - it's going to be an interesting April!

Moderator (1/27/2008)
I hear ya, Birdweisser - but I'll say this... So many folks said the following quarterbacks were on the "south" side of the "drop-off" QB curve in the draft:

Tom Brady, Marc Bulger, Matt Schaub, David Garrard, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Garcia,Derek Anderson, Tony Romo.

That said, you can surely name so many examples of top 10 QB picks who are succeeding (both Mannings, Rivers, Young, Palmer, etc.).

I think it's going to come down to whether our personnel department identifies those requisite intangibles (and, obviously, most of the "tangibles") in this crop of second-tier late day-one, early day-two quarterbacks.

One thing's for sure- it's going to be an interesting April!

You're right. There's always a hidden talent. I don't think Schaub belongs in your list though. ;) Many said he'd be a 1st rounder if not for the shoulder injury his last (Sr?) year of college.

I abgree with the mod. I think we have to build for the future with a young QB and it makes little sense to wait for a year before doing so.

I will be disappointed if we don't take a QB on day 1 of this year's draft. I have a feeling that we will take a QB in round 2. I'm not convicned that any of this year's QBs will be good value at #3-#5 and can see us taking a lineman, but if we do decide to take a Qb in the first round I wouldn't be totally against it.

nolebone (1/27/2008)
pzummo....

OK, we're on the same page. Plus, he worships the devil. He went to UF.

The only way I would trade our 1st round draft pick would be if it was for Quinn. Don't think that will happen though.

Are you serious or am I the only one missing the joke here? You would give a top 5 1st round pick for an unproven QB who couldn't win his own starting job. Oh, and he wasn't even drafted in the 1st 20 picks last year. If not for the Browns reaching, Quinn would have seen the second round.

No thank you!

birdweiserrr (1/27/2008)

"If [Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan] McNabb is available, I would aggressively consider all options to bring him in. But the reality is, there are few sure solutions at the position via the draft or free agency, and the Falcons will likely have to look to begin developing a passer in the middle rounds, as Tim Ruskell did with Matt Schaub several years ago. There may not be a good long-term fix this year."

Um did nobody else catch where this guy says Tim Ruskell Drafted Matt Schaub!....Gimme a break if your gonna write something in an article atleast make it fact. Rich Mckay drafted Matt Schaub how some of these writers are successful blows my mind!

hamiltonfalconsfan7 (1/27/2008)
birdweiserrr (1/27/2008)

"If [Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan] McNabb is available, I would aggressively consider all options to bring him in. But the reality is, there are few sure solutions at the position via the draft or free agency, and the Falcons will likely have to look to begin developing a passer in the middle rounds, as Tim Ruskell did with Matt Schaub several years ago. There may not be a good long-term fix this year."

Um did nobody else catch where this guy says Tim Ruskell Drafted Matt Schaub!....Gimme a break if your gonna write something in an article atleast make it fact. Rich Mckay drafted Matt Schaub how some of these writers are successful blows my mind!

Correct me if I'm wrong but Ruskell was the asst GM in 2004, the year Schaub was drafted. Ironically, the draft has gone to ##### since he left.

BRUCE FELDMAN, ESPN The Magazine

"I'd try and find a proven or decent free-agent QB. Drafting one high in the first round is such a crapshoot. Half of the NFL's current starting QBs weren't first-rounders. Look at [Jacksonville's] David Garrard, [st. Louis'] Marc Bulger and, of course, [New England's] Tom Brady. And even if that guy blossoms, it takes three to four years. The Falcons have so many other needs to address first. Rebuild a defense with more certain prospects."

only voice of reason. these other writers could give a rats azz about long range implications and the road to benig just good or the road to being ok or the slowpath to the top and greatness.

Build the lines first

Correct me if I'm wrong but Ruskell was the asst GM in 2004, the year Schaub was drafted. Ironically, the draft has gone to ##### since he left.

It doesnt matter if he was assisstant Mckay was the one who drafted him and i dont know why people knock mckay so much he drafted some good tlent for us. His problem was free agency. Mckay has drafted us some great late round talent with Norwood, Boley, Schaub, L.Robinson, D-Mo, Trey Lewis, Stone, Irons, Snelling, Nichlous. In the first 2 rounds he hasnt been that bad either he got us D.Hall, Roddy, Houston, Blaylock, and although he had a bad rookie campaign dont give up on Jamal. The kid was starting in the trenches as a rookie thats a hard thing to do. He did very well against the run and had many near sacks so trust me next year alot of the bashers on this board will be singing to a different tune.

hamiltonfalconsfan7 (1/27/2008)

It doesnt matter if he was assisstant Mckay was the one who drafted him and i dont know why people knock mckay so much he drafted some good tlent for us. His problem was free agency. Mckay has drafted us some great late round talent with Norwood, Boley, Schaub, L.Robinson, D-Mo, Trey Lewis, Stone, Irons, Snelling, Nichlous. In the first 2 rounds he hasnt been that bad either he got us D.Hall, Roddy, Houston, Blaylock, and although he had a bad rookie campaign dont give up on Jamal. The kid was starting in the trenches as a rookie thats a hard thing to do. He did very well against the run and had many near sacks so trust me next year alot of the bashers on this board will be singing to a different tune.

yeah i havnt understood the hate on mckays drafts, I think its not bad

and cant wait to see the talent blossum

ajohson1050, you're right on target! the interior offensive and defensive line is vital. our offense is the weakest link so i look for our new gm to target the best linemans in the draft. (1st rd) ot-jake long or dt-glenn dorsey or dt-sedrick ellis (2nd rd) rb-rashard mendenhall(2nd rd) ot-jeff otah (3rd) qb-john david booty or qb-josh johnson (4th rd) dt-trevor laws (5th rd) rb-mike hart (6th rd) wr-dexter jackson (7th rd) k-brandon coutu.