In Defense of Arthur Blank

Superfan !

If there's a fine line between love and hate, then there's also one between success and failure.

I struck out on my own and started a small sign business about the same time King Arthur purchased the Falcons. I had worked in the sign business for many years and considered myself well versed when I built my own shop and hung out a shingle in '02. Little did I know that I still had much to learn, especially about running a business. I lost nice jobs that I over-priced, and lost my azz on other jobs that I under-priced. I purchased equipment that I didn't need and then couldn't afford equipment that I needed badly. Dealing with employees got to be such a pain that I fired them all, only to realize that the pain of it all was just a part of being an employer. See the correlation yet?

I hung in there for years with the wolf at the door, determined to make it work. I can say now that the worm has turned and I own and run a successful small business and the mistakes I made along the way were just stepping stones to get where I wanted to be. I still make mistakes. That's because I'm human.

King Arthur has made plenty of mistakes as an owner of an NFL franchise. You know why? Not because he's stupid or clueless, but because he's human. If you have never made some serious mistakes in your life, I'm gonna tell you that you never actually were born, haven't lived long enough or you ain't trying to live, one or the other, take your pick.

I have faith and belief that the worm is starting to turn now for Mr. Blank and the Atlanta Falcons. Why? Because Arthur Blank, despite all of the money that he has worked for and makes, is just exactly like you and me. He makes mistakes and he learns from them. He wants to do better and he ain't gonna quit until he gets what he wants,...a championship and a Lombardi trophy for the city of Atlanta. Keep the faith, Falcons fans. If I can do it, so can Artie!:laugh::P

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post.

Blank has made some mistakes , but as an owner there is only so much that he can do. He is repsonsible for hiring the GM and has significant input in to the selection of the head coach, but hiring in to these positions is not an exact science, and there is afine line between success and failure.

Blank brough in an experienced GM (McKay) with a proven track record, who was considered at the time by many to be the best in the NFL. Jim Mora actually won more games than he lost whilst here and got to the NFCCG before getting himself fired with his stupid UW comments, and even the now hated Petrino hire made a lot of sense at the time given that we were desparate to build an offenisve staff that could finally get Vick to realise his potential. Getting the chance to work with Vick was the major attraction that brought Petrino here, and nobody in their right mind could have predicted what would happen to Vick or the knock of effect on Pertrino.

People should actually give Blank some credit for providing the team with new state of the art training facilities, renovating the dome (and seemingly now looking at the idea of a new stadium), and being willing to spend large amounts of money to succeed (we had the largest payroll in the NFL in 2006) at a franchise which is in the bottom 5 of the NFL in terms of generating revenue, whilst keep ticket prices at or below the league average. Some of Blank's decisons haven't worked out, but he cearly wants to succeed and make this in to a great franchise and his actions show it.

People accuse Blank of interfering too much, but in reality there isn't a single piece of credible evidence out that Blank has been telling the GM Coaches what do in free agency, who to draft, what schemes to run, which players to cut, or which players should see the field every Sunday.

No one is an expert when they first begin any endeavor.

I, like you, SuperFan have run a family owned business for over 30 years. Yes it takes time to learn how to be successful, Mr Blank has come a long way in learning the business of professional football and I am going to stick with him because I honestly believe he will build us a contender.

You know, I am very thankful for those customers of mine that stuck with me through all of the lean times. Those are the people that understood that effort counted for something and could look around and see that things were improving.

Congrats to you on sticking with your dream by the way. It's good to see the spirit of free enterprise is still alive.

Thank you Superfan. Very well said. We all go to centers of higher learning and come out thinking we have it all figured out. We come out smarter and better prepared, but we are not finished products. Until we get slapped around by experience, we don't really have a hold on reality.

Your experience has been a phenomenal teacher, only because you are a willing learner.

Congrats on your business and continued success.

BTW, where is your business? If it is anywhere near Fort Lauderdale, I can throw some work your way.

If King Arthur has learned from his mistakes, why did he hire a coach with no NFL head-coaching experience, and pass up on a proven franchise changer like Schottenheimer? I think it's his biggest blunder yet!

Blank & McKay are driving this team into the ground. Take another look at the GM press conference, Dimitroff was a puppet on a string!

Superfan "! (1/27/2008)
If I can do it, so can Artie!:laugh::P

Do you have Rich McKay in your ear?

Explain to me the wisdom of the 9 person interview circus.

Super Fan I really like and respect you, but this is beyond growing pains, it's down right embarrassing! :blush:

Coddling failure around here and these questionable status quo moves have got to stop.

May as well start here if ever at all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again :

Arthur Blank is " tripping over his own deep pockets and falling flat on his ego... "

And noone but the man he see's in the mirror every morning can do anything about it.

It starts with him, and it stops with him. Vick was his cushion against the failure we see.

I'm not really negative about anything! However... I am passionate about the things I Luv!

And I luv the Falcons enough, as do many others, to have the courage to speak up when the thing I Luv is being treated questionably.

Right or wrong I can respect the courage to speak up over :pinch: Blind loyalty :satisfied:

sniffmyfinger (1/27/2008)
If King Arthur has learned from his mistakes, why did he hire a coach with no NFL head-coaching experience, and pass up on a proven franchise changer like Schottenheimer? I think it's his biggest blunder yet!

Blank & McKay are driving this team into the ground. Take another look at the GM press conference, Dimitroff was a puppet on a string!

Or maybe the fact that Mike Smith wasn't even on Dimitroff's list of people he wanted to interview....he just met Mike Smith......but for real...it was his choice!! yep.....Smith was HIS choice. ;)

Then clearly, since you have no say in any of the football operations of the Atlanta Falcons, you should do the following:

1) If you are a season ticket holder, don't renew.

2) If you are not a season ticket holder, don't purchase any game tickets.

3) If someone gives you tickets, throw them away.

4) Don't watch the Falcon games on television.

5) Don't purchase anything Falcon related (jerseys, T-shirts, footballs, etc.)

The above is the only "power" a fan has and will ever have, otherwise, all you are doing is whining and moaning.

tom Baldwin (1/27/2008)
Blank is to running the falcons organization.

as

a monkey making love to a football.

a greasy, slick, slippery football.

Oh, I get what you're trying to say....kind of like you posting an intelligent thought-provoking message?

Probbaly because schottenheimer didn't want to come here and/or that Mr Blank wanted a long-term hire rather than bringing in a 64 year old retread with a .278 winning % in the playoffs.

If we'd brough in an experienced Head Coach people would probably have complained that were bringing a coach who had already tried and failed elswhere...

Just because Arthur Blank interrupted the PC twice to elaborate on answers given by TD?

ukfalc (1/27/2008)
Just because Arthur Blank interrupted the PC twice to elaborate on answers given by TD?

I haven't spoken on this until now, but I noticed during the press conference someone asked Dimitroff who his preference for HC was at the time, and Dimitroff looking around confused and yelled out Mr, Blank! :ermm: As if he needed help with that one.

Blank remained silent on it and Dimitroff somehow shrugged it off.

I'm not trying to make something outta nothing but hey... It was what is.

Nice post Supes.

I heard a great comparison on the radio yesterday of Auther Blank and the Falcons and Ted Turner and the Braves. The Braves, too were the laughing stock of the league before Ted found Schurholtz and Cox. Let us only hope Dimitroff and Smith can be that tandem for us for years to come.

Smashmouth (1/27/2008)
Superfan "! (1/27/2008)
If I can do it, so can Artie!:laugh::P

Do you have Rich McKay in your ear?

Explain to me the wisdom of the 9 person interview circus.

Super Fan I really like and respect you, but this is beyond growing pains, it's down right embarrassing! :blush:

Coddling failure around here and these questionable status quo moves have got to stop.

May as well start here if ever at all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again :

Arthur Blank is " tripping over his own deep pockets and falling flat on his ego... "

And noone but the man he see's in the mirror every morning can do anything about it.

It starts with him, and it stops with him. Vick was his cushion against the failure we see.

I'm not really negative about anything! However... I am passionate about the things I Luv!

And I luv the Falcons enough, as do many others, to have the courage to speak up when the thing I Luv is being treated questionably.

Right or wrong I can respect the courage to speak up over :pinch: Blind loyalty :satisfied:

Would you like to trade places with the Redskins or Raiders fanbase? Both of their owners are idiots and won't, not can't, recognize a good coach when they have them.

Sure Blank put his trust in BP. He gave him the keys. He gave the keys to Mora but was ##### on by Mora.

But he wants to build this franchise not just roll the dice on a 1 year wonder. Build a contender. He will and everyone will be kissing his ##### on the great job he has done.

BayouFalFan (1/27/2008)
Would you like to trade places with the Redskins or Raiders fanbase? Both of their owners are idiots and won't, not can't, recognize a good coach when they have them.

I fail to see the difference between them and Blank...

Perhaps other than the prevailing concensus being the Falcons are recognized league wide as worst off then those teams. So what's your point??

Sure Blank put his trust in BP. He gave him the keys. He gave the keys to Mora but was ##### on by Mora.

He put his trust in McKay. Until that BLUNDER is removed expect mora of the same.

But he wants to build this franchise not just roll the dice on a 1 year wonder.

Build a contender. He will and everyone will be kissing his ##### on the great job he has done.

Yeah and people in **** want ice water so what's your point??

You can kiss what ever of his you want. That's your choice.

As for me...

They'll have to earn my support with continued success over time from here on out.

Until then... " They are who we thought they were " :crazy:

I fail to see the difference between them and Blank...

Perhaps other than the prevailing concensus being the Falcons are recognized league wide as being worst off then those teams. So what's your point??

Wow... Davies is a senile holdover from the 70's and early 80's whose concept of building a team is to build using rejects and castoffs from other teams. The guy also voluntarily changes coaches every 1-2 years, because he insists on having total control over all personnel issues.

As for Snyder, he is not much different from Davies, changing coaches every 1-2 years . He also has this ridiculous idea that you can build a team by trading away draft picks and signing 2-3 elite FA's every year. Snyder's approach has consistently failed, and 2 wild card playoff spots in the last 10 years is proof of that.

As for Blank, his only mistakes have been hiring 2 head coaches that didn't workout and a GM who overestimated how god this team was in 2004 and took the team in the wrong direction for 2 years. One of those coaches got himself run out of town by expressing the desire to coach elsewhere, and the other walked out on the team against Blanks wishes following the Vick mess. It is ludicuous to blame Blank for Vick's criminal behaviour, what happened with Vick and the knock on effect with Petrino - none of which could reasonably have been predicted by anyone.

They'll have to earn my support with continued success over time from here on out.

Being a fan is about sticking by the team through the bad times. That doesn't mean having to blindly endorse every decision that is made; we are all entitled to our own views, but anyone who is a true fan will still wants these move to work out and the team to succeed. Any sensible and intellignet people will also have the decency to give the new regime the opportunity to prove themselves. Neither of these things are apparent from any of your recent posts.

Superfan "! (1/27/2008)
If there's a fine line between love and hate, then there's also one between success and failure.

I struck out on my own and started a small sign business about the same time King Arthur purchased the Falcons. I had worked in the sign business for many years and considered myself well versed when I built my own shop and hung out a shingle in '02. Little did I know that I still had much to learn, especially about running a business. I lost nice jobs that I over-priced, and lost my azz on other jobs that I under-priced. I purchased equipment that I didn't need and then couldn't afford equipment that I needed badly. Dealing with employees got to be such a pain that I fired them all, only to realize that the pain of it all was just a part of being an employer. See the correlation yet?

I hung in there for years with the wolf at the door, determined to make it work. I can say now that the worm has turned and I own and run a successful small business and the mistakes I made along the way were just stepping stones to get where I wanted to be. I still make mistakes. That's because I'm human.

King Arthur has made plenty of mistakes as an owner of an NFL franchise. You know why? Not because he's stupid or clueless, but because he's human. If you have never made some serious mistakes in your life, I'm gonna tell you that you never actually were born, haven't lived long enough or you ain't trying to live, one or the other, take your pick.

I have faith and belief that the worm is starting to turn now for Mr. Blank and the Atlanta Falcons. Why? Because Arthur Blank, despite all of the money that he has worked for and makes, is just exactly like you and me. He makes mistakes and he learns from them. He wants to do better and he ain't gonna quit until he gets what he wants,...a championship and a Lombardi trophy for the city of Atlanta. Keep the faith, Falcons fans. If I can do it, so can Artie!:laugh::P

i dont get the worm part