I'm so happy

Tandy Gossett

I don't like the WR coach or the OC ... but this allows me to over look that ...

Biography

Ray "Sugar Bear" Hamilton was named the Falcons' defensive line coach on January 26, 2008.

Hamilton spent the last five seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars as the defensive line coach under Smith. He guided the likes of defensive tackles Marcus Stroud and John Henderson who anchored a Jaguars defense that ranked second in the NFL in 2006 and fifth against the rush in the AFC last season. Stroud has started in three Pro Bowls while Henderson earned the honor in 2004 and 2006.

From 2001-2002, Hamilton was the defensive line coach for Cleveland as the Browns tied for fourth in the AFC with 43 sacks in his first season. Hamilton served his second stint with the New York Jets in 2000 after spending three seasons with the New England Patriots as the defensive line coach. In 1998, the Patriots defensive line tallied 25 of the team s 36 sacks, which was the seventh-best total in the NFL.

He was the defensive line coach for the New York Jets (1995-1996) where he developed defensive end Hugh Douglas who earned 1995 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Honors. From 1993-1994 he was the defensive line coach for the Los Angeles Raiders where he guided a defensive front that combined for 83 sacks in his two seasons. Hamilton spent one season at the University of Tennessee (1992) following a campaign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1991. He started his coaching career in the NFL in 1985 and spent five seasons with the New England Patriots as an assistant defensive line coach. He helped the Patriots to their first AFC Championship title and a Super Bowl XX appearance in his first season.

Hamilton also played in the NFL for nine seasons with the Patriots, where his teammates, fans and the media affectionately referred to him as "Sugar Bear."

the outlaw (1/27/2008)
Lets see what he can do with Anderson

yea that will be important but it sounds more like he can do good things with DT's.

He will surely help Anderson, but i think with most DE's it just takes experience and Jamaal came out really raw as a junior last year with limited exp as a DE. He will need time before he becomes good.

I think Hamilton can do a good job with Trey Lewis and lets see if he can make a starter out of Babs; rod coleman doesnt have much left in the tank.

I'm feeling REAL Good about our D right now with the hire of Hamilton as D-line coach. I wasn't sure what to think when they named VanGorder as DC. But he was in a unique position to understand the strengths of the LBs, & those playing in front & behind relative to what they were being asked to do this past season. I didn't know what allegiance he would have to the other D coaches of '07.

The move to go with an experienced D-line coach seems to follow well with Smith's stated goals of wanting to stop the run. & Jacksonville has been know to be able to do that well. Bigger yet for me was the move away from Patrino's D-line coaching pick; a college coach he brought with him from Louisville with no real prior background with D-line. Sure he, Zimmer, & Patrino were supposed to be tactitians, but I questioned if they weren't being too intellectual at times with the youth & experience we had in the D-line this past year. With Hamilton in we have an established D-line coach & defensive HC. With VanGorder with get one of our more successful position coaches with the best position to know the strengths of the players we had from '07.

I am additionally excited by the 2 Jacksonvile hires from defense. Not that most would know, Jacksonville was one of the teams most interested in Trey Lewis out of college. Once of their scouts were even back at Washburn looking at another player & talking about how successful he thought Trey would be in the NFL. I feel both Smith & Hamilton as a result would be aware of Trey & what he has the potential to do at this level. ...yes, being from Trey's home town... call me a Trey homer. :)

Either way, I'm excited about the potential of the D this coming year. I can't wait to see our off season moves & draft picks on the D.

Tandy Gossett (1/27/2008)
I don't like the WR coach or the OC ... but this allows me to over look that ...

Biography

Ray "Sugar Bear" Hamilton was named the Falcons' defensive line coach on January 26, 2008.

Hamilton spent the last five seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars as the defensive line coach under Smith. He guided the likes of defensive tackles Marcus Stroud and John Henderson who anchored a Jaguars defense that ranked second in the NFL in 2006 and fifth against the rush in the AFC last season. Stroud has started in three Pro Bowls while Henderson earned the honor in 2004 and 2006.

From 2001-2002, Hamilton was the defensive line coach for Cleveland as the Browns tied for fourth in the AFC with 43 sacks in his first season. Hamilton served his second stint with the New York Jets in 2000 after spending three seasons with the New England Patriots as the defensive line coach. In 1998, the Patriots defensive line tallied 25 of the team s 36 sacks, which was the seventh-best total in the NFL.

He was the defensive line coach for the New York Jets (1995-1996) where he developed defensive end Hugh Douglas who earned 1995 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Honors. From 1993-1994 he was the defensive line coach for the Los Angeles Raiders where he guided a defensive front that combined for 83 sacks in his two seasons. Hamilton spent one season at the University of Tennessee (1992) following a campaign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1991. He started his coaching career in the NFL in 1985 and spent five seasons with the New England Patriots as an assistant defensive line coach. He helped the Patriots to their first AFC Championship title and a Super Bowl XX appearance in his first season.

Hamilton also played in the NFL for nine seasons with the Patriots, where his teammates, fans and the media affectionately referred to him as "Sugar Bear.

Who's he ????????