Alan Faneca will sign with Seattle. Atlanta loses out again.

monson007

monson007 (1/27/2008)
Just read that the Seahawks will pursue Faneca relentlessly since they lost their best guard to Minnesota two years ago. They will place him next to Walter Jones to help improve their running game.

I read that too......but I must of missed the separate article that said Faneca had already agreed to terms and was heading to Seattle.

Please forward me that article so I can read it - thanks!

mbrizzle (1/27/2008)
Atlanta drafted a LG early this past year. I dont think this was a need, and it probably wasnt even a want for Atlanta.

So in summation, who gives a #####?

apparently mbrizzle you did not watch our other guard play this year - his name is Kynan Forney and he is the worst OG in the league.....

...um, yeah we definitely could use a talent like Faneca.

mbrizzle (1/27/2008)
Atlanta drafted a LG early this past year. I dont think this was a need, and it probably wasnt even a want for Atlanta.

What? You don't think we needed nor wanted a better offensive line? You must not have seen the oline in Atlanta for any of the past 5 years. That's by far the biggest need. We need four more now.

Plus, I was under the impression Faneca was a center. So to quote you, who gives a ##### about what we did at LG last year when we need a good center this year?

Faneca is a great player. But he would have cost unreal money to come here. And he is 31 years old. Not old by human standards, but as a lineman, he is on the down side of his career. He's the sort of player you sign when you are that one player away. We, however, are MANY players away from being a team that will compete.

rcwalters (1/27/2008)
What? You don't think we needed nor wanted a better offensive line? You must not have seen the oline in Atlanta for any of the past 5 years. That's by far the biggest need. We need four more now.

Plus, I was under the impression Faneca was a center. So to quote you, who gives a ##### about what we did at LG last year when we need a good center this year?

Alan Faneca is definitely not a center.

He is a 7 time Pro Bowl LG, though.

herr doktor (1/27/2008)
Faneca is a great player. But he would have cost unreal money to come here. And he is 31 years old. Not old by human standards, but as a lineman, he is on the down side of his career. He's the sort of player you sign when you are that one player away. We, however, are MANY players away from being a team that will compete.

Agreed. It would be foolish to overpay and build around a 31 year old lineman when our team is clearly 2-3 years away frombeing any sort of contended.

Build for the medium-long term, around younger players...

not a high likelihood of Falcons signing Faneca anyway. He is into the twilight years of his career and he will demand a huge salary. We are trying to get younger and we don't have a ton of cap room to sign high dollar free agents and all of our draft picks.

We do not need him. Blaylock did well for a rookie and will continue to improve. As far as RG, I think Clabo will do well there. And RT shouldn't be much of a problem either if we move Foster over there if he comes back from his injury well enough. Even if Foster isn't healthy enough to start the season Weiner is an adequate answer at RT for the time being. Our main priorities should be a LT and a C.

We need a vet lineman. He will help Blaylock's development.

Not to mention that the Seahawks screwed up and payed for Shaun Alexander. No way they can afford Faneca,

2007 $ 959,200 $ 99,567,188

2006 $ 692,500 $ 107,449,932

But the Falcons have,

2007 $ 632,180 $ 83,845,371

2006 $ 600,000 $ 105,072,221

If we simply hold on to Vick and let the suspension ride out, we won't have anything to pay until 2010, most likely.

Even the Arizona Cardinals won't have that much space,

2007 $ 771,765 $ 98,694,817

2006 $ 710,000 $ 105,685,931

chipster10 (1/27/2008)
mbrizzle (1/27/2008)

And, um I'll agree on this....

And I'll bump this one too! I'm tired of coming here and reading some of these dumb posts that are very misleading because the poster can't comprehend the facts of what they read--but instead, state what they THINK the article is saying. Reading is fundamental!!

Guest Libid21

I don't know if sining Faneca is the smartest thing to do with our OL. If we sign him, we're probably going to have to move Blalock to right guard and keep Faneca at his natural position at left guard. He is only around 305 lbs., so he's not a typical power run blocker.

g-dawg (1/27/2008)
mbrizzle (1/27/2008)

apparently mbrizzle you did not watch our other guard play this year - his name is Kynan Forney and he is the worst OG in the league.....

I absolutely agree...Forney has got to go.

g-dawg (1/27/2008)
mbrizzle (1/27/2008)

Forney is the worst OG in the league? LOL Exagerate much?

In fact, a few years ago, Forney was regarded as one of the BEST OG's in the league. Hopefully he returns to form after the **** of last season.