Applying the Mularkey spin

falconchef

Okay, by now we've all read Mularkey's bio on AF.com and read how some posters are using that to convince themselves this was a great hire. Let's revamp this, shall we.....

Today Team X hired longtime Offensive Coordinator Greg Knapp. Coach X says, "We're really excited to have this guy; he's well known and respected around the league as a top offensive mind."

In Knapp's first season as Offensive Coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons, he took them to the NFC Championship game. Knapp's innovative playcalling is credited to the fact that the Falcons ranked first in the league in rushing for all three years of his tenure there, despite the fact that ATL had poor pass protection and a quarterback that was sometimes ineffective throwing the ball. Despite teams knowing the Falcons had to run, Knapp's offense still posted first in the league in rushing three straight years. Even though his running back was an aging Warrick Dunn, under Knapp's tutelage Dunn still went to the Pro Bowl in 2005 (2004? I can't remember, but the actual year is beside the point, it's the spin I'm trying to get across). Blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda, we're all happy to get him.

WOW!! We should get this guy, RIGHT!!?? Look at what he did with the mediocre talent around him!! Or do we all know better!!??

I truly hope the spin for Mularkey is warranted, I really want the Falcons to succeed. But let's not take the AF.com bio and turn Mularkey into some coaching superstar.

ATLBrave12 (1/26/2008)
Actually, if you did your homework, a lot of people credited our offensive success in '04 to Alex Gibbs and his ZBS. That scheme, along with Vick, were the reasons we led the league in rushing for 3 straight years.

I KNOW THAT!! YOU KNOW THAT!! It's the spin that writers put on things! You don't actually think I BELIEVE that Knapp was responsible for all that, do you!!?? I've only written an article that contained skewed facts. Not to be disrespectful, but you missed the point ENTIRELY.

falconchef (1/26/2008)
ATLBrave12 (1/26/2008)
Actually, if you did your homework, a lot of people credited our offensive success in '04 to Alex Gibbs and his ZBS. That scheme, along with Vick, were the reasons we led the league in rushing for 3 straight years.

I KNOW THAT!! YOU KNOW THAT!! It's the spin that writers put on things! You don't actually think I BELIEVE that Knapp was responsible for all that, do you!!?? I've only written an article that contained skewed facts. Not to be disrespectful, but you missed the point ENTIRELY.

I didn't miss your point at all. You were applying the positives people are saying about Mularkey to Knapp. The only point you are missing with people's happiness on this hire is that Mularkey has literally had squat in terms of personnel for most of his career. None of the facts that people like jidady were using are skewed in the least bit.

ATLBrave12 (1/26/2008)
falconchef (1/26/2008)
ATLBrave12 (1/26/2008)

I didn't miss your point at all. You were applying the positives people are saying about Mularkey to Knapp. The only point you are missing with people's happiness on this hire is that Mularkey has literally had squat in terms of personnel for most of his career. None of the facts that people like jidady were using are skewed in the least bit.

Drew Bledsoe is a Super Bowl qb, not "squat". The Steelers defense, who consistently stopped teams and gave the ball back to the offense to score those points, was not "squat". In fact, the only time he had "squat",(Miami) they performed like it, and he was demoted.

PS I'm enjoying this conversation a lot, but I have to go meet a client. I'll be back later. Peace! (BTW, although I'm still not happy with the hire, all this positive energy is making me feel better about it!)

falconchef (1/26/2008)
ATLBrave12 (1/26/2008)
falconchef (1/26/2008)
ATLBrave12 (1/26/2008)

Drew Bledsoe is a Super Bowl qb, not "squat". The Steelers defense, who consistently stopped teams and gave the ball back to the offense to score those points, was not "squat". In fact, the only time he had "squat",(Miami) they performed like it, and he was demoted.

Drew Bledsoe was in the twilight of his career when he played for Buffalo. As for the Steeler defense..how does that even apply to his work? The players still need to execute on offense to capitalize on defensive stops. As for him being demoted in Miami, I don't know how many times people will have to say this before you get it through your thick-##### skull. He got demoted because he was from a previous staff, and working for a guy that calls his own plays. If you want to judge people on being demoted, then how do Hue Jackson and Zimmer look right now? They were only here one year before being let go, but they are far from "horrible".

ATLBrave12 (1/26/2008)
falconchef (1/26/2008)
ATLBrave12 (1/26/2008)
falconchef (1/26/2008)
ATLBrave12 (1/26/2008)

Drew Bledsoe was in the twilight of his career when he played for Buffalo. As for the Steeler defense..how does that even apply to his work? The players still need to execute on offense to capitalize on defensive stops. As for him being demoted in Miami, I don't know how many times people will have to say this before you get it through your thick-##### skull. He got demoted because he was from a previous staff, and working for a guy that calls his own plays. If you want to judge people on being demoted, then how do Hue Jackson and Zimmer look right now? They were only here one year before being let go, but they are far from "horrible".

And now come the insults, the sign that I'm not talking to an adult. Suddenly I'm not enjoying what I thought was a good back-and-forth football discussion. Good day to you.

falconchef (1/26/2008)
ATLBrave12 (1/26/2008)
falconchef (1/26/2008)
ATLBrave12 (1/26/2008)
falconchef (1/26/2008)
ATLBrave12 (1/26/2008)

And now come the insults, the sign that I'm not talking to an adult. Suddenly I'm not enjoying what I thought was a good back-and-forth football discussion. Good day to you.

Oh no, an insult! :angry: You just keep spewing out the same trash over and over about his tenure in Miami, saying he was demoted, but not looking at the real reasons why. I just find it funny that you say others are skewing facts when you do it yourself.