I just want to get a quick shot of what this board thinks about the hires.

nolebone

I like all of the hires. I wanted TD to start with. I think that Smith and VanGorder are on the same page on defensive philosophy, and Mularkey fits well with the most succesful football strategy in the NFL -- Pound the ball up the middle, and play great defense.

nolebone (1/26/2008)

Vomit

vomit

I do not see one ounce of strong leadership on this coaching staff. Not one of these guys impresses me when it comes to that catergory.

When in tough times people need strong leadership. I just don't see it.

DC = puppet...I don't like puppets...period. I also don't like anything that reminds me of the last regime. Sorry, but he's left over garbage. IMO

Take the emotion out and all are solid hires. I think the philosophy of physical, smash mouth style of football is becoming clear. This team will go through a difficult transition. I am looking forward to seeing what they do with FA and trades before the draft. This could be a fun off season.

ballfan (1/26/2008)
Take the emotion out and all are solid hires. I think the philosophy of physical, smash mouth style of football is becoming clear. This team will go through a difficult transition. I am looking forward to seeing what they do with FA and trades before the draft. This could be a fun off season.

That's what I'm saying. Good solid hires, with NFL experience.

We need stability first and foremost.

GM - Like the hire. A very good personnel man, who can focus exclusively on personnel with McKay handling the administrative side.

HC - Like the hire. I like Smith's philosophy of physical football and dominating the lines of scrimmage. It sounds like he strikes a good balance between being communicating and relating well to the player, but knows when to be firm.

OC - I like the hire. Part of me would like to have seen Jackson retained, but I really like Mularkey's philosophy, which clearly meshes with Smith's. I also like the fact that he is a little unconventional and will radically adjust his schemes to suit the personnel (which is a breath of fresh air from Mora/Knapp and Reeves). I also like the fact that he's an experinced coach, who has held a HC job at this level.

DC - I'm not sold on this yet. I can help thinking that we should have retained Mike Zimmer, (maybe they didn't want too many Mikes on the same coaching staff!). My main concern is that Van Gorder hasn't held a DC position before so in some respects he is a complete unknown. We do however have a defensive minded HC overseeing things, so hopefully VG will be fine.

SoCalFalconFan (1/26/2008)
nolebone (1/26/2008)

Vomit

vomit

Ok, you've piqued my interest. Why don't you like the Van Gorder hire?

I don't like the Van Gorder hire from the players' standpoint. This is a man who was hired as a positional coach by a guy whom they now all hate. Instead of moving on from that whole scene, Van Gorder gets promoted, and now the players have to take orders from him. I assure you, every time they see Van Gorder, they will be reminded of Quitrino. Bad hire strictly from the locker room's perspective.

I like the GM hire. I'm completely unsure of him. I think he's the riskiest hire Blank has made since buying the Falcons.

I like the HC hire. Yes. I like this hire a great deal. I think he's as qualified as any we interviewed, if not more. He seems like a smart guy. And I love his affinity for personel.

I like the DC hire. I like this one. He might be flakey, and proned to taking off. But if he takes off next year, guess what, we'll have a new D Coord. It's not like a HC leaving. Infact, good DCoords usually leave and go HC somewhere anyways. But I think he's definately a quality Defensive mind.

I like the OC hire. I cant crap on this one. He's a qualified candidate, with alot of experience. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but I dont dislike the hire.

I think the GM hire is a good one.

The head coach hire caught me off guard but its a good choice so long as you don't listen to Marcus Wiley.

The DC is another surprise. I think Zimmer was a good choice but...

The OC is a decent hire..

I have a hard time with these questions because in all honesty (that should get me slammed) I thought Petrino was a good hire. Little did I know. I do think, as much as I hate to say it, we need to have some people who have not been at the top so to speak to coach the team. Changes are happening fast and that excites me but because of last season I am afraid to be excited.