Falcons ponder college QB prospects-PER AJC

nativefalcon

Falcons ponder college QB prospects

Position among top priorities as team begins draft meetings next week

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/27/08

The Falcons, who will select third, fourth or fifth in the NFL draft, start their draft meetings on Feb. 6 and will heavily scrutinize this year's quarterback class.

The Falcons' scouts were among the more interested parties at this week's Senior Bowl looking over Kentucky's Andre Woodson, Southern Cal's John David Booty, Hawaii's Colt Brennan, Delaware's Joe Flacco, Tennessee's Erik Ainge and Michigan's Chad Henne. Louisville's Brian Brohm pulled out after he found out that Boston College's Matt Ryan wasn't playing, opening room for Ainge.

The Falcons must consider if Ryan, Brohm or Woodson are worth a top-three pick or if there's enough depth at the position to find an eventual starter later in the draft.

Booty is one candidate worthy of consideration because he's run a pro-styled offense. Southern California coach Pete Carroll believes Booty can successfully follow USC Heisman trophy winners Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart into the NFL.

"He was running the same offense and had really the same kind of success over the years," Carroll said. "He won a lot of games for us. He's been able to make all of the throws that those guys could make."

Early in the week of Senior Bowl practices, none of the quarterbacks really stood out as they were learning the offense and adjusting to new receivers.

"You can't even evaluate [booty] for the middle fives games of the year," Carroll said of Booty who broke a finger on his throwing hand. "I think it probably disrupted people's thought about John David making a big charge to be one of the best quarterbacks in the country. He played great at the beginning and he played great at the end when he was healthy."

Carroll took part of the blame for Booty's woes.

"I made the mistake of playing him too long with it and bringing him back early probably from it as well," Carroll said.

Here's a look at the Senior Bowl quarterbacks:

North

" Booty: Came back strong after a shaky start to his week of practice.

"He puts a nice touch on the ball," said Oakland offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, who ran the North offense.

Booty believes he's fully recovered from the broken finger.

"I'm just trying to show that I can make the throws that they are looking for," Booty said. "They are giving me the opportunity to make all of the throws."

" Henne: Was the most vocal of the quarterbacks and showed leadership.

Henne was asked to list his strengths and said, "My arm strength. The way I learn. I know coverages. I can read defensive fronts."

His stock is rising after a great showing in a Capitol One Bowl victory over Florida.

" Flacco, Delaware: Transferred out of Pittsburgh when his lost the starting job to Tyler Palko.

"It was a great move," Flacco said. "It was kind of rough the first year, but we came back and made it to the championship game last season."

Flacco played in a shotgun offense and had trouble taking snaps for under center at the Senior Bowl. But his strong passing arm is intriguing.

"In practice (last Wednesday) in fact he had a real quick one down the field on the sideline that was very impressive," Knapp said.

Flacco is working out with former New York Giants quarterback Scott Brunner.

South

" Woodson: Was interviewed by the Falcons at the Senior Bowl.

"I thought it went great," said Woodson, the highest rated quarterback to play in the Senior Bowl. "I decided to just come on out here," Woodson said. "It's an opportunity to compete, get better and get coached by NFL coaches."

Woodson's elongated delivery was troubling for some scouts.

" Ainge: Also was interviewed by the Falcons, who questioned him about his family background, football knowledge, his personality and composure.

Had a strong senior season for the Volunteers. Broke Peyton Manning's school single-season record for most completions with 325 and finished with 8,700 passing yards.

" Brennan: He's likely not going to measure the 6-foot-3, 190 pounds that he was listed. Some contend he's a shade over 6-foot and needs to bulk up.

His side arm delivery is a concern for NFL teams. Brennan, who was tortured by Georgia's defense in the Sugar Bowl, suffered a hip pointer on the first day of practice and that limited his mobility.

"It seems like I'm stumbling a bit out there, but I'm just trying to work through it," Brennan said.

Brennan wanted to put the Sugar Bowl in his rear view mirror.

"Obviously it would have been nice to have a great game in the Sugar Bowl, but I think this is the one that will really determine how pro coaches and scouts look at me," Brennan said.

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/...sider_0127.html

sorry if already posted. :(

they looked at woodson and ainge. hmmmm. ;)

consistentfalcon (1/26/2008)
nativefalcon (1/26/2008)
makes you wonder if were going to use the 1st fo a QB? sounds like it. :(

gotta have a marketing tool to draw the fans to the games, win, lose or draw.

imo fix the oline defense 1st

i agree totally, high priced rookie QB cant do nothing except get shell-shocked if hes on his back all the time. ;)

I think they are just checking all angles. They need to make sure that if they decide to pass on a QB in the 1st round it is b/c they believe there is someone they can get later in the draft that will be as good or better. Because they are talking with Ainge, and looking at Booty and Brennan I would say it is not so clear of them picking a QB with the top 5 pick. I think they will wait until the 2nd round.

Thanks for the article. I dont think we need to worry about the Falcons drafting a QB in the first unless they trade way down. This draft seems deep and comparative skills wise for QBs.

They could get Ainge, Brennan, Henne, Booty, and Flacco in either the 2nd or 3rd round. I'm most interested in Henne and Booty now.

nativefalcon (1/26/2008)

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Falcons, who will select third, fourth or fifth in the NFL draft, start their draft meetings on Feb. 6 and will heavily scrutinize this year's quarterback class.

The Falcons' scouts were among the more interested parties at this week's Senior Bowl looking over Kentucky's Andre Woodson, Southern Cal's John David Booty, Hawaii's Colt Brennan, Delaware's Joe Flacco, Tennessee's Erik Ainge and Michigan's Chad Henne. Louisville's Brian Brohm pulled out after he found out that Boston College's Matt Ryan wasn't playing, opening room for Ainge.

The Falcons must consider if Ryan, Brohm or Woodson are worth a top-three pick or if there's enough depth at the position to find an eventual starter later in the draft.

Booty is one candidate worthy of consideration because he's run a pro-styled offense. Southern California coach Pete Carroll believes Booty can successfully follow USC Heisman trophy winners Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart into the NFL.

"He was running the same offense and had really the same kind of success over the years," Carroll said. "He won a lot of games for us. He's been able to make all of the throws that those guys could make."

Early in the week of Senior Bowl practices, none of the quarterbacks really stood out as they were learning the offense and adjusting to new receivers.

"You can't even evaluate [booty] for the middle fives games of the year," Carroll said of Booty who broke a finger on his throwing hand. "I think it probably disrupted people's thought about John David making a big charge to be one of the best quarterbacks in the country. He played great at the beginning and he played great at the end when he was healthy."

"I made the mistake of playing him too long with it and bringing him back early probably from it as well," Carroll said.

North

"He puts a nice touch on the ball," said Oakland offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, who ran the North offense.

"I'm just trying to show that I can make the throws that they are looking for," Booty said. "They are giving me the opportunity to make all of the throws."

Henne was asked to list his strengths and said, "My arm strength. The way I learn. I know coverages. I can read defensive fronts."

His stock is rising after a great showing in a Capitol One Bowl victory over Florida.

" Flacco, Delaware: Transferred out of Pittsburgh when his lost the starting job to Tyler Palko.

"It was a great move," Flacco said. "It was kind of rough the first year, but we came back and made it to the championship game last season."

Flacco played in a shotgun offense and had trouble taking snaps for under center at the Senior Bowl. But his strong passing arm is intriguing.

"In practice (last Wednesday) in fact he had a real quick one down the field on the sideline that was very impressive," Knapp said.

South

"I thought it went great," said Woodson, the highest rated quarterback to play in the Senior Bowl. "I decided to just come on out here," Woodson said. "It's an opportunity to compete, get better and get coached by NFL coaches."

" Ainge: Also was interviewed by the Falcons, who questioned him about his family background, football knowledge, his personality and composure.

Had a strong senior season for the Volunteers. Broke Peyton Manning's school single-season record for most completions with 325 and finished with 8,700 passing yards.

" Brennan: He's likely not going to measure the 6-foot-3, 190 pounds that he was listed. Some contend he's a shade over 6-foot and needs to bulk up.

His side arm delivery is a concern for NFL teams. Brennan, who was tortured by Georgia's defense in the Sugar Bowl, suffered a hip pointer on the first day of practice and that limited his mobility.

"It seems like I'm stumbling a bit out there, but I'm just trying to work through it," Brennan said.

"Obviously it would have been nice to have a great game in the Sugar Bowl, but I think this is the one that will really determine how pro coaches and scouts look at me," Brennan said.

I say we get JDB in the second round. I've always been a fan of his and I don't think he's projected first round (I may be wrong.) But please, NO first round qb selection. FIX OL OR DL.

The_ ATL (1/26/2008)
Thanks for the article. I dont think we need to worry about the Falcons drafting a QB in the first unless they trade way down. This draft seems deep and comparative skills wise for QBs.

They could get Ainge, Brennan, Henne, Booty, and Flacco in either the 2nd or 3rd round. I'm most interested in Henne and Booty now.

Henne is the guy I want.

Falcon4Life (1/26/2008)
nativefalcon (1/26/2008)

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

North

South

I say we get JDB in the second round. I've always been a fan of his and I don't think he's projected first round (I may be wrong.) But please, NO first round qb selection. FIX OL OR DL.

JMO, I think JDB is gonna be a bust.

We do have to get a QB at some point you know...

These projections of Dennis Dixon and other players in the 3rd and 4th and 5th rounds are not going to fix the QB situtation. We're going to have about 5 picks in the first three rounds (most likely), and a very good LT is going to fall to us in round 2. I can't say the same for a QB (except maybe Brennan).

Look at the playoff teams from this year, and tell me how many of them have a below-average starter at QB.

snicker (1/26/2008)
Henne in the 2nd round. his performance in the bowl game was impressive

Agree......

1st OT

2nd(a) QB

2nd(B) RB

of course alot of this depends on how th cards fall. O-line and DLine should be priorities and if we can trade down in the first and pick up 2 another 1st and 2 additioanal picks I would do it.

AJC where is your LINK????

Total BS conjecture on the author of the article and taking liberties with journalism at it's highest.

"The Falcons, who will select third, fourth or fifth in the NFL draft, start their draft meetings on Feb. 6 and will heavily scrutinize this year's quarterback class."

The Falcons' scouts were among the more interested parties at this week's Senior Bowl looking over ....."

Give me a break. It is as bad as any of us on this board trying to convince each other that we know what is going on. You would have to be a total ##### NFL team not to look at QB's every year. I imagine the Canadian League has guys there looking at qb's they will never draft.

texasbirdfan (1/26/2008)

NO. Where is their link to the Front Office or Scouting Department? NONE.

story MADE-UP.

So they can't have their falcon insiders? Thought that was part of being a reporter? :P

nativefalcon (1/26/2008)
texasbirdfan (1/26/2008)

NO. Where is their link to the Front Office or Scouting Department? NONE.

story MADE-UP.

So they can't have their falcon insiders? Thought that was part of being a reporter? :P

yea right. read it closely- no mention of sources just flatly states the parallel between our early pick and watching qb's on a practice field. Being an ex-sports writer, I know that this is as good as the story book I will read to my kindergarten daughter at bedtime tonight.

If we draft a QB with our first pick, it ill be one of our biggest mistakes in the draft. We don't have a line so putting an inexperienced QB behind a line would ruin the young guy. If we end up with the #3 pick we should go after D. McFadden and if he is not available, then we should trade down for more picks. We can pick up a QB in the later rounds much like we did with Shaub. This is the problem with our FO, they listen to the media too much and only look at the result of our main problem instead of looking at the problem itself. We don't have a good passing game because we don't have a good OL that can hold blocks and we don't have a decen running game that we can run play action with.