Just say NO to Jake Long

red2play

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/sports/f...html?ref=sports

Defensive end Chris Long, Ferguson s former teammate at Virginia, declined an invitation, as did the top prospects Glenn Dorsey, a defensive lineman from Louisiana State, and Jake Long, a Michigan offensive tackle. Quarterbacks Matt Ryan (Boston College) and Brian Brohm (Louisville) backed out after initially agreeing to attend. The 55 juniors who have entered the draft are ineligible for the game.

****, just say no to Dorsey as well. Those who are afraid don't belong in a Falcons uniform.

Sedrick Ellis, or McFadden or trade down and get jonathon Stewart, GOSDER CHERILUS, etc.

WE NEED COMPETITORS, not scared puppies.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many players who are projected to be top picks in the 1st round choose to skip the senior bowl and even the combine. I don't think it says anything about their competitiveness... they just cannot gain anything by participating... they're already guaranteed millionaires in the making.

This being said... the fact that Sedrick Ellis is there because he wants to prove himself against the best prospects in this class really says a lot about him to me. I can't really take anything away from top prospects who choose not to participate... but those who do participate and further validate their status really impress me. Ellis is the kind of player we need on this team.

I've never been big on Jake Long anyways. He isn't horrible or anything... he's a very very solid tackle... but I pretty much totally disagree with his value as a top 5 pick in the draft. He's good, but he's not THAT good. Top 5 OT's have to be flat out ridiculous studs of nature or you just end up with a Robert Gallery or Mike Williams instead of an Orlando Pace or even a Walter Jones at #6.

This is a ridiculous thread. These players have absolutely nothing to gain by going and if they were to get hurt then the may fall. It would not be smart at all to go. This is just how top players act every year and it is also how they should act. If they weren't competitive then they wouldn't be top 7 picks. I care much more what they've proved on the field anyway.

Carter (1/26/2008)
Many players who are projected to be top picks in the 1st round choose to skip the senior bowl and even the combine. I don't think it says anything about their competitiveness... they just cannot gain anything by participating... they're already guaranteed millionaires in the making.

This being said... the fact that Sedrick Ellis is there because he wants to prove himself against the best prospects in this class really says a lot about him to me. I can't really take anything away from top prospects who choose not to participate... but those who do participate and further validate their status really impress me. Ellis is the kind of player we need on this team.

I've never been big on Jake Long anyways. He isn't horrible or anything... he's a very very solid tackle... but I pretty much totally disagree with his value as a top 5 pick in the draft. He's good, but he's not THAT good. Top 5 OT's have to be flat out ridiculous studs of nature or you just end up with a Robert Gallery or Mike Williams instead of an Orlando Pace or even a Walter Jones at #6.

people laughed at me when i said the same thing about jake long ( i went so far as saying that he was no better than foster) I have allso asked the question about what was so dominating about dorsey, i think hes good but not dominant.

itsslomotionbaby (1/27/2008)
Carter (1/26/2008)

people laughed at me when i said the same thing about jake long ( i went so far as saying that he was no better than foster) I have allso asked the question about what was so dominating about dorsey, i think hes good but not dominant.

:laugh:

halsey (1/28/2008)
What a dumb thread. You fantasy fans will come up with any reason you can to put down the non glamour players. All you care about are WR's and RB's. Your adolescent logic doesn't work on people who actually understand football.

Well, considering he mentioned Ellis and Cherilus...

Richard Nixon (1/28/2008)
I would say no to Jake Long, anyway, but not playing the Senior Bowl is not a big deal, it's just an extra game for guys that want to raise their stock and play one last college game.

What do you have against Long? Dude is a great, not good, great OT. He gave up like one sack this year, to someone who will also be a Top 10 pick likely. He's the guy you would want on your team.

Vargil (1/28/2008)
I would say no to Jake Long, anyway, but not playing the Senior Bowl is not a big deal, it's just an extra game for guys that want to raise their stock and play one last college game.

What do you have against Long? Dude is a great, not good, great OT. He gave up like one sack this year, to someone who will also be a Top 10 pick likely. He's the guy you would want on your team.

There have been doubts about how he can handle speedy outside rushers. There will be a definite difference in the level of these DEs in the NFL and those in college.

Vargil (1/28/2008)

He's overrated and will be a guard in three years just like Robert Gallery, who was rated higher. Both looked bad against speed rushers and gave up numerous pressures, not even to guys that will play in the NFL, just guys with good edge speed against OSU, Illinois, and Wisconsin, especially OSU. Chris Williams is a much better LT prospect, Long is a good prospect only someone intends to start him on the right side.

.leon (1/28/2008)
Vargil (1/28/2008)

There have been doubts about how he can handle speedy outside rushers. There will be a definite difference in the level of these DEs in the NFL and those in college.

I guess the question is who is doubting him? The guy has been as consistent as possible, has great footwork from what I understand. Just seems to be that pillar at left tackle that is a franchise guy.

Vargil (1/28/2008)
.leon (1/28/2008)
Vargil (1/28/2008)

I guess the question is who is doubting him? The guy has been as consistent as possible, has great footwork from what I understand. Just seems to be that pillar at left tackle that is a franchise guy.

He has weak footwork.

halsey (1/28/2008)
What a dumb thread. You fantasy fans will come up with any reason you can to put down the non glamour players. All you care about are WR's and RB's. Your adolescent logic doesn't work on people who actually understand football.

Its that Madden football mentality that has damaged the mind of some these young fans today. Its sickening.

freakyfalcon (1/28/2008)
halsey (1/28/2008)

Its that Madden football mentality that has damaged the mind of some these young fans today. Its sickening.

Yeah, we should look at Oakland's success now that they have drafted Robert Gallery. He plays guard now, but as a whole Oakland's offense has really taken off since taking Gallery.:w00t:

freakyfalcon (1/28/2008)
halsey (1/28/2008)

What I always note about comments like this is that the people making them are oftentimes nowhere to be seen during the college football season when people here are having detailed discussions of player performances.

Why wouldn't I spend a top 5 pick on Jake Long? Because of Kirk DeCremer. People who were frequenting the draft board during the season know who that is, but nobody else would. And you certainly won't see it/him mentioned on any draft sites.

jidady (1/28/2008)
freakyfalcon (1/28/2008)
halsey (1/28/2008)

What I always note about comments like this is that the people making them are oftentimes nowhere to be seen during the college football season when people here are having detailed discussions of player performances.

Why wouldn't I spend a top 5 pick on Jake Long? Because of Kirk DeCremer. People who were frequenting the draft board during the season know who that is, but nobody else would. And you certainly won't see it/him mentioned on any draft sites.

Isn't that the kid on Wisconsin who was giving Long fits?

halsey (1/28/2008)

im still waiting for you to tell me why jake longs problems with speed rushers have no impact on his ability to play LT.

ATLBrave12 (1/28/2008)
jidady (1/28/2008)
freakyfalcon (1/28/2008)
halsey (1/28/2008)

Isn't that the kid on Wisconsin who was giving Long fits?

ding ding ding ding...

heck, i might go look for that kid and see where he is projected, but as far as i know he is not even a senior, i thought he was a junior.

in any event, not exactly top talent, or even top 3 rounds talent.

Mr. Offseason (1/28/2008)
halsey (1/28/2008)

im still waiting for you to tell me why jake longs problems with speed rushers have no impact on his ability to play LT.

well since he has given up a grand total of 1 sack and 1 penalty in 423 pass plays i would say his supposed problem with speed rushers is drastically over blown. that is unless he has only faced 1 seed rusher for 1 play his entire career.