Mortenson on 680 said that Van Gorder got offered Smittys old position

nativefalcon

The Cush (1/25/2008)
freakyfalcon (1/25/2008)
Thats surprising that Del Rio would give Van Gorder the position over Ryan Hamilton. For those that dont know, Hamilton is the DL coach for the Jags.
Says a lot about Van Gorder...

It does say a lot, if you saw the way UGA defense played in 2000-2004 you would understand. Atlantas defense if we get the right players, will be quite aggresive. BLITZ, BLITZ, BLITZ, and I like that. ;)

nativefalcon (1/25/2008)
The Cush (1/25/2008)
freakyfalcon (1/25/2008)
Thats surprising that Del Rio would give Van Gorder the position over Ryan Hamilton. For those that dont know, Hamilton is the DL coach for the Jags.
Says a lot about Van Gorder...

It does say a lot, if you saw the way UGA defense played in 2000-2004 you would understand. Atlantas defense if we get the right players, will be quite aggresive. BLITZ, BLITZ, BLITZ, and I like that. ;)

Oh yea I know what he did at UGA. Im a huge Dawgs fan but its still surprising since he didnt have much of a tenure there in J'ville.

We should cut Van Gordor some slack on leaving. He was basicly out of a job with Petrino leaving and need future employment. I think him being offered the Jaxs DC job but still came back here shows he really loved it here. Van Gordor is a **** of a DC and linebacker coach. I went to some training camp practices and it was impressive watching him coach the linebackers. He is a good teacher.

bigduke633 (1/25/2008)
Nobody wants good news.The more I hear about van gorder comeing back the better it sounds.Van gorders family is here and he has roots.I dont get all the negativity around here.

Because its not a big name or someone who is getting the annual knob slob from the media. For instance, I bet majority of people on here never heard of Spagnuolo until the Giants were in the playoffs and ESPN jumped on his jock.

freakyfalcon (1/25/2008)
bigduke633 (1/25/2008)
Nobody wants good news.The more I hear about van gorder comeing back the better it sounds.Van gorders family is here and he has roots.I dont get all the negativity around here.

Because its not a big name or someone who is getting the annual knob slob from the media. For instance, I bet majority of people on here never heard of Spagnuolo until the Giants were in the playoffs and ESPN jumped on his jock.

I really hadn't, but you noticed his defense. And the first couple of games of the giants they weren't good. Only reason why they caught up on the sack count was that 12 sack day. But if you asked me who Steve Spagnolo was mid-season, I definatly would have said "WHO". ESPN is a STAR MAKER. :P

That is a good sign when the previous employer wanted to keep him and promote him. There are a lot of concerns about VanGorder obviously but I think he's a better coach then a lot of people are making out to be. I think if he's successful with this job he'll keep it ofr a while. Getting a promotion over and NFL coordinator near his home is not likely to come along any time soon.