Woodson

Big Duke 6

Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky: Woodson's arm strength was not questioned, but his terrible accuracy and pass placement has scouts concerned. His receivers were constantly slowing up in routes or reaching back to grab errant passes. He was considered a potential first-round choice prior to the Senior Bowl, but is now likely to fall out of the initial two frames.

bigduke633 (1/25/2008)
Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky: Woodson's arm strength was not questioned, but his terrible accuracy and pass placement has scouts concerned. His receivers were constantly slowing up in routes or reaching back to grab errant passes. He was considered a potential first-round choice prior to the Senior Bowl, but is now likely to fall out of the initial two frames.

i heard that he was staying in the first. i dont like his delayed release though.

Dirtybird (1/25/2008)
go to ESPN.com under senior bowl. they blame Mike Martz or why Woodson hasan't looked so good. hnag on let me find a link.

I have to post it BC its insider article.....

MOBILE, Ala. -- All three South team quarterbacks have struggled during Senior Bowl week, and none more than Kentucky's Andre' Woodson, a former first-round prospect whose draft stock is free-falling right now. Woodson certainly deserves much of the blame for his own struggles but according to two different scouts we've spoken to this week new 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz is a big part of the problem as well.

Martz has apparently attempted to mold Woodson, Hawaii's Colt Brennan (Hawaii) and Tennessee's Erik Ainge into proper fits for his system in only a four-day period. In doing so, Martz has tinkered with their footwork on drops and timing as passers.

Martz's system, which features many deep timing routes, emphasizes delivery quickness and accuracy when throwing blindly to a spot from its quarterbacks, while de-emphasizing the velocity of throws. For example, a typical comeback route runs 18 yards back to 15 yards, with the quarterback throwing to a spot one or two yards in front of the receivers' break.

Martz, on the other hand, likes 22-yard comebacks routes with the quarterback releasing the ball four yards in front of the receivers' break. No one can question the effectiveness of his system in the NFL, but it is a system that definitely takes more than four days of practice to master.

While none of the three quarterbacks have adjusted well given such a short period of time, the system suits Brennan and Ainge far better than it does Woodson. Like the many pro quarterbacks to have success in Martz's scheme at the next level -- such as Kurt Warner, Mark Bulger and Jon Kitna -- Brennan and Ainge have relatively quick releases and are used to delivering the ball to a spot in order to mask their lack of ideal arm strength. Woodson, meanwhile, has a slower delivery but is often able to make up for that by getting outstanding zip on his throws.

In an attempt to adjust to Martz's system, Woodson is focusing on speeding up his drop and getting the ball out of his hands quicker, but doing so with less velocity on his throws. As a result, the hitch in Woodson's delivery looks even more pronounced and his accuracy is suffering. Essentially, Martz has unintentionally highlighted Woodson's weaknesses while masking his strengths.

This by no means excuse all of Woodson's accuracy issues this week, but it does help explain why Woodson has not been the same quarterback here in Mobile that we saw on film throughout his career at Kentucky. He has to bounce back and regain his confidence in time to put on strong showings at the combine and during individual workouts.

bigduke633 (1/25/2008)
NineOhTheRino (1/25/2008)
was that pic of the former 1st lady photoshopped?

I got it in a email.It was a joke email but there were a couple of pictures in it.Looks legit to me.:)

its actual picture. She had just found out what is...is! That Bill was talking about.

Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii: Brennan had a lot to gain this week but in the end fell short. His poor arm strength is troubling, as it gave defensive backs more than enough time to break up his passes. Scouts feel there is a place for Brennan as a backup signal-caller in a timing offense, yet most agree he presently grades as a mid-to-late round draft pick.

They really hammered brennan in the same article.

bigduke633 (1/25/2008)
Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii: Brennan had a lot to gain this week but in the end fell short. His poor arm strength is troubling, as it gave defensive backs more than enough time to break up his passes. Scouts feel there is a place for Brennan as a backup signal-caller in a timing offense, yet most agree he presently grades as a mid-to-late round draft pick.

They really hammered brennan in the same article.

brennan is really small, doesnt have the strongest arm, and has a lot of work to do on his drop step.

Hokies&Falcons (1/25/2008)
I am really surprised about Woodson. Out of all the potential 1st round QB's, he impressed me the most this past season. He played very well against very tough competition. He may be one of those guys who doesn't practice well...?

He impressed you more than brohm?

bigduke633 (1/25/2008)
I am really surprised about Woodson. Out of all the potential 1st round QB's, he impressed me the most this past season. He played very well against very tough competition. He may be one of those guys who doesn't practice well...?

He impressed you more than brohm?

Without a doubt. I've never been impressed by Brohm...

falconfootball (1/25/2008)
Henne was gettin' some good press on NFL Network the other night. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I think they were saying he is very very accurate, but not as much arm strength as some of the others.

Henne will end up having the best career of all of the high profile qb's in this years draft, I think. He can play well at the next level IMO.

bigduke633 (1/25/2008)
How could you not be impressed by brohm?I guess we agree to disagree.Brohm reminds me of a accurate woodson.Brohm is actually more mobile to.

I wasn't sure about him coming into the 2007 season. I watched him, hoping that he would prove me wrong. He's actually hurt his stock in my view...

It's just my own personal opinion and evaluation. I've just never been all that impressed with the guy. I wasn't impressed with Ryan either. I think they have talent and some solid tools, they just don't blow me away...

The guys who interest me are Flacco, Dixon, Josh Johnson and Henne. I think one of them will be just as good, if not better than Ryan, Brohm and Woodson...

bigduke633 (1/25/2008)
How could you not be impressed by brohm?I guess we agree to disagree.Brohm reminds me of a accurate woodson.Brohm is actually more mobile to.

I wasn't sure about him coming into the 2007 season. I watched him, hoping that he would prove me wrong. He's actually hurt his stock in my view...

It's just my own personal opinion and evaluation. I've just never been all that impressed with the guy. I wasn't impressed with Ryan either...

The guys who interest me are Flacco, Dixon, Josh Johnson and Henne...

They all impress me.I look at them differently as far as where they might go in the draft or what they do best etc.Ryan impressed me in the virginia tech game whe he smoked them in the 4th quarter.Remember that one?Henne looked good against florida.I dont know much about flacco.Brohm looked very good all year but his defense blew.

bigduke633 (1/25/2008)
bigduke633 (1/25/2008)

It's just my own personal opinion and evaluation. I've just never been all that impressed with the guy. I wasn't impressed with Ryan either...

The guys who interest me are Flacco, Dixon, Josh Johnson and Henne...

They all impress me.I look at them differently as far as where they might go in the draft or what they do best etc.Ryan impressed me in the virginia tech game whe he smoked them in the 4th quarter.Remember that one?Henne looked good against florida.I dont know much about flacco.Brohm looked very good all year but his defense blew.

Ryan didn't impress me in either game against Virginia Tech. We went into a very soft zone/prevent defense toward the end of the game, and that is when he started playing well. He didn't really do anything other than that last 4 minutes...

Ryan and Brohm certainly have the physical tools to become good QB's. When it comes to any QB, much will have to be developed between the ears...