Using TD and CMS comments, combined with my opinions and hundreds of opinions I have read on this message. This is how I think we will handle the draft.

southga08

I am not picking specific players, but rather at this point strategy.

To me the most important needs on this team (in no particular order):

- QB: Redman will handle the duties until someone better comes alone. Get somebody in the draft this year to at least see what they can do.

- RB: Norwood can't do it all. We need a power RB. Get in the draft.

- LT: Find in draft. Gandy is done. Foster is a solid backup.

- RG: Forney is finished. Find a starter for this position in free agency.

- DT : 3 technique DT, this depends on Coleman's future, but I am assuming the worst. Supplement with draft and free agency.

- MLB: Brooking is hanging on by shoethreads. He is not much more than a situational player these days. Great team leader though. Find another linebacker in the draft to challenge T. Taylor for the future of this job.

- FS: Need a ball hawk back here. Find a FS in free agency who can get the job done this year. Doesn't have to be a long term solution, but we have too many other needs in the draft this year. Maybe next year in the draft we can get a great safety.

- K: We need a kicker who can do it all (short and long field goals; and kickoffs). find one in the draft.

Round

1. Best available LT or RB

2. Best available LT or RB (get whatever not taken in round 1)

2. Best available QB (pick from Houston-Schaub trade)

3. Best available MLB

3. Best available DT (Comp pick from P. Kerney. Chance that this pick will be in the fourth round)

4. Best available K

5. Best available Olinemen

6. Best available DE

7. Best available DB

Big Free agent signings:

- Starting Right Guard

- Starting Free Safety

Free agent signings for depth:

- Defensive tackle

I don't want to spend more on free agency than this, because I want to save the money to give people like Boley contract extensions. Plus one of these days guys like Roddy White, Norwood, etc. will become free agents and we need to keep them around without getting in bad shape with the cap.

Build through the draft supplement through free agency.

southga08 (1/25/2008)

- QB: Redman will handle the duties until someone better comes alone. Get somebody in the draft this year to at least see what they can do.

- DT : 3 technique DT, this depends on Coleman's future, but I am assuming the worst. Supplement with draft and free agency.

- MLB: Brooking is hanging on by shoethreads. He is not much more than a situational player these days. Great team leader though. Find another linebacker in the draft to challenge T. Taylor for the future of this job.

- FS: Need a ball hawk back here. Find a FS in free agency who can get the job done this year. Doesn't have to be a long term solution, but we have too many other needs in the draft this year. Maybe next year in the draft we can get a great safety.

- K: We need a kicker who can do it all (short and long field goals; and kickoffs). find one in the draft.

Round

3. Best available MLB

3. Best available DT (Comp pick from P. Kerney. Chance that this pick will be in the fourth round)

4. Best available K

6. Best available DE

7. Best available DB

Big Free agent signings:

- Starting Right Guard

- Starting Free Safety

- Defensive tackle

I don't want to spend more on free agency than this, because I want to save the money to give people like Boley contract extensions. Plus one of these days guys like Roddy White, Norwood, etc. will become free agents and we need to keep them around without getting in bad shape with the cap.

Dude, I read all you guys who seem to make a lot of sense then: BANG, you put stupid things like draft a RB in the first or 2nd round. Gentlemen this has been declared by all experts as the deepest high talent draft for running backs in the history of professional football in North America. We don't need their short lived high risk careers with their high round salaries clogging our Cap. We have capable if not very good RBs now. What we need is a mother lode line haul initially to give any qb the time and create holes for the runners and another Dlineman to do the opposite to the opponents.

Now go fix your post.....

grendel (1/25/2008)
You don't just look at positions, you have to look at the players available. If you don't you're reaching too far for a talent that's not worth the pick.

wrong. That's why there has been so much up and down trading in recent drafts. The 'best available player' idea is DEAD. This is a youth oriented cap laden NFL now, not your uncles NFL.

texasbirdfan (1/25/2008)
grendel (1/25/2008)
You don't just look at positions, you have to look at the players available. If you don't you're reaching too far for a talent that's not worth the pick.

wrong. That's why there has been so much up and down trading in recent drafts. The 'best available player' idea is DEAD. This is a youth oriented cap laden NFL now, not your uncles NFL.

Wrong. You don't take an OT (Jake Long) that has serious question marks regarding whether or not he can even be a LT in the pros, over a guy like Sedrick Ellis that has no serious question marks.

I think that the common philosophy is to take the best player available at a position of at least some need. Under that idea, since Coleman is injury prone and we don't have much in the way of proven players after him, DT is a position of need and Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey are head and shoulders ahead of the other players who will likely be available at our pick.

Plus, we have a coach who values defensive linemen, especially tackles, very highly.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we picked one of those two guys. They're the closest things to certain in this draft.

Direwolf

direwolf (1/25/2008)
I think that the common philosophy is to take the best player available at a position of at least some need. Under that idea, since Coleman is injury prone and we don't have much in the way of proven players after him, DT is a position of need and Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey are head and shoulders ahead of the other players who will likely be available at our pick.

Plus, we have a coach who values defensive linemen, especially tackles, very highly.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we picked one of those two guys. They're the closest things to certain in this draft.

Direwolf

No it isn't not anymore. You trade up and down for need and supplement in FA.

direwolf (1/25/2008)

Direwolf

Well, just listen to the phrase that TD and MS said over and over and over.....

Our team philosophy is to "stop the run" on defense and be good "at the run" on offense

translation to 1st round pick (#3, 4 or 5)

Jake Long

Glen Dorsey

Sedrick Ellis

Darren McFadden

scott24falcs (1/25/2008)
texasbirdfan (1/25/2008)
grendel (1/25/2008)

Wrong. You don't take an OT (Jake Long) that has serious question marks regarding whether or not he can even be a LT in the pros, over a guy like Sedrick Ellis that has no serious question marks.

You trade up or down to get your guy if you have a target like that. That is the ideal. The problem comes in when no one will trade with you. That's why the good GM's earn their pay.

texasbirdfan (1/25/2008)
southga08 (1/25/2008)

Round

3. Best available MLB

4. Best available K

6. Best available DE

7. Best available DB

Big Free agent signings:

- Starting Right Guard

- Starting Free Safety

- Defensive tackle

Dude, I read all you guys who seem to make a lot of sense then: BANG, you put stupid things like draft a RB in the first or 2nd round. Gentlemen this has been declared by all experts as the deepest high talent draft for running backs in the history of professional football in North America. We don't need their short lived high risk careers with their high round salaries clogging our Cap. We have capable if not very good RBs now. What we need is a mother lode line haul initially to give any qb the time and create holes for the runners and another Dlineman to do the opposite to the opponents.

agreed. we can concentrate on Rb in the later Rds. but the o & d lines should be our main concern. Flacco will be available in the 2nd rd and he is going to be a steal. other then that im with TXbirdfan.

texasbirdfan (1/25/2008)
southga08 (1/25/2008)

If running the ball is that important to him then he will get a RB. Both Jacksonville and New England has taken a Running back in the first round in the last two years. And as I eluded to in the title of this thread, ' these are not just my opinions, but a combination of my opinions, with what TD and Mike Smith, along the opinions of the people I have read on this message board.' Besides Jonathan Smith or Mendenhall is going to be sitting there in the 2nd round and they would be a big upgrade over Dunn.

We only have 4 defensive linemen starting on defense. Abraham, Anderson, and Trey Lewis will be starting. So we don't need but one more tackle. If Coleman and Babineaux are back then the defensive tackle position is not as bad of a need as others. We add depth to this position in the middle rounds, and supplement depth through free agency. I would like a defensive tackle too in the first round if we had 6 first round picks, but we only have so much money in free agency and so many high draft picks. The amount of improvement we would see in this position is not as great as it would be in others.

Side Note:

I didn't want to get into any trades, because that makes things to complicated. I was just going off of a 'as is' basis.

texasbirdfan (1/25/2008)
southga08 (1/25/2008)

Round

3. Best available MLB

4. Best available K

6. Best available DE

7. Best available DB

Big Free agent signings:

- Starting Right Guard

- Starting Free Safety

- Defensive tackle

This is a very good point. Look at Kevin Faulk for New England. I actually heard today that he is the 2nd leading rusher in SEC history behind Walker.