Heavenly Sword

All I can say is.... wow!

I am at what i can only assume is the end of the game, but I must admit this game gave me alot more then I expected. The voice acting and the facial expressions are probably the best i've ever seen in a video game. To me, this game just about bridges the gap between games and movies.

Alot of people i have talked to have had problems with the length of the game. I really don't. I think the game is just as long as it should be. It doesn't drag on and to me at least it seemed like a good pace. And the heroine, Nariko, wow. Easily one of my new favorite video game characters. Ninja Theory really brought her to life, her emotions (and a wide variety at that), and expresions. For example, the events the surround her second encounter with one of the bosses, and those that have played the game will know what i'm talking about, that moment,... just wow.

And while we are on the bad guys, the bosses have personalities like i haven't seen since Metal Gear Solid. Really great touch. And you know how sometimes it just seems really cliche or cheesy when you have a bad guy that's evil for no real reason, well that's definently not the case here. They did a great job with Bohan.

The game isn't perfect. I had issues with the controls, and it's hard to describe but at times it felt Resident Evil 1 -ish. Also I kinda found Nariko rolling to the left when i was trying to make her walk forward quite a bit. And while there are alot of combos available to you, you never really need to learn any more then a few. Alot, and by this I mean nearly the whole game, is all about taking down a lot of enemies at once. This can get frustrating and redundant at times, but fortunantly there are usually breaks in the action to do something different at the right places. The times when you get to use "Aftertouch" which is where you can control projectiles with the Sixaxis function of the controller, one you get the hang of it, are very, very fun.

I rented this from gamefly, but i think I will keep it. This is one i want in my collection.

I would give this game a 9 out of 10, with the things holding it back from perfection are controls and some repetiveness.

Yea, i had the chance to watch my bro play it for a couple hours and visually its really impressive. I was a little unsure if it would be good or not since the sub-par reviews it got. But overall its a really smooth looking game, some of the actions can be a bit akward as well as the cut scenes but overall its better than what the reviews say.

tipp78 (1/28/2008)
Yea, i had the chance to watch my bro play it for a couple hours and visually its really impressive. I was a little unsure if it would be good or not since the sub-par reviews it got. But overall its a really smooth looking game, some of the actions can be a bit akward as well as the cut scenes but overall its better than what the reviews say.

yea some of the actions are really akward. and playing through it a second time i have noticed that alot of the timed button sequences are pretty annoying. you gotta have catlike reflexs to get it right the first time.