No Federer or Nadal in Australian Open Finals

Fanboy3000

It's official, the world is coming to an end. I though for sure Federer would yet again beat Nadal in the finals, only to lose to him in the French finals.

Is this a changing of the regime? Federer was beat by Novak Djokovic, a 20 year old who has reached the semis of the last 4 majors. Interesting to see if he will become a force in the world of tennis.

Fanboy3000 (1/25/2008)
It's official, the world is coming to an end. I though for sure Federer would yet again beat Nadal in the finals, only to lose to him in the French finals.

Is this a changing of the regime? Federer was beat by Novak Djokovic, a 20 year old who has reached the semis of the last 4 majors. Interesting to see if he will become a force in the world of tennis.

After the match when Federer was nearly beaten by Tipsarevic it was apparent that he was not on his top game. It has been remarkable how Federer has been able to play at such a high level so consistantly over the last few years. It was only a matter of time before he had a lapse, everyone does. Hopefully, because I really love watching him and Nadal play when they are at their best, he gets back to form in time to win his first French Open.

I also think Djokovic is the real deal. He has a really solid, all-around game and he should only continue to get better over the next few years. The way Federal has absolutely dominated the field the last few years is an incredible feat, and just can't see him winning 3 majors in a year again. I imagine he will continue to win 1-2 a year for several more years, but it is only inevitable that the playing field will level itself out a little at a new crop of young talent comes up the ranks.

raptorial bird (1/25/2008)
I also think Djokovic is the real deal. He has a really solid, all-around game and he should only continue to get better over the next few years. The way Federal has absolutely dominated the field the last few years is an incredible feat, and just can't see him winning 3 majors in a year again. I imagine he will continue to win 1-2 a year for several more years, but it is only inevitable that the playing field will level itself out a little at a new crop of young talent comes up the ranks.

It really has been remarkable what Federer has done over the last few years. Just the fact that I expect him to be in every major final says it all. I do hope he wins the French this year, or before he is done.

The Nadal/Federer rivalry has really helped maintain interest in a sport that was being dominated by just one guy. Adding new challengers to the mix just makes it more interesting.

Do you know anything about the other guy in the final, whatshisname?

Fanboy3000 (1/25/2008)
raptorial bird (1/25/2008)

It really has been remarkable what Federer has done over the last few years. Just the fact that I expect him to be in every major final says it all. I do hope he wins the French this year, or before he is done.

The Nadal/Federer rivalry has really helped maintain interest in a sport that was being dominated by just one guy. Adding new challengers to the mix just makes it more interesting.

Do you know anything about the other guy in the final, whatshisname?

Tsonga... He's french and about 21-22 years old. I remember he lost to Nadal in the 2007 US Open. He got his payback, though and beat Nadal without losing a single service game. He really came out of nowhere, I heard he was the first unseeded player to make it to a final since 1997.

Federer didn't look himself from the 3rd match on. Even in his straight set wins, his back was up against the wall in a couple of those matches and had to rally it out in tiebreakers. I've never seen him broken so many times as he was this entire tournament. Against Djokovic, he had several opportunities to put away winners, and he whiffed on the shot. I know the bar is set high for him and even Tiger Woods doesn't win every major, but the question I want to know is whether he was just flat this tournament or has he peaked out?

As for Djokovic, this guy will be ranked #1 in the world sooner rather than later. He can play. The problem is he's not a good 5-set player. He gets worn out too easily and has too big a temper. The guy was sucking wind the other night in the 3rd set.