Is Van Gorder another Petrino?

sniffmyfinger

At least he's not the head coach so he can't do THAT much damage.

What is interesting is that Smith has already hired a scape goat.

Next year if the defense under performs and he has to fire the DC I won't have a problem with it. I will applaud it.

I will also go on a rampage about how the HC hired the wrong guy that never should have been hired in the first place...

But I'll save all that for when it happens.

You obviously can't pay attention to the blatantly biased Van Gorger hater. Anything written from that joker is nothing more than wasted electricity. Having said that, Van Gorder has been not done anything other than destroy GSU's offense to constitute being put in the same sentence as Pigtrino. He left Ga after being an awesome DC for four years to be the LB'ers coach at JAX. He then was offered the HC position at GSU. That definitely wasn't his calling so there was a mutual agreement that he needed to go. So he left to be our LB'ers coach last year, got shanked by Pig boy, and did what any of you would have done and accepted Ole Ball Coach's offer to be DC in the SEC again. He did finish the season with us out before leaving. You can't fault him for leaving because you all know whoever was coming in was going to bring there own staff in, so he was as good as gone. Well, until his former buddy from JAX became head coach. That is no way the same as Petrino. His only mistake was GSU.

The only thing I don't like about the hire is Van Gorder has a sizeable ego. He completly upended one of the powers of FCS football and turned them from a playoff team to a 3-8 joke in one season. He came in with the cupboard stocked and let it crumble.

If Smith likes him and the players are ok with it, then I'll be alright with him coming back. There's no question he knows defense. Two good defensive minds on one staff can't hurt. Good defense usually equals good team.

Vicious (1/25/2008)
You obviously can't pay attention to the blatantly biased Van Gorger hater. Anything written from that joker is nothing more than wasted electricity. Having said that, Van Gorder has been not done anything other than destroy GSU's offense to constitute being put in the same sentence as Pigtrino. He left Ga after being an awesome DC for four years to be the LB'ers coach at JAX. He then was offered the HC position at GSU. That definitely wasn't his calling so there was a mutual agreement that he needed to go. So he left to be our LB'ers coach last year, got shanked by Pig boy, and did what any of you would have done and accepted Ole Ball Coach's offer to be DC in the SEC again. He did finish the season with us out before leaving. You can't fault him for leaving because you all know whoever was coming in was going to bring there own staff in, so he was as good as gone. Well, until his former buddy from JAX became head coach. That is no way the same as Petrino. His only mistake was GSU.

good post Vicious - very accurate and fair depiction of VG's travels......its easy to rip the "5 jobs/4yrs" thing in a headline, but when you really look at what happened its not a fair depiction. The only mistake VG made was the GSU thing - well, it just didn't work out - everything else is all positive!

Petrino problem is he makes promises and then breaks them. He leaves a team before the season ends, and he speaks one thing and does another. His ethics are all messed up . Now this other guy Van Gorder, he left his previous job for a promotion. I can't really speak to why he mentioned college is where he wanted to be and then returned, that's a little shaky, but overall he is just a man chasing the american dream of progress.

From UGA to LB coach on Jags. A promotion he took it.

Lb Coach to GSU as HC again a promotion to head coach and he took it( Bad mistake wasn't ready for HC job) then left it to go to the Falcons as a LB coach realizing he wasn't ready for head coaching job. Then accepted a job as DC for another SEC school not a promotion but with the head coach leaving the team with a few games to go in the season knowing a new coach will bring his own personnel took a job doing what he was proven at, Now a guy he knows who knows him gets a head coaching job and he is offered another Promotion and takes it and you up in arms? Get real, Im sure none of you would accept a promotion and more money right? Look in the mirror deep.

And Fire Bryan Van Groder

Since your so quick to say you'll be the first to bang your chest if he fails will you be the first to congratulate him if he is successful? Doubt it.

onbir11 (1/25/2008)
The only thing I don't like about the hire is Van Gorder has a sizeable ego. He completly upended one of the powers of FCS football and turned them from a playoff team to a 3-8 joke in one season. He came in with the cupboard stocked and let it crumble.

New coach with a new system will taking some learning to do and winning with the new team, but I dont think he was ready to be a Head Coach. How is the cupboard bare because of him? were all the starters and backups Sr.'s and he didn't recruit well his one season?

the last 2 (now 3) jobs are different though.

He left college to come to the NFL (Falcons)...fine. He went back to college, because he figured he was all but gone from ATL. Most assistants are gone w/ a coaching change. He took a job while it was there for the taking, gotta eat.

Now our new coach (Smith)not only would have left him keep him job, but he promoted him. No way he could have known that Smith was coming.

Realistically, he made the right move IMO. No other coach would have not kept him on board. If we hired anyone but Smith he would still be at SC. He played the odds, and it turns out he was covered either way.

Really, I think the only problem is that he opened his mouth to make SC happy to have him. His "college guy" quote will stick with him for a bit I am sure. Especially w the fickle media and fanbase that resides in Atlanta.

the reason petrino is such a rat is because he lied to everyone and said he would stay. he then left without telling anyone, in the middle of the season. that is the reason why i dont know if anyone can compare w/ him. at least finish the season out and meet the players face to face and tell them why you are leaving.

1989fan (1/25/2008)

He left college to come to the NFL (Falcons)...fine. He went back to college, because he figured he was all but gone from ATL. Most assistants are gone w/ a coaching change. He took a job while it was there for the taking, gotta eat.

Now our new coach (Smith)not only would have left him keep him job, but he promoted him. No way he could have known that Smith was coming.

Realistically, he made the right move IMO. No other coach would have not kept him on board. If we hired anyone but Smith he would still be at SC. He played the odds, and it turns out he was covered either way.

Really, I think the only problem is that he opened his mouth to make SC happy to have him. His "college guy" quote will stick with him for a bit I am sure. Especially w the fickle media and fanbase that resides in Atlanta.

i agree, but i think he thought that he wouldnt get a chance, so their was no point in trying. i like the fact that the Jags wanted him to replace mike when he left, BUT nope we got him, and he is staying here.:w00t::cool:

1989fan (1/25/2008)

He left college to come to the NFL (Falcons)...fine. He went back to college, because he figured he was all but gone from ATL. Most assistants are w a coaching chane. He took a job while it was there for the taking, gotta eat.

Now our new coahc not only would have left him keep him job, but he promoted him.

Realistically, he miade the right move IMO. Any other coach would have not kept him on board. If we hired anyone but Smith he would still be at SC.

Dude, are you drunk? Or are you just typing really fast and not checking for errors?:P