John Gibson is a disgusting human being.

Should the democrats introduce a resolution condemning Gibson for what he said right after Heath Ledger died. Because you know that the republicans would if there was some CNN or MSNBC news host that had said something of this nature after Falwell died.

If you have not heard on his radio show very shortly after the death of Ledger was announced Gibson was on the radio mocking the death of Ledger.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/feature/story.cf...jectid=10488779

"Fox News host John Gibson made some alarmingly homophobic and distasteful comments mocking Heath Ledger's death on live radio yesterday.

The host appeared to revel in the sad news of Ledger's death, and took the word a-hole to a whole new level.

Opening his radio show with funeral music, Gibson callously mocked the actor's death, calling him a "weirdo" with a "serious drug problem".

He then played an audio clip of the iconic quote from movie Brokeback Mountain, "I wish I knew how to quit you" - to which Gibson distastefully quipped, "Well, he found out how to quit you".

Laughing, Gibson then played another clip from Brokeback Mountain in which Ledger's character says, "We're dead", followed by his own, mocking "We're dead" before playing the clip again.

Gibson has to be one of the most disgusting HOMOPHOBES I have ever seen he is mocking a 28 year old mans death because he PLAYED a GAY character in a movie.

Here is the audio clip if you can stomach it

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/23/gibson-mocks-ledger/

I urge all of you to email FOX News and tell them how disgusted you are with this conduct.

If you want to call it an apology he apologized by saying,

I m sorry that some took my comments as anti-gay and insensitive, and

Once again, to anyone offended by my comments, I m sorry.

He is apologizes to those he offended? What does that mean? What a f'ing freak how do right wingers listen to this type of stuff.

Oh yeah do not forget FOX is not right wing propaganda they are "fair and balanced"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

braves_n_falcons (1/25/2008)
Should the democrats introduce a resolution condemning Gibson for what he said right after Heath Ledger died. Because you know that the republicans would if there was some CNN or MSNBC news host that had said something of this nature after Falwell died.

If you have not heard on his radio show very shortly after the death of Ledger was announced Gibson was on the radio mocking the death of Ledger.

"Fox News host John Gibson made some alarmingly homophobic and distasteful comments mocking Heath Ledger's death on live radio yesterday.

The host appeared to revel in the sad news of Ledger's death, and took the word a-hole to a whole new level.

Opening his radio show with funeral music, Gibson callously mocked the actor's death, calling him a "weirdo" with a "serious drug problem".

He then played an audio clip of the iconic quote from movie Brokeback Mountain, "I wish I knew how to quit you" - to which Gibson distastefully quipped, "Well, he found out how to quit you".

Laughing, Gibson then played another clip from Brokeback Mountain in which Ledger's character says, "We're dead", followed by his own, mocking "We're dead" before playing the clip again.

Gibson has to be one of the most disgusting HOMOPHOBES I have ever seen he is mocking a 28 year old mans death because he PLAYED a GAY character in a movie.

I urge all of you to email FOX News and tell them how disgusted you are with this conduct.

He is apologizes to those he offended? What does that mean? What a f'ing freak how do right wingers listen to this type of stuff.

Oh yeah do not forget FOX is not right wing propaganda they are "fair and balanced"

he made a couple of one liners about someone who passed? i am not a person who gets worked up another mans comments.. don't like it, dont listen.

Ramen (1/25/2008)
Way to overreact.

Who me?

So is it okay to be a bigot toward gays but not toward any race?

The only reason he said this is because he is a bigot. Also I do not think his family thinks it is an over reaction.

its his families' issues then. not all of america to start complaining for a minute radio clip. unless his family asked for help.

I agree that Gibson's remarks were in very poor taste, but to suggest that Dems are that bastions of fair play and common sense is crazy, did you have similar outrage when these pearls were bestowed upon us?

"And there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the ýÿ of ýÿ the historical customs, religious customs. Whether you like it or not ... Iraqis should be doing that." -- John Kerry slams the troops again

"Just remember that in Florida 2000, the victims were black and Latino voters who were, who were, um, just so callously and openly denied the opportunity to cast their vote in a scheme that was cooked in a backroom by rich and powerful white people. And in 2004, with the electronic voting machines, your votes are at risk too." -- Democratic Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney (I know she is part of the Green Party now, but that because even the Dems finally figured out what a whackjob he she is)

"This President is never gonna do the right thing. I think somewhere deep down inside him he takes a lot of joy about losing people, if he thinks they vote Democrat or if he thinks they're poor, or if he thinks they're in a blue state, whatever his reasons are not to rescue those people." -- Air America's Randi Rhodes speculates that Bush wanted Democrats to die in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina

"What outrages me as a representative of journalists is that thereýÿs not more outrage about the number, and the brutality, and the cavalier nature of the U.S. military toward the killing of journalists in Iraq....They target and kill journalists ... uh, from other countries, particularly Arab countries like Al -, like Arab news services like Al-Jazeera, for example. They actually target them and blow up their studios with impunity...." -- Newspaper Guild President Linda Foley

"On one occasion, the air conditioning had been turned down so far and the temperature was so cold in the room, that the barefooted detainee was shaking with cold. ..... On another occasion, the [air conditioner] had been turned off, making the temperature in the unventilated room well over 100 degrees. The detainee was almost unconscious on the floor, with a pile of hair next to him. He had apparently been literally pulling his hair out throughout the night. On another occasion, not only was the temperature unbearably hot, but extremely loud rap music was being played in the room, and had been since the day before, with the detainee chained hand and foot in the fetal position on the tile floor.

If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime--Pol Pot or others--that had no concern for human beings. Sadly, that is not the case. This was the action of Americans in the treatment of their prisoners." -- Democratic Senator **** Durbin

"George Bush doesn't care about black people...They're giving the Army permission to go down and shoot us." -- Kayne West on the rescue efforts in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina

"Do our government's poorly paid contract killers deserve our "support" for blindly following orders?" -- Ted Rall shows his "support" for the troops

"If I had my way, I would see Katherine Harris and Ken Blackwell strapped down to electric chairs and lit up like Christmas trees. The better to light the way for American Democracy and American Freedom!" -- Democratic Talk Radio's Stephen Crockett

"Real freedom will come when [u.S.] soldiers in Iraq turn their guns on their superiors." -- Warren County Community College adjunct English professor, John Daly

Very long post I realize, but I could have gone on almost indefiantly, I don't post these to excuse what Gibson said, once again it was in very poor taste, but save your selective outrage.

and I do get that you're saying Gibson's remarks were bigoted, I think that is a reach because he chose clips from BBM to make fun of Ledger's death. I think he was being an ****, and making light of it because of the many times a young Hollywood actor has self destructed in similar ways...almost to say; Why is anyone surprised? I could be wrong, but so could you.

silentbob1272 (1/25/2008)
and I do get that you're saying Gibson's remarks were bigoted, I think that is a reach because he chose clips from BBM to make fun of Ledger's death. I think he was being an ****, and making light of it because of the many times a young Hollywood actor has self destructed in similar ways...almost to say; Why is anyone surprised? I could be wrong, but so could you.

yep......he was being a big time ****.....and you compared that to Kerry suggesting that we shouldn't be doing random street sweeps in the middle of the night in Iraq?

one guys is saying that he doesn't agree with current foreign policy and the other is just being an ##### and think they are comparable? wtf?

If Gibson said something on his radio show, what the **** has FoxNews got to do with it?

And for you to bring Democrat v GOP into this is just hysterical. Take a valium and breathe into a paper bag for awhile.

Ramen (1/25/2008)
Way to overreact.

Who me?

So is it okay to be a bigot toward gays but not toward any race?

The only reason he said this is because he is a bigot. Also I do not think his family thinks it is an over reaction.

I'm as happy as anyone to point out the problems with FOX. However, the only association with homosexuality is the fact that he used Brokeback Mountain clips. If this had been clips from some other movie, Gibson would have used those. He was making fun of a dead guy, which is tasteless but not necessarily homophobic.

Frankly, I don't see much difference between what Gibson did and what Kim Petersen did every week on flush the lines:

"Mr. Ledger? Mr. Ledger? Wake up Mr. Ledger..."

you know- we actually do kick in doors in the middle of the night and snatch people in Iraq. I know people who do it. and i'm sure it does terrorize the women and children in those homes.

i really hate the mindset that talking about bad things the US govt has done or bad things US troops have done is "hating America". it's called THE TRUTH.

also, even though obviously kanye was offbase with the "W hates black people" part, you have to admit Bush screwed the pooch royally on that one. turning away foreign aid that could have assisted people faster and ordering the natl guard to confiscate US citizens' legal weapons are both offenses for which i believe somebody's head should roll.

"i don't post these to excuse Gibson" -yeah ##### right. i understand you're replying to the "democrats should pass a resolution" (and i agree thats a pretty dumb idea and a huge waste of taxpayer $), but that's exactly what you're doing. "look what people from the other party (and a pop rapper and a random college professor) are saying! they're worse!!!"

as for Gibson- this isn't the first time he's said something like this. he's a huge homophobe and a neocon war-mongerer. the guy can't help but make stupid comments. besides which, his haircut makes him look like kim-jong il. i always think of N. Korean or Chinese official state television programs when i see him on TV. (and he is the same thing: a propagandist for the powers that be)

thesouphead (1/25/2008)

yep......he was being a big time ****.....and you compared that to Kerry suggesting that we shouldn't be doing random street sweeps in the middle of the night in Iraq?

one guys is saying that he doesn't agree with current foreign policy and the other is just being an ##### and think they are comparable? wtf?

I was comparing the fact that outrageously dumb things are said by lefties each and every day, but this guy only got this angry when a Republican made an idiot of himself. Such selective outrage carries no weight. Did you really not get that???

I was comparing the fact that outrageously dumb things are said by lefties each and every day, but this guy only got this angry when a Republican made an idiot of himself. Such selective outrage carries no weight. Did you really not get that???

What Kerry said was true and was something to actually be discussed and debated. What Gibson said was nothing more than him being a ****. Those are not comparable......even if you disagree with Kerry, it doesn't mean he was being a **** to anybody.

if you want to discuss what Kerry said...I'd actually like to do that because he was right. We needed to win the approval of the Iraqis, not ##### them off.....which is what we did. There is no telling how many young male kids who we converted into future terrorists because we knocked down their door in the middle of the night and arrested their father for no reasons except being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Those kids saw American soilders bust into their homes so it will be Americans they will want to take their revenge out on..........this would not be the case if it had been Iraqi police or military. Kerry was spot on.

I really do not know where to start. NONE of you have actually listen to the clip because if you had there should be no doubt in your mind that it was a bigoted statement.

My problem is he is a HOST on a MAJOR cable news program and is suppose to be a journalist and for someone to make these types of comments is disgusting. The only reason he made those comments is because Heath played a gay character. These comments were bigoted.

I guess I was mistaken when I thought that this country had moved far enough along so that a HOMOPHOBE that makes these types of statements would get fired just like if a news host was to make a racist on the airwaves.

Also, I guess some people still think it is alright to treat gays in this country different than other classes of people in this country. How unfortunate

Bob, how is he not a bigot do you really think if Matt Damon, Christian Bale, Ben Affleck, etc. would have died that Gibson would have made these same comments or do you forget how upset hate-radio was when Brokeback Mountain won all those Oscar's. because hate-radio and even Gibson actually said that the purpose of the movie was to push a gay agenda. Keep those blinders on if you do not think that there was bigotry involved.

Also don't you think if Anderson Copper had started mocking the death of Jerry Falwell the right wing nuts would be in a tizzy wanting the head of Anderson Copper and I would bet my last dollar the the Republicans in the House would pass a resolution condemning Anderson.

The only reason Gibson said those things is because he knew that the bigots that listen to him would find it funny that the gay cowboy had died.

I do not listen to him but he is on FOX news every night and I just do not think that people like that should have that type of forum to spread their hate.

I really do not know where to start. NONE of you have actually listen to the clip because if you had there should be no doubt in your mind that it was a bigoted statement.

My problem is he is a HOST on a MAJOR cable news program and is suppose to be a journalist and for someone to make these types of comments is disgusting. The only reason he made those comments is because Heath played a gay character. These comments were bigoted.

I guess I was mistaken when I thought that this country had moved far enough along so that a HOMOPHOBE that makes these types of statements would get fired just like if a news host was to make a racist on the airwaves.

Also, I guess some people still think it is alright to treat gays in this country different than other classes of people in this country. How unfortunate

Bob, how is he not a bigot do you really think if Matt Damon, Christian Bale, Ben Affleck, etc. would have died that Gibson would have made these same comments or do you forget how upset hate-radio was when Brokeback Mountain won all those Oscar's. because hate-radio and even Gibson actually said that the purpose of the movie was to push a gay agenda. Keep those blinders on if you do not think that there was bigotry involved.

Also don't you think if Anderson Copper had started mocking the death of Jerry Falwell the right wing nuts would be in a tizzy wanting the head of Anderson Copper and I would bet my last dollar the the Republicans in the House would pass a resolution condemning Anderson.

The only reason Gibson said those things is because he knew that the bigots that listen to him would find it funny that the gay cowboy had died.

I do not listen to him but he is on FOX news every night and I just do not think that people like that should have that type of forum to spread their hate.

So why watch FOX news?

octoslash (1/25/2008)

If Gibson said something on his radio show, what the **** has FoxNews got to do with it?

And for you to bring Democrat v GOP into this is just hysterical. Take a valium and breathe into a paper bag for awhile.

What type is this? So I guess NIKE should not have dropped Vick because of the dogfighting because somewhere else. Gibson still is a HOST on FOX News. I am not saying that FOX is responsible for his comments on the radio what I am saying is that they should not keep someone like that on the payroll.

And how is it hysterical to bring GOP vs. Democrat the dems are not the party full of bigots it the GOP. ALL I was saying is that if Jerry Falwell had been treated like that shortly after he died I will bet you my last dollar that they would have introduced a resolution to condemn however said it.

I do not need to take a valium but I am sick and tired of bigots. If you do not mind bigots all the more power to you. Also this is not the FIRST time Gibson has made a bigoted statement.

I listened to the clip and it didn't change my perspective. I agree with you that Gibson is a jerk. I agree with you that it's an embarrassment for FOX to have him on for an hour every single night. I even agree with you that conservatives engage in selective outrage over stupid comments people on the left make, although liberals do the exact same thing to those on the right (this thread being a good illustration, as silentbob noted).

I don't agree with you that his comments were anti-gay. You're reaching to make that connection, which is why you're overreacting to this whole thing.

XLDenaliReturns (1/25/2008)
except half your quotes had some sort of validity, or were at least talking about a serious issue instead of just tastelessly mocking a dead guy.

i disagree with most of those quotes, but each and every one of them is several times more valid than what Gibson said. and it reflects poorly on your ability to think objectively and logically about these things that you would throw out some of those as comparable.

even the electric chair comment and the idiotic Randi Rhodes and Rall comments (whoever they are) are easily 5x as classy as what Gibson said.

EDIT: what happened to SilentBob's quote? i hate this new board.

thesouphead (1/25/2008)

What Kerry said was true and was something to actually be discussed and debated. What Gibson said was nothing more than him being a ****. Those are not comparable......even if you disagree with Kerry, it doesn't mean he was being a **** to anybody.

if you want to discuss what Kerry said...I'd actually like to do that because he was right. We needed to win the approval of the Iraqis, not ##### them off.....which is what we did. There is no telling how many young male kids who we converted into future terrorists because we knocked down their door in the middle of the night and arrested their father for no reasons except being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Those kids saw American soilders bust into their homes so it will be Americans they will want to take their revenge out on..........this would not be the case if it had been Iraqi police or military. Kerry was spot on.

Even if (and I by no means doubt that you do) believe that the garbage Kerry said is true, thats fine. There was a quote or two more there, were they true as well? Once more, I thought the point I was making was very obvious, if it was not then I guess I should have better explained. Anyone (and no surprise in that it was you) can pick a crazy quote and argue that it is debatable. So for the sake of the originally point of the post, I'll concede that the bs that Kerry said is debatable. People on one side will say its true, people on the other will say its a lie, it depends on who you believe. Fair enough?