One of our old coaches, signs a deal with the chargers to coach a star..

falconsstomp

Chargers hire Wilson to coach running backs

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Ollie Wilson, who coached LaDainian Tomlinson as a rookie, rejoined the San Diego Chargers as running backs coach Thursday.

Wilson spent the last six seasons with the Atlanta Falcons. He received a two-year contract to work under Norv Turner.

The Chargers also agreed to new two-year contracts with special teams coach Steve Crosby, quarterbacks coach John Ramsdell and offensive line coach Hal Hunter Jr.

Wilson previously coached with the Chargers from 1997-2001, under Kevin Gilbride, June Jones and Mike Riley.

Under Wilson's tutelage in 2001, Tomlinson set team rookie records with 1,236 rushing yards, 10 touchdowns and 1,603 total yards from scrimmage. His scrimmage mark also broke Hall of Famer Lance Alworth's 36-year-old team record.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

JDaveG (1/25/2008)
Yeah, and that assistant head coach we retained is whiter than Clay Aiken.

.....oh, wait......

so basically u sayin 1 is good enough? big wow...this is why the ajc wrote an article about minority candidates..its not that anyone is tryna be racist, i think its just time for a change. it worked in indianapolis, and chicago and pittsburgh (even tho they were already good under cowher), cincinnati was ok under marvin.

falconsstomp (1/25/2008)
JDaveG (1/25/2008)

.....oh, wait......

so basically u sayin 1 is good enough? big wow...this is why the ajc wrote an article about minority candidates..its not that anyone is tryna be racist, i think its just time for a change. it worked in indianapolis, and chicago and pittsburgh (even tho they were already good under cowher), cincinnati was ok under marvin.

Yeah let hire someone because of their skin color. Oh wait, that was what you against.

Isn't it about good coaching and not skill? Now if a minority candidate proves he's better than a white one give him his fair shot, but if none are proven as good why just hire them? Because they are a minority?

Well then find a woman to be our defensive coordinator before we get sued.

falconsstomp (1/25/2008)
JDaveG (1/25/2008)

.....oh, wait......

Yeah, the only reason those coaches were successful is because they were black. Had nothing to do with their ability. It was their skin color.

Do you even realize how hypocritical that is?

JTFalcon89 (1/25/2008)
Why does it matter what race our coachin staff is "Winning Dont Have a Race, but it has a color that color is championship gold" thats only color we need to worry about

if race wasnt so important, then why during the superbowl last year, everyone from the media, to the reporters blew up the fact that 2 black coaches were in the superbowl??dont tell me race isnt important. i know it has everything to do with their ability to coach and know the game and NOT their skin color, so why didnt they give singletary a shot, ron meeks, or **** why not sylvester croom from mississippi state??

falconsstomp (1/25/2008)
JTFalcon89 (1/25/2008)
Why does it matter what race our coachin staff is "Winning Dont Have a Race, but it has a color that color is championship gold" thats only color we need to worry about

if race wasnt so important, then why during the superbowl last year, everyone from the media, to the reporters blew up the fact that 2 black coaches were in the superbowl??dont tell me race isnt important. i know it has everything to do with their ability to coach and know the game and NOT their skin color, so why didnt they give singletary a shot, ron meeks, or **** why not sylvester croom from mississippi state??

they did consider singletary. they said that they interviewed him the year before so there was no reason to interview and ask him the same questions all over again. he was on the list.

I call it reverse racism. White people weren't boasting that a black coach hadn't been to the super bowl. They weren't keeping a tally. But the media sees an opportunity to for no good reason blow up about finally there was a black coach in the Super Bowl, which in my opinion discredited their good coaching abilities in the process.

Do you see anyone saying anything about two white coaches in the Super Bowl this year? Of course not, so why make a big deal about other skin colors in it.

formul8or (1/25/2008)

I call it reverse racism. White people weren't boasting that a black coach hadn't been to the super bowl. They weren't keeping a tally. But the media sees an opportunity to for no good reason blow up about finally there was a black coach in the Super Bowl, which in my opinion discredited their good coaching abilities in the process.

Do you see anyone saying anything about two white coaches in the Super Bowl this year? Of course not, so why make a big deal about other skin colors in it.

yea the media just wanted to talk they talk about anything that people will listen to (i.e- romo and simpson)

falconsstomp (1/25/2008)
Chargers hire Wilson to coach running backs

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Ollie Wilson, who coached LaDainian Tomlinson as a rookie, rejoined the San Diego Chargers as running backs coach Thursday.

Wilson spent the last six seasons with the Atlanta Falcons. He received a two-year contract to work under Norv Turner.

The Chargers also agreed to new two-year contracts with special teams coach Steve Crosby, quarterbacks coach John Ramsdell and offensive line coach Hal Hunter Jr.

Wilson previously coached with the Chargers from 1997-2001, under Kevin Gilbride, June Jones and Mike Riley.

Under Wilson's tutelage in 2001, Tomlinson set team rookie records with 1,236 rushing yards, 10 touchdowns and 1,603 total yards from scrimmage. His scrimmage mark also broke Hall of Famer Lance Alworth's 36-year-old team record.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Pres

We let Ollie Wilson walk? You're kidding me.

So we let him walk but we re-sign Van Gromer to be the DC?!?

Wilson was a **** good coach. For all you guys that love Norwood do you think Wilson might have been a reason?

Wilson was one of Reeves assistants.

Oh well. This is strike 2 for the new regime. First Van Goober and now this...

:angry:

BirdsOfPrey (1/25/2008)

The reason everyone blew it up was because it was a benchmark. Finally, after all of the oppression for this country's history, a black head coach made it to the NFL's biggest stage.

Skin color has nothing to do with a person's ability. You are being very hypocritical. By asking why they didn't hire a black coach, is just like when white coaches were the ones that were accepted because of their skin color. You are flipping the tables around and taking a step backward.

actually dude, i wasnt sayin why didnt he hire a black coach, i was sayin why didnt we retain ollie wilson??he only had a handfull of black coaches and he was a **** good one and they let him walk. resigning emmitt thomas was a good start, but why let ollie go?

Why is everyone not going after New England for their Lack of Diversity? The Falcons have more diversity in their organization than New England. Well, I can tell you why people don't complain about race with New England, b/c they win! All we need to do is win and people will come together no matter the race. We need something that draws us together on common ground. It is when our common ground is torn apart that we revert back to our differences. Our common ground was destroyed this past season. Well, let's win this year and forget about the color of someone's skin, coach, player, or FO.

NCFalcon52 (1/25/2008)
Why is everyone not going after New England for their Lack of Diversity? The Falcons have more diversity in their organization than New England. Well, I can tell you why people don't complain about race with New England, b/c they win! All we need to do is win and people will come together no matter the race. We need something that draws us together on common ground. It is when our common ground is torn apart that we revert back to our differences. Our common ground was destroyed this past season. Well, let's win this year and forget about the color of someone's skin, coach, player, or FO.

because the pats win all the time, if they had loosing seasons and mediocre season like we have been having, everyone would question belicheat and his staff also..

I will say... RACE is important to many people. It is important when in your life is impacted by the way you were treated growing up. I am a white male but to give some perspective, there were two ladies I know talking. One was white and the other was black. They were talking about race and culture and the lady who was white asked the other lady is race still an issue. She said this, "What do you feel when you walk by a police officer?", the other lady said, "I feel safe, and protected." The black lady responded, "That is the difference with you and me. I grew up fearing the police because of the way my family and my neighbors were treated. When I see a police officer I walk on the other side of the road. I know things have changed but it is hard to forget the past."

Please on this board do not deny that there is a problem in our country still because of race. It isn't where it was 40 years ago but there are still issues. We need to begin to mend and heal those wounds. If you haven't experienced what those who have been abused b/c of race have then please don't speak out against those that have.

I also have a friend that was attacked not because of his race but because of his beliefs. His dad was a Preacher in a town where there were no Christians. They would light crosses on fire in their yard. My friend would come home from school beaten up b/c his dad was a preacher and this was just 20 years ago in our country.

It is real. Let's work on bringing healing not cutting the wounds deeper! One way to do that here on the message boards is to talk about FOOTBALL!!!!

bozoatl (1/25/2008)
Hey - since Ollie went to SD, maybe we can get James Lofton as our WR coach. They fired him and hired Charlie Joiner. Let's see, who was our WR coach last season? Oh, yeah - Quitterino, Jr. How about Lofton? Bring him home, Smitty!!

We'll probably hire a college guy to coach the RBs.

Wilson was a good coach. Why did we let him go and hire Van Dumb-#####?

So far the new Head Coach and GM have not impressed me.

NCFalcon52 (1/25/2008)
I will say... RACE is important to many people. It is important when in your life is impacted by the way you were treated growing up. I am a white male but to give some perspective, there were two ladies I know talking. One was white and the other was black. They were talking about race and culture and the lady who was white asked the other lady is race still an issue. She said this, "What do you feel when you walk by a police officer?", the other lady said, "I feel safe, and protected." The black lady responded, "That is the difference with you and me. I grew up fearing the police because of the way my family and my neighbors were treated. When I see a police officer I walk on the other side of the road. I know things have changed but it is hard to forget the past."

Please on this board do not deny that there is a problem in our country still because of race. It isn't where it was 40 years ago but there are still issues. We need to begin to mend and heal those wounds. If you haven't experienced what those who have been abused b/c of race have then please don't speak out against those that have.

I also have a friend that was attacked not because of his race but because of his beliefs. His dad was a Preacher in a town where there were no Christians. They would light crosses on fire in their yard. My friend would come home from school beaten up b/c his dad was a preacher and this was just 20 years ago in our country.

It is real. Let's work on bringing healing not cutting the wounds deeper! One way to do that here on the message boards is to talk about FOOTBALL!!!!

sad but true...im black, when the police get behind me when im driving, even though ive done nothing wrong, and have nothin in my car, i still get a little tensed up and slide down in my seat to avoid looking at them and them lookin at me cauze we all know when police get behind you, they are running your plate..i dont know if whites feel like that, but thats how we feel.

formul8or (1/25/2008)

How can you blame the media for reporting something that is historically significant in the history of the NFL? Before last year there had never been 1 Black Head Coach in the Super Bowl and in 1 year there were two, who both happen to be by all accounts outstanding coaches and individuals. If the media had not reported on this story there would have been complaints about this historic event being overlooked. If you were honest, you'd admit that a majority of the stories reporting on the event both promoted the fact that they were Black as well as how well they have done as head coaches. By the way there's no historical significance to two white coaches being in the Super Bowl this year.. it's happened 40+ times before. Also, before you complain you might want to consider just how many members of the media are NOT white and take that into consideration before proclaiming any form of racism.

I swear, some of you just look for things to moan about.

formul8or (1/25/2008)
Isn't it about good coaching and not skill? Now if a minority candidate proves he's better than a white one give him his fair shot, but if none are proven as good why just hire them? Because they are a minority?

Well then find a woman to be our defensive coordinator before we get sued.

If neither coaches of color or women are given a chance to prove themselves from the outset what do you use to evaluate them on by comparison?

Who they're daddy is :ermm: perhaps?

It's a built in quandry.

How can you blame the media for reporting something that is historically significant in the history of the NFL? Before last year there had never been 1 Black Head Coach in the Super Bowl and in 1 year there were two, who both happen to be by all accounts outstanding coaches and individuals. If the media had not reported on this story there would have been complaints about this historic event being overlooked. If you were honest, you'd admit that a majority of the stories reporting on the event both promoted the fact that they were Black as well as how well they have done as head coaches. By the way there's no historical significance to two white coaches being in the Super Bowl this year.. it's happened 40+ times before. Also, before you complain you might want to consider just how many members of the media are NOT white and take that into consideration before proclaiming any form of racism.

I swear, some of you just look for things to moan about.

Something to moan about! Exactly! That's what reverse racism is, finding something to point out even though no one was bragging about the current situation(ie white coaches all the time).

sad but true...im black, when the police get behind me when im driving, even though ive done nothing wrong, and have nothin in my car, i still get a little tensed up and slide down in my seat to avoid looking at them and them lookin at me cauze we all know when police get behind you, they are running your plate..i dont know if whites feel like that, but thats how we feel.

I don't know where you guys live, but here in Atlanta 99% of the police force is black.