Carbohydrate's and Calorie's

Demetrius Dew

womfalcs3 (1/25/2008)
I don't know about intake needs as that differs from person to person. I just wanted to say that calories are units of energy. In fact, in some nations, it's presented in kilojoules. You can't measure it in units of mass.

Beat me to it. You need enough calories to match your daily intake, or SLIGHTLY less if you wish to lose weight or SLIGHTLY more if you want to gain weight. You always prefer good calories versus bad, but hard gainers at some point have to eat a certain amount of fat and carbs to get enough intake. From your proposal, it seems you are wanting to lose weight, and 1000 calories a day (not grams, calories) is WAAAAY too little for anyone other than a small child. 1500 is a pretty severe diet, frankly.

As for carbs, I tend to think any simple carbs are bad, so take those (refined sugar, white flour, white bread, etc.) in smaller doses, but if you are a marathon runner, you NEED a lot of complex carbs. If you are a weightlifter, you probably need more protein and less carbs.

If you are a couch potato, it doesn't really matter much, does it?

Demetrius Dew (1/25/2008)
What is a good daily intake of each?

I was thinking..........

Carbohydrates..... 50 Grams a Day

Calorie's..............1000 Grams a Day

Is this a realistic number for a good Diet?

1000 calories a day? What're you trying to do? Kill yourself?

Just to add onto what the others have said, if you try to attempt such miniscule intake of food, your body will lose weight sure, but it'll mostly be muscle and just a little fat. Then when you try to go back to eating regularly you're metabolism will be slowed and you'll pack on more fat than muscle due to your body thinking you were starving it.

I suggest portion control and exercise instead of worrying about how many cals your consuming. Between 1800-2000 calories per day is adequate.

1,ooo calories will work fine if you wish to get down to 75lbs or less. If you are active at all, 1,000 calories will get you down to about 65lbs.

A very simple way for an average person, that is marginally active, to figure calorie intake is to multiply their body weight by 14 to maintain their current body weight.

Example.. 200lbs X 14 = 2,800 calories per day to simply maintain that weight.

If you wish to lose weight, 3,500 calories equals 1 lb, so you would need to lower that calorie intake accordingly.

For example, a 200lb man wants to lose 20lbs at a rate of 1-2lbs per week (anything greater than that is not realistic) he would need to drop about 7,000 calories per week or 1,000 per day. So dropping from 2,800 calories to 1,800 calories per day would cause him to lose about 2lbs per week.

Then when at 180lbs, that person would need approx. 2,500 calories per day to maintain that weight.

The multiply by 14 is only good for regular people. If you are bedridden or a complete couch potatoe, you will need fewer calories to maintain your weight. If you are very active, you will need more calories.

But for the average guy who has some activity each day, multiplyibg body weight is a simple way to judge ones daily calorie needs...

Krazy Kaptain (1/25/2008)
etifan (1/25/2008)
Your body needs way more than 1000 calories per day. I'm a 5'4" girl and I take in 1300-1500 (I'm a size two) per day.

Are you trying to maintain, lose or gain?

You must weigh about 105lbs

I haven't weighed in a while. I think I'm around 115 now.

I am trying to lose wieght, I am currently at 220 LBS and I would like to get down to 200 LBS. I would also like to try and eat healthier and exercise more so I can stay in shape.

Thanks for the advice and the knowledge.

Check out the fitness thread if you haven't already (it's pinned). It has some good tips, and just general encouragement.

I am trying to lose wieght, I am currently at 220 LBS and I would like to get down to 200 LBS. I would also like to try and eat healthier and exercise more so I can stay in shape.

Thanks for the advice and the knowledge.

I'm pretty much the same as you (214) and I'm trying to drop back down to 190 so I can run a 15K in May. I was at 221 at the begining of January, but I cut my diet down to 1800 calories a day with about 140 grams of protein and low amount of carbs. An hour and 15 minutes of weight training and half an hour of cardio 6 days a week is what I am currently doing. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that with that basic plan the weight should be gone in about 2 months time, and done so in a healthy manner.

Anyone who is a fitness buff can correct me if I am wrong or offer suggestions, I haven't been really athletic since playing Lacrosse in college...and that was a couple years ago.

If you're working out also, you've gotta have carbs. I've never tried the whole Atkins thing because I couldn't survive without starches. Plus, once you go back to eating them your body goes into shock, stores them, and you gain the weight back just as quickly as you lost it.

I did a high carb/low fat/high protein diet on my last cycle. I was in the same boat at 220. I'm down to 210 now but want to get to 195. Just don't overload on them all at one time or a couple of hours before you go to bed.

Without knowing your bodyfat composition, exact exercise routine, and existing diet, nobody on here could give you accurate information regarding what you should be doing. The number of carb's and calories you consume depend largely on the amount of aerobic exercise you get, and are also influenced by how much anaerobic.

What is a good Daily Carb intake to help lose weight?

Its the quality of carbohydrates you eat that are important...more so than how much.

You dont want to be woofing down pasta all day, but your body, biochemically, would very much like carbohydrates to aid in metabolism.

100 grams/day is sufficient, but make sure you are getting plenty of fiber in that 100 grams. Fiber is VERY important.

And you dont want to consume less than 2000 calories/day like some may believe. A person your weight has a resting metabolic rate for over 3000 calories, so anything less than that will help you lose weight.

Quality, not quantity.