No Name Coordinator

fsu_steve

For those of you who are saying "WTF...we hired a no name coordinator?"

Prior to getting the job where they would eventually win a Super Bowl:

Vince Lombardi, Hank Stram, Don McCafferty, John Madden, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Tom Flores, Mike Ditka, Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, George Seifert, Mike Holmgren, Brian Billick and Bill Cowher were professional coordinators or position coaches. None of them had ever been an NFL head coach before.

Barry Switzer and Jimmy Johnson had been college head coaches.

Bill Belichick and Mike Shanahan had failed at their first NFL head coaching jobs prior to joining the Patriots and Broncos and winning the Super Bowl with them. Belichick was considered a joke as a head coach by the all knowing media.

Of ALL the Super Bowl winning head coaches on 5 were "big names" prior to joining the team they would capture a championship with: Weeb Ewbank, Don Shula, **** Vermeil, Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden.

The point is....being a no-name to the clowns in the media is no barrier to success. The fact is that all we have to go on here is his resume and the process.

Is this choice logically defensible? Was the process thorough? Did Mike Smith seem intelligent, articulate? Do his ex-players mostly like him? Does he seem compatible with his General Manager? Does his resume look as if it would prepare him to be a head coach? Does his football philosophy seem sound?

To me the answers to all those questions are a resounding yes.

Here is a quote that provides some perspective, this comes from Pro Football Prospectus 2006, they are talking about Eric Mangini and the burgeoning Belichick coaching tree.

"The Jets, spurned by Belichick in 2000, have attempted to pick a newer version of the game's best coach. This is not to suggest that Mangini does not have an excellent football mind. Nevertheless, if he compiled the exact same resume but spent the last five years in Jacksonville, he would still be toiling anonymously. Mangini has been a coordinator only one season....his resume, five years as a quality control assistant, five years as a defensive backs coach, one year as a coordinator- is very light."

The hire of Mike Smith may well end in failure but it is a bold, courageous choice because it is one that is not an easy sell to the media. It is one with ZERO PR value. The payoff, should one exist, is a year or more down the road. This is a long view hire, not a short term quick fix. Dimitroff gets ONE mulligan at most and then his job is on the line. He could have taken the easy road and selected the guy that would have most pleased Steak Shapiro (Spagnuolo) or Terrence Moore (Singletary). That at least would have given him cover with them if the coach bombed. Instead he put his reputation on the line immediately. He took the guy he believed was the best choice as a football coach.

The fact that the dolts in the media are skeptical should be seen as a positive sign.

If you want to see true idiocy read up on the Redskins carnival to replace Joe Gibbs with Jim Fassell.

fsu_steve (1/25/2008)
For those of you who are saying "WTF...we hired a no name coordinator?"

Prior to getting the job where they would eventually win a Super Bowl:

Vince Lombardi, Hank Stram, Don McCafferty, John Madden, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Tom Flores, Mike Ditka, Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, George Seifert, Mike Holmgren, Brian Billick and Bill Cowher were professional coordinators or position coaches. None of them had ever been an NFL head coach before.

If you want to see true idiocy read up on the Redskins carnival to replace Joe Gibbs with Jim Fassell.

dude--what a great post!!! thats 2 in the last day or so. fsu_steve is "on fire"!

I am positive I read posts like this one when Pestinko was hired. "But wait everybody! Jimmy Johnson was a college coach tooooo!!"

The reality is that we hope Smith works out but he was an out of left field hire. He has zero head coaching experience at any level. He hired a college coach to be his DC and is on the verge of hiring one of the worst playcallers in football (Mularkey) as his OC. It is more than fair to question his credentials and his credibility.

keithbrooking56 (1/25/2008)
I am positive I read posts like this one when Pestinko was hired. "But wait everybody! Jimmy Johnson was a college coach tooooo!!"

The reality is that we hope Smith works out but he was an out of left field hire. He has zero head coaching experience at any level. He hired a college coach to be his DC and is on the verge of hiring one of the worst playcallers in football (Mularkey) as his OC. It is more than fair to question his credentials and his credibility.

Always a downer in the bunch! ;). I have to admit, Smith was about my third/fourth choice. I studied all of the candidates and thought that he didn't have a realistic shot. But we have a new coach and the only bright side we have to look forward to is a clean slate. I'm not high on Mularkey (I'm a secondary Dolphin fan...he stunk), or Van Gorder. However, I will reserve judgment and let this play out. The original post was a good one though.