The key to future success is not who the coach is but what kind of team Dimitroff assembles.

kennycaine

The key to whether or not the Falcons win a title rests not on a coaching hire, be it Mike Smith or whoever but what kind of team Dimitroff can assemble. Run the ball, stop the run is the formula but if you don't have players to control the line of scrimmage you can't do either. Dimitroff has to have the courage to make tough choices, and that may mean cutting some of your favorite players who some of you swear allegiance to such as Keith Brooking, Joe Horn, Todd Weiner, Michael Jenkins or whoever he sees fit to ax.

The bottom line is that teams that have won in the past, such as the 49ers (who didn't win more than 4-6 games under Steve Deberg before drafting Joe Montana and Dwight Clark in 79 and Ronnie Lott, Carlton Williamson, Eric Wright in 81 along with building across the offensive and defensive lines) or Pittsburgh (Bradshaw, Swann, Lambert, Greene, Greenwood, Harris, Webster, Blount) not to mention Dallas past (Staubach, Dorsett, White, Renfro, Hayes, Jones, Martin, Lewis,) middle (Aikmann, Smith, Irvin, Stepnowski, Wright, Allen, Norton, Sanders, Haley) and present (Romo, Owens, Adams, Ware, Barber, Witten, ect.)

Take the New England Patriots as an example. Scott Pioli has assembled talent that could play in any scheme, even one as flawed as Gregg Knapp's. Why? because they have TALENT and although emotion can win you a game (see the 2001 Patriots) you still have to have some talent to be in that position as well as remain there. As much credit as Belechick deserves, he was not assembling the team but was coaching players who Pioli found who fit the Patriot paradigm. I may not be enamored by the Mike Smith pick but unlike the Petrino pick last year which I was vehemently against, I have no such reservations (I do raise an eyebrow to the VanGorder pick as defensive coordinator as he did state "I love the college game and I just had to get back to it" as he accepted the position at South Carolina). Again, our future does not rest on the shoulders of Mike Smith rather one Thomas Dimitroff.

Well , it does take the players and the system , And the right Coach to lead it , but I do think that the talent is about 60% of the 3. In the past we've had the right system and Coachs, butwe have never had the right Players mainly in the Trenches, If we would have had good Trenches in 1998 , we would have won that game easly.

Personally I think that talent is closer to 75% of the equation given the sucesses of the teams that I mentioned in the preface. You can have all of the gimmick offenses that you want but as George Siefert clearly showed by winning a SuperBowl with the talent assembled by Carmen Policy of the 49ers and then going 1-15 with mediocre players as coach of the Carolina Panthers that talent makes suspect coaching look brilliant and so-so players expose frauds hiding behind talent. Also see the 95 Cowboys coached to a title by Pinnochio-coach Barry Switzer. As Jerry Jones said in the coversation overheard by Jimmy Johnson that led to Johnson resigning "My team is so talented that I could get anyone off the street to coach it." He was pretty much right, given Johnson's lack of success with lesser talent in Miami.

Smith and Dimitroff will work together to determine

what they need. Thomas liked Smith's interest in

personnel. They are going to work like no other

tandem in the NFL to prove they were the right

guys for their jobs. I think they will have a blast.

I hope they will get it right. Smith will be a much

better coach if they do.