VanGorder excerpt from Wikipedia.com

Negrodamus

From Wikipedia:

"VanGorder saw five of his players from Georgia Southern earn All Southern Conference honors in his lone season as the Head Coach of the Eagles in 2006. However, with a team loaded with talent coming off an 8-3 record and a trip to the playoffs, he only managed a 3-8 record, ending with a 5 game losing streak to close out the season. He also made the decision to keep future Walter Payton award winner Jayson Foster on the sidelines for most of the season and limited his participation in the offense. This was the worst record in Georgia Southern's history since prior to World War II and the worst season in the modern era since the program's revival by Erk Russell. Due to pressure from alumni and Boosters who were quite upset at the results of the season, especially after VanGorder eliminated important traditions and trashed the powerful option attack that had come to define GSU, he quit after one year and joined the Atlanta Falcons as Linebackers Coach."

All I'll say on this guy is, we'll see. :unsure:

josiah (1/24/2008)
From Wikipedia:

"VanGorder saw five of his players from Georgia Southern earn All Southern Conference honors in his lone season as the Head Coach of the Eagles in 2006. However, with a team loaded with talent coming off an 8-3 record and a trip to the playoffs, he only managed a 3-8 record, ending with a 5 game losing streak to close out the season. He also made the decision to keep future Walter Payton award winner Jayson Foster on the sidelines for most of the season and limited his participation in the offense. This was the worst record in Georgia Southern's history since prior to World War II and the worst season in the modern era since the program's revival by Erk Russell. Due to pressure from alumni and Boosters who were quite upset at the results of the season, especially after VanGorder eliminated important traditions and trashed the powerful option attack that had come to define GSU, he quit after one year and joined the Atlanta Falcons as Linebackers Coach."

We gotta give the Van Man a chance. Lets see who they bring in on defense and how they do this year. hope for the best. thats all fans can do.

what do you expect. he had the worst season they have had in over 60yrs. he thought he was ready for the HC job, but i guess he wasnt, so he quit AFTER THE SEASON WAS OVER.

Give the dude a chance, and remember he will be implementing smitty's system, and for the 1st few games will probably be just another assistant coach til he is ready to take over.

bossFALCON (1/24/2008)
josiah (1/24/2008)
From Wikipedia:

We gotta give the Van Man a chance. Lets see who they bring in on defense and how they do this year. hope for the best. thats all fans can do.

I am trying my best to be optimistic and I will of course give the guy a chance. Unfortunately during the offseason there is little else to do but pick apart every aspect of our ONCE AGAIN new coaching staffs' histories.

GEORGIAfan (1/24/2008)
what do you expect. he had the worst season they have had in over 60yrs. he thought he was ready for the HC job, but i guess he wasnt, so he quit AFTER THE SEASON WAS OVER.

Give the dude a chance, and remember he will be implementing smitty's system, and for the 1st few games will probably be just another assistant coach til he is ready to take over.

Of course I'll give him a chance. He's definitely leagues above Petrino in my book for not bolting mid-season.

At least we don't have to worry about him breaking tradition here. Heck, we don't have any tradition that I'm aware of.

Does anyone remember what was said about the Patriots when Romeo and Charlie left. It was the end of a dynasty. No team could possibly lose both OC and DC and be the same team that they were. (that statement is correct) THEY ARE BETTER!!!

Point is: Don't go overboard on the VanGorden hire. We tend to put too much stock into co-ordinators these days. I have a feeling that Smith will play a Belicheck roll in his defense. (in other words) VanGordon may just be the airen boy in Smith's system.

The Cush (1/24/2008)
What does it say for his track record as a DC? That's what he will be here. He'll have nothing to do with the offense, and I'll guarantee you he won't be keeping Norwood on the sidelines... :P

he did wonders at UGA.

look what what he did as a LB coach and a DC at UGA. that makes me want to keep this guy, plus mike smith knows what he is doing,so i bet that will just be a bonus.

Prior to his post at Georgia Southern, VanGorder coached linebackers for the Jacksonville Jaguars for one season in 2005. Through his help, the Jaguars finished the year ranked sixth in total defense.

From 2001-04, VanGorder served as a very successful Defensive Coordinator and Linebackers Coach at the University of Georgia. During those years, the Bulldogs posted a 42-10 record, won one Southeastern Conference title, two SEC East Division championships, captured three consecutive bowl games and posted three straight top 10 finishes in the national polls.

During his final season at Georgia in 2004, the 10-2 Bulldogs were ranked seventh in the final national poll as VanGorder's defense finished the season ranked eighth and ninth in scoring defense.

In 2003, VanGorder's defense ranked third nationally in scoring defense, fourth in total defense and sixth in passing defense. In turn, VanGorder received the Frank Boyles "Assistant Coach of the Year" award, which honors the nation's top assistant coach.

The 2002 season saw VanGorder's defense not only lead the SEC in scoring defense, but finish fourth nationally. The Bulldogs allowed only 31 points during the final seven games of the season on their way to eventually winning the Sugar Bowl and finishing third in the final national poll.

During VanGorder's first year as Defensive Coordinator at Georgia in 2001, the Bulldogs allowed just 18.9 points per game, ended up fifth in rushing defense and ranked 17th in scoring defense. For his coaching efforts, he was named the seventh recipient of the Valvoline Southern Sports Tonight "Assistant Coach of the Year".

During his Georgia tenure, six of VanGorder's players were selected in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft, including defensive tackle Jonathan Sullivan, safety Thomas Davis and defensive end David Pollack in the first round, and safety Sean Jones and line-backers Boss Bailey, as well as Odell Thurman in the second round.

GEORGIAfan (1/24/2008)
The Cush (1/24/2008)
What does it say for his track record as a DC? That's what he will be here. He'll have nothing to do with the offense, and I'll guarantee you he won't be keeping Norwood on the sidelines... :P

he did wonders at UGA.

look what what he did as a LB coach and a DC at UGA. that makes me want to keep this guy, plus mike smith knows what he is doing,so i bet that will just be a bonus.

Prior to his post at Georgia Southern, VanGorder coached linebackers for the Jacksonville Jaguars for one season in 2005. Through his help, the Jaguars finished the year ranked sixth in total defense.

From 2001-04, VanGorder served as a very successful Defensive Coordinator and Linebackers Coach at the University of Georgia. During those years, the Bulldogs posted a 42-10 record, won one Southeastern Conference title, two SEC East Division championships, captured three consecutive bowl games and posted three straight top 10 finishes in the national polls.

During his final season at Georgia in 2004, the 10-2 Bulldogs were ranked seventh in the final national poll as VanGorder's defense finished the season ranked eighth and ninth in scoring defense.

In 2003, VanGorder's defense ranked third nationally in scoring defense, fourth in total defense and sixth in passing defense. In turn, VanGorder received the Frank Boyles "Assistant Coach of the Year" award, which honors the nation's top assistant coach.

The 2002 season saw VanGorder's defense not only lead the SEC in scoring defense, but finish fourth nationally. The Bulldogs allowed only 31 points during the final seven games of the season on their way to eventually winning the Sugar Bowl and finishing third in the final national poll.

During VanGorder's first year as Defensive Coordinator at Georgia in 2001, the Bulldogs allowed just 18.9 points per game, ended up fifth in rushing defense and ranked 17th in scoring defense. For his coaching efforts, he was named the seventh recipient of the Valvoline Southern Sports Tonight "Assistant Coach of the Year".

During his Georgia tenure, six of VanGorder's players were selected in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft, including defensive tackle Jonathan Sullivan, safety Thomas Davis and defensive end David Pollack in the first round, and safety Sean Jones and line-backers Boss Bailey, as well as Odell Thurman in the second round.

I can't knock what he did for our Dawgs. But we all know all too well how vastly different college success and NFL success are. I'm just a little leery, that's all.

I don't mean to be negative. I honestly have no clue how these recent hires will pan out. There is one thing I can rest assured of though: we can only get better from here!