Everyone Chill Out

UGA_DAWG46

i refuse to chill out on the idea of someone like mike mularkey being our OC. please show me valid statistics or info where mike mularkey has been able to win or turn around a franchise. im not slamming him personally but like the mike smith signing i would like someone here with great experience and experience in winning. mularkey, haslett, mooch, and so on need to stay far away from this franchise. im totally behind whoever they bring here but i will not give my support to those candidates at this time!

I third.....

Vangorder is a good coach. He was GREAT at UGA and did a good job w/ Falcons and Jags in first stint. He's an aggressive coach and will do well.

I do agree that its peculiar about taking the Gamecocks job and then bolting. Unlike Petrino, Van Gorder did not voluntarily leave Falcons - he did not have a job. Van Gorder's only mistake was being quoted as saying he's a "college" guy.

Its obvious Van Gorder prefers the pros - otherwise, why would he have left the UGA as DC to be LB coach for Jags...

Mularkey was very, very good at Pittsburgh as OC. Had mixed bag at Buffalo as HC but he did not have talent to work with.

UGA_DAWG46 (1/24/2008)
Everyone just need to chill out. Let's get behind our new staff and not bash it yet. As we rebuild our organization, we need to build a strong base as well. Get behind the staff and see how they will produce this season. Just wait... only time will tell.

Good luck Coach Smith.

You re going to always have those that dislike the decisions made by management so I suggest everyone just keep an open mind and no amount of hatred or love directed towards the new coaching staff will cloud your own judgment before we even get to see the team play.

You make alot of sense. However, look Green Bay staff. HC Mike McCarthy OC Joe Philbin and DC Bob Sanders. At the time, no one has any idea who those guy were. Look at them now. Have to stay optimistic. One thing I agree with you is Marlarkey might be a bad hire, but we have to give a chance.

twyntefour (1/24/2008)
.....but i will not give my support to those candidates at this time!
Gee, I guess they'll have to find a way to struggle on without you.....(sarcasm off).

I was just listening to Mike Smith on 680. I could hardly hear it as it was fading out badly. I did hear him say that they were looking at a number of candidates for OC. He said he could not give specific names, but someone should be named shortly. I will also be behind the new OC, but I must admit looking at Mularkey's resume doesn't create great excitement.

With all of the names going around for DC, the Van Gorder hiring did surprise me. Coach Smith, on the interview, completely stood behind Brian. He did work with him in Jax, and said he had great respect for him. One encouraging item I read on espn.com today was the fact that Van Gorder was also a candidate for the DC job in Jax. This is 2 HC's, Smith and Del Rio who have worked with Van Gorder who wanted him as DC. He must have been quite competent for the Jags.