I wouldn't mind the VanGordor hire, but in the press conference Mike Smith said the defensive coordinator will be calling the plays and not him.

southga08

This is where I have a problem. Didn't we hire Smith in part because he called the plays for Jax for the last 5 years as DC? He said he called the plays not Del Rio. But yet he is going to let VanGorder (who in his 20 years of coaching experience, has only 2 years of coaching in the NFL) call the plays for this team. If we were going to hire a head coach in part because he could go ahead and get a better staff, I am pretty sure we could have gotten this cat 'VanGordor" two weeks from now.

I am usually an optimist. I like the TD hire. I like the Smith hire. But something about this just seems 'not right'.

The defense is settled the week before the game. Game time plays are a matter of read and react. The art of calling blitzes is not as difficult as the art of calling offensive plays. Defenders on the field free lance much more than the offense.

I am not worried. Smith will have the D ready for game time. Van G will do just fine, as long as he is a good teacher.