Why I think VanGorder makes sense

As a long term UGA fan I have mixed emotions about Brian VanGorder. I know he has done a lot of job jumping the last few years and he did leave UGA with rumors that he had some disgareements with UGA's recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner about helping with recruiting.

He is very much a fiery football coach though and he rubs some people the wrong way although he seemed well like by his players. He was very good at getting his defenses ready to play and under him I think UGA's defense had better energy and fundamentals. I think he will do very well and getting our guys ready to play.

Now his weakness is that it's always been said he's not an X's and O's guy. I've heard it said that with Georgia that VanGorder was the heart and Willie Martinez was the brains behind the defense. Here I think Coach Smith will take a very heavy role schemin gthe defense. I think he and VanGorder have run similar defenses throughout their careers and they'll mesh very well. I wouldn't be surprised if in reality VanGorder was really more of a coach than a coordinator.

The other thing about VanGorder is that he has upset a lot of people job hopping. Well he's an NFL defensive coordinator now and he's close to home. The only way he's getting a better job is to be an NFL head coach or a head coach at a major college program. It's not happening soon. He won't jump ship now that this is probably the best job he can get. The only way he would leave is if he failed at it.

The guy has strengths and weaknesses but I think he suits our purposes. Let's not forget that our head coach has a reputation as being a fine defensive coordinator.

Dr John Zoidberg (1/24/2008)
Everyone is going to say I am biased because I went to Georgia Southern and I agree.

However I will also contend that UGA guys are also biased.

It seems UGA guys seem to favor the move while us Georgia Southern guys don't really like it.

What do people that are not either think?

Georgia fans have mixed emotions about VanGorder. A few years ago losing him was considered a huge blow, but I think I was fairly objective about him in terms of what he is and what he is not. I know I spend a lot of time on Dawgvent with Georgia fans and it's not like everyone is dancing a jig the Falcons hired him except for maybe the fact that South Carolina lost him.

Everyone is going to say I am biased because I went to Georgia Southern and I agree.

It seems UGA guys seem to favor the move while us Georgia Southern guys don't really like it.

Big thing to remember... UGA fans seen him as a DC, GS fans saw him as a HC. He will be a DC here.

I'm neither, but if I had to pick one, I'd pull for UGA just because my wife went there, and I love her and she cooks for me and well... you know...

But I don't like the hire. It's nothing specifically personal against him (more collectively) it's more against the FO, for not getting Rivera or throwing enough dough at Zimmer (although I understand Statick's point about 2 DC Smith and whoever, clashing helmets). I don't know, I'm more willing to give him the benefit of a doubt than you are Dr. Z, but I'm just very wary of what may happen to our defense after they seemed to be getting on the right track this year.

classic city falcon (1/24/2008)
As a long term UGA fan I have mixed emotions about Brian VanGorder. I know he has done a lot of job jumping the last few years and he did leave UGA with rumors that he had some disgareements with UGA's recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner about helping with recruiting.

He is very much a fiery football coach though and he rubs some people the wrong way although he seemed well like by his players. He was very good at getting his defenses ready to play and under him I think UGA's defense had better energy and fundamentals. I think he will do very well and getting our guys ready to play.

Now his weakness is that it's always been said he's not an X's and O's guy. I've heard it said that with Georgia that VanGorder was the heart and Willie Martinez was the brains behind the defense. Here I think Coach Smith will take a very heavy role schemin gthe defense. I think he and VanGorder have run similar defenses throughout their careers and they'll mesh very well. I wouldn't be surprised if in reality VanGorder was really more of a coach than a coordinator.

The other thing about VanGorder is that he has upset a lot of people job hopping. Well he's an NFL defensive coordinator now and he's close to home. The only way he's getting a better job is to be an NFL head coach or a head coach at a major college program. It's not happening soon. He won't jump ship now that this is probably the best job he can get. The only way he would leave is if he failed at it.

The guy has strengths and weaknesses but I think he suits our purposes. Let's not forget that our head coach has a reputation as being a fine defensive coordinator.

I went to Georgia Southern and UGA, and while I'm not doing cartwheels over VanGorder's hire. I dont think it's a bad one at all. The guy ruined the offensive side of the ball at Southern. But I'm not about to let that cloud the fact that he's a **** of a defensive mind, and defensive motivator.

I think it's completely obvious that he is no where near Head Coach material. But I think he's a very good defensive coordinator prospect for the NFL, and has been for a while.