Urban Meyer should pay if he broke recruiting rules.

SacFalcFan

Urban Meyer should pay if he broke recruiting rules

Mike Bianchi | SPORTS COMMENTARY

Now we know why Urban Meyer is such a great recruiter.

Because he doesn't just offer scholarships to players.

He apparently offers scholarships to their girlfriends, too.

As you would expect, there's been much consternation on the recruiting message boards in recent days about Meyer's controversial and potentially illicit recruitment of star junior college wide receiver Carl Moore and -- here's the juicy part -- his girlfriend, Maranda Smith. There are reports that Moore likely wasn't going to attend UF unless Smith -- a gymnast who had competed for UCLA in 2006 but quit because of an injury -- came to Gainesville, too.

Can you guess what happened next? That's right, Meyer reportedly contacted the girlfriend, he contacted UF gymnastics Coach Rhonda Faehn and -- voila! -- Moore and Smith are both on scholarship and already enrolled at UF.

In fairness, Smith was one of the top high school gymnasts in the country and could have signed with other collegiate gymnastics teams. She even competed in a meet this past weekend when the No. 1-ranked Gators met No. 2-ranked Georgia. But let's be honest, shall we? This is college football recruiting we're talking about. Smith could have been Tony Siragusa in drag and probably would have been given a scholarship to UF.

Moore, after all, is considered the No. 1 junior-college prospect in the country. He's a 6-foot-4, 220-pound wide receiver who runs a 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds. "A freak," according to Jamie Newberg, a national recruiting analyst for Scout.com.

It's no wonder Meyer recruited Moore to be a UF football player. But the question everyone wants to know is: What business did Meyer have recruiting Moore's girlfriend to be a UF gymnast?

Obviously, it wasn't because he was impressed with her back handspring. In fact, I'd love to hear Meyer's recruiting pitch to Smith. I'm betting it went something like this:

Meyer: "Can you do a cartwheel?"

Smith: "Yes."

Meyer: "Say no more -- full ride!"

What is it about gymnasts being involved in the football recruiting process? A few years ago, the NCAA investigated a relationship between Pompano Beach high school All-America defensive lineman Corey Simon and Georgia gymnast Leah Brown. Although the Bulldogs were eventually cleared, Simon got out of his Georgia scholarship and wound up at Florida State.

Usually, the general rule of thumb is all is fair in love, war and college football recruiting, but not when there are concerns that Meyer may have broken some legitimate NCAA rules. Last week, in a story published in the Gainesville Sun, Smith said she talked with Meyer "every day back in November when he was recruiting Carl [Moore]. He kept asking how Carl was doing and [he] wanted me to come [to UF] and do gymnastics."

If this is true, Meyer potentially broke two rules: (1) Coaches from one sport aren't usually authorized to recruit athletes from other sports and (2) For most of November, football coaches aren't allowed to phone potential recruits more than once a week.

UF officials are looking into this matter and hoping Smith was simply exaggerating when she told the Sun that Meyer contacted her "every day." Maybe there was some exaggeration, but does anybody really doubt Meyer pushed the envelope right to edge and maybe over it?

Meyer is consumed with recruiting. He contacts anybody and everybody whom he believes can give him an inside track with a star prospect. Don't forget, Meyer is pretty much the one who got text-messaging banned by the NCAA.

"It doesn't surprise me that he [Meyer] would contact a recruit's girlfriend," Newberg says. "That's the recruiting business. When you're recruiting, you recruit mothers, fathers, grandmothers, girlfriends -- anybody who is close to the kid."

One of the things that make Meyer such a phenomenal recruiter is that he works every angle. If it meant getting a star recruit, he'd promise the kid's father a spot on the UF golf team. If a stud recruit were really close to his grandmother, Meyer would offer granny a knitting scholarship ("What, no knitting team? We'll start one if your grandson becomes a Gator.")

Meyer's zeal for recruiting is all well and good -- as long as it's being done within the rules. If it's not then somebody needs to have the guts to give UF's coaching prodigy a reprimand and a firm slap on the wrist.

There's no question Urban Meyer is a great college football coach. He has the Gators once again poised to haul in one of the premier recruiting classes in the country.

"We have Meyer's class in our top three," confirms Barton Simmons, a recruiting analyst for Rivals.com.

But in what sport -- football or gymnastics?

Mike Bianchi can be reached at mbianchi@orlandosentinel.com.

I don't understand why Urban Meyer did this. Carl Moore's girlfriend is one of the best gymnasts in the nation who probably could have signed with any school in the country, why did Urban go outside of the rules to get her a scholarship? She probably could have have walked onto the team @ Florida and EARNED one for herself.

Pretty **** stupid if you ask me, hopefully he gets fined.

Oh how I would love to see UF penalized severily but realistically it shouldn't be more than a slap on the hand at most. If she was already considered a talented athlete beforehand then its not a stretch for her to get a scholarship from UF to do what she is good at. You call call him a little dirty but I wouldn't say hes a cheat just for that incident. Then again I'm not the NCAA and I'll FULLY GO ALONG with ANY penalty they feel is necessary for Florida.:D

UF review: Smith changes her story; Tebow might be involved?

A couple Thursday morning developments in the Urban Meyer-Carl Moore-Maranda Smith situation being reviewed by Florida's athletics officials:

**The blog State of Miami and The Wizard of Odds found a December story from that Sacramento Bee that describes Meyer calling Moore from the Heisman Trophy ceremony in New York City and handing the phone to Tebow. Tim, minutes after winning the award, made a quick recruiting pitch to Moore.

If accurate, the situation violates part of NCAA bylaw 13.02.5, which prohibits student-athletes to contact or speak with recruits when directed by coaches. If Tebow had called Moore on his own, everything would be kosher. But Meyer's involvement makes things problematic. Figure on this possible violation being included in the UF compliance department investigation.

Here's a link to the Sac Bee story:

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/575063.html

**Maranda Smith spoke with the Miami Herald, and her comments, printed in Thursday's editions of the Herald, were far different than what she told the Gainesville Sun and WCJB-TV 20 earlier in the month. She said her earlier comments were an exaggeration, and that she, not Meyer broached the idea of participating in gymnastics at UF. Smith also said she first contacted UF gymnastics coach Rhonda Faehn last February about transferring to Florida.

Here's a snippet from Joe Goodman's Herald story:

''[Meyer] never called me personally,'' Smith said. 'Carl sometimes didn't have his phone or his phone would get cut off. So, he had given Coach Meyer my number and [Moore told Meyer], `If you call my number and I don't answer or it goes to voice mail, call Maranda because I'll be with her more than likely,' and that's how he got a hold of Carl

Now, her comments published in the Jan. 16 Gainesville Sun:

''I used to talk to him every day back in November when he was recruiting Carl,'' Smith said. ``He kept asking how Carl was doing, and [he] wanted me to come here and do gymnastics.''

Little bit of a contradiction there. We'll see how this plays out.

But while were at it....

Today I had a workout at my school for Georgia s offensive coordinator, Eugene Smith said. I ve talked to Chip Kelly (Oregon OC and QB Coach) and a lot of coaches from other schools. I m just really open-minded right now as far selecting colleges.

Eugene Smith of Miramar is one of the best quarterbacks in the state of Florida in the recruiting class of 2009.

The coaches are not supposed to have any, zero, nada, contact with juniors right now.

Jgator2113 (1/25/2008)
But while were at it....

Today I had a workout at my school for Georgia s offensive coordinator, Eugene Smith said. I ve talked to Chip Kelly (Oregon OC and QB Coach) and a lot of coaches from other schools. I m just really open-minded right now as far selecting colleges.

Eugene Smith of Miramar is one of the best quarterbacks in the state of Florida in the recruiting class of 2009.

The coaches are not supposed to have any, zero, nada, contact with juniors right now.

I have read plenty of junior updates where coaches from schools such as florida, auburn, and uga are going to schools and talk to kid's coaches. They can't talk to the recruits, but they can talk to their coaches. What you posted above only talks about the oregon coach talking to the recruit which is a no no.. However as he said a bunch of coaches were there watching the work that was being done and that is not a violation. However it is a violation to call a recruit and get a player such as tebow on the phone to talk to a recruit. That we know is a clear violation and meyer knows that. We have seen another coach get away with this and his name is carroll (getting reggie bush on the phone to speak with joe mcknight, funny how that was dropped).

SacFalcFan (1/25/2008)

What you posted above only talks about the oregon coach talking to the recruit which is a no no.. However as he said a bunch of coaches were there watching the work that was being done and that is not a violation.

Except for the very first quote that he said he specifically worked out for UGA's offensive coordinator. That's absolutely a violation and there's no way to explain that off. He didn't say anyone else was there, it was obviously a private workout...

capologist (1/25/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/25/2008)

What you posted above only talks about the oregon coach talking to the recruit which is a no no.. However as he said a bunch of coaches were there watching the work that was being done and that is not a violation.

Except for the very first quote that he said he specifically worked out for UGA's offensive coordinator. That's absolutely a violation and there's no way to explain that off. He didn't say anyone else was there, it was obviously a private workout...

He said he was working out and georgia's offensive coordinator was there. He didn't say Mike Bobo came and talked to me and asked me to do a private workout for him. He also didn't say when that occurred. You do realize right that a bunch of these kids have come for camps at georgia already. Mike Bobo is also traveling around meeting coaches and seeing kids workout. That is not a violation and no matter how you want to spin it that is a fact. I have also seen qb after qb who has said during interviews "i know i can't talk to mike bobo now, but he talked to my coach and was impressed with my workout.".. Again not a violation. Also I am sure since jgator does what he does and he has a link to his article, he can pursue it and when we see an article in the ajc and hear it mentioned on cowherd's show and have it all over the national boards then we can create a thread on it like this one when we will have actual information on this other than a statement being taken out of context.

Jgator2113 (1/25/2008)
Nothing will come of this. Even if true its minor secondary violation.

Here is where we agree. Even if the ncaa does find that it was a violation of rules, it most likely won't affect carl moore's elgibility so that isn't a concern for florida and it will be a secondary violation that will just be added to their yearly secondary violation's list that each team turns in to the ncaa. Nonetheless this didn't even need to be a violation. It should have been handled better. This wasn't a one phone call mistake. This was a length of time this was being handled.

SacFalcFan (1/25/2008)

He said he was working out and georgia's offensive coordinator was there. He didn't say Mike Bobo came and talked to me and asked me to do a private workout for him. He also didn't say when that occurred. You do realize right that a bunch of these kids have come for camps at georgia already. Mike Bobo is also traveling around meeting coaches and seeing kids workout. That is not a violation and no matter how you want to spin it that is a fact. I have also seen qb after qb who has said during interviews "i know i can't talk to mike bobo now, but he talked to my coach and was impressed with my workout.".. Again not a violation. Also I am sure since jgator does what he does and he has a link to his article, he can pursue it and when we see an article in the ajc and hear it mentioned on cowherd's show and have it all over the national boards then we can create a thread on it like this one when we will have actual information on this other than a statement being taken out of context.

Until it's proven otherwise, I'm also not going to just assume that it's not a violation either and to do so is the same "spinning" you are accusing others of. If it happened at the high school, arranged as a private workout recently then it is a violation. If it happened at a camp or something then it isn't.

So far all I've seen is a bunch of speculation on either issue brought up and until either present something concrete, it's a whole bunch of nothing...

capologist (1/25/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/25/2008)

Until it's proven otherwise, I'm also not going to just assume that it's not a violation either and to do so is the same "spinning" you are accusing others of. If it happened at the high school, arranged as a private workout recently then it is a violation. If it happened at a camp or something then it isn't.

So far all I've seen is a bunch of speculation on either issue brought up and until either present something concrete, it's a whole bunch of nothing...

LOL.. Oh please. Again show me where he said "Coach Bobo talked to me and asked me to do a private workout.". Tell me when this happened. Tell me the circumstances. You added a bunch of stuff to a small part of a comment and you want to say you aren't spinning it. You can take that comment very clearly on what he said, Bobo was there when he was working out. Again that is NOT a violation. Also you may actually want to read the thing jgator posted, he wasn't posting it about uga's coach bobo, he was posting it about oregon's coach talking to the recruit.. LOL

Jgator2113 (1/25/2008)
For clarification, the clipping I possted was more of a shot at the Oregon coach than UGA or anyone else. There is nothing that can be taken from that text to say he spoke to anyone but the.The Oregon coach is the only one who looks bad so far.

Thanks for the clarification. :) I love it with every update I see on scout and rivals regarding uga coaches going to schools it is always noted by the recruit "rodney garner, mike bobo, or etc could't talk to me so they talked to my coach." By the way you guys have a heck of an assortment of talent coming for your jr day this weekend.

An update to the story:

Tim Tebow's name surfaces in Florida recruiting investigation

A newspaper report says the UF QB talked with a recruit after winning the Heisman.

Dave Curtis | Sentinel Staff Writer

January 25, 2008

GAINESVILLE - Gators quarterback Tim Tebow on Thursday entered the talk around UF's internal review of Coach Urban Meyer's recruitment of junior-college wide receiver Carl Moore.

A December report in the Sacramento Bee indicates that Moore spoke with Tebow on the telephone the night the UF quarterback won the Heisman Trophy in New York. The report states Moore was at his family's residence in California when he received the call.

"Carl!" Tebow yelled into the phone, according to the report. "I just won the Heisman! Come on down here [to Florida], and let's win a national championship."

The article states that the call was placed by Coach Urban Meyer, who then handed the phone to Tebow. Such a move would violate a portion of NCAA Bylaw 13, which states that college athletes cannot speak to recruits by telephone when directed to by their coaches.

If Tebow placed the call, or Moore phoned Tebow, or Moore phoned Meyer and asked to speak with Tebow, the call likely would be legal. The Gainesville Sun, citing a source on its Web site Thursday, reported that Meyer believes Moore called Tebow after the trophy presentation.

Moore, Tebow and Meyer could not be reached for comment Thursday.

The circumstances surrounding the call could become part of the internal review led by Florida senior associate athletics director for compliance Jamie McCloskey. McCloskey and his staff are determining whether Meyer committed any violations, most of which would be minor, as he recruited Moore to sign with the Gators. The recruitment of first-year UF gymnast Maranda Smith, Moore's girlfriend, also falls under the review.

McCloskey said Tuesday that the review, which will include a check of telephone records and several personal interviews, might take a few weeks.

SacFalcFan (1/25/2008)

LOL.. Oh please. Again show me where he said "Coach Bobo talked to me and asked me to do a private workout.". Tell me when this happened. Tell me the circumstances. You added a bunch of stuff to a small part of a comment and you want to say you aren't spinning it. You can take that comment very clearly on what he said, Bobo was there when he was working out. Again that is NOT a violation. Also you may actually want to read the thing jgator posted, he wasn't posting it about uga's coach bobo, he was posting it about oregon's coach talking to the recruit.. LOL

Did you miss the part where I said "it's all speculation on EITHER ISSUE". I haven't added ANYTHING. What I did do is put forth two scenarios, one of which would be a violation and the other would not be. Am I curious under what circumstances he worked out specifically for Bobo? Sure, I am. So you can "oh please" it all you want but it doesn't change the fact that I'm sitting squarely in the middle until I know the whole story...

capologist (1/25/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/25/2008)

Did you miss the part where I said "it's all speculation on EITHER ISSUE". I haven't added ANYTHING. What I did do is put forth two scenarios, one of which would be a violation and the other would not be. Am I curious under what circumstances he worked out specifically for Bobo? Sure, I am. So you can "oh please" it all you want but it doesn't change the fact that I'm sitting squarely in the middle until I know the whole story...

You missed the part that there is an issue with 1. Carl Moore and possibly 2. Oregon coach talking to a kid. There is no other issue. There is no speculation about anything else, but the above. No I don't care how he worked out at his school. That isn't an issue at all. Jgator was clear that the issue had to do with oregon coach talking to the qb. End of story. If there was any other issue he would have stated it. You are right we should wait to see what comes of the oregon coach talking to the recruit and the carl moore recruiting.

Andrew (1/25/2008)
Uh oh, now Tebow is part of another situation? Now its starting to get pathetic down there at the UF. Still, nothing really big but come on, all these little things are starting to add up. What kind of shin dig are you guys running down there?

Nothing different than yours I'm pretty certain...

SacFalcFan (1/25/2008)

You missed the part that there is an issue with 1. Carl Moore and possibly 2. Oregon coach talking to a kid. There is no other issue. There is no speculation about anything else, but the above. No I don't care how he worked out at his school. That isn't an issue at all. Jgator was clear that the issue had to do with oregon coach talking to the qb. End of story. If there was any other issue he would have stated it. You are right we should wait to see what comes of the oregon coach talking to the recruit and the carl moore recruiting.

Really? There's no speculation of anything else? Then when was that workout if you know for a fact there's no speculation?

Better yet, why don't you ask Jgator what he's questioning instead of assuming it. He never said which part he's questioning in the post or anything afterwards. That is pure assumption on your part. I'm not being sarcastic on any of this (although it could be read as such), I just happen to know a little bit about the quote is all...

capologist (1/25/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/25/2008)

Really? There's no speculation of anything else? Then when was that workout if you know for a fact there's no speculation?

Better yet, why don't you ask Jgator what he's questioning instead of assuming it. He never said which part he's questioning in the post or anything afterwards. That is pure assumption on your part. I'm not being sarcastic on any of this (although it could be read as such), I just happen to know a little bit about the quote is all...

I will post the same thing above because obviously you didn't get it. You missed the part that there is an issue with 1. Carl Moore and possibly 2. Oregon coach talking to a kid. There is no other issue. There is no speculation about anything else, but the above. No I don't care how he worked out at his school. That isn't an issue at all. Jgator was clear that the issue had to do with oregon coach talking to the qb. End of story. If there was any other issue he would have stated it. You are right we should wait to see what comes of the oregon coach talking to the recruit and the carl moore recruiting. Okay now read that again and say something that I didn't already answer. Also if you did actually read the posts above you would see what jgator was talking about. It's pretty easy how about go above and read the posts. He said clearly what he is questioning. So since you know the only issue regarding that quote (LOL) what did he talk to the oregon coach about? Since that's the issue jgator was bringing up. So what is your personal knowledge of that issue? :rolleyes:

A good article from Bruce Feldman from espn.

Bruce Feldman on Meyer

Meyer at center of controversy

Another day, another story about Urban Meyer's alleged sketchy recruiting tactics.

The latest uproar involves blue-chip junior college receiver Carl Moore, a 6-foot-4, 225-pounder from Sierra College in California. Many coaches figured he was a sure thing for USC, but Moore ended up committing to Florida. Just what sold him on the Gators is where everything gets murky.

Word got out that Moore was coming to UF as a package deal with his girlfriend, Maranda Smith, a gymnast. Smith, who broke her leg in 2006 while competing for UCLA, was getting a gymnastics scholarship. Her recruitment was pretty intriguing because apparently Meyer had been talking to her, too.

"I used to talk to him every day back in November when he was recruiting Carl," Smith told the Gainesville Sun. "He kept asking how Carl was doing, and [he] wanted me to come here and do gymnastics."

That quote touched off a storm of controversy on the Internet. According to NCAA rules, a football coach can't recruit for another sport. Worse still, a school can't call a recruit more than once a week unless it is during one of the NCAA's contact periods, where a staff is allowed unlimited calls. This wasn't one of those times. That led to reports that there was an "investigation" going on at Florida into Carl Moore's recruitment.

On Wednesday evening, Smith tried to clarify the situation, saying her comments to the Sun were an exaggeration and that she didn't talk with Meyer "every day."

"[Meyer] never called me personally," Smith told the Miami Herald. 'Carl sometimes didn't have his phone or his phone would get cut off. So, he had given Coach Meyer my number and [Moore told Meyer], 'If you call my number and I don't answer or it goes to voice mail, call Maranda because I'll be with her more than likely,' and that's how he got a hold of Carl."

You can call it setting the record straight or call it damage control. Don't expect any harsh penalties to follow. The school's investigation isn't as rigorous as it sounds. In fact, such investigations go on at schools all across the country at this time of year. >From working on "Meat Market", I learned that university compliance directors have to check out all kinds of rumors and reports. In this case, the school reviewed Meyer's phone records. Sources say they revealed Meyer placed three calls to Smith.

How egregious is this? At worst, it's a secondary violation. Actually, it is not uncommon for a recruiter to develop a phone relationship with a prospect's girlfriend. It's no different than when they buddy up to the player's best friend. Anything to help get them in. The difference here, though, is that Smith was offered a scholarship. This kind of thing will give the NCAA brass headaches just because they don't want schools to lure football players by also offering up a package deal for his cross-country running girlfriend, even if she hasn't competed since ninth grade.

One college administrator I spoke with said this is delving into some uncharted waters for the NCAA rule book. Recruiters can call a prospect's coach as much as they want, but can't do that when it's a player's family member. "The NCAA might have to write more legislation," he said. "Just as they had to alter things in the wake of the Willie Williams deal."

I'm pretty sure if this didn't involve Urban Meyer it wouldn't be getting any of the attention it got. Only a handful of other coaches might've sparked such a frenzy. Part of that reason is Meyer's 2006 national championship and his string of highly rated recruiting classes. However, the other side of that is Meyer being linked to a lot of negative recruiting stories.

A few weeks earlier there was a story from an Internet recruiting site quoting Darryl Stonum, a Michigan recruit, on a conversation with Meyer: "He told me that he talked to Coach [Lloyd] Carr and Coach Soup [Erik Campbell] and that they told him that I would be a much better fit in the Florida offense than I would be in the one at Michigan. I thought, wow, my coaches are selling me out? I confronted them about it. I asked Coach Carr and Coach Soup about it and they said they never talked to that guy and that there was no way they ever said anything like that and that they think I should be a Wolverine. I believed them. Right then, I knew just how Florida rolled."

Then, there was the New Orleans Times-Picayune story about Patrick Johnson, Scouts Inc.'s top-ranked cornerback who was headed to LSU, but got held up after his ACT was flagged by the NCAA. "Florida made an issue about the ACT score," Johnson said. "They're cowards. They had to go behind my back. But that's OK. We play them this year (on Oct. 11 at Florida)."

While working on "Meat Market" a few years ago, I spoke to one-time UF recruit Jevan Snead and his high school coach. They told a story about Snead getting alarmed when he saw a TV segment on Tim Tebow after noticing Meyer in attendance. Problem was, Meyer had told Snead, committed at the time, that he was the only quarterback they were going after. When Snead asked Meyer about it, Meyer responded, "We are recruiting him for linebacker."

Last night, I was e-mailed a December Sacramento Bee story that explains how Meyer was at the Heisman Trophy presentation in New York with Tebow and dialed up Moore right after his QB won the trophy.

According to the Bee story, Meyer handed the cell phone to Tebow. "Carl!" the Florida quarterback practically yelled to the Sierra College receiver planted on his mother's couch near Placerville, "I just won the Heisman! Come on down here, and let's win a national championship!"

Such a call would be a recruiting violation, but it's only a secondary violation, which means almost nothing. What it will, and I'm sure already has done, is lead to rival recruiters using the specter of a supposed NCAA investigation of Florida against the Gators.

If you're not a Gator fan, it probably makes you sick that Meyer negative recruits. The truth is all college coaches do. Most don't like to admit it and will try and couch it as just laying out the facts. But they do. There's no rule against it. Right now, Meyer's on top. I'm sure almost every other coach in the country would like to have his problems.