We pretty much are a lock to take

d34ng3l021

d34ng3l021, I think a "lock to take" is probably a bit strong.

First, we are going to have to win the pick. Oakland arguably has a

bigger need at Under Tackle than the Falcons do with the retirement

of Warren Sapp. Also, I'd think we must believe we can get our future

Left Tackle with the 2nd pick, assuming our scouts, coaching staff, and

front office project Long at Left Tackle. I'd also say, if McFadden is on

the board at our pick, in my opinion, it would be pretty hard for a new

GM to overlook considering our situation at running back.

Guest Libid21
totalbirdbrain (1/24/2008)
d34ng3l021, I think a "lock to take" is probably a bit strong.

First, we are going to have to win the pick. Oakland arguably has a

bigger need at Under Tackle than the Falcons do with the retirement

of Warren Sapp. Also, I'd think we must believe we can get our future

Left Tackle with the 2nd pick, assuming our scouts, coaching staff, and

front office project Long at Left Tackle. I'd also say, if McFadden is on

the board at our pick, in my opinion, it would be pretty hard for a new

GM to overlook considering our situation at running back.

Oakland would draft Darren McFadden if they won that draft pick.

I would love it but I say the players are more fit for the 4-3

although a 3-4 of

LE: Rod Coleman NT:Sedrick Ellis RE:Jamaal Anderson

OLB: John Abraham MLB:Johnathon Goff MLB: Keith Brooking OLB: Michael Boley

LCB: Deangelo Hall FS:Jimmy Williams SS: Lawyer Milloy RCB:Chris Houston

Looks good on paper and with the only real rertirement risks being Brooking, Milloy, and possibly Coleman (if injuries continue) if we could keep the others together money wise we could be a top defense for years.

By lock I meant as close to a lock as possible right now.

Ellis measured at 6'1" 308lbs. That is good enough for a NT in the 4-3. You wont be mistaking him for a Pat Williams or Grady Jackson, but I think he will do his job in plugging the holes and penetrating the backfield.

nothing is a lock, a lot could change after FA. it looks like we could bring back g.jackson so that could change are draft plans also. also say we signed shaun rodgers, so like i said a lot can change from now till draft. i would love if atlanta drafted ellis and the way smith ran the jags de i would agree that dl is on the top of are list.

my question is why does everyone feel we need a large NT and small UT?

We just need 2 DTs. Our scheme will change some, and the defensive responsibilities will too. I would love to get Dorsey in here (or Ellis), but I dont know if I would rather have Lewis or Babinueax next to them (or to roll the dice on a beat up Coleman). Both the young guys have improved over their time in the NFL, and both could be effective starters IMO.

1989fan (1/25/2008)
my question is why does everyone feel we need a large NT and small UT?

We just need 2 DTs. Our scheme will change some, and the defensive responsibilities will too. I would love to get Dorsey in here (or Ellis), but I dont know if I would rather have Lewis or Babinueax next to them (or to roll the dice on a beat up Coleman). Both the young guys have improved over their time in the NFL, and both could be effective starters IMO.

The DTs we have are backups at best , and we need starting quality DTS , and we can getthem in this draft . Let teh three we have fight for the 2 backup jobs . That's how I see it , i just think Colman's first interest is not his job any more , JMO.

Draftnut57 (1/25/2008)
The DTs we have are backups at best , and we need starting quality DTS , and we can getthem in this draft . Let teh three we have fight for the 2 backup jobs . That's how I see it , i just think Colman's first interest is not his job any more , JMO.

I agree about Coleman, but not so much about Trey Lewis and Babineaux. I know Lewis has alot to prove still, but he played at the level of a starter when he was in IMO. I also feel Babs is plenty good to be a starter. He still needs some refinement on his run game though.

I think Dorsey or Ellis next to Lewis with Babs coming in as a pass rusher could be our best option. I also wouldnt dismiss Patterson as a backup in the UT role. He was getting praises, but unfortunately got hurt real quick in camps last season.

Largely unrelated to this, I do think it's the time of year where we should start reminding one another that the presumed favorite to be the Falcons #1 pick has never been selected during the time of this message board. Few people expected Hall at that point (and I got flamed for locking in on him a month before the draft), only a couple of (impressive) folks called Roddy White in 2005 (most felt a DT was the selection), the Prince Mathias/Tamba Hali debate was the focus of 2006 (although Jimmy Williams was in the mix and we did wind up spending the #1 on a DE), and most folks were sure LaRon Landry was the guy in 07.

The runaway favorite is the guy we don't draft for the most part.