Mike Smith just convinced me to renew my season tickets!

BankerBird™

Just heard our new head coach say that defensively "it all starts up front and when you've got a strong front four, you can control the line of scrimmage and start to attack offenses." He went on to say that he believes "in an attacking style of defense" and that "the defensive schemes will be tailored to the players' strength and what they're good at doing."

That's all I needed to hear. Enough of this "fluff". This guy is about "Football 101": stop the run defensively, run the ball effectively to open up the passing game and you win games. Yeah, count me in for the Falcons 2008 season!

:D

falconsstomp (1/24/2008)
is it my imagination, but didnt zimmer say if not the same thing, something like that? being an so called "attack" defense..where was the attack at?

Trey Lewis and Rod Coleman is down with Jamaal Anderson being the other DE. You aren't going to get much "attack" with that lineup.

Depending on what the Falcons do in the Draft and Free Agency, the 2008 schedule is very favorable and this attacking style of defense that Smith is talking about implementing could very well pay off in the end, provided the defense gels as a unit and we can avoid any injuries to key players. What Smith is saying makes what to do about guys like Brooking and Milloy even more significant.

The Falcon Ace (1/24/2008)
falconsstomp (1/24/2008)
is it my imagination, but didnt zimmer say if not the same thing, something like that? being an so called "attack" defense..where was the attack at?

Trey Lewis and Rod Coleman is down with Jamaal Anderson being the other DE. You aren't going to get much "attack" with that lineup.

why is everyone so sold on trey lewis??i mean the kid did a couple of things that were good but to throw him in the starting line up is perposturous. i can see him rotating with rod, or a dorsey or shaun rogers (if we picked him up), but to be starting, naw, im just not convinced yet.

bankerbird (1/24/2008)

That's all I needed to hear. Enough of this "fluff". This guy is about "Football 101": stop the run defensively, run the ball effectively to open up the passing gameand you win games. Yeah, count me in for the Falcons 2008 season!

BB,

Throwing out every football cliche in the known universe sold you? To me talking about it is a long, long, ways from doing it.

Not sure yet as to 'who' the Falcons should draft, but if I can be so bold as to "read between the lines" of what Mike Smith said in his presser, he seems to be oriented to run the ball to set up opportunities to get the ball downfield. That tells me we need to look at getting a RB with some size in here and that Redman, who is a pretty good pocket QB, might go into training camp as the starter.

help me (1/24/2008)
bankerbird (1/24/2008)

That's all I needed to hear. Enough of this "fluff". This guy is about "Football 101": stop the run defensively, run the ball effectively to open up the passing gameand you win games. Yeah, count me in for the Falcons 2008 season!

BB,

Throwing out every football cliche in the known universe sold you?

No. The fact that he has a track record as an excellent defensive strategist is what sold me. I'm sick of these "bend, but don't break" defenses we've been looking at for the past few years. Ask the Steelers if the Jaguars D knows how to get after the QB. Mike Smith isn't some bank teller who's being hired as head coach; the guys knows about football and especially defensive football.

falconsstomp (1/24/2008)

yeah-but he wasn't the head coach...and the Petrino did have Dimitroff as the GM to evaluate the talent and bring in the right players. Please keep in prospective

Robert Miller (1/24/2008)
falconsstomp (1/24/2008)

yeah-but he wasn't the head coach...and the Petrino did have Dimitroff as the GM to evaluate the talent and bring in the right players. Please keep in prospective

Good post (especially that last part, which is what a LOT of people obviously are NOT doing.)

I too will be renewing my season tickets.

I know I'm silly, but I was sold by an intangible.

Arthur Blank sat still and spoke only when questioned. Thomas and Mike ran the show. To me, it s symbolic. I'm sure it was staged, but it was staged to make a point. The football guys are running the show now.

I also very much liked the fact that Thomas was kept on as assistant head coach. I'm a firm believer that change makes chaos unavoidable. I believe the Emmitt can be a bit of a stabilizing influence and someone that can serve as an ombudsman between the GM, HC and veteran players.

Petrino said they would attack offenses, stop the run, and run on offense as well.

I think it is common concept in the NFL. Lets hope we have a coach that can do what they say this time, because we all know with Petrino around we didnt do well in regards to running on either side of the ball.

Arthur Blank sat still and spoke only when questioned. Thomas and Mike ran the show. To me, it s symbolic. I'm sure it was staged, but it was staged to make a point. The football guys are running the show now.

I also very much liked the fact that Thomas was kept on as assistant head coach. I'm a firm believer that change makes chaos unavoidable. I believe the Emmitt can be a bit of a stabilizing influence and someone that can serve as an ombudsman between the GM, HC and veteran players.

Yeah, he is saying all the right things but the Vangorder thing scares me.

If he can't put the pads on and fill the A gap, rush the passer, or play 2-deep zone....this team is in trouble - regardless of what's said......

'The poster formerly known as Birdie'

'Former season-ticket holder' - 26 is up for grabs

'My QB is serving less than 12 mos. in Leavenworth'