How will the Mike Smith hiring effect our 1st pick?

Bloodhoundz

This isn't a shot at you or anything Blood, but I don't think the talent in the draft changes because we got a new headcoach. We are one of the few teams that could justify drafting any position, even DE which we addressed last year. Our talent board doesn't change, I don't believe, because a new coach was hired.

BigSlick (1/24/2008)
This isn't a shot at you or anything Blood, but I don't think the talent in the draft changes because we got a new headcoach. We are one of the few teams that could justify drafting any position, even DE which we addressed last year. Our talent board doesn't change, I don't believe, because a new coach was hired.

True, but another way to look at it is we're bad, old, or lack depth completely across the board. When given a clean slate like Mike Smith has, I'd think if no franchise QB or RB were available he'll start the new direction of the team with his bread and butter. Defense.

I m thrilled and excited to be the new Head Coach of the Atlanta Falcons, Smith said. My goal is to build a well-disciplined, hard-nosed football team that will be able to run the football on offense and stop the run on defense. I ve always believed that s what makes championship teams. --Mike Smith

I hope this means they are looking DT rather than McFadden. Unless he suddenly bulks up 15 lbs, we already have Norwood at the same weight of 205 and I haven't seen him hit guys as hard as Marion Barber did.

At the beginning of last year, I was looking forward to a more balanced passing offense. Obviously effective running has to be established before passing especially if a new QB is going to get worked in somewhere but I hope the passing game and guys like Roddy do not regress.

I am hoping for best player available in terms of top three needs but I think QB and WR are more than likely ruled out in the first.

hard to say, really. i think OL and DT are both deep positions. Given he likes to run the ball and stop the run, I would not be surprised if he went with what I would like to do...trade our 1st pick down 5-8 spots, pick up another 2nd rd pick, and take mendenhall or stewart in the 1st round. in the 2nd we would have 3 picks, and could take both an OT and a DT, as well as MLB. There are great prospects at all of those positions that will be there in the 2nd round. A lot of people are high on ellis and dorsey, but Moore from Maryland and the guy from UNC are both very promising DT's. We can then go FS and QB in rds 3/4.