LOL...VanGorder is already leaving South Carolina

jdu00743

http://www.gogamecocks.com/index.php/site/...to_the_falcons/

VanGorder leaving USC to return to Falcons

By Joseph Person

The State

Published: January 24, 2008

Of all the jobs Brian VanGorder has held in the past three years, his stint at USC turned out to be the shortest.

VanGorder, hired by Steve Spurrier on Dec. 19 as the Gamecocks' defensive coordinator, has told Spurrier he intends to leave USC to take the same post with new Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith, a source told The State today.

VanGorder worked with Smith with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2005, one of five jobs VanGorder has held since January 2005. VanGorder was the Falcons' linebackers coach this past season under Bobby Petrino, who bolted for Arkansas with three games remaining in the NFL season. Smith was hired by the Falcons on Wednesday.

Attempts to reach VanGorder for comment were unsuccessful.

:laugh: :laugh:

And that is why you are South Carolina.

You've got to be sh*tting me.

Nope, you're not.

Well, as a coach, he's money. Great teacher and motivator and knows how to utilize and assess his talent. As a person and decision-maker, he's grade A dog #####. Just my opinion.

@jdu... Why do you talk so much smack to SC fans? The one's I've tailgated with were all cool and respectful, win or lose. Some of the best fans in CF, IMO, considering the circumstances. The state and the university have done pretty much everything they can to build a winning program. What they lack is consistent home state talent, much like the state of Tennessee, and can't seem to pull enough in from the states with the great talent. Maybe they should learn from the UT boo$ter$ what it takes to bring in out-of-state blue chip recruits. ;)

Pulpwood Smith (1/24/2008)

Nope, you're not.

Well, as a coach, he's money. Great teacher and motivator and knows how to utilize and assess his talent. As a person and decision-maker, he's grade A dog #####. Just my opinion.

@jdu... Why do you talk so much smack to SC fans? The one's I've tailgated with were all cool and respectful, win or lose. Some of the best fans in CF, IMO, considering the circumstances. The state and the university have done pretty much everything they can to build a winning program. What they lack is consistent home state talent, much like the state of Tennessee, and can't seem to pull enough in from the states with the great talent. Maybe they should learn from the UT boo$ter$ what it takes to bring in out-of-state blue chip recruits. ;)

Some of the best fans in College football!!!!!! Yeah, right. The only WORSE fans I have been around in college football is NC State. They are the only game in town and their fans are absolutely delusional about the greatness of their team. They beat UGA and Clemson about two out of ten times yet consider themselves their equals. I think they have only 2 or 3 bowl game victories in the HISTORY of the program. The first did not occur until the 80's or 90's. Google up the criminal activity of their players under Holtz and Spurrier and you will be amazed.

The question should be why NOT talk smack to them! :)

help me (1/24/2008)

Nope, you're not.

Some of the best fans in College football!!!!!! Yeah, right. The only WORSE fans I have been around in college football is NC State. They are the only game in town and their fans are absolutely delusional about the greatness of their team. They beat UGA and Clemson about two out of ten times yet consider themselves their equals. I think they have only 2 or 3 bowl game victories in the HISTORY of the program. The first did not occur until the 80's or 90's. Google up the criminal activity of their players under Holtz and Spurrier and you will be amazed.

You're a Clemson fan. They're your state rival. Id be suprised if you didn't talk smack. When I said "best" I should have said "loyal". It fits the context of my point better.

First of all, VanGorder probably won't be the main defensive guy, that will probably be Smith, but VanGorder has enough defensive knowledge to know what he's doing. He also did a great job with the Falcon's linebackers last year, so that's a plus. I'm really interested in seeing who the OC will be.

But back to South Carolina. Oh wow. I can just picture Spurrier grinning over these past months with VanGordor as his DC, his closest thing to a threatening advantage over Georgia. But yet, just like that, it's gone. It's kinda like your friend letting you drive his new car for a few weeks, then your friend comes by one day and says, "I'm sorry dude, but I'm gonna let my other friend drive it now, just because."

I was just messing with them...I meant to edit it and put a :P thing afterwards, but for some reason, every time I try to edit it sends me to the login screen and then won't work.

I really like Gamecocknfire and Xnex on here, so I was just playing.

jdu00743 (1/24/2008)

I was just messing with them...I meant to edit it and put a :P thing afterwards, but for some reason, every time I try to edit it sends me to the login screen and then won't work.

I really like Gamecocknfire and Xnex on here, so I was just playing.

Thanks! :P

This one sucks badly. The guy must have really taken a liking to Petrino's job hopping habbit. I actually hate the fact that I am still going to be forced to hope he succeeds because he abandoned my college team to go BACK to my pro team. This guy is a real piece of work. Way, WAY to late to get a DC in here and save the prospects I'm sure we're going to lose.

I believe I even read somewhere about Spurrier specifically discussing his job hopping with him prior to hiring the guy. This is very very bad, and the timing could not be worse.

help me (1/24/2008)

Nope, you're not.

Yeah and Bowden only has choir boys up in Cow land, huh? Who was it that got arrested prior to the bowl game? Every NCAA team has people who come in and screw up. Spurrier has gotten rid of players if he felt it was necessary. I'm not certain, but has Bowden done that with any of his players with big time potential?

These were posted today on SCU board on rivals.com:

The whole state of Gamecock Athletics has hit a new low! - BigSpur8679 1/24 12:59 PM (show all) Views 293

You must be new, cause this ain't nothin!! - gcock5 1/24 1:11 PM

:w00t::laugh:

I love how SCU fans like to say they ruined UGA's year lol. UGA finished #2 in the nation. UGA won the Sugar Bowl. Even if UGA had won that game, there were no guarantees we would have beaten LSU in the SEC championship game. Of course, we all would've liked to have that chance, but the media (ESPN, and the system) had as much to do with us not making the national title game as the clackity clacks. If a disappointing season means a Sugar bowl victory and finishing #2, sign me up.

Now let's look at them. They were somehow ranked #6 and didn't even make a bowl!

Wow...gotta feel bad for you USC/Falcon fans, I mean you get duped by Petrino then you loss Van Gorder to a college team...but...your college (I'm sure mixed feelings with that) then he jumps ship on you and goes back to the Falcons right before the most important time in recruiting. I mean....what can you do? You can't hate him because your a Falcon fan, but you can like the guy either.

and I thought we couldn't have it any worse, and you guys did.

Ill be the first to admit, I was really excited to see what Van Gorder could do as the DC. But with that said, he hadnt even signed a contract yet. He found a better position and I cant necessarily blame him for it.

I think Ellis Johnson is a good hire though. Spurrier has said he wishes that he wouldve signed him in the first place.

It is rather weird that I cant really be mad at the guy. I mean I gotta root for him in ATL.