Full round one and Falcons 7 rounds

1989Fan

To be as impartial as possible, I put ATL picking 4th....right ion the middle of our draft slot possiblities. I also did not do any trades, because they are unpredictable and I personally feel they are just a tool to make mocks easier. With that said, I put some time into this, and here are my thoughts as of now. I did put in guys I think will rise, and the ones who will fall.

1.Miami Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College I was leaning towards Chris Long, but Miami NEEDS a QB, and I think they will take Ryan after not being able to get value for the #1 pick, and IMO a failed attempt to lure Anderson from CLE. QBs have gone #1 overall every year since 2000 except one. And the year Mario went #1, HOU took a QB #1 overall just 3 seasons prior.

2. St. Louis Chris Long, DE, Virginia St Louis could look hard @ Jake Long here, but they also have Alex Barron who they took in the first a few years prior. They could try to move him to LT and look for another future OT later in the draft. STL has a dire need to get younger and better @ DE, and Long is possibly the best player in the draft.

3. Kansas City Jake Long, OT, Michigan It is no secret that the OL has been insufficient in KC for a few years. They need to replace Roaf, and Long is the perfect fit for LT in Kansas City. With Long on the board I cant see it taking more than 1 minute to make this trip to the podium.

4. Atlanta Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU Dorsey or Ellis, Ellis or Dorsey? Ellis is the hype machine this year. But one thing I noticed is once the hype simmers down, the top guy during the season usually still ends up on top. This years DT talk reminds me a lot of Broderick Bunkley flying up the hype board because of his bull build, strength and penetrating ability. But in the end Ngata still went first, and rightfully so. I think the same will happen this year. Dorsey is the perfect 4-3 DT, and his play will immediately elevate the defense to another level.

5. Oakland Sedric Ellis, DT, USC Another pick that was tough with DMC and Ellis both on the board. It could go either way, but OAK has a glaring hole in the defense with the retiring Sapp, and there is a good RB talent in this draft and the FA pool.

6. New York Jets Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas Even with Jones, NY cant pass up on a playmaker like DMC here. It would mean to much to Clemens, or whoever they play @ QB in 08. Gholston was the other player I had in mind, but nobody in their right mind could justify Gholston over McFadde, regardless of needs.

7. New England (SF) Vernon Gholston, LB, Ohio State Gholston is a playmaker from anywhere he lines up. With Laurinitis staying in school, NE can move Adalius Thomas inside and unleash the monster Gholston on the edges. His versatility also fits well in NE s hybrid defense, since he could also line up as a 4-3 rush end with ease.

8. Baltimore Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida Baltimore has a list of needs. They have 2 aging CBs, no QB options, and LB needs. Of all their needs I see CB as the most important right now since they could stand to replace 2 of them. Jenkins fits their mold of CBs being a big physical CB.

9. Cincinnati Keith Rivers, LB, USC We all know that CIN needs defensive help. I am sure they would love to se Ellis fall, but it is unlikely now. Rivers is a great athlete, and plays the position bigger than he is. He is a smaller LB, but covers ground well, and hits hard for a guy his size. A real playmaker @ the LB position.

10. New Orleans Dan Conner, LB, Penn State - The Saints could desperately use a CB, but the value isn t there @ 10. I don t pick just on team holes, so this pick made sense to me in a value standpoint. Conner is a fantastic LB, who can play all 3 spots. He plays intense, and would bring a nice element to their LB corps.

11. Buffalo Derrick Harvey, LB, Florida State - I could see BUF adding a #2 WR in free agency to help the WR corps. They should get the versatile Posluszny back @ LB as well. Adding Harvey would give Buffalo the great talent they were used to having @ LB. Crowell, Poz and Harvey could seal this unit up for 5+ years.

12. Denver Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State Clady is an excellent pass protector, and would work well into the DEN zone scheme. It is crazy to me the chance of him being there @ 12, but I just showed 11 reasons he could be.

13. Carolina Kenny Phillips, DB, Miami It is no secret that Carolina needs safety help. I was tempted to go Brohm here, but Phillips will be a more immediate impact, and Brohm s stock is getting shaky after yet another injury.

14. Chicago Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois It may seem premature, but it looks like Benson has fallen out of favor in CHI. His performance is down, and the team doesn t back him. I bet CHI regrets letting Jones go now.

15. Detroit Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas Letting Dre Bly go was an obvious mistake, since DET was torched in the air all year long. Talib is a great athlete, and would start from the beginning. A pass rusher, or OT could also be on Millen s radar.

16. Arizona Calais Campbell, DE, Miami Even though Campbell had a down year, his workouts will prevent him from falling too far. AZ could also look at Phillips or Oher if he declares, but Campbell will give them a DE that can play the 4-3 and transfer to the 3-4.

17. Minnesota Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson Despite many picks at the DE spot MIN has still not been able to land a stellar DE. Udezi is nearing the end of his contract, and I don t know if MIN will keep him on board as the cap hit rises. Merling is a 3 down DE who can get at the QB, and use his power to stop the run game.

18. Houston Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon Stweart is a playmaker with a stout build. Houston still has defensive needs, but Stweart will help the offense a lot, and open things up for the Texans. Their defense should improve with experience and getting healthy, beings they were top 10 near the mid point of the season.

19. Philadelphia DeSean Jackson, WR, California This is very late for the first WR to go. I just don t think this class is that great though. PHI lacks a big time WR IMO. They have (2) #2 WRs at best in PHI. Jackson also is a dynamic KR, and that position is becoming coveted in the NFL.

20. Tampa Bay Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan Once teams see film, Manningham should rise. He is a top talent @ WR. Not the playmaker that Jackson is, but he has great hands and concentration.

21. Washington Malcolm Kelly, WR, OKlahoma Washington could use a DE as well, but I don t think any fit the bill here. If WAS manages to not trade their #1 again, they use it on a playmaker WR. They overspend for mediocre talent in recent years, and Bowman would give them a chance at having a legit #2 across from Moss.

22. Dallas (CLE) Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College - I know Jones wanted McFadden, but he just didn t have the firepower without giving up his whole day one basically. So he has to settle for Barber as their future RB and a top OT prospect to replace Flozell Adams. Cherilus is an ideal OT build, and is moving himself back up the rankings.

23. Seattle Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas - It has become painfully obvious that Alexander sucks, and doesn t have the desire anymore. The popular choice here is Jonathan Stewart, but I am going to go with Jones as their guy. He would add explosiveness, and a great pass catching element to their WCO that they severely lack with Mr. Softy @ RB.

24. Pittsburgh Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh Pittsburgh could use some OL help, and Otah fits the bill. He is a raw talent, but his potential as an OT is limitless. He displays great athletisism, despite his massive size.

25. Tennessee Limas Sweed, WR, Texas TEN grabs a weapon to give Young another excuse to be a poor performer. Sweed was the top rated WR prospect coming into his Sr season, but go hurt and forgotten it seems. While I think their (TEN) WR corps is weak, QB is the real issue with the TEN offense. TEN has used a good amount of picks on WR recently, and here is another.

26. San Diego Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy - McKelvin could actually go higher than this, and IMO is a deal here. This kid has tons of ability, and will be a fine NFL CB. He has great cover & return skills, and could be sick opposite Aaron Ross.

27. Jacksonville Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana They picked good with Nelson. Now adding another top CB prospect to put opposite Mathis is a good idea. CBs always flood the end of round one, because it is a hard position to get great talent at, and is good value at the end of the round.

28. Dallas Reggie Smith, DB, Oklahoma It is uncertain if DAL will retain Ken Hamlin, and if they lose him I am sure they wont want to go back to life w/o a good FS. Smith is good enough to play CB or FS, so his versatility is a plus with Henry aging.

29. San Francisco (IND) Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State Martz coming to town just might have given Alex Smith another season or 2 in San Fran. Martz is great with QBs, and could be exactly what Smith needs. But what SF needs now more than ever is a game breaker @ WR. Thomas is a game changer, and would be an immediate boost to the WR corps. I would look for them to take a QB in round 2-3 though.

30. Green Bay Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa Harris and Woodson have been great, but are both on the wrong side of 30. GB has limited depth at the position, and Godfrey would give them another big, physical CB to prepare for the eventual decline of one of their starters.

31. New York Giants Dominique Rodgers Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State Corey Webster stepped up to end the season, but I don t know if it is enough for the Giants to not be prepared. Madison is slowing down, and Cromartie would make a solid Nickle back to start. He is not a very good tackler, so being in the nickel package would fit him best. His coverage skills are very good though, and he should have a future starting across from impressive rookie Aaron Ross.

Notables not selected in round one: Andre Woodson (QB), Jamaal Charles (RB), Adarius Bowman (WR), Sam Baker (OT), Lawrence Jackson (DE), John Carlson (TE), Kentwan Balmer, (DT), DeJaun Tribble (CB), Mike Hart (RB), Chad Henne (QB), Colt Brennan (QB), Early Doucet (WR), Pat Sims (DT), Fred Davis, USC

34. Atlanta Chad Henne, QB, Michigan First, I am a big fan of Flacco, but I don t know where to go with him. I am chosing Henne, because he has adequate size and arm strength for the NFL, and is top notch in the intangibles category. He will play through pain, and do what it takes to win. MICH made a serious turn for the better when he returned from his injury this season. He also had a very impressive Bowl game win over Florida. In the coin flip scenario KC would pick before us in round 2, and I could see them snagging Woodson there. ( I am also watching Booty now, he seems to be getting hyped some now)

49. Atlanta (HOU) Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska Nicks has unbelievable natural talent, but is raw. His showings at the SR Bowl practices have been great. He looks like a seasoned vet, which makes me comfortable taking him this early. If he looks this good and ready now, he could be VERY good in a season or two. He is an amazing power run blocker, which should bode well with Mike Smith here. Having Weiner around would give Nicks a chance to start at LT when he is ready (or when Weiner gets hurt) or he can come in as the immediate starter @ RT since he is a force in run blocking.

66. Atlanta - Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas Charles is a RB prospect that is really growing on me. He had a fantastic year, and runs hard nosed. He loves contact, and will barrel over any guy he can. You wont arm tackle this guy. He is one of the most complete RB prospects in the draft, and one I am comfortable to become a solid pro. Hopefully the RB depth causes him to slip some.

96. Atlanta (comp) Phillip Wheeler, LB, Georgia Tech Wheeler is a LB prospect I like, and could work well as the future replacement to Falcons staple Keith Brooking. Brooking is out of place some @ the MLB spot, so depending on camp performances and FA acquisitions, Wheeler could beomce the starter @ MLB sooner than later if the coaches decide Brooking is better @ WLB in front of Nicholas for another season.

131 . Atlanta Mike McGlynn, OG, Pittsburgh McGlynn played OT at PIT, but could be an NLF OG. He doesn t have the ability to play in space in the NFL, but his power, drive to succeed and technique overall give him starting potential @ OG. He could also work as a RT, but since he is playing inside at the Sr Bowl, that s where I epect him to stay. He is a give it all, non stop player, and Dimitroff loves guys with his drive and attitude.

Round 5 Craig Steltz, S, LSU Steltz is a very good S prospect, but he will likely not catch eyes in workouts, and may fall. To get him in round 5 would give us a very smart defensive leader to compete with Stone for our future SS spot. Steltz could be an immediate impact payer on ST, since J Williams likely wont see time there anymore if he is pushed into the starting FS role.

Round 6 Atlanta DeJuan Tribble, CB, Boston College Tribble is a pick of mine to fall come draft day. He has shown up at the Senior Bowl out of shape, which could be because of rehabbing his injury. Tribble is a good CB, and excellent KR. TO get him later in the draft would be great, because in games, he flashed some signs of serious potential.

Round 7 Atlanta Brandon Coutu, K, Georgia This is not a homer pick, heck I don t even like Georgia. We do need a kicker though. I don t know if Coutu is the best kicker available, but he was very solid, and even this year was over criticized. I think he will be a fine pro, and can boom the 55+ if needed.

Round 7 (PIT) Doug Legursky, OC, Marshall Needs to learn and refine his game, but is very strong, and plays the position well @ Marshall. He and Datish give us decent odds for a future OC to replace McClure. Would likely end up on PS for his first season.

possible (rough draft) depth chart. I did not include FAs, because it is too early to say who will and wont be there. You will notice some names missing of people I dont think we retain for one reason or another.

DE Jamaal Anderson, John Abraham, Chauncey Davis, (also addition of FA)

DT Glenn Dorsey, Jonathan Babineaux, Trey Lewis, David Patterson, Montavious Stanley

OLB - Michael Boley, Stephen Nicholas, Earl Everett (also addition of FA)

MLB Keith Brooking, Phillip Wheeler, Jeremy Leman

CB DeAngelo Hall, Chris Houtson, David Irons, DeJuan Tribble, Brent Grimes

FS Jimmy Williams, (could see a FA at either S position)

SS Lawyer Milloy, Craig Steltz, Darren Stone

QB Chris Redman, Chad Henne, DJ Shockley (possible retention of either Harrinton or Leftwhich)

RB Jamaal Charles, Jerious Norwood, Jason Snelling

FB Ovie Mughelli, Corey McIntyre

TE Alge Crumpler, Martrez Milner, Dwayne Blakely

WR Roddy White, Laurent Robinson, Michael Jenkins, Adam Jennings (also addition of FA)

OT Todd Weiner, Carl Nicks, Tyson Clabo, Renardo Foster (also addition of FA)

OG Justin Blaylock, Mike McGlynn, Tyson Clabo, (possible retention of Forney, and addition of FA)

OC Todd McClure, Doug Datish, Doug Legursky

K Brandon Coutu

P Michael Koenen

KR Jerious Norwood, DeJuan Tribble, Adam Jennings

I love the Dorsey pick (although Ellis would not be bad at all), but I just can not support Chad Henne. He is not a winning QB. I know I have said this 100 times now, but he went 0-4 against The Ohio State, and only 1-3 in Bowl Games. For a 4 year starter at a powerhouse like Michigan, that is awful. I don't want a QB that doesn't know how to win.

L.Rover (1/24/2008)
I love the Dorsey pick (although Ellis would not be bad at all), but I just can not support Chad Henne. He is not a winning QB. I know I have said this 100 times now, but he went 0-4 against The Ohio State, and only 1-3 in Bowl Games. For a 4 year starter at a powerhouse like Michigan, that is awful. I don't want a QB that doesn't know how to win.

DAL has been 0-2 in playoffs since getting Romo, but I am sure most will still take him.

Henne has gotten his team to a signifcant bowl game every year (winning one). I think at this point getting there should be our main objective. Also with this weak QB class, I think Henne is 2 is the best bng for the buck, unless we get Flacco.

Im not being critical of you, just explaining why I like Henne @ 2. :)

grendel (1/24/2008)
Brohm falls out of round 1? If so, we should trade up with Miami for their #32 pick and take him there. Moving from #35 to #32 is only 40 points, which is a 5th round pick.

To me, Brohm is way more than 40 points better than Henne.

I agree with this. The draft looks pretty good though.

grendel (1/24/2008)
Brohm falls out of round 1? If so, we should trade up with Miami for their #32 pick and take him there. Moving from #35 to #32 is only 40 points, which is a 5th round pick.

To me, Brohm is way more than 40 points better than Henne.

I agree Brohm is 40 points better than Henne. The thing is Bill Parcells probably does to. ;)

your right grendel. I forgot about MIA taking Ryan overall when I made the reply.

I had in my head that Brohm would go to someone else.....I had him @ the SF pick atually, but changed the pick once they hired Martz. He isnt big on early QBs, and I think they brought him in mainly to get production from Alex Smith.

Maybe I was thinking KC would take him, but I think the picks alternate by round in a coin flip scenerio, and if that is the case we would pick before them in round 2. I will definately have to keep Brohm in mind for my post combine mock, but I wouldnt be 100% shocked to see Henne and Flacco pass him come draft day.

thanks for the comments, and pointing out my mistake. I dont like stuff to looks sloppy, unfortunately I cant edit my initial post under the new boards. :doze:

papikaika (1/24/2008)
I think you might wanna switch around Oakland and KC because from what i've read, Oakland is guaranteed to pick ahead of KC (division games or something?).

Other than that, the draft is pretty solid.

you are correct. I had it backwards in my head. IMO the only thing that would change is the draft slot, not the selections.

I also realized after re-reading it that I have J leman on the depth chart. I initially had him as a 6 or 7 draft pick, but took him off. As crazy as it sounds he could go undrafted from the way he is slipping down prospect orders. So just to save face I say we get him as a UDFA. :P

I played around with this so much I seemed to miss on a few details. not like me.......

1989fan (1/24/2008)
I just realized I put "opposite Aaron Ross" under the San Diego pick.

My bad. I initally had him going to NYG and switched my picks up when NYG moved to slot 31. That shows how long I have been tinkering with this mock.

dude i know exactly how you feel. i was tinkering with my last one for a long time too, since the 13th actually.

but i really like your mock draft, it is very well done and i would be very happy if it turned out this way.

i love doing the 1st round mock though, because it gives you a much better indication of what will be available with the 2nd round pick(s) and that gives you a lot more to go off of for the rest of your draft. very good job, and a very good read. :)

Henne would be an excellent pick! He has a ton of starting experience in college. He has a good arm. He is an excellent leader. He is big and strong. Plus he has been the most consistent QB in Senior Bowl practices, so his draft stock is probably going to rise!

For those who say he can't win the big game, how many times did Peyton Manning beat UF?

Excellent job 1989fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Libid21

No way Miami will draft a quarterback with the first overall pick. You say that Miami would be forced to take Matt Ryan because they couldn't get any better value with that draft pick? Uhh... are you crazy? How is Matt Ryan a better valued draft pick than Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey? He's arguably not even worth a Top 10 pick. Miami has pressed their need for a better defensive lineman and whether or not it's a defensive tackle or defensive end, Parcells will want to draft someone with passion and has shown in the past why he would be worth the first overall pick and when I think of passion, I think "Chris Long". But that is your mock draft, not mine. That's all the rant I have for now. Good write up in the end.

IF the stars aligned and Dorsey dropped to us, I'd pop a top and do some major celebrating. He's just a phenomenal player, imo. Having said that, I wouldn't put any money on his dropping past 2nd, whether it be one of these teams taking him or someone moving up in the draft. He's just too good...

Libid21 (1/24/2008)
No way Miami will draft a quarterback with the first overall pick. You say that Miami would be forced to take Matt Ryan because they couldn't get any better value with that draft pick? Uhh... are you crazy? How is Matt Ryan a better valued draft pick than Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey? He's arguably not even worth a Top 10 pick. Miami has pressed their need for a better defensive lineman and whether or not it's a defensive tackle or defensive end, Parcells will want to draft someone with passion and has shown in the past why he would be worth the first overall pick and when I think of passion, I think "Chris Long". But that is your mock draft, not mine. That's all the rant I have for now. Good write up in the end.

In regards to me saying getting good value for the pick, I meant in trading the pick away. Not regarding prospects.

I think Miami will both try to trade the pick out, and try to get Derek Anderson, and fail at both.

1989fan I like several of your picks, but I will say this Jamaal Charles fumbles alot. I was on the Texans board and they were talking about him and the one thing they all agreed on was that he was a great runner but fumbled 8+ times this season they were talking about a stretch of like 8 to 10 games where he fumbled at least once or twice every game. I was thinking he would be perfect for their ZBS but to a man they all said fumbles to much.

I really hope they can get either

Jonathan Stewart___5'11 235

Rashard Mendenhall__5'11 225

Matt Forte__6'1 224

Benjarvis G. Ellis__5'11 225

1989fan (1/24/2008)
To be as impartial as possible, I put ATL picking 4th....right ion the middle of our draft slot possiblities. I also did not do any trades, because they are unpredictable and I personally feel they are just a tool to make mocks easier. With that said, I put some time into this, and here are my thoughts as of now. I did put in guys I think will rise, and the ones who will fall.

1.Miami Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College I was leaning towards Chris Long, but Miami NEEDS a QB, and I think they will take Ryan after not being able to get value for the #1 pick, and IMO a failed attempt to lure Anderson from CLE. QBs have gone #1 overall every year since 2000 except one. And the year Mario went #1, HOU took a QB #1 overall just 3 seasons prior.

2. St. Louis Chris Long, DE, Virginia St Louis could look hard @ Jake Long here, but they also have Alex Barron who they took in the first a few years prior. They could try to move him to LT and look for another future OT later in the draft. STL has a dire need to get younger and better @ DE, and Long is possibly the best player in the draft.

3. Kansas City Jake Long, OT, Michigan It is no secret that the OL has been insufficient in KC for a few years. They need to replace Roaf, and Long is the perfect fit for LT in Kansas City. With Long on the board I cant see it taking more than 1 minute to make this trip to the podium.

4. Atlanta Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU Dorsey or Ellis, Ellis or Dorsey? Ellis is the hype machine this year. But one thing I noticed is once the hype simmers down, the top guy during the season usually still ends up on top. This years DT talk reminds me a lot of Broderick Bunkley flying up the hype board because of his bull build, strength and penetrating ability. But in the end Ngata still went first, and rightfully so. I think the same will happen this year. Dorsey is the perfect 4-3 DT, and his play will immediately elevate the defense to another level.

5. Oakland Sedric Ellis, DT, USC Another pick that was tough with DMC and Ellis both on the board. It could go either way, but OAK has a glaring hole in the defense with the retiring Sapp, and there is a good RB talent in this draft and the FA pool.

6. New York Jets Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas Even with Jones, NY cant pass up on a playmaker like DMC here. It would mean to much to Clemens, or whoever they play @ QB in 08. Gholston was the other player I had in mind, but nobody in their right mind could justify Gholston over McFadde, regardless of needs.

7. New England (SF) Vernon Gholston, LB, Ohio State Gholston is a playmaker from anywhere he lines up. With Laurinitis staying in school, NE can move Adalius Thomas inside and unleash the monster Gholston on the edges. His versatility also fits well in NE s hybrid defense, since he could also line up as a 4-3 rush end with ease.

8. Baltimore Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida Baltimore has a list of needs. They have 2 aging CBs, no QB options, and LB needs. Of all their needs I see CB as the most important right now since they could stand to replace 2 of them. Jenkins fits their mold of CBs being a big physical CB.

9. Cincinnati Keith Rivers, LB, USC We all know that CIN needs defensive help. I am sure they would love to se Ellis fall, but it is unlikely now. Rivers is a great athlete, and plays the position bigger than he is. He is a smaller LB, but covers ground well, and hits hard for a guy his size. A real playmaker @ the LB position.

10. New Orleans Dan Conner, LB, Penn State - The Saints could desperately use a CB, but the value isn t there @ 10. I don t pick just on team holes, so this pick made sense to me in a value standpoint. Conner is a fantastic LB, who can play all 3 spots. He plays intense, and would bring a nice element to their LB corps.

11. Buffalo Derrick Harvey, LB, Florida State - I could see BUF adding a #2 WR in free agency to help the WR corps. They should get the versatile Posluszny back @ LB as well. Adding Harvey would give Buffalo the great talent they were used to having @ LB. Crowell, Poz and Harvey could seal this unit up for 5+ years.

12. Denver Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State Clady is an excellent pass protector, and would work well into the DEN zone scheme. It is crazy to me the chance of him being there @ 12, but I just showed 11 reasons he could be.

13. Carolina Kenny Phillips, DB, Miami It is no secret that Carolina needs safety help. I was tempted to go Brohm here, but Phillips will be a more immediate impact, and Brohm s stock is getting shaky after yet another injury.

14. Chicago Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois It may seem premature, but it looks like Benson has fallen out of favor in CHI. His performance is down, and the team doesn t back him. I bet CHI regrets letting Jones go now.

15. Detroit Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas Letting Dre Bly go was an obvious mistake, since DET was torched in the air all year long. Talib is a great athlete, and would start from the beginning. A pass rusher, or OT could also be on Millen s radar.

16. Arizona Calais Campbell, DE, Miami Even though Campbell had a down year, his workouts will prevent him from falling too far. AZ could also look at Phillips or Oher if he declares, but Campbell will give them a DE that can play the 4-3 and transfer to the 3-4.

17. Minnesota Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson Despite many picks at the DE spot MIN has still not been able to land a stellar DE. Udezi is nearing the end of his contract, and I don t know if MIN will keep him on board as the cap hit rises. Merling is a 3 down DE who can get at the QB, and use his power to stop the run game.

18. Houston Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon Stweart is a playmaker with a stout build. Houston still has defensive needs, but Stweart will help the offense a lot, and open things up for the Texans. Their defense should improve with experience and getting healthy, beings they were top 10 near the mid point of the season.

19. Philadelphia DeSean Jackson, WR, California This is very late for the first WR to go. I just don t think this class is that great though. PHI lacks a big time WR IMO. They have (2) #2 WRs at best in PHI. Jackson also is a dynamic KR, and that position is becoming coveted in the NFL.

20. Tampa Bay Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan Once teams see film, Manningham should rise. He is a top talent @ WR. Not the playmaker that Jackson is, but he has great hands and concentration.

21. Washington Malcolm Kelly, WR, OKlahoma Washington could use a DE as well, but I don t think any fit the bill here. If WAS manages to not trade their #1 again, they use it on a playmaker WR. They overspend for mediocre talent in recent years, and Bowman would give them a chance at having a legit #2 across from Moss.

22. Dallas (CLE) Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College - I know Jones wanted McFadden, but he just didn t have the firepower without giving up his whole day one basically. So he has to settle for Barber as their future RB and a top OT prospect to replace Flozell Adams. Cherilus is an ideal OT build, and is moving himself back up the rankings.

23. Seattle Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas - It has become painfully obvious that Alexander sucks, and doesn t have the desire anymore. The popular choice here is Jonathan Stewart, but I am going to go with Jones as their guy. He would add explosiveness, and a great pass catching element to their WCO that they severely lack with Mr. Softy @ RB.

24. Pittsburgh Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh Pittsburgh could use some OL help, and Otah fits the bill. He is a raw talent, but his potential as an OT is limitless. He displays great athletisism, despite his massive size.

25. Tennessee Limas Sweed, WR, Texas TEN grabs a weapon to give Young another excuse to be a poor performer. Sweed was the top rated WR prospect coming into his Sr season, but go hurt and forgotten it seems. While I think their (TEN) WR corps is weak, QB is the real issue with the TEN offense. TEN has used a good amount of picks on WR recently, and here is another.

26. San Diego Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy - McKelvin could actually go higher than this, and IMO is a deal here. This kid has tons of ability, and will be a fine NFL CB. He has great cover & return skills, and could be sick opposite Aaron Ross.

27. Jacksonville Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana They picked good with Nelson. Now adding another top CB prospect to put opposite Mathis is a good idea. CBs always flood the end of round one, because it is a hard position to get great talent at, and is good value at the end of the round.

28. Dallas Reggie Smith, DB, Oklahoma It is uncertain if DAL will retain Ken Hamlin, and if they lose him I am sure they wont want to go back to life w/o a good FS. Smith is good enough to play CB or FS, so his versatility is a plus with Henry aging.

29. San Francisco (IND) Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State Martz coming to town just might have given Alex Smith another season or 2 in San Fran. Martz is great with QBs, and could be exactly what Smith needs. But what SF needs now more than ever is a game breaker @ WR. Thomas is a game changer, and would be an immediate boost to the WR corps. I would look for them to take a QB in round 2-3 though.

30. Green Bay Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa Harris and Woodson have been great, but are both on the wrong side of 30. GB has limited depth at the position, and Godfrey would give them another big, physical CB to prepare for the eventual decline of one of their starters.

31. New York Giants Dominique Rodgers Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State Corey Webster stepped up to end the season, but I don t know if it is enough for the Giants to not be prepared. Madison is slowing down, and Cromartie would make a solid Nickle back to start. He is not a very good tackler, so being in the nickel package would fit him best. His coverage skills are very good though, and he should have a future starting across from impressive rookie Aaron Ross.

Notables not selected in round one: Andre Woodson (QB), Jamaal Charles (RB), Adarius Bowman (WR), Sam Baker (OT), Lawrence Jackson (DE), John Carlson (TE), Kentwan Balmer, (DT), DeJaun Tribble (CB), Mike Hart (RB), Chad Henne (QB), Colt Brennan (QB), Early Doucet (WR), Pat Sims (DT), Fred Davis, USC

34. Atlanta Chad Henne, QB, Michigan First, I am a big fan of Flacco, but I don t know where to go with him. I am chosing Henne, because he has adequate size and arm strength for the NFL, and is top notch in the intangibles category. He will play through pain, and do what it takes to win. MICH made a serious turn for the better when he returned from his injury this season. He also had a very impressive Bowl game win over Florida. In the coin flip scenario KC would pick before us in round 2, and I could see them snagging Woodson there. ( I am also watching Booty now, he seems to be getting hyped some now)

49. Atlanta (HOU) Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska Nicks has unbelievable natural talent, but is raw. His showings at the SR Bowl practices have been great. He looks like a seasoned vet, which makes me comfortable taking him this early. If he looks this good and ready now, he could be VERY good in a season or two. He is an amazing power run blocker, which should bode well with Mike Smith here. Having Weiner around would give Nicks a chance to start at LT when he is ready (or when Weiner gets hurt) or he can come in as the immediate starter @ RT since he is a force in run blocking.

66. Atlanta - Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas Charles is a RB prospect that is really growing on me. He had a fantastic year, and runs hard nosed. He loves contact, and will barrel over any guy he can. You wont arm tackle this guy. He is one of the most complete RB prospects in the draft, and one I am comfortable to become a solid pro. Hopefully the RB depth causes him to slip some.

96. Atlanta (comp) Phillip Wheeler, LB, Georgia Tech Wheeler is a LB prospect I like, and could work well as the future replacement to Falcons staple Keith Brooking. Brooking is out of place some @ the MLB spot, so depending on camp performances and FA acquisitions, Wheeler could beomce the starter @ MLB sooner than later if the coaches decide Brooking is better @ WLB in front of Nicholas for another season.

131 . Atlanta Mike McGlynn, OG, Pittsburgh McGlynn played OT at PIT, but could be an NLF OG. He doesn t have the ability to play in space in the NFL, but his power, drive to succeed and technique overall give him starting potential @ OG. He could also work as a RT, but since he is playing inside at the Sr Bowl, that s where I epect him to stay. He is a give it all, non stop player, and Dimitroff loves guys with his drive and attitude.

Round 5 Craig Steltz, S, LSU Steltz is a very good S prospect, but he will likely not catch eyes in workouts, and may fall. To get him in round 5 would give us a very smart defensive leader to compete with Stone for our future SS spot. Steltz could be an immediate impact payer on ST, since J Williams likely wont see time there anymore if he is pushed into the starting FS role.

Round 6 Atlanta DeJuan Tribble, CB, Boston College Tribble is a pick of mine to fall come draft day. He has shown up at the Senior Bowl out of shape, which could be because of rehabbing his injury. Tribble is a good CB, and excellent KR. TO get him later in the draft would be great, because in games, he flashed some signs of serious potential.

Round 7 Atlanta Brandon Coutu, K, Georgia This is not a homer pick, heck I don t even like Georgia. We do need a kicker though. I don t know if Coutu is the best kicker available, but he was very solid, and even this year was over criticized. I think he will be a fine pro, and can boom the 55+ if needed.

Round 7 (PIT) Doug Legursky, OC, Marshall Needs to learn and refine his game, but is very strong, and plays the position well @ Marshall. He and Datish give us decent odds for a future OC to replace McClure. Would likely end up on PS for his first season.

possible (rough draft) depth chart. I did not include FAs, because it is too early to say who will and wont be there. You will notice some names missing of people I dont think we retain for one reason or another.

DE Jamaal Anderson, John Abraham, Chauncey Davis, (also addition of FA)

DT Glenn Dorsey, Jonathan Babineaux, Trey Lewis, David Patterson, Montavious Stanley

OLB - Michael Boley, Stephen Nicholas, Earl Everett (also addition of FA)

MLB Keith Brooking, Phillip Wheeler, Jeremy Leman

CB DeAngelo Hall, Chris Houtson, David Irons, DeJuan Tribble, Brent Grimes

FS Jimmy Williams, (could see a FA at either S position)

SS Lawyer Milloy, Craig Steltz, Darren Stone

QB Chris Redman, Chad Henne, DJ Shockley (possible retention of either Harrinton or Leftwhich)

RB Jamaal Charles, Jerious Norwood, Jason Snelling

FB Ovie Mughelli, Corey McIntyre

TE Alge Crumpler, Martrez Milner, Dwayne Blakely

WR Roddy White, Laurent Robinson, Michael Jenkins, Adam Jennings (also addition of FA)

OT Todd Weiner, Carl Nicks, Tyson Clabo, Renardo Foster (also addition of FA)

OG Justin Blaylock, Mike McGlynn, Tyson Clabo, (possible retention of Forney, and addition of FA)

OC Todd McClure, Doug Datish, Doug Legursky

K Brandon Coutu

P Michael Koenen

KR Jerious Norwood, DeJuan Tribble, Adam Jennings

not bad, just to throw out some of my ideas. i dont think the phins would draft a qb number 1, with flacco and henne both moving up the charts and looking like starting nfl qbs i think the phins will take one in the 2nd.

i would love if alt drafted dorsey or ellis, however tribble has looked terrible but it is a 6th round pick.

Ok like a couple of your picks, but your 1st round needs to be reconsidered. No way Mcfadden falls that far, Phillips will go earlier, and so will Mckelvin. No way does that many DTs go so early either.

Positions that tend to rise come draft day are QBs, CBs, WRs, DEs, RBsand OTs. Positions that slide DT, LB, Safety, OG, TE.

Robert Woodham (1/25/2008)
Ok like a couple of your picks, but your 1st round needs to be reconsidered. No way Mcfadden falls that far, Phillips will go earlier, and so will Mckelvin. No way does that many DTs go so early either.

Positions that tend to rise come draft day are QBs, CBs, WRs, DEs, RBsand OTs. Positions that slide DT, LB, Safety, OG, TE.

QBs tend to fall on draft day in recent years. many teams are now hesitatnt to take them early due to only a 50% success rate, and having to pay them big bucks to sit for a season.

CBs always rise, but only towards the end of the round. There hasnt been many CBs in the top 10 in recent years.

RBs is another position that they can rise, but it is usually a few key guys, and the rest scatter throughout the draft.

I will bet you anything that Ellis and Dorsey both go top 5-10. And IMO, Phillips isnt as good a prospect as the S that went (too) early in the last 2 drafts. Most scouts have him ranked in the late teens right now. He is alot better than the other safeties, but not close to the prospect Landry or Huff was.

Thanks for the debate. I like to be able to explain my thoughts more and have good discussion.

Yeah, but RBs will rise and DTs tend to slip. You can always find DTs projected to go in the 1st making it into the 2nd round. OTs are a big one to rise. QBs have seemed to slip not because teams value them less but where the value has been in the last couple of drafts. This draft tends to be deep at CB and is a position a lot of teams could use so they will come off quickly.

Im not against taking a DT there though I think we would be better off getting one in FA and let someone else over pay for a position that is really known to be a game changing one. Besides it would probably save us some money to get it done in FA as opposed to pay top 5 pick money for a rookie DT. IMO this team has waaaayyyyy tooooo many other needs like a franchise offensive lineman to anchor the OL for the next decade or a QB. Though I think we can get better value in this draft looking at QB in a later round.

Depending on who is there when we pick this is a very good draft to trade down in. There are really only 2 players in this draft I would consider taking where we would be picking and those are Mcfadden, or Jake Long, or another OT if one proves he is as good or better than Long.