1st Round Mock Draft + Falcons Offseason

1st Round Mock Draft:

1st- Miami- Chris Long, DE, Virginia- The Dolphins select the best player for the 3-4 defense in the entire draft, and add a lot of youth and talent to a defensive line that is absolutely starving for it.

2nd- St. Louis- Jake Long, OT, Michigan- I went back and forth on this selection a few times, but I finally went with this one. Jake Long projects perfectly, in my opinion, to RT, but I think he will be tried at LT first. Either way, the Rams would have two good OT s in Long and Alex Barron. When I watched him, Barron looked pretty good at the LT spot this year (when he filled in for the injured Orlando Pace). So, adding Long gives them options, and ideally would stabilize their offensive line.

3rd- Oakland- Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas- The Raiders will not pass up on McFadden here in my opinion. He is too talented and physically impressive for Davis to think about making any other selection, and I think a McFadden/Fargas tandem could be very potent.

4th- Kansas City- Glen Dorsey, DT, LSU- The Chiefs make a slightly different selection than they have in the past, but I think it is still a good one. Dorsey would add a strong presence against the run to the interior of the Chiefs defensive line, and could make Jared Allen all the more potent from the DE position.

5th- Buffalo (F/ ATL)- Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern Cal- It is extremely difficult for me to pass this guy up, but in the end adding Ryan Clady won out, because the OT prospects later in the draft are not nearly as appealing as I thought they might be, especially at LT, upon further review. The Bills, however, are absolutely thrilled to have a chance to add Ellis, and willingly sacrifice their 2nd round selection to make the move, and it I think it would be a truly beneficial one. Ellis is a game-changing DT, but I think we are better off dramatically upgrading the LT position than adding Ellis at this point, and adding another 2nd round selection only makes this deal easier for me to make.

6th- New York Jets- Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State- Gholston adds a very potent pass rusher to their 3-4 defense, and if the Jets can upgrade their defensive line their front 7 could become quite impressive, especially now that Gholston has substantially upgraded their pass rush. Especially if Jonathan Vilma can recover from his knee problems.

7th- Carolina (F/ NE, F/ SF)- Kenny Phillips, S, Miami- The Panthers elect to move up to select the star Saftey from Miami because the thin draft class at safety is headlined by Phillips, and the class takes a huge drop-off after him in my opinion. The Panthers will definitely be looking at QB s in the 1st round, but with this deep QB class they expect to have another good chance at one later in the draft. Phillips fills the big void left by Mike Minter s retirement, and should be able to contribute immediately.

8th- Baltimore- Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College- The Ravens hang tight at #8 (I had them trading up before, and the Falcons moved down for Clady) and still get their man in Matt Ryan. He gives them a legitimate QB of the future, and after Kyle Boller s contract expires Ryan will likely be expected to fill in as the starter. I really like Troy Smith, but it would be foolish to pass on a QB in this draft and pin all your hopes on the development of a late 2nd day draft pick.

9th- Cincinnati- Derek Harvey, DE, Florida- The Bengals make this selection because they are desperate for an improved pass rush. Justin Smith, their LE, is a free agent this offseason and even if they bring him back, their pass rush was fairly paltry this year. Harvey would give them a bona-fide speed rusher at the RE position, and would help to take a lot of pressure off of their secondary, which has given up a lot of big plays in recent seasons.

10th- New Orleans- Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida- The Saints elect to end the Jason David experiment after one year, or at least they hope to. Jenkins would give the Saints a lot of speed, size and athleticism that they haven t had at CB in a long time. He would give them a legitimate #2 CB across from Mike McKenzie in the secondary.

11th- Atlanta (F/ Buffalo)- Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State- I think we get very good value for him here, and I m a little surprised he made it out of the top 10, but I am certainly not complaining. We dramatically upgrade the LT position, and get a good value while we re at it. Not only that, but by adding the 2nd round pick from the Bills, we end up with 3 selections in the 2nd round, 4 in the first 2 rounds! But enough about that, Clady would likely start from day one at LT, and would only need a free agent acquisition to be used for depth behind him, in my opinion. Perhaps Clabo would work in that role. In any event, this makes the most sense for us, because we have tried and failed to upgrade the LT position for so long, we finally have to make this selection.

12th- Denver- Keith Rivers, OLB, Southern Cal- The Broncos go BPA at the LB position and add Rivers, even though this means D.J. Williams will be forced to stay at the ILB position instead of his natural WLB position (which is what Rivers plays). He is the best OLB prospect in the draft though, and fills a big need for the Broncos after losing Al Wilson.

13th- New England (F/ CAR)- Dan Connor, ILB, Penn State- I m not sure if Connor is a bit under-sized for the ILB position in the 3-4, but he definitely fills a need at this point in the draft. He is not exactly undersized at 6 2 , 235 pounds, but I suppose he is not the same size as Bruschi. In any event, the ILB s on the Patriots are borderline ancient, and this would certainly help to remedy that.

14th- Philadelphia (F/ Chicago)- DeSean Jackson, WR, California- The Eagles elect to move up to add one of the premier playmakers in the draft in DeSean Jackson. He would give a new, necessary dimension to the Eagles offense, and they need a face-lift here whether they keep McNabb or not. Also, he fills a huge need in the return game, as he is one of the best return men in the draft.

15th- Detroit- Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona- The Lions make a wise decision to add Cason here because their secondary is very porous and thin at the CB position, especially after they traded Dre Bly. Cason adds a reliable cover man who is not as flashy as other CB prospects, but locks down his side despite elite speed.

16th- Arizona- Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon- The Cardinals make a fairly unorthodox selection and add Jonathan Stewart to their RB fold because they have no clear RB of the future behind Edge right now. He is getting a little old and even though he has been good as of late, that can change quickly (see Shaun Alexander). Adding Stewart would help take some of the pressure off of James, and would also extend his effective playing career.

17th- Minnesota- Malcom Kelly, WR, Oklahoma- The Vikings make a slight reach for Kelly in the end because there is little or no help available for the DE position, which is (in my opinion) the only position that would make sense to upgrade other than the WR position in the 1st round. So, they elect to add Kelly instead of Early Doucet because of his size and consistent hands. He would give Tarvaris Jackson another big target to throw to, which is important for a QB who doesn t have prototypical size. Also, as a scrambler throwing on the run is much easier to big, rangy targets like Kelly or Sidney Rice rather than shorter WR s (especially one s that can t catch like Troy Williamson).

18th- Houston- Sam Baker, OT, Southern Cal- The Texans FINALLY get themselves a LT, and finally take a big step in the right direction towards upgrading their offensive line. For their entire existence the Texans have never had a consistent stud LT, but this selection changes all of that provided Baker can avoid any other injuries.

19th- Chicago (F/ Philadelphia)- Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville- The Bears get a very good value pick here, and certainly solidify their QB situation, which was extremely unstable this year. Brohm is the clear QB of the future, and would develop behind Grossman and Griese for a season. Brohm certainly brings a high level of consistency that I honestly don t think Grossman will ever be able to achieve, which explains this selection.

20th- Tampa Bay- Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky- This is certainly a pick I have never made before, but I think it rings true at least a bit. Jon Gruden has proven time and time again that he loves QB s, and will go to great lengths to get himself the best one he possibly can. He has Jeff Garcia right now, but Garcia is getting extremely old and does not have a lot of time left. There is no clear replacement in line for Garcia, and Woodson might have the highest ceiling of any of the top 3 QB s in this draft. That has to make Gruden s mouth water here, and I think he would pull the trigger here ESPECIALLY if Sam Baker happened to be off the board.

21st- Washington- Reggie Smith, DB, Oklahoma- This might be the best case scenario for the Redskins because their surprising run at the end of the season took them out of the Kenny Phillips sweepstakes. So, they jump on Reggie Smith here, who is an extremely talented DB, and one who has experience both at CB and S, so he would be particularly valuable to the Redskins, who could use help at either position.

22nd- Dallas (F/ CLE)- Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas- The Cowboys couldn t get their hands on Darren McFadden, who went #3 to Oakland, but they did get his teammate Felix Jones. Jones production was obviously over-shadowed by McFadden, but he is a great prospect in his own right, and had an outrageous yards per carry average as a junior, and was one reason why the Arkansas running game was so dominant despite no passing game. With Jones in the backfield Julius Jones would likely leave as a free agent, and Marion Barber III and Jones would split the carries.

23rd- Pittsburgh- Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt- The Steelers will likely need to fill a void at the RT position due to 2 pending free agents along their offensive line, so Williams makes sense here. He could either add depth to the LT position, or fill in at RT if the Steelers are not convinced he would be better suited on the right side rather than the left.

24th- Tennessee- Early Doucet, WR, LSU- The Titans jump all over Doucet here because he is a good value and he gives Vince Young another weapon to utilize, which has to be one of the main priorities of the Titans organization this season. The cupboard was pretty bare last year, and it certainly did not help counter the infamous Madden Curse.

25th- Seattle- Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois- Mendenhall is an absolute monster, and was extremely productive throughout his career at Illinois. He would help take a lot of pressure off of Shaun Alexander, and would give the Seahawks their running back of the future after Alexander s contract expires or after he retires.

26th- Jacksonville- Xavier Adibi, OLB, Virginia Tech- Adding Adibi here is a good value pick versus reaching a little bit for Lawrence Jackson at DE. He adds a lot of speed, athleticism and talent to an already very good linebacking core, and would make their front 7 even more potent.

27th- San Diego- Calais Campbell, DE, Miami- Campbell is an absolutely huge guy (6 8 , 285 pounds) so I definitely think he could cut it as a 3-4 DE, and that is definitely something that the Chargers need. They also need depth behind Jamaal Williams at NT, but there is absolutely no value for that here. So, they elect to add depth at DE behind Luis Castillo, who had some injury problems this season.

28th- Dallas- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State- The Cowboys need a legitimate #2 corner opposite Terrance Newman, and I think Rodgers-Cromartie would fit that bill quite well. He would bring a lot of speed and playmaking ability to the secondary that has not been present opposite Newman in the current starter Anthony Henry, who is starting to slow down. He would add some youth and depth to the CB position also, which you can never have enough of.

29th- San Francisco (F/ IND)- Limas Sweed, WR, Texas- The 49ers need a big-play guy, but they also need more consistent weapons for Alex Smith to utilize, and Sweed has great size, strength and hands. He runs good routes and would help stabilize the 49ers passing game.

30th- Green Bay- Fred Davis, TE, Southern Cal- The Packers love their tight ends, and Davis is the best in the draft. They have one good TE on the roster right now, but adding another one certainly couldn t hurt, and there is little value for the other positions they might like to address this early in the draft, so they go BPA. Adding Davis would help improve this dimension of the offense, and Davis is also a very good blocker for a TE.

31st- New York Giants- Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh- The Giants add Otah here because there is little value for a CB, and because they could really use a LT to replace Luke Petigout. Otah fell some in the past week or two, which is why he is available here. I think it may be because scouts are not so sure about him projecting to LT, but adding a good, powerful OT like Otah makes sense whether he ends up at LT or not.

Falcons Offseason:

Cuts/FA Departures:

Wayne Gandy, OT

Rod Coleman, DT

Quinn Ojinnaka, OT

Kynan Forney, OG

Morten Anderson, K

Byron Leftwich, QB

Joey Harrington, QB

Warrick Dunn, RB

Demorrio Williams, OLB

Brian Finneran, WR

Joe Horn, WR

Lewis Sanders, CB

Michael Jenkins, WR

Re-signings:

Chris Crocker, S

Tyson Clabo, OL

Michael Boley, LB

DeAngelo Hall, CB

Dwayne Blakley, TE

Chris Redman, QB

Free Agent Acquisitions:

Stacy Andrews, OG, Bengals- Monster at OG would fill our need here before the draft.

Bryant Johnson, WR, Cardinals- Adds a big WR with good hands to compliment Roddy.

Nick Cole, C, Eagles- I m not sure if this guy is a free agent, but I d love to bring him in to compete. He is a monster for a center. He is 6 tall and according to their website weighs a whopping 350 pounds. He has played in 16 games in both of his 2 seasons, and started one this past year for the Eagles. Why not bring him in with that experience to compete with Datish and McClure if he is, indeed, a free agent? He was signed as an undrafted free agent, so I don t know when his contract will expire, or if it has.

Falcons Mock Draft:

1st- Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State- I think we get very good value for him here, and I m a little surprised he made it out of the top 10, but I am certainly not complaining. We dramatically upgrade the LT position, and get a good value while we re at it. Not only that, but by adding the 2nd round pick from the Bills, we end up with 3 selections in the 2nd round, 4 in the first 2 rounds! But enough about that, Clady would likely start from day one at LT, and would only need a free agent acquisition to be used for depth behind him, in my opinion. Perhaps Clabo would work in that role. In any event, this makes the most sense for us, because we have tried and failed to upgrade the LT position for so long, we finally have to make this selection.

2nd (F/ Bills)- Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware- According to my rankings this guy is still considered a very early 3rd or very late 2nd round selection, so he should definately be available here. I really like his potential and, like Josh Johnson, I think he has all the tools to be successful at the next level. He just has to adjust to a different game speed, a faster one.

2nd (F/ HOU)- Red Bryant, DT, Texas A&M- I really like Bryant, and I love his ability as a run stuffer. His impact on his team s run defense is so great, that when he was out for a few games with injury, the rushing yards the team allowed went from about 80 per game to almost 230 a game. He is very strong against the run, but is not as well developed as a pass rusher, and could use improvement on his pass rush moves. However, adding him would definitely plug up the middle of the field because of his incredible strength and surprising athleticism. He is also a very good leader, and has an outstanding work ethic.

2nd (F/ TB)- Chris Ellis, DE, Virginia Tech- I really like Ellis and I think he could definitely contribute right away at DE and be the future replacement for John Abraham at RE. Contrary to what I thought (a stereotype considering his size, 6 5 , 260 lbs) he is actually good against the run, and is a very good pass rusher also. I think he could be just the guy we need to back up Abraham, and I think he could rotate into the game even as a rookie, and develop behind Abe as his eventual replacement.

3rd- Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska- Nicks is an interesting guy to me because he is fairly raw but he is absolutely huge (6 5 , 343 lbs) but he doesn t look sloppy or overweight, though it could become an issue. However, he may have problems handling the speed rushers at the NFL level (like I think Jake Long could and will) so I think he would be a perfect addition to play RT, which is why I think he makes it to our 3rd round selection even though he is ranked as a late 2nd rounder. He is just what we want as a RT, he has very explosive strength which is extremely evident both as a run and pass blocker, and has strong hands and long arms, and uses them well to dominate his man. He would need a year to develop since he is fairly raw, but we have that luxury with both Todd Weiner and Tyson Clabo on the roster.

3rd (F/ TB)- Phillip Wheeler, ILB, Georgia Tech- I have never had this guy in a mock before, but I read up on him and found him fairly intriguing. Considering that we are likely to build a defense that is very strong against the run but also likes to attack and blitz the quarterback, Wheeler would be ideal for us. He loves contact and is extremely physical as a middle linebacker, and has very good athleticism. He has also developed into a very good pass rusher, and that attribute would be perfect to help our defense develop into an aggressive, attacking defense. That is just what I want.

3rd (Comp)- Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame- Laws is a guy that I have never had in a mock before, but I think he could be a good addition as a 3-technique pass rusher, but he is also fairly good against the run, and I think he would team well with Babineaux and Trey Lewis at the UT position. With Bryant next to them, they would likely have lots of 1 on 1 situations in the running game, and with their penetrating ability I think they could make a lot of plays in the backfield (9.5 tackles for loss in 06 for Laws).

4th- Matt Forte, RB, Tulane- Reading scouting reports the only negatives that this guy has are that he can t be split out like a WR because he doesn t have enough speed, and he can t break off big runs because of his speed. The positives would take a long time to type out, but in short this guy is exactly what we need. He is a power runner, no doubt about it. He hits holes hard, fast and aggressively, and breaks through arm tackles very well. He runs very decisively and has very good vision to find cut-back lanes, but also displays the patience necessary to wait for his blocks to develop in front of him. He was extremely productive and would be the PERFECT compliment to Norwood, who is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball. Forte would be the workhorse and Norwood would be the change of pace back, and I think a Forte/Norwood tandem would be very potent in the near future.

5th- Trae Williams, CB, South Florida- I really like this guy and I m glad I managed to get him back in my mock draft. He would add more depth, youth and talent to the CB position, and I would feel very comfortable with my top 4 CB s involving Hall, Houston, Irons and Williams. Williams was projected as a 2nd or 3rd rounder earlier in the season, and was very productive at South Florida, but has fallen hard and fast since the high number of junior declarations by junior CB s. That doesn t matter to me at all though, because if we got him here it would be a great value in my opinion.

6th- Matt Flynn, QB, LSU- I think he could make an adequate back-up in the NFL, and for that reason I think we have to bring him in here. He adds depth and I love the idea of adding 2 QB s in this draft, especially because of how deep it is, because it is a very important position and you can never have enough talent there in camp. Flynn played like he had ice-water running through his veins in the National Championship game, and never lost his calm or his poise, and looked the part of a great leader. He has good tools, not the strongest arm, but he has a high football IQ and it can t hurt to bring him in here.

7th- Art Carmody, K, Louisville- We need a kicker, Carmody is the all time points leader in NCAA History, and he has the leg strength to kick 50+ while still being very accurate. Bring him home& Dimitroff.

7th (F/ PIT)- Dexter Jackson, WR/KR, Appalachian State- I don t expect that Jackson will go a lot higher than this, but with his blazing 40 time maybe he will. He had 30 catches for 688 yards as a senior, along with 8 touchdowns. He is an interesting option as a returner, and had almost 1000 punt return yards in his career at Appalachian State, along with 2 touchdowns. He would compete with Adam Jennings for the KR/PR role, and might be a practice squad guy.

Depth Chart:

QB: Redman/Flacco/Flynn/Shockley

RB: Norwood/Forte /Snelling

FB: Mughelli/McCyntire

WR: White/Johnson/Robinson/Jennings/Jackson

TE- Crumpler/Milner/Blakley

LT- Clady/Clabo/Foster

LG- Blalock/Clabo

C- McClure/Cole/Datish

RG- Andrews/Batiste

RT- Weiner/Nicks/Foster

LE- Anderson/Davis

UT- Babineaux/Laws/Lewis

NT- Bryant/Lewis/Stanley

RE- Abraham/Ellis

SLB- Boley/Watkins

ILB- Wheeler/Taylor

WLB- Brooking/Nicholas

CB- Hall/Houston/Irons/Williams

FS- Williams/Crocker

SS- Milloy/Stone/Crocker

K- Carmody

P- Koenen

KR- Jennings/Jackson

PR- Jennings/Jackson

Thanks for reading, and comments are most definately appreciated. I began putting this together on the 13th I believe, and have been tweaking it on and off since then, and finally decided that it was time to post it, because every day I read new things and rankings change, yadda yadda yadda, so I pulled the trigger on it. But it took a very long time, and I sincerely hope you enjoyed it because I enjoyed writing it, and I think it might be my favorite mock draft so far. Who knows though.

Thanks again,

Mr. Offseason

looks good, but how did we end up with TB 2nd and 3rd rd pick?

also teams in the same division almost never make trades with each other in the draft..

but i really like the focus of your draft,The TRENCHES, a good QB in the second, were i think we will probably be able get one of the big 3, like woodson who i prefer....

Chad henne is starting to rise on boards, and could be the second QB come draft day

and the rest of your picks look good too.

also, i'm glad to see Wheeler finally getting noticed. Your description of him is extremely accurate. he's a very very heavy hitter, who has great closing speed, does very well with blitzes and the pass rush.

i'm a huge tech fan so i might have a touch of homerism on this one, but i would love to see him step in and fill the shoes of brooking when he hangs it up. if anything, maybe move brooking back to the weakside to split time with nicholas and train him as his replacement

Well, I'll say this , your talent evaluation is very good . Some of the best picks threw the whole draft I've seen , I'm not as high on Forte as some of you are but you probably know more about him than I do at this point.

But the only thing I do not like at all is the trade down unless Ellis is gone and he very well may be especially if Oak gets the 3rd pick .

No thanks giving our 1st for Ryan Clady. The Drafts very DEEP at LB nad OT. Would rather have Sedrick Ellis. With him, we will go 9-7 instead of 6-10 and we have a game changing stud for the next 10 yrs.

How often do DT's with the talent of Sedrick Ellis come along? Once every decade.

Quick! name the successor to Warren Sapp? Haynesworth? NOPE! (only in a contract year)!

sorry guys, i forgot to explain the trade with tampa bay! i always mess something up since i do these so late, so i guess we know what it was this time huh?

anyways, we trade down our 2nd round pick, probably about #35, for tampas 2nd and 3rd round selection since the way my draft went there were some good values for CBs very early in the 2nd, but i dont think theyd last through to their selection. thats where that stuff came from.

and i knew some would not like passing on sedrick ellis in favor of ryan clady, but in my defense i will say this. the draft is, indeed, deep at the OT position. but i would certainly not say this draft is deep in quality LT's. Clady is the best of the bunch, imo, and if not the best he is second only to jake long. sam baker will be gone later in the first, and then there is a pretty big drop-off, ESPECIALLY if chris williams is selected in the 1st round like he did in my mock draft. who is going to be our steal at LT? jeff otah? john greco? gosder cherilus? the only 2 guys that i like enough to draft to play at LT are Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas and Tony Hills, OT, Texas, but Ryan Clady is far and away a better LT prospect and OT prospect than both of those players. and aside from those 2 guys, and the 4 i have going in the 1st round (thus out of reach, in this scenario, for us in the 2nd round) i do not see ANY OT prospects that i would be comfortable drafting and expecting to contribute and even be a reliable starter, much less a pro-bowler or stud LT. the blanket statement "this draft is deep in OT's" holds true, because there is a TON of RT talent in this draft, but the LT talent will rise up ahead of them (that explains Otah falling behind Long, Clady, Baker AND Chris Williams) which is why there could be 4 LT prospects selected in the 1st round, and maybe Otah to the Giants. After that, there are 2 guys that I'd like enough to bring in, and there are MANY more DT's that I would be comfortable drafting to play even just the UT position. For instance: Kentwan Balmer, DT, UNC, Dre Moore, DT, Maryland, Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame and those are just my favorites, there are other guys that I like too, just not as much as those 3. So, the argument that "this is a deep draft for OT" doesnt exactly do it for me, especially as an argument to pass on Ryan Clady who might be my favorite prospect in the draft.

So, there's my rant on that.

Anyways, thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate the input and I'm very sorry about the confusion concerning the 2nd and 3rd round selection from Tampa Bay.

Mr. Offseason

I dont think there is a good chance that Clady is there @ 11 so I wouldnt make that trade if Clady was the traget. There is a good chance that he could go to either NYJ or CAR.

I know NYJ took Ferguson a couple years ago, but he has been somewhat of a disappointment, and they feel they are weak at the other OT spot. And word is CAR will lose either Wharton or Gross, and from what I hear Gross is the one they want more of the 2. He is their RT, and Clady would be a great value meets need pick @ their spot. Not to mention other teams in need to move up for him. moving to the 8-10 range is relatively affordable, so it would be a big risk to move down that far in hopes of a guy.

Now if you werent focusing on a single guy, the trade would be good, but in your BUF pick, I think you mentioned trading down for Clady.

1989fan (1/24/2008)
I dont think there is a good chance that Clady is there @ 11 so I wouldnt make that trade if Clady was the traget. There is a good chance that he could go to either NYJ or CAR.

I know NYJ took Ferguson a couple years ago, but he has been somewhat of a disappointment, and they feel they are weak at the other OT spot. And word is CAR will lose either Wharton or Gross, and from what I hear Gross is the one they want more of the 2. He is their RT, and Clady would be a great value meets need pick @ their spot. Not to mention other teams in need to move up for him. moving to the 8-10 range is relatively affordable, so it would be a big risk to move down that far in hopes of a guy.

Now if you werent focusing on a single guy, the trade would be good, but in your BUF pick, I think you mentioned trading down for Clady.

very good point, but i wasnt trading down just for clady, but i do love the idea of moving down for him. but adding another 2nd round selection plus having a very good shot at jonathan stewart who i have going just a few picks later. but i definately think the jets would go for mcfadden or gholston before clady, and i think the panthers would love to get kenny phillips, because that is far and away their biggest need, and QB (so brohm) would make a lot of sense too, maybe more than getting clady. obviously there are other options there, but i felt confident enough in the fact that he could be there and that wed have other options after we did move down to make the trade.

Mr. Offseason (1/24/2008)
1989fan (1/24/2008)

very good point, but i wasnt tradindown just for clady, but i do love the idea of moving down for him. but adding another 2nd round selection plus having a very good shot at jonathan stewart who i have going just a few picks later. but i definately think the jets would go for mcfadden or gholston before clady, and i think the panthers would love to get kenny phillips, because that is far and away their biggest need, and QB (so brohm) would make a lot of sense too, maybe more than getting clady. obviously there are other options there, but i felt confident enough in the fact that he could be there and that wed have other options after we did move down to make the trade.

Oh, OK. It just read that you traded down for him, since it said Ellis or Clady, etc...in the BUF pick.

I am torn on trading down. usually I feel if you are in a spot for an elite talent, you take it, but this would be a good year to have 3 #2s. I would have a VERY hard time passing on Ellis though.

Regarding CAR, I am sure they would like Phillips, but when you have a need @ FS and LT, usually you take the OT, especially if the talent level is about equal.

i agree it would be extremely hard to pass on ellis, and if we dont move down then there is no way we dont draft him. however, having 3 2nd round selections, as you said, would be extremely valuable in this draft. but, we already have 2 so we dont have to be greedy, and i think adding ellis could change our defense. but adding clady could help change our offense too.

i guess its good to have options at least.