Marcellus Wiley is popular (long)

fsu_steve

Wiley is certainly an interesting guy. He is clearly bright and articulate. He graduated from Columbia. He is not a dumb guy. OTOH he seems to have a habit of pissing people and organizations off.

In 2003 after a poor performance by then teammate Drew Brees he publicly called for Brees to be benched in favor of Doug Flutie. Bad form at the very least. Especially in a season in which he made huge money to produce three sacks.

After the season Wiley was released. The Chargers took an 8.5 million dollar cap hit to get out from under his contract. His reaction:

He was asked if he thought he was being made a scapegoat for a defense that, gutted of five veteran starters to begin the season, allowed a league-high 36 touchdown passes, surrendered more points (441) than every other team but Arizona (452) and ranked last in touchdown percentage in the red zone, allowing opponents to cross the goal line on 70 percent of their possessions inside the 20.

"Definitely," Wiley said, "and the only way to put an exclamation mark behind that is to go out and shine this year, to show wherever I'm at that an unfair burden was put on my name and my jersey.

"I just tried to blindly follow the system, and it didn't pay off for me. I've had some injuries, obviously, but I've played well through injuries. Now, I'm just looking forward to being somewhere else where my true talents get to shine and be shown, rather than being someplace where I'm a product of the system."

He signed that offseason with the Cowboys, another fairly large contract. Then he took time out to visit with Rich Eisen and discuss Eli Manning's dissing of the Chargers in the NFL Draft.

Eisen: Now when Eli Manning was saying that during the draft, or it came out that Eli Manning had told the Chargers, "Do not pick me," were you sitting on your couch somewhere nodding your head silently?

Wiley: Nodding my head and smiling ear to ear. "Go ahead Eli, say it for me now!" It's different because I don't want to put the guys down because I still have tremendous respect for some of the guys and some of the coaches, but overall I do know where he's coming from. If you look at the history, especially in the last few years, they've a lot of talent go and pretty much the heart and soul in Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison. You see guys leave San Diego and springboard their career no matter what time of their career it is. So you see that, and then you see what's happened at the quarterback position -- I could understand where he was coming from.

He called Dallas "a breath of fresh air."

Life in Dallas was no better, he was released following one unproductive season.

The Dallas Cowboys cut defensive end Marcellus Wiley on Tuesday, just one season after he was their top free-agent signee. The move was widely expected and the team wasted no time doing it, as Tuesday was the first day Dallas could.

The Cowboys gave Wiley a $16 million, four-year contract last March because they expected him to regain the form that produced 13 sacks in 2001. But he had just three, none in the first 10 games. The team soured on him so much that he was often benched in obvious passing situations.

Wiley eventually complained that he wasn't put in the right situations, saying the team didn't use him as promised. He called it the worst season of his eight-year career.

Dallas took a 3.375 million dollar cap hit to be rid of him.

He then (2005) signed with the Jaguars where he was expected to start. That did not work out so well. He was limited to 11 games and had 6 tackles and 0 sacks. Surprisingly he was brought back the next year. Perhaps Mike Smith felt sorry for him. Despite missing 4 games with some groin problems he managed to double his tackle output to 13 but he still had 0 sacks.

Now in retirement he seems to talk a good bit. He does not care of LaDanian Tomlinson.

Add Marcellus Wiley to the list of media jack-***** who have questioned LaDainian Tomlinson s decision to not play in the AFC Championship game after the first two offensive series. To bolster his argument, Wiley, who was on ESPN s Mike n Mike radio show this morning noted that while he was with the Chargers between 01 and 03, LT was protected by the organization to a degree that he had never seen before . Wiley noted that physical contact with LT in contact drills during practice was forbidden and that L.T. rarely ever played in pre-season games

Oh yeah and he also does not like Bill Parcells or Jason Whitlock much.

He did give Arthur Blank this advice regarding the coaching search:

You re at a point where you ve just got to stop the bleeding, former NFL player and ESPN commentator Marcellus Wiley told PFW late last week. You need a bigger gauze than you ve been using this is not a flesh wound. The bleeding is deep, and it continues to get deeper.

It calls for drastic measures. You re trying to go for the big splash in Bill Parcells, you re trying to get the big coach and call Bill Cowher, but you have a situation that truly no one probably wants to touch because there are so many leaking holes.

I think I am going to take his criticism with a grain of salt. He is making quite the name for himself by saying controversial things but as a player he seemed to have exactly the type attitude the Falcons need to avoid. If Smith did not like Wiley that simply further boosts my opinion of the new coach.

fsu_steve (1/24/2008)
Wiley is certainly an interesting guy. He is clearly bright and articulate. He graduated from Columbia. He is not a dumb guy. OTOH he seems to have a habit of pissing people and organizations off.

In 2003 after a poor performance by then teammate Drew Brees he publicly called for Brees to be benched in favor of Doug Flutie. Bad form at the very least. Especially in a season in which he made huge money to produce three sacks.

After the season Wiley was released. The Chargers took an 8.5 million dollar cap hit to get out from under his contract. His reaction:

He was asked if he thought he was being made a scapegoat for a defense that, gutted of five veteran starters to begin the season, allowed a league-high 36 touchdown passes, surrendered more points (441) than every other team but Arizona (452) and ranked last in touchdown percentage in the red zone, allowing opponents to cross the goal line on 70 percent of their possessions inside the 20.

"Definitely," Wiley said, "and the only way to put an exclamation mark behind that is to go out and shine this year, to show wherever I'm at that an unfair burden was put on my name and my jersey.

"I just tried to blindly follow the system, and it didn't pay off for me. I've had some injuries, obviously, but I've played well through injuries. Now, I'm just looking forward to being somewhere else where my true talents get to shine and be shown, rather than being someplace where I'm a product of the system."

He signed that offseason with the Cowboys, another fairly large contract. Then he took time out to visit with Rich Eisen and discuss Eli Manning's dissing of the Chargers in the NFL Draft.

Eisen: Now when Eli Manning was saying that during the draft, or it came out that Eli Manning had told the Chargers, "Do not pick me," were you sitting on your couch somewhere nodding your head silently?

Wiley: Nodding my head and smiling ear to ear. "Go ahead Eli, say it for me now!" It's different because I don't want to put the guys down because I still have tremendous respect for some of the guys and some of the coaches, but overall I do know where he's coming from. If you look at the history, especially in the last few years, they've a lot of talent go and pretty much the heart and soul in Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison. You see guys leave San Diego and springboard their career no matter what time of their career it is. So you see that, and then you see what's happened at the quarterback position -- I could understand where he was coming from.

He called Dallas "a breath of fresh air."

Life in Dallas was no better, he was released following one unproductive season.

The Dallas Cowboys cut defensive end Marcellus Wiley on Tuesday, just one season after he was their top free-agent signee. The move was widely expected and the team wasted no time doing it, as Tuesday was the first day Dallas could.

The Cowboys gave Wiley a $16 million, four-year contract last March because they expected him to regain the form that produced 13 sacks in 2001. But he had just three, none in the first 10 games. The team soured on him so much that he was often benched in obvious passing situations.

Wiley eventually complained that he wasn't put in the right situations, saying the team didn't use him as promised. He called it the worst season of his eight-year career.

Dallas took a 3.375 million dollar cap hit to be rid of him.

He then (2005) signed with the Jaguars where he was expected to start. That did not work out so well. He was limited to 11 games and had 6 tackles and 0 sacks. Surprisingly he was brought back the next year. Perhaps Mike Smith felt sorry for him. Despite missing 4 games with some groin problems he managed to double his tackle output to 13 but he still had 0 sacks.

Now in retirement he seems to talk a good bit. He does not care of LaDanian Tomlinson.

Add Marcellus Wiley to the list of media jack-***** who have questioned LaDainian Tomlinson s decision to not play in the AFC Championship game after the first two offensive series. To bolster his argument, Wiley, who was on ESPN s Mike n Mike radio show this morning noted that while he was with the Chargers between 01 and 03, LT was protected by the organization to a degree that he had never seen before . Wiley noted that physical contact with LT in contact drills during practice was forbidden and that L.T. rarely ever played in pre-season games

Oh yeah and he also does not like Bill Parcells or Jason Whitlock much.

He did give Arthur Blank this advice regarding the coaching search:

You re at a point where you ve just got to stop the bleeding, former NFL player and ESPN commentator Marcellus Wiley told PFW late last week. You need a bigger gauze than you ve been using this is not a flesh wound. The bleeding is deep, and it continues to get deeper.

It calls for drastic measures. You re trying to go for the big splash in Bill Parcells, you re trying to get the big coach and call Bill Cowher, but you have a situation that truly no one probably wants to touch because there are so many leaking holes.

I think I am going to take his criticism with a grain of salt. He is making quite the name for himself by saying controversial things but as a player he seemed to have exactly the type attitude the Falcons need to avoid. If Smith did not like Wiley that simply further boosts my opinion of the new coach.

Wiley is a TOOL!!!!!