Jimmy Williams....Reggie Nelson

heyydanny

OK, i know last year many wanted us to draft Reggie Nelson from Florida because we needed safety improvement....then after drafting CB Chris Houston in the 2nd, Jimmy had to convert to FS, Jimmy did struggle if you watched any games during preseason which lead to him not playing much or even starting in the regular season. Jimmy's highlight i believe was when he got his first INT against San Fran.

in his rookie season Reggie recorded 5 ints , hopefully with Mike Smith he can finally help Jimmy to improve to better heights.

07724151027_jimmywilliams250.jpg6d1187559523-reggie-nelson.jpg

heyydanny (1/23/2008)
OK, i know last year many wanted us to draft Reggie Nelson from Florida because we needed safety improvement....then after drafting CB Chris Houston in the 2nd, Jimmy had to convert to FS, Jimmy did struggle if you watched any games during preseason which lead to him not playing much or even starting in the regular season. Jimmy's highlight i believe was when he got his first INT against San Fran.

in his rookie season Reggie recorded 5 ints , hopefully with Mike Smith he can finally help Jimmy to improve to better heights.

He'll have a better oportunity with Mike Smith.

I hate to sound negative; I honestly do. But I don't think Williams is going to end up being in Nelson's class as a safety. I hope to be wrong about that, but I feel strongly that if Willaims doesn't show significant improvement this coming season then he will go down as a "miss" in the draft.

I would love to draft Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie and move him to saftey. He is a bit of a tweener like Jimmy, but he has better all around ball skills. I haven't given up on Jimmy yet, but it is clear that we are not going to resign Crocker. He better step up or TD needs to fill that hole too.

chris30277 (1/23/2008)
I would love to draft Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie and move him to saftey. He is a bit of a tweener like Jimmy, but he has better all around ball skills. I haven't given up on Jimmy yet, but it is clear that we are not going to resign Crocker. He better step up or TD needs to fill that hole too.

-the cousin of the the INT leader Antonio Cromartie from San Diego

chris30277 (1/23/2008)

DRC is a horrible tackler. He is a pure cover CB. I dont know where you think he would be a good S.

If we want a cover FS we should hope for Reggie Smith to fall to round 2.

geraldg (1/24/2008)
I should be in the war room for the Falcons on draft day. I prayed for them to draft Cromartie in 2006 and Nelson last year. Now, in 2008, we have questions at the CB (Houston??) and the safety position.

i think we have to give houston a shot. plus we have bigger needs than corner and safety right now.

heyydanny (1/23/2008)

Yes he did struggle a bit in Preseason, he played well when given the opportunity during the season. His problem was not being put into the regular rotation. He play FS on all nickel formations most of the year so how is that he was so bad? It may have been that Crocker was playing well enough to keep him out of the lineup.

bossFALCON (1/24/2008)
geraldg (1/24/2008)
I should be in the war room for the Falcons on draft day. I prayed for them to draft Cromartie in 2006 and Nelson last year. Now, in 2008, we have questions at the CB (Houston??) and the safety position.

i think we have to give houston a shot. plus we have bigger needs than corner and safety right now.

Didn't say that those positions were priorities. Just that in 2006 and 2007, they definately were and we whiffed on a potential star and superstar.