Our new head coach, who was chosen after careful due-diligence, comes with an impressive resume and a rock-solid reputation around the League. Fans may not know him well as they do some of the other candidates interviewed, but we're going to do everything we can to familiarize you with Mike Smith. (And personally, I think you're going to like what you see.)

In that spirit, we've got about 15 minutes of Coach Smith's time Thursday after the 3 p.m. press conference. We're not going to ask the questions - you are.

Here's how.

redbird56 (1/23/2008)
i got an error message when i tried to sumbit mine. oh well.

I did too this is what it said. :P

Server Error in '/POST' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BlogEntry.Publish: Blog.PublishEntry: System.Exception: Blog.BuildEntryContent2: Blog.BuildEntryContent1: BlogEntry.ParseEntry: System.Exception: Blog.ParseEntryCommentsAndTrackbacks: ParseBasicUserTags: The file 'isilon01blogsportblogsuseruserfiles85E185E16CC4-7E8E-4E8E-9B33-BB5379A3E29Eprofile{854BD729-1E46-4FCF-ADF4-B81AD7D97CF3}profilephoto.jpg' already exists.

at PortObjects.Blog.ParseEntryCommentsAndTrackbacks(String sEntry, BlogEntry oE, Boolean bJSEncode)

at PortObjects.Blog.ParseEntry(String sText, BlogEntry oE, Boolean bShowProtected)

at PortObjects.Blog.BuildEntryContent(String sTemplate, Guid gBlogEntryID, eTarget sTarget)

at PortObjects.Blog.PublishEntry(Guid gID, BlogEntry oEntry, eTarget sTarget)

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Exception: BlogEntry.Publish: Blog.PublishEntry: System.Exception: Blog.BuildEntryContent2: Blog.BuildEntryContent1: BlogEntry.ParseEntry: System.Exception: Blog.ParseEntryCommentsAndTrackbacks: ParseBasicUserTags: The file 'isilon01blogsportblogsuseruserfiles85E185E16CC4-7E8E-4E8E-9B33-BB5379A3E29Eprofile{854BD729-1E46-4FCF-ADF4-B81AD7D97CF3}profilephoto.jpg' already exists.

at PortObjects.Blog.ParseEntryCommentsAndTrackbacks(String sEntry, BlogEntry oE, Boolean bJSEncode)

at PortObjects.Blog.ParseEntry(String sText, BlogEntry oE, Boolean bShowProtected)

at PortObjects.Blog.BuildEntryContent(String sTemplate, Guid gBlogEntryID, eTarget sTarget)

at PortObjects.Blog.PublishEntry(Guid gID, BlogEntry oEntry, eTarget sTarget)

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[Exception: BlogEntry.Publish: Blog.PublishEntry: System.Exception: Blog.BuildEntryContent2: Blog.BuildEntryContent1: BlogEntry.ParseEntry: System.Exception: Blog.ParseEntryCommentsAndTrackbacks: ParseBasicUserTags: The file 'isilon01blogsportblogsuseruserfiles85E185E16CC4-7E8E-4E8E-9B33-BB5379A3E29Eprofile{854BD729-1E46-4FCF-ADF4-B81AD7D97CF3}profilephoto.jpg' already exists.

at PortObjects.Blog.PublishEntry(Guid gID, BlogEntry oEntry, eTarget sTarget)]

post.Blog.postcomment.btnSave_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1401

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +105

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +107

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1746

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

We're addressing the error message, but please know that if you get the error message, your question has been received. The comment actually gets emailed to us, even though you get the error.

Sorry for the inconvenience - we'll have this fixed soon. But again, your questions (which are all quite good!) are coming through to us despite the error.

Feel free to send a message to J. Mike via his profile page with your question for Coach Smith - we'll collect questions from there, as well.

Thank you very much for this mods.

When I click I don't even get to try to submit, as soon as I click that link this is what I see.

System.Exception: Blog.Publish.4: System.Exception: Blog.BuildEntryContent2: Blog.BuildEntryContent1: BlogEntry.ParseEntry: System.Exception: Blog.ParseEntryCommentsAndTrackbacks: ParseBasicUserTags: The file 'isilon01blogsportblogsuseruserfiles85E185E16CC4-7E8E-4E8E-9B33-BB5379A3E29Eprofile{854BD729-1E46-4FCF-ADF4-B81AD7D97CF3}profilephoto.jpg' already exists. at PortObjects.Blog.ParseEntryCommentsAndTrackbacks(String sEntry, BlogEntry oE, Boolean bJSEncode) at PortObjects.Blog.ParseEntry(String sText, BlogEntry oE, Boolean bShowProtected) at PortObjects.Blog.BuildEntryContent(String sTemplate, Guid gBlogEntryID, eTarget sTarget) at PortObjects.Blog.Publish(Guid gID, eType sType, eTarget sTarget) at PortObjects.Blog.Publish(Guid gID, eType sType, eTarget sTarget) at post.Blog.blog_default.GetEntryContent(String sEntryID)

Moderator (1/24/2008)
OK - if you're having any technical issues at all, please also feel free to simply post your reply in this thread. We will read every question in this thread up until about 1 p.m. tomorrow.

Keep 'em coming!

Okay, here's mine. And thanks to everybody that's putting this together. Great idea!!!

Coach Smith,

Being a defensive-minded coach, what advantages do you personally feel the 4-3 defense has over a 3-4 defense? If a good opportunity arose, would you be willing to hire a defensive coordinator that does run a 3-4 scheme, or do you already intend to keep the 4-3 scheme here in Atlanta?

---Stephen from Kennesaw, GA

Thanks Mod.

I just wanted to ask the new coach...

1.) You like to mix up man and zone coverage it seems, but our defensive backs are better when locked up in man coverage. Are you going to coach them up to your scheme, or will it benefit you to have cornerbacks like Deangelo Hall (not that Mathis was a slouch) and Chris Houston (young but has shown flashes of incredible talent) to just stick them in man coverage so you can mix up blitzes more?

2.) People overlook the injuries that you had to deal with this year in J-ville on the defense, yet you were able to put a consistently performing defense on the field, I know it was a team effort by the coaching staff down there, but a lot of people are giving you the credit for coaching backups into playing above their perceived talent level, and kept the defense as a whole performing at a high level while masking the holes. Some fans here have been critical of the lack of blitzes by the Jags this season, would the injury problem have a lot to do with that, or do you like to play it more conservatively?

No problem - again, we'll be monitoring this thread and the comments to J. Mike's blog (when we fix the glitch) for all of your questions. Thanks for taking the time to submit.

We're going to do a lot more of these types of interactive things within FalconsLIFE in the future.

And wait until you see what we have cooked up for the Draft.

Me thinky you all will likey.

Coach Smith,

Looking back at the Jaguar's divisional playoff loss to New England, what would you do differently against Tom Brady and the Patriots? Do you think your defensive scheme was too conservative? It looked like Tom Brady was very comfortable in the pocket completing 26 of 28 passes for 262 yards and three touchdowns versus zero interceptions.

Thanks Mods,

--- Al from Los Angeles, CA

Coach Smith,

Out of all the players we drafted last year, which one of them really catch your interest as future major impact players on the team and why?

Best of Luck, James - A Lifetime Falcon Fan!

PS. I want to see our defense doing to opposing teams this year like what you did to us last year with the Jags.

A few questions for Coach Smith..

How long before I can be proud to be a Falcon fan again? What do you foresee as the "first steps" to rebuilding this organization? Why are you the best person for this job? What current system in the NFL do you see yourself modelling this franchise after? Will you attempt to create team centered more on a dominating defense (expected) or will you look to be more of an offensive powerhouse? What pieces of the puzzle do you think are missing in order to achieve your vision for this team?

As a diehard Falcon fan living in Saints country, I am trusting Mr. Blank, GM TD and now Coach Smith. I don't want another '07 season...it's been brutal here. I look forward to wearing my Red and Black with pride again...soon.

Continue the NFC South tradition one more time...worst to first...

Coach Smith,

You have inherited some very young and potentially great players on defense in Michael Boley, Trey Lewis, Jonathan Babineaux, Jamaal Anderson and Chris Houston. Have you had a chance to see much of them on film? And what sort of visions do you have for them and our defense as a whole?

guy0nthec0uch in Texas